Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
3.3

Richard A. Peddie

Best bartending job ever!!

Current Employee - Bartender in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Bartender in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hourly rate is the highest in the industry since it is unionized and tips are decent
    Flexible schedule, we get the schedule of events months in advance and sign up sheet out the 5th of every month for the next month - great for planning
    Nice short shifts are 4-5 hours - you make your $$ and you're out
    Staff discounts and Ontario reciprocal program is great
    Fun events - who wouldn't wanna work sporting events and concerts :)

Cons

Easy to get written up - very strict on cash shortages/overages
    Seniority based so if you are new, hard to get shifts and you will be required for shifts you don't sign up for if they are short-staffed. It took me several years to build my seniority and now I get the shifts I want and I don't get required for shifts (great for me but not so much for newer staff but everyone has to do their time - I did and it paid off)
    Some supervisors and managers are on a power kick and need to be nicer and more respectful to staff (most are cool though)
    Sometimes the rotation of stands is not fair and consistent - there is favoritism that happens and that is not cool

Be fair with rotation of stands and stop favoring certain employees
    Have more employee appreciation events with some free drinks and food more often
    Reward employees more often for good performance
    Reward employees with free tickets to events - we'd love discounts on Leaf games and concerts

Mean

Current Employee - Vendor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Vendor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-get to see free games and shows

Cons

1) Part time staff enter through a "poor door."
    We literally have a separate door that we enter through. There's even two employee doors at BMO Field. One is super fancy, and one is just a door that's very unappealing. We enter through the latter.

2) They request doctor notes.
    A cash cow of a company that offers no health plan wants you to provide them with doctor's notes. They should offer some sort of health package for their part time staff if they want us to provide them with this sort of service. Think about it: it's costing our health care system lots of money to get doctor's to provide this service. On top of the fact that a health note runs for about $15 a piece out of your own pocket.

3) They try to short you on hours.
    Show up 5 minutes late, that's a full 15 minutes docked off your shift. Clock out at 9:55, you only get paid until 9:45. Whereas if you clocked out 5 minutes later, you get paid till 10pm.

4) Management complains a lot
    "We have 1500 part time staff to manage." MLSE is a bloated company with so many middle managers. I have been at this company for 2 years and I am so TIRED of hearing human resources complain about the amount of part-time staff. There's enough of you – and your policies including submitting calendars by a certain date – that this shouldn't be a problem.

5) You are treated like a number.
    They don't care to know your name.

6) No room for growth.
    Everything is organized into separate departments. Marketing doesn't care that you're a really great vendor who probably knows their customer better than they do. You actually don't meet anyone important outside of you department.

7) Our vendor room is small.
    There are about 20 of us squeezed into a 20 foot by 20 foot room with loads of inventory everywhere.

8) Treated like a hostile opposition.
    Upper management in their ivory towers aren't your friend at MLSE. There are so many hoops you have to jump through to work here. From getting time docked if you're a minute late to entering through the poor door, you are made to feel like you are not important.

Honestly, there's so much more I can go on about. But these are the main points. I feel as though MLSE is a very mean, hostile company. I think they need to take a step back and look at how they treat their staff if they want to continue providing the best service to their fans.

Offer a health plan.

Lack of a winning culture

Current Employee - Bar Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Bar Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Bonuses such as Raptors and concert tickets
    -Ability to move up if you play your cards right

Cons

-Unionized atmosphere seems to make people lazy

-Create a winning culture. Not just for your sports teams but for the employees.

amazing when you're young...

Former Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

high energy place with lots of young talented staff. Often had the chance to take on projects, events and brands well above the experience level peers at other firms were given. Working in sports is fun and you meet some amazing people. if you like challenge and high profile work, this spot is for you.

Cons

often thrown in the deep end and each success and failure stays with you...rightly or wrongly. If you aren't on the premier brands/events you're 2nd class. it's expected you'll work 24/7 and with no complaints....they subtly point out quite frequently that for everyone one of you, there are 1000 resumes waiting.

Cool place to work but no work life balance

Former Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun to be associated with the best sports brands in the country. Work with great people, lots of energy and vibe. great benefits and vacation but hard to actually use the vacation. When Richard and Tom were there had strong vision and values that really drove the company in a positive direction.

Cons

low pay leadership was great but that has all changed. no more training, development, recognition. if you are in sales or marketing its a great place to work.

bring back vision and values

Not What You First Expect

Current Employee - Usher in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Usher in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall great company to work with. Lots of events during September - April, and decent shifts during the summer months with soccer and concerts. Hourly pay ($15.86/hr starting) is by far the highest I've seen for a part-time job in the atmosphere we work. Discount of 35% off food and merchandise, and the occasionally concert discount tickets. Great communication between upper management/ game staff managers to the event staff. One of my favourite features of our scheduling system, is the Vortext messaging service. If you signup for a shift, but aren't scheduled and if any open shifts are available afterwards, you're sent a text message with the opportunity of grabbing the shift. Game staff are part of a union, so great support if we need to speak with a union rep.

Cons

Company is seniority based, so shifts are given out based on your seniority. Really hard to grab decent events if you're just starting, but I was told by my current supervisor during my interview that if we can hold out for about a year, we'll start seeing an increase in shifts we sign up for. Leafs and Raps games are next to impossible to work unless you've been there for a year or two. All the soccer games seem to favour towards the new staff, as the older ushers don't signup for those shifts. Sad part is the scheduling department can force you to work an event if not enough staff signup for it. You have the ability to call in your scheduled/ required shifts, however every call in you make effects your attendance record, so if you don't work 90% of your scheduled or required shifts, you risk termination following the end of their 'season', which runs a full year from July 1st - June 30th the next year. You can however go to a grievance hearing to fight it, since we are part of a union.

Decrease the percentage of required shifts from 90% down to 75% or 80%. People have other jobs, and obviously when they don't sign up for a shift, they cannot work it, so why make them be required to work it.

Great for students

Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to experience the games, concerts and events when you are on your break.

Most shifts are scheduled on weekends and the pay is definitely better than any minimum wage job you can find (Mcdonalds, Starbucks, etc.)

Cons

Unionized environment which means you will get crappy shifts if you are new. The people that work with you can be a hit or miss as well.

Stop favoring certain employees. It's very unprofessional and creates a high school-like environment.

Working for MLSE is good and bad

Pros

great atmosphere to work in the sports industry
    meet professional athletes and work with great people
    great culture and environment

Cons

pay is not that great
    not a lot of career advancement opportunities

Terrible environment, no training, no accountability by any level of staff.

I worked at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting experience. Have to dig deep and work for yourself (not always a bad thing). Some nice people.

Cons

Everyone is miserable, overworked (hourly) and underpaid. Pay is extremely low, especially for the hours. Good luck ever booking time off, and be ready to work over time whenever it is "asked of you". There is NO sense of culture. Disorganized is an understatement. No reward for good/hard work.

great place to work but.. and its a big BUT!

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time

Pros

nhl nba games live , concerts, fun environment great co workers decent pay

Cons

can only miss 10% of total shifts! .. do not get many shifts to begin with either.also based on seniority

ease up on the 10% rule. otherwise great place to work