Maplin Electronics

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Johnathan Cleland

If you want Experience, Knowledge and Challenge then this the place to work...

Sales Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work team environment , amazing employee discount, receive praise by customers from as little as finding the correct batteries to assisting in setting up the wildest ideas with various gadgets, gizmos and components. A chance to meet everyone from people who worked on nato missiles to millionaires running thermal VR headset driven quadcopter drones.

ConsExtremely behind the times in terms of I.T , EPOS used. I.T team stretched to the point that they can not offer adequate support in improving, or even fixing problems in appropriate time schedules. These problems are detectable at retail level. With these problems mentioned throughout the business.

The pay, being so low and restricted that if I was to except promotion to Assistant Manager it would come with no pay rise. Due to a heavy restriction in pay relating to a minimal amount of the stores performance despite store size.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you could improve the I.T team or hire/out source programmers to fix the pre 2000 website design and the half removed and half finished system used in stores it would be really lovely. The website just needs the parameters of the search engine to correctly match up with appropriate tags on items/stock.

The pay, at least make it appear like it competitive, and not just 20p above minimum wage.

its ok

London, MN

Prosrelaxed some time but good to serve customer

Conslow pay and rude customers

Advice to Senior Managementbe more cooperative

Great!

Telford, England (UK)

ProsManagers are brilliant ! such a wide variety of stuff and people! CCTV is the best part and oh the "product testing" !

Consirate customers who think prices are too high when actually we're about level with most places and regularly beat online offers!

Advice to Senior ManagementCARRY ON BEING AWESOME

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great colleagues, lovely customers.

Sales Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsThere is a genuine sense of camaraderie amongst store staff, even between other stores. Interesting challenges from customers' problems, and the customers themselves are generally VERY grateful and friendly. The working atmosphere is positive too, with the majority of staff being self-driven. The staff-discount is good, but one needs to compare prices elsewhere first ;)
    It's a great feeling of achievement when able to resolve a customer's problem!

ConsFor what is expected, the pay is appalling. For example; despite being "The tech guy" in our store I receive no form of remuneration for the extra work I do, on and off shift, or for the knowledge I have built-up and gained at my own expense. This will be common to most stores.
    The company provides NO TRAINING other than generic retail skills. All the "tech guys / girls / specialists" are self-taught.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows it is in imminent risk of its tagline "The electronics specialist" breaching the Trade Descriptions act. There is no training provided, nor is there incentive for staff members to build-up their technical knowledge. With more "key time" staff being taken on in favour of full-time employees, this situation will be exacerbated as the company grows…

Run by idiots.

Technical Sales (Former Employee)
    Newcastle, England (UK)

ProsI enjoyed working with many of my colleagues, there was a nice mix of people with various different backgrounds and knowledge of the products on sale. I felt like I learnt a lot from some of them, and it was good to be able to sell products I was passionate about to customers.

ConsThe in store management team was a joke, and was staffed exclusively by petty, nasty individuals. Whilst working for the company, I saw a distinct shift from a body of knowledgeable, enthusiastic staff to a group who were bitter, constantly under threat of disciplinaries and who were led by staff who had no interest in good customer service. I saw intelligent, hard-working, loyal employees get nowhere, whilst the management opted to bring in higher level staff who were actually clueless. Also, some of the products are shockingly over priced, and we were expected to push add ons, catalogues, capture mailing addresses at the till. This often led to customers getting quite fed up (understandably so).

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your staff more. They are the front line, and are representative of the company more than anyone else. Good customer service and sound advice are what used to make Maplin different from the likes of Currys/PC World etc. but that seems to have gone out of the window in favour of selling awful rubbish that no one needs or wants. To be honest, I'm amazed the company is still going - Claus Olsen does the same as Maplin, but far, far better. They also treat their staff with a great deal more respect.

A new challange every day

Sales Advisor (Current Employee)
    Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsFast paced ever changing environment, with different problems to solve everyday for customer to get up and going with there tech needs.
    have had the privilege of helping the make a wish foundation break a world record, to aiding production companys make props for TV and film

ConsDue to geographically location of my store there is not as much room for progression at this time , but the company is defiantly moving in a great direction and perhaps that will change.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to sale advisor feed back of suggested products. We are in the firing line of customer requests, not the buyers.

An extremely enjoyable place to work, very rewarding when helping customers with your knowledge, but underpaid.

Part Time Sales Advisor (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsNot sat behind the till beeping items, actually engaging with people and using your brain.
    Solving customer's dilemmas is really rewarding, especially if they appreciate it so much they come back to speak to you again, or recommend you to a friend.
    Excellent place to work if your a geek like me, allows you to speak passionately about the things you love.

ConsUnderpaid for the knowledge required to do the job. Whilst the job is far more rewarding and enjoyable than being a "till monkey" at Tesco, I believe wage packets do need to be increased a bit. Maplin isn't as big a company as Tesco, and may not be able to afford £7.50 an hour like they can, but somewhat of an increase would be welcomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that good sales advisers are given a paycheck to represent their worth

Excellent job

Lead Content Executive (Current Employee)
    Rotherham, England (UK)

ProsGreat advice great service very knowledgeable staff

ConsNone the service i got was excellent

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good training

Most enjoyable place to work in I have experienced

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsEngaged colleagues, close relationships with peers, satisfaction from doing a good job

ConsProcess driven organisation, wages are less than market average

Great experience

Sales Advisor (Former Employee)
    Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsOne of the few places in the UK high street to sell the products it does, including great staff discount which has been increased from cost-price to around 25% for the large majority of items. A majority of the changes made since starting at Mapln have been very positive, increasing relations with customers in regards to no-quibble guarantees and massive improvements to how the stores are organised and products displayed.

ConsSales targets are too heavily emphasized, if you work in a successful shop then fantastic but management pressure can cause unnecessary stress. The knowledge base you are expected to know or have recall-able information for is huge! It took me a long time to even get to know half the products Maplin sell. Company regularly goes through a lot of change with management and direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementWebsite still lacks cohesion, found the new interface much better but search is poor and categories have become a mess! Training is necessary for product ranges, my shop had implemented a peer mentoring system for specific product areas so people with higher product knowledge in specific areas could expand to other employees

Worked for Maplin Electronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Maplin Electronics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Maplin Electronics CEO Johnathan Cleland. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Maplin Electronics employees.