Mapleton Public Schools Reviews

CEO

1. Some things to consider

Former Employee - Classified Staff Member in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Classified Staff Member in Denver, CO

Pros

This is both a con and a pro depending on your particular outlook: Site-based leadership Each school's director has a lot of ability and control to lead their specific model. I my opinion, this is a pro. I think it's good that the district does not dole out one-size-fits-all schools. Each site has it's own atmosphere, learning model, and goal but they also strive to meet state and federal standards. I also like that director's abilities are carefully assessed, ensuring the best school/director fit while taking student needs into account. Every director has a good chance to demonstrate their strengths, and every summer they are carefully assessed. Change for the sake of student and staff success is a good thing! I've worked in each school extensively and I love seeing different learning styles being met in different ways. That's my favorite thing about this district.

Cons

Site-based leadership. I think some people confuse a problem with their particular school as a problem with the district itself. This is a district of choice, and one director will not have the same style as the others. You might get a director you don't work well with, but the same is true anywhere. Here you have a bit more choice. I think the IT department is currently terrible, but I think that will change in the future. I'm confident that the current director of IT is so completely awful that it's only possible to improve the situation!

Advice to Management

Keep trying new things.

2. Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

Pros

Small school district creates a sense of community. Leaders have great intentions and support staff to the best of their ability.

Cons

Constant change is difficult to deal with. Teacher and student turnover is high. Class size is too large. Students with emotional issues and behavior problems need to be supported more.

Advice to Management

Reduce class size so that teachers have the time to really get to know students. Allow teachers some freedom to use their own creativity to reach their students.

3. Will miss the students, will not miss HR favoritism

I worked at Mapleton Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Community Loved working with the students The choices afforded to families is pretty comprehensive given the resources available

Cons

There seem to be no discernible standards concerning how HR decides on salaries. Across all levels of staff you will find very strange pay arrangements. It seems that the people the staff in HR likes will get the best pay. The HR manager uses very interesting justifications for the disparities and refuses to negotiate pay. They also don't check into people's resumes to verify their qualifications. I know quite a few people without GED's or proper certifications that are employed within their Classified staff. A lot of focus, however imperfect, is placed on their Certified staff, while Classified staff are sort of forgotten. All of the custodians and paraprofessionals I have spoken with feel this way. HR also spreads gossip freely in an apparent misunderstanding of the idea that they should treat employee matters with care and confidentiality.

Advice to Management

HR Department needs to be completely replaced.

5. Love this place!!

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School

Pros

Great little school district with the benefits of a large district and the feel of a family! Great people all around! From the very top of the organization and throughout the district - people care about on another!

Cons

Not enough money to meet the needs!

Advice to Management

Hang in there. Thanks for keeping our school board positive.

6. Obvious nepotism and favoritism from the superintendent down..

Pros

The student population is diverse and offers a rich community feeling.

Cons

Some of the population is transient, class lists change quite often

Advice to Management

Start recognizing the early childhood programs as feeders who are doing work relevant to the test scores 3rd grade and up are pulling in.

7. Minimal support for new teachers, new evaluation system, superintendent that loves to "switch things up" every few years

Current Employee - Teacher in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Mapleton Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

small district, family feel, somewhat competitive salary

Cons

small district, lacking funding for support, poor leadership, superintendent likes to change admin regardless of success in all schools, nepotistic at the top, very little support or understanding for new teachers

Advice to Management

change everything

8. It's a positive environment with a small family feeling.

Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Mapleton Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teamwork, positive community, high student success and growth

Cons

Lots of uncompensated overtime hours

RSS Feed </> Embed