Maple Leaf Foods Reviews

Updated April 18, 2015
140 reviews filtered by

Finance dept allows u to grow if u want it

Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great ppl
    Good learning experience
    Consistently positive learning Curve

Cons

No work life balance
    Sometimes unrewarding.

Advice to Management

Hire me a minion.

2. Great learning experience

Former Employee - Director in Toronto (Australia)
    Former Employee - Director in Toronto (Australia)

I worked at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for varied experiences. Very strong brand name and good compensation. Strong disciplined approach to analysing processes and performance. Great networking opportunities. Overall, good products and strong Corporate pride in the Company.

Cons

To some degree an 'old boys club' atmosphere, extremely long hours - your work can actually become your life. Often don't think things through to the end which can result in frustration and burn out. Top heavy management structure.

Advice to Management

Streamline the top management - to help reduce overheads. Try to look behind the aura of individual 'star' employees and assess them objectively on an ongoing basis.

3. So disappointed with this Company

Current Employee - IS Analyst in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - IS Analyst in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, many people trying to do the right thing, great future vision, great products;

Cons

Old boys club; too many people who have been there forever and are resistant to change; excessive politics; subjective performance appraisal based on popularity not results; poorchange management; disorganized execution; top heavy management

Advice to Management

Walk your values; minimize politics, manage based on results not relationships

5. The one star overall rating for this company is over generous.

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time

Pros

Repeat...The one star overall rating for this company is over generous.

Cons

Cons

We are not a manufacturing company, we’re a sales and marketing company?

We’re one of Canada’s top 10 work cultures? Do you really think any employee, especially a large ethnic base will tell the truth to a consulting company when they are terrified for their jobs. Don't tell me how the company is being run. We already know.

Quality of supervision is sub par. You have to know people. You have to be a master psychologist. You can't be a coach unless the player has been taught. Give me something that wants me to be a great employee.

When the company started losing money there was more focus on the operations and management side when it was too late.

You can be sure that if Corporate has their hands in it at the plant level it’s like the Feds.

MLF has a bad reputation in the marketplace for intimidation and bullying tactics from Senior and Production Supervisors.

Never use a company's EAP. Don’t you think there is a conflict of interest? I highly doubt that matters are kept confidential and am sure files are read.

Six sigma. This is a money waster. Paying people huge salaries to try and save the company money with an out of date concept. Guess what… we’re still losing money. Terminate them all, save the company money, and put a suggestion box in every plant. If a money saving idea is implemented, pay the employee 20% of the first years savings and you will be further ahead.

HR Manager and Production Supervisors are hired to keep the employee morale high?

They can’t keep people and they can’t make money.

It has huge debts. Selling off divisions and closing plants to pay down a huge debt load.

$21.7M Q4 loss that’s over $60M for 2013! The last three months of the year are historically the biggest revenue generating months and we still lost over $21M! Operating losses will continue for 2014. Sometimes you have point the finger for blame and usually it’s not at the bottom. I know we have a Board of Directors but whose in charge?

IT- Five minute fixes take 6 months to get resolved and then they want you to spend 12 hours preparing a business case to justify it. They do this hoping you will just go away

A Performance Management System which is subjective.

MLF is proud of their commitment to support salaried employees in creating and executing a personalized development plan every year. It is MLF’s most important commitment they make to us and our personal growth. What commitment?

The company asks “What’s my aspiration?” as an employee. Mine is to retire as soon as I can.

The only one that can enhance my career is me? If you are passionate about your career and serious about putting in the effort, be prepared to work 10-12 hour days. Now if you come in 1 hour early everyday on a $50k salary you are not getting paid $6250. Still want to come in early or stay late???

February was “Random Acts of Kindness” month. You could win prizes if you committed to completing five random acts of kindness. We only need to be kind to our fellow employees one month of the year?

SAP-Need we say more? Mounds of paperwork. Can you see the bottom of your desk? The SAP Center at San Jose is an American indoor arena, located in San Jose, California. Its primary tenant is the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League. I can tell you that if the hockey arena in my city was called that i wouldn't be going to any hockey games.

I just came from the bank to get an RRSP loan. They told me they have other clients at Maple Leaf Foods. Then they asked me why there was such a high turn over rate at my facility.

Most office jobs are sedentary and if you sit more than 6 hours per day then you have a 15% greater chance than everyone else to be part of the disability pool.

Advice to Management

You figure it out. What's wrong with this picture?

Overall good place to work for if you want to be in a food industry.

Current Employee - Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Big Company, well -know, good pay and alot of locations across Canada.

Cons

Long and odd hours, no value for employees

7. Great training

Former Employee - Labouror in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Labouror in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good training, bonuses, some good people

Cons

poor home-life balance, management does not live up to the company values

Advice to Management

Live the values you expect your employees to live by

8. It was a good place to work for .

Former Employee - HACCP Coordinator in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - HACCP Coordinator in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good environment to work in. nice office

Cons

Lots of office politics, Could be better

9. "Good values and HR systems"

Former Employee - Production Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

place company values highly, especially during review time. Focusses people on behaviors as well as results.

Cons

Like all large companies, can be cumbersome at times.

Advice to Management

Don't lost touch with how to motivate employees

10. Excellent employer

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The employees at Maple Leaf are among some of the best I have ever worked with.

Cons

There are too many high level employees.

Advice to Management

They need to cut down the number of high level employees and hire more of the middle level etc.

11. Auditor's dream job

Current Contractor - Management Consultant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Management Consultant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent meeting rooms mostly equipped with large screens. RBC's lunch room has reasonably priced, good tasting food. Parking is free. Security can be trusted.

Cons

Sr. Management not ethical yet want employees to be ethical decreases respect for Sr. Management, increasing prevalence for fraud, in attempt to be just like Sr. Management for promotion.

Advice to Management

Live your posted values to decrease risk to the Hamilton plant.