Maplin Electronics

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015
3.3

Johnathan Cleland

Pros
  • The staff-discount is good, but one needs to compare prices elsewhere first ;) (in 6 reviews)

• Interesting product range with new items introduced on a regular basis, and was easy to learn about them as they were brought in (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Its very underpaid, minimum wage when you start and only seems to increase when you get older (in 11 reviews)

• I took a position in head office and within a month I could not wait to get out (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very enjoyable when meeting new people everyday. lovely staff to work with and learning about lots of things

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

i love learning new things about electronics.
    good incentives
    love the the idea of customers always 1st
    good work ethics

Cons

the pay could be a little higher.
    shifts end quite late
    no holidays in december
    only xmas day off, have to work boxing day and xmas eve

to have someone from head office visit our stores in london to personally see the hard work we do

Working here motivated me to complete my degree

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Harrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Harrow, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- It tied in a bit with my studies in Computer Systems Technology
    - Good discounts on own branded products
    - OK discounts on branded goods
    - Plenty of exercise
    - Scope for progression if full time, even if salary was woefully pathetic
    - It was only part time

Cons

- Awful work life balance - you are expected to turn up early to open the shop for free and the same with the closure of the shop. Some stores this could mean well over 10 hours per day on your feet
    - Only 2 half hour breaks in every day (why don't they just allow a full hour break like the normal work place)?
    - Store Managers were racked with incompetence - all they knew how to do was to point their staff to vacant customers and bark "Go", stand there looking pretty and pace up and down on the same spot. Any difficult queries on refunds or discounts and they suddenly retreated to their office.
    - Very little protection from the idiotic customers who used to tell you how you were wrong when in fact they were.
    - Pay was borderline minimum wage - there was scope for progression but the remuneration was rather poor
    - Head office reports and audits were a demoralising joke. The people who conducted these reports would give unrealistic targets as they have never ventured from out behind their desks and worked in retail like most of us. They had no clue on the population of the catchment area or the customer flow the stores resided in so it would surprise them when a store in the middle of nowhere achieves well below the targets!

The head office needs to hire people who were previous in Maplin stores and therefore actually have a clue about how things should run. Sending "model shops" and targets without having any idea of the challenges faced in the shops simply demoralises workers and in turn causes these requests to simply be ignored.

Store managers should be leading by example not stranding at the back giving orders. That means being out there on the front line, being visible to the customers rather than simply pacing up and down in a line at the front of the shop and then hiding in the office when a difficult customer turns up.

If your staff are fairly remunerated, you will most likely get better results out of them as well. Expecting opening and closing for free is not really fair. After all, we are talking about a difference between £5.20 £10.40 tops per day which would be recuperated in good sales if the staff have the energy.

I may well have continued my career here full time had it not been for such poor remuneration packages.

Some of my best memories

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was an enjoyable company to work for, filled with some of the nicest and most entertaining colleagues you could ever hope to work alongside.

Cons

The pay wasn't great and the hours could be terrible from time to time but nothing out of the ordinary for retail.

Upper management were often out of touch with the front end of the company as a whole, with policies in place that sometimes encouraged behaviour that would be detrimental to customer service, especially regarding refunds, sale of add-ons, adding to mailing lists etc.

Great place to work with a team, can be tiring.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time (more than a year)

Pros

In Maplin you will receive plenty of training, on how to deal with customers and how to follow the retail procedures. It's a good place to develop your customer service skills. In the mean time you will also stay up to date with all the tech- gadget news. Working hours are flexible, so you wont lose your private life. It is good for people doing part-time. It is easy to get promoted as long as you trained and you follow the right procedures.

Cons

The biggest con I think is that; some members of management would still need to be trained up or replaced as sometimes they don't follow up the procedures and do a lot of mistakes. The other thing is if you're a part-timer, you wont be able to get promoted. You can only be a sales adviser as if we compare it to other retail businesses, some of them offer those opportunities. Also on the salaries they could do a little bit better....

I would advise the management to perform a regular checks on the store-management team; like STLs, AMs and SM. To check how are they doing.

Amazing store teams let down by pitiful Management decisions

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great teams in store, with a strong team ethic in most shop-staff members... Staff discount can be quite reasonable on some items

Cons

Management have no idea what they're talking about with regards to key aspects of the business. To add insult to injury they make staff complete a survey about these points; which they then completely ignore year on year.

Pay a fair Living Wage
    Pull your heads out of the sand / each others' bottoms and pay attention to your most important staff
    STOP relying on customer ignorance to make a profit. Our customers 5 years ago are too intelligent to pay our ridiculous prices when our stock levels are so unreliable... Our competitors are too good for us to be this poor.

Too much pressure and not enough praise.

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Wimbledon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Wimbledon, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teams, easy to get on with colleagues. Depending on your manager, holiday time was easy to arrange. Interesting product range with new items introduced on a regular basis, and was easy to learn about them as they were brought in.

Cons

Too many targets with not enough praise when they're met. If targets were met, they'd just give you more unrealistic targets to meet and then criticise when these weren't met. Company often took advantage of staff wishing to move up in the company, for example I was regularly doing an assistant managers job and managing the entire time on a standard sales advisor salary, until finally being promoted but at a lower pay grade than colleagues in the same role. Returns policy was also terrible, with staff being penalised for a high level of returns, when customers were well within their consumer rights.

Show real appreciation to teams who work hard to achieve their goals, and offer them real opportunities to rise up in the company rather than trying to keep them at the lowest salary possible while pushing them to do more managerial roles.

An extremely enjoyable place to work, very rewarding when helping customers with your knowledge, but underpaid.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not sat behind the till beeping items, actually engaging with people and using your brain.
    Solving customer's dilemmas is really rewarding, especially if they appreciate it so much they come back to speak to you again, or recommend you to a friend.
    Excellent place to work if your a geek like me, allows you to speak passionately about the things you love.

Cons

Underpaid for the knowledge required to do the job. Whilst the job is far more rewarding and enjoyable than being a "till monkey" at Tesco, I believe wage packets do need to be increased a bit. Maplin isn't as big a company as Tesco, and may not be able to afford £7.50 an hour like they can, but somewhat of an increase would be welcomed.

Ensure that good sales advisers are given a paycheck to represent their worth

Underpaid In-store security guards

Former Employee - Step-Up Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Step-Up Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Range of products to learn about, get to meet regulars.

Cons

Expected to act as a security guard on minimum wage, even when company policy demands that items such as hard drives are on the shelves live instead of locked away with dummy boxes. Store management also changes almost every 6 months which makes it extremely hard to progress as you have to re-prove yourself constantly.

Love My Manager and my team

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

BRILLIANT FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE, lovely team

Cons

less pay, more work. if salary rises, everything will be great

Pretty Good, getting better

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Croydon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Croydon, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Large product range and growing, much more branded items rather than Maplin own brand making it a more trustworthy place to buy tech.

Cons

need more promotion opportunities and better perks.