Maplin Electronics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Keith Pacey

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An extremely enjoyable place to work, very rewarding when helping customers with your knowledge, but underpaid.

Part Time Sales Advisor (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsNot sat behind the till beeping items, actually engaging with people and using your brain.
    Solving customer's dilemmas is really rewarding, especially if they appreciate it so much they come back to speak to you again, or recommend you to a friend.
    Excellent place to work if your a geek like me, allows you to speak passionately about the things you love.

ConsUnderpaid for the knowledge required to do the job. Whilst the job is far more rewarding and enjoyable than being a "till monkey" at Tesco, I believe wage packets do need to be increased a bit. Maplin isn't as big a company as Tesco, and may not be able to afford £7.50 an hour like they can, but somewhat of an increase would be welcomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that good sales advisers are given a paycheck to represent their worth

Too much pressure and not enough praise.

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Wimbledon, England (UK)

ProsGreat teams, easy to get on with colleagues. Depending on your manager, holiday time was easy to arrange. Interesting product range with new items introduced on a regular basis, and was easy to learn about them as they were brought in.

ConsToo many targets with not enough praise when they're met. If targets were met, they'd just give you more unrealistic targets to meet and then criticise when these weren't met. Company often took advantage of staff wishing to move up in the company, for example I was regularly doing an assistant managers job and managing the entire time on a standard sales advisor salary, until finally being promoted but at a lower pay grade than colleagues in the same role. Returns policy was also terrible, with staff being penalised for a high level of returns, when customers were well within their consumer rights.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow real appreciation to teams who work hard to achieve their goals, and offer them real opportunities to rise up in the company rather than trying to keep them at the lowest salary possible while pushing them to do more managerial roles.

Underpaid In-store security guards

Step-Up Manager (Former Employee)
    Basingstoke, England (UK)

ProsRange of products to learn about, get to meet regulars.

ConsExpected to act as a security guard on minimum wage, even when company policy demands that items such as hard drives are on the shelves live instead of locked away with dummy boxes. Store management also changes almost every 6 months which makes it extremely hard to progress as you have to re-prove yourself constantly.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty Good, getting better

Croydon, England (UK)

ProsLarge product range and growing, much more branded items rather than Maplin own brand making it a more trustworthy place to buy tech.

Consneed more promotion opportunities and better perks.

Fired staff for small mistake. Poor customer service. Low quality overpriced Chinese products.

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsCosy uniform, easy daily tasks, single-minded manager. We had a friendly environment, with good hard working staff. Relatively cheap staff prices.

ConsThe company should care much more about it's staff. We had been robbed every day as part of lunch break had not to been paid in contract with contract and staff book.
     No extra money for daily overtime, like closing procedure. Head office does not respect loyalty, trustworthy and no forgiveness even for small mistakes. Just the money what it's matter, staffs and their life mean nothing to this company. Shame you lost a carrier minded staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to take side with any staff against Head Office.
     Also please give more chance to staff who would like to progress. Company should spend a bit more for the security.

Good only while studying at University to get a proper job.

Sales (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsFlexible hours which is good while your studying at University or College.

ConsUnbelievably stupid customers, you can get bad experiences! Bad wages! Poor break scheme! Cant take any holidays in November or December. Head Office have bad communications with staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe workers are not valued. Working for Maplin is just like slave labour.

Very bad place to work

Ex Sales Assistant for III Months (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGoing home/finishing shift and having an hour break.

ConsGetting told if you don't ask customers for add-ons, if they don't buy what you offer them management think you are not asking correctly - its because they don't want the item!
    Not taking their postcode for data capture gets you in trouble too!
    Weird rude customers thinking they can talk to you like rubbish!
    Refusing refunds because there is a microscopic mark on the item, therefore it is deemed 'not resalable' (bad returns policy)
    Having to watch shoplifters and receive abuse from them as some stores don't have security (and when you refuse you get an informal)
    Managers talking to you like crap in front of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCrap rolls downhill

Poor from the word go

Sales Advisor (Former Employee)
    Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsThe people; people you work with are always incredible, very knowledgeable. I have learnt a lot working at Maplin

ConsStarting off with the minimum wage salaries and working times that change weekly, leading on to shifts changing without warning. You end up doing the job of 12 people, cleaning, serving customers, stock control, delivery, goods out, returns, customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, I would build the training program at maplin, the sales advisors have a tough job learning about products at stores with 3 management there is normally a 4th keyholder, that key holder is paid same wage to do 2x as much with loads more responsibility, train them up to a top level and then give them a raise and the title of "technical advisor"

under-paid, interesting and good

London, England (UK)

Prosget to learn new things everyday

Consjob is extremely under-paid and company does not give deserved respect or credit to those who deserve it the most

Advice to Senior Managementbreak down the usual structure of communication and try and get a direct link with the little people

Maplin Electronics

Wood Green, England (UK)

ProsMaplin under the new CEO has plans for growth, therefore many career opportunities.

ConsNone so far!..lunch breaks could be longer though!

Worked for Maplin Electronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Maplin Electronics reviews and ratings in London, UK — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Maplin Electronics CEO Keith Pacey. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Maplin Electronics employees.