Maplin Electronics

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
3.3

Johnathan Cleland

Pros
  • The staff-discount is good, but one needs to compare prices elsewhere first ;) (in 6 reviews)

• Interesting product range with new items introduced on a regular basis, and was easy to learn about them as they were brought in (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Its very underpaid, minimum wage when you start and only seems to increase when you get older (in 11 reviews)

• I took a position in head office and within a month I could not wait to get out (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun and diverse place of work.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning new things and solving problems on a daily basis.

Cons

Low pay, expected to be knowledgeable without any training.

Increase pay, train staff.

its ok

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, MN

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

relaxed some time but good to serve customer

Cons

low pay and rude customers

be more cooperative

Horrible company to work for, stay well clear of of Maplin unless you want to get treated badly.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

staff discount
    a new challenge with the customers everyday
    alright hours

Cons

management attitude
    treated like a dog
    the pay is awful
    abuse from customers
    horrible jobs

Don't treat your staff like a piece of crap. Up the min wage from £5.03-£5.20 because it isn't worth it doing this job and stop being so tight.

Great team but poor values.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The in-store team were great to work with and always offering to help me with things that I didn't understand yet. Everyone was always really friendly and helpful.

Cons

Company values claimed to be helping the customer find the things they needed that they most likely couldn't find in other shops but management focus was always on performance targets and profit margins. Focus on profit was to the extent that trying to upsell whilst working at the till started to feel like harassment of the customer because we had to try and upsell at least three different products. It made working on the tills an uncomfortable experience that I wouldn't want to repeat.

Offer more help in training staff to upsell but also be more understanding that some people just don't feel comfortable trying to up-sell so many different products when people are struggling in the current economic climate.

Part time sales advisor

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Alot of new technology at your fingertips before most people are even aware of their existence. You'll leave a much more knowledgeable of consumer electronics. Head office defend and protect the little people well from store managers that forget professionalism at home.

Cons

Even after being here for years my pay is still on minimum wage. This is a company wide culture from sales advisor to managers everyone seems to be paid ridiculously low for their immense hard work and excessive contribution to the company. I work in london zone 4 and I'm paid the minimum possible, I was shocked that the same principle is applied to those working in central london stores too where money pours in simply to the high footfall let alone the products and services we sell.

Implement a valuation system that asesses the pay of individuals and attempt to show that you value your experienced employees and wish to retain them in the company. Stop the modern day slave labour scheme that pay us peaunuts for what we do. Even cleaners get more than we do. It's such an embarrassing feeling to think i've committed myself to working for the bare minimum year after year.

Very enjoyable when meeting new people everyday. lovely staff to work with and learning about lots of things

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

i love learning new things about electronics.
    good incentives
    love the the idea of customers always 1st
    good work ethics

Cons

the pay could be a little higher.
    shifts end quite late
    no holidays in december
    only xmas day off, have to work boxing day and xmas eve

to have someone from head office visit our stores in london to personally see the hard work we do

a pleasure to work for a successful company

Former Employee - Sales Adviser/Step Up Team Leader in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Adviser/Step Up Team Leader in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

had a good team to work with, no hassle from area team, friendly and helpful, easy courses to progress in company (be prepared to move store if needed, this is due to management not wanting to progress further) comfortable shifts

Cons

constant promo changes...
    don't even get me started with christmas, but all retailers are like that regardless,
    customers who claim to 'know someone' from trading standards because they are out of their warranty period
    not a great deal of overtime available.

Don't make staff redundant

Some of my best memories

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was an enjoyable company to work for, filled with some of the nicest and most entertaining colleagues you could ever hope to work alongside.

Cons

The pay wasn't great and the hours could be terrible from time to time but nothing out of the ordinary for retail.

Upper management were often out of touch with the front end of the company as a whole, with policies in place that sometimes encouraged behaviour that would be detrimental to customer service, especially regarding refunds, sale of add-ons, adding to mailing lists etc.

Great place to work with a team, can be tiring.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In Maplin you will receive plenty of training, on how to deal with customers and how to follow the retail procedures. It's a good place to develop your customer service skills. In the mean time you will also stay up to date with all the tech- gadget news. Working hours are flexible, so you wont lose your private life. It is good for people doing part-time. It is easy to get promoted as long as you trained and you follow the right procedures.

Cons

The biggest con I think is that; some members of management would still need to be trained up or replaced as sometimes they don't follow up the procedures and do a lot of mistakes. The other thing is if you're a part-timer, you wont be able to get promoted. You can only be a sales adviser as if we compare it to other retail businesses, some of them offer those opportunities. Also on the salaries they could do a little bit better....

I would advise the management to perform a regular checks on the store-management team; like STLs, AMs and SM. To check how are they doing.

The people in the company were great to work with.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the staff discount on some items but not all, the time off policy was standard but i found the best part of working there was the interaction with the customers who made the day either flow by quickly or stop in its tracks.
    The other staff are generally really helpful and nice, where I worked, i would generally enjoy going to work and having a laugh while dealing with the customers.

Cons

Pay was bordering minimum wage, I was 5p over minimum wages while i worked there, some days there isn't enough staff and others there's to much staff, but generally understaffed. In some cases it was one rule for one person and another for someone else

Le way when it comes to the staff, if they have been working hard and hitting the targets a bit of recognition will go a long way.. such as giving maybe 5 mins extra break as a reward or letting people leave a little earlier (depending on the days demand) When the store is quiet let them do the work but have there phones be hide the till, there's nothing worse then waiting for someone to come in to the store and having to wait behide the till because your managers told you that you have to man the till, no ifs no buts.