Maplin Electronics

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
3.3

Johnathan Cleland

Pros
  • The staff-discount is good, but one needs to compare prices elsewhere first ;) (in 6 reviews)

• Interesting product range with new items introduced on a regular basis, and was easy to learn about them as they were brought in (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Its very underpaid, minimum wage when you start and only seems to increase when you get older (in 10 reviews)

• I took a position in head office and within a month I could not wait to get out (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very enjoyable when meeting new people everyday. lovely staff to work with and learning about lots of things

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

i love learning new things about electronics.
    good incentives
    love the the idea of customers always 1st
    good work ethics

Cons

the pay could be a little higher.
    shifts end quite late
    no holidays in december
    only xmas day off, have to work boxing day and xmas eve

to have someone from head office visit our stores in london to personally see the hard work we do

a pleasure to work for a successful company

Former Employee - Sales Adviser/Step Up Team Leader in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Adviser/Step Up Team Leader in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

had a good team to work with, no hassle from area team, friendly and helpful, easy courses to progress in company (be prepared to move store if needed, this is due to management not wanting to progress further) comfortable shifts

Cons

constant promo changes...
    don't even get me started with christmas, but all retailers are like that regardless,
    customers who claim to 'know someone' from trading standards because they are out of their warranty period
    not a great deal of overtime available.

Don't make staff redundant

Some of my best memories

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was an enjoyable company to work for, filled with some of the nicest and most entertaining colleagues you could ever hope to work alongside.

Cons

The pay wasn't great and the hours could be terrible from time to time but nothing out of the ordinary for retail.

Upper management were often out of touch with the front end of the company as a whole, with policies in place that sometimes encouraged behaviour that would be detrimental to customer service, especially regarding refunds, sale of add-ons, adding to mailing lists etc.

Great place to work with a team, can be tiring.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In Maplin you will receive plenty of training, on how to deal with customers and how to follow the retail procedures. It's a good place to develop your customer service skills. In the mean time you will also stay up to date with all the tech- gadget news. Working hours are flexible, so you wont lose your private life. It is good for people doing part-time. It is easy to get promoted as long as you trained and you follow the right procedures.

Cons

The biggest con I think is that; some members of management would still need to be trained up or replaced as sometimes they don't follow up the procedures and do a lot of mistakes. The other thing is if you're a part-timer, you wont be able to get promoted. You can only be a sales adviser as if we compare it to other retail businesses, some of them offer those opportunities. Also on the salaries they could do a little bit better....

I would advise the management to perform a regular checks on the store-management team; like STLs, AMs and SM. To check how are they doing.

The people in the company were great to work with.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the staff discount on some items but not all, the time off policy was standard but i found the best part of working there was the interaction with the customers who made the day either flow by quickly or stop in its tracks.
    The other staff are generally really helpful and nice, where I worked, i would generally enjoy going to work and having a laugh while dealing with the customers.

Cons

Pay was bordering minimum wage, I was 5p over minimum wages while i worked there, some days there isn't enough staff and others there's to much staff, but generally understaffed. In some cases it was one rule for one person and another for someone else

Le way when it comes to the staff, if they have been working hard and hitting the targets a bit of recognition will go a long way.. such as giving maybe 5 mins extra break as a reward or letting people leave a little earlier (depending on the days demand) When the store is quiet let them do the work but have there phones be hide the till, there's nothing worse then waiting for someone to come in to the store and having to wait behide the till because your managers told you that you have to man the till, no ifs no buts.

Amazing store teams let down by pitiful Management decisions

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great teams in store, with a strong team ethic in most shop-staff members... Staff discount can be quite reasonable on some items

Cons

Management have no idea what they're talking about with regards to key aspects of the business. To add insult to injury they make staff complete a survey about these points; which they then completely ignore year on year.

Pay a fair Living Wage
    Pull your heads out of the sand / each others' bottoms and pay attention to your most important staff
    STOP relying on customer ignorance to make a profit. Our customers 5 years ago are too intelligent to pay our ridiculous prices when our stock levels are so unreliable... Our competitors are too good for us to be this poor.

Slave labour, no manners

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Salford, North West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's nice to be around technology

Cons

The technology is all very much over priced and you feel like you're ripping customers off. Most staff really don't care about anything and will spend the whole day lurking to avoid customers.
    Manager & Assistant manager also the same. No outside work is done, yet they are happy to shout at you to do 5 things in the space of a minute.

Grow up, seriously, you're both children, act professional.
    Actually listen to employees and their ideas rather than set them up to fail

interesting place to work that kept me up to date with all the latest tech

Former Employee - Technical Sales in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Sales in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you like gadgets and big boys toys its a good place to work as you are kept up to date with the latest in tech. working there also helped me learn new about tech in fields i had not thought of before such as solar gadget chargers. .

Cons

the pay was minimum wage and i felt some staff are more skilled than others and have a larger range of knowledge unfortunately this would usually mean a larger work load than other members of staff in the same pay grade e.g people with specialised knowledge who worked the technical desk and till make the same money as people working a till only.

consider creating a different wage structure to reward the people who have the specialised knowledge that is essential in making a sale compared to people who are hired to work the till only. you should also consider a better way of setting daily staff targets than basket size as this is NO true reflection on how hard staff are working e.g i could put £1000 pounds of expensive stock per day through the till per day with one or two items per sale and get hassle from management for not selling enough in each sale while another member of staff could run through £100 per day small items like resistors which tend to be bought in larger quantities and be told they are doing a good job. this is a major flaw and will cost the company good members of staff if it does not change.

There's lots of banter and every day is different!

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Harrogate, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Harrogate, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We have a great team, it's flexible, the management are good with staff and there's a lot of interaction between head office and the store.

Cons

The pay and benefits are poor, customers can be tricky and though there's a lot of interaction between head office and stores it feels as if head office go in one direction and us in another.

Pay and benefits needs to be looked at. There is not enough benefit from promoting to Sales Team Leader and upwards.

Not what it was.

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You tend to make friends with people when you have a common enemy (Maplin)... So I made some great friends during my three years.

Cons

Since John Cleland's takeover as CEO Maplin has seen growth quarter after quarter, and is slowly becoming more of a high street name. However, while Maplin has grown as a business, it has failed catastrophically to grow as an employer. Store staff have seen a ginormous increase in workload, usually caused by catering to the whims of product group managers at head office. This means that staff are forced to stay back after hours (often unpaid) to complete tasks that they were unable to complete during the day. Having staff focusing so much on tasks means that customers are often neglected. Maplin pays it's employees minimum wage, yet expects the world.

Pay your staff fairly.