Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
3.2

Richard A. Peddie

amazing when you're young...

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

high energy place with lots of young talented staff. Often had the chance to take on projects, events and brands well above the experience level peers at other firms were given. Working in sports is fun and you meet some amazing people. if you like challenge and high profile work, this spot is for you.

Cons

often thrown in the deep end and each success and failure stays with you...rightly or wrongly. If you aren't on the premier brands/events you're 2nd class. it's expected you'll work 24/7 and with no complaints....they subtly point out quite frequently that for everyone one of you, there are 1000 resumes waiting.

No words

Current Employee - Assistant Manager, Events  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager, Events in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great group of people to work with

Cons

Lots of hours, no compensation

Cool place to work but no work life balance

Former Employee - Operations  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun to be associated with the best sports brands in the country. Work with great people, lots of energy and vibe. great benefits and vacation but hard to actually use the vacation. When Richard and Tom were there had strong vision and values that really drove the company in a positive direction.

Cons

low pay leadership was great but that has all changed. no more training, development, recognition. if you are in sales or marketing its a great place to work.

bring back vision and values

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not What You First Expect

Current Employee - Usher  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Usher in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall great company to work with. Lots of events during September - April, and decent shifts during the summer months with soccer and concerts. Hourly pay ($15.86/hr starting) is by far the highest I've seen for a part-time job in the atmosphere we work. Discount of 35% off food and merchandise, and the occasionally concert discount tickets. Great communication between upper management/ game staff managers to the event staff. One of my favourite features of our scheduling system, is the Vortext messaging service. If you signup for a shift, but aren't scheduled and if any open shifts are available afterwards, you're sent a text message with the opportunity of grabbing the shift. Game staff are part of a union, so great support if we need to speak with a union rep.

Cons

Company is seniority based, so shifts are given out based on your seniority. Really hard to grab decent events if you're just starting, but I was told by my current supervisor during my interview that if we can hold out for about a year, we'll start seeing an increase in shifts we sign up for. Leafs and Raps games are next to impossible to work unless you've been there for a year or two. All the soccer games seem to favour towards the new staff, as the older ushers don't signup for those shifts. Sad part is the scheduling department can force you to work an event if not enough staff signup for it. You have the ability to call in your scheduled/ required shifts, however every call in you make effects your attendance record, so if you don't work 90% of your scheduled or required shifts, you risk termination following the end of their 'season', which runs a full year from July 1st - June 30th the next year. You can however go to a grievance hearing to fight it, since we are part of a union.

Decrease the percentage of required shifts from 90% down to 75% or 80%. People have other jobs, and obviously when they don't sign up for a shift, they cannot work it, so why make them be required to work it.

Great for students

Former Employee - Kitchen Helper  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to experience the games, concerts and events when you are on your break.

Most shifts are scheduled on weekends and the pay is definitely better than any minimum wage job you can find (Mcdonalds, Starbucks, etc.)

Cons

Unionized environment which means you will get crappy shifts if you are new. The people that work with you can be a hit or miss as well.

Stop favoring certain employees. It's very unprofessional and creates a high school-like environment.

Working for MLSE is good and bad

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great atmosphere to work in the sports industry
    meet professional athletes and work with great people
    great culture and environment

Cons

pay is not that great
    not a lot of career advancement opportunities

Terrible environment, no training, no accountability by any level of staff.

I worked at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Interesting experience. Have to dig deep and work for yourself (not always a bad thing). Some nice people.

Cons

Everyone is miserable, overworked (hourly) and underpaid. Pay is extremely low, especially for the hours. Good luck ever booking time off, and be ready to work over time whenever it is "asked of you". There is NO sense of culture. Disorganized is an understatement. No reward for good/hard work.

Demands to be your top priority.

Current Employee - Beer Vendor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Beer Vendor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Reciprocal program (free access to Toronto landmarks such as The AGO, etc.)
    -Decent pay

Cons

-Shifts are short, no breaks
    -It's hard to get to BMO Field. You end up getting stuck in traffic a lot, so it's hard to justify going down just for a really short shift
    -Bad attitude of supervisors
    -Their prices are extremely high, so people don't end up tipping as much
    -A very physically demanding job
    -Uniforms aren't in stock
    -Since the new CEO came into power, staff events have gotten more boring and I feel less appreciated as an employee

I find the attitude of supervisors are probably impacted by management. Maybe try treating everyone with a little more respect, so there's a trickle down effect.

great place to work but.. and its a big BUT!

I have been working at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment part-time

Pros

nhl nba games live , concerts, fun environment great co workers decent pay

Cons

can only miss 10% of total shifts! .. do not get many shifts to begin with either.also based on seniority

ease up on the 10% rule. otherwise great place to work

Absolutely Amazing

Former Employee - Global Partnership  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Global Partnership in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment as an intern for less than a year

Pros

great company culture. Big emphasis on intrinsic value

Cons

Few opportunities to move up the company, very competitive

Worked for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!