Maplin Electronics Reviews in United Kingdom

3.3

Johnathan Cleland
1 Rating

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

There's lots of banter and every day is different!

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Harrogate, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Harrogate, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We have a great team, it's flexible, the management are good with staff and there's a lot of interaction between head office and the store.

Cons

The pay and benefits are poor, customers can be tricky and though there's a lot of interaction between head office and stores it feels as if head office go in one direction and us in another.

Pay and benefits needs to be looked at. There is not enough benefit from promoting to Sales Team Leader and upwards.

Nice atmosphere, nice variety of customers, poor management.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers and the content of the stores. I enjoy techy stuff and got a nice kick out of helping people find what they wanted. Good job satisfaction from this perspective.

Cons

Poor management. Focuses too much on the menial tasks like basket sizes and not enough appraisals for good work or room for personal development or growth. Makes entire staff unmotivated. Not a healthy working environment.

Need to focus more on your staff. Ensure they are content, well trained, informed and involved. Happy staff work better.

If you want Experience, Knowledge and Challenge then this the place to work...

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work team environment , amazing employee discount, receive praise by customers from as little as finding the correct batteries to assisting in setting up the wildest ideas with various gadgets, gizmos and components. A chance to meet everyone from people who worked on nato missiles to millionaires running thermal VR headset driven quadcopter drones.

Cons

Extremely behind the times in terms of I.T , EPOS used. I.T team stretched to the point that they can not offer adequate support in improving, or even fixing problems in appropriate time schedules. These problems are detectable at retail level. With these problems mentioned throughout the business.

The pay, being so low and restricted that if I was to except promotion to Assistant Manager it would come with no pay rise. Due to a heavy restriction in pay relating to a minimal amount of the stores performance despite store size.

If you could improve the I.T team or hire/out source programmers to fix the pre 2000 website design and the half removed and half finished system used in stores it would be really lovely. The website just needs the parameters of the search engine to correctly match up with appropriate tags on items/stock.

The pay, at least make it appear like it competitive, and not just 20p above minimum wage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Being tech savvy is what this is job is about.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having a small team means you can usually be quite friendly with your colleagues. You get to spend time playing with electronics of every kind. you get to learn a huge amount about electronics and IT. For hourly staff the hours can be reasonable, if not flexible. Salaried staff tend to sacrifice more of their own time.

Cons

The company doesn't appreciate it's assets. Without it's hard working and knowledgable staff the company would crumble over night. The general consensus with the public is that Maplin prices are extortionate and their stock is low quality. The only reason people shop there is for the customer service. The staff are paid near minimum wage, and I've seen managers constantly working overtime and not getting paid for it to keep the store running, and cover the holidays of their staff.

There is basically no opportunity to move up within the company. The 'benefits' are basically null.

I would provide knowledgable and experienced / hard working staff with an incentive to stay with the company.

Great!

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Telford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Telford, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers are brilliant ! such a wide variety of stuff and people! CCTV is the best part and oh the "product testing" !

Cons

irate customers who think prices are too high when actually we're about level with most places and regularly beat online offers!

CARRY ON BEING AWESOME

A new challange every day

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced ever changing environment, with different problems to solve everyday for customer to get up and going with there tech needs.
    have had the privilege of helping the make a wish foundation break a world record, to aiding production companys make props for TV and film

Cons

Due to geographically location of my store there is not as much room for progression at this time , but the company is defiantly moving in a great direction and perhaps that will change.

Listen more to sale advisor feed back of suggested products. We are in the firing line of customer requests, not the buyers.

Great colleagues, lovely customers.

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a genuine sense of camaraderie amongst store staff, even between other stores. Interesting challenges from customers' problems, and the customers themselves are generally VERY grateful and friendly. The working atmosphere is positive too, with the majority of staff being self-driven. The staff-discount is good, but one needs to compare prices elsewhere first ;)
    It's a great feeling of achievement when able to resolve a customer's problem!

Cons

For what is expected, the pay is appalling. For example; despite being "The tech guy" in our store I receive no form of remuneration for the extra work I do, on and off shift, or for the knowledge I have built-up and gained at my own expense. This will be common to most stores.
    The company provides NO TRAINING other than generic retail skills. All the "tech guys / girls / specialists" are self-taught.

As the company grows it is in imminent risk of its tagline "The electronics specialist" breaching the Trade Descriptions act. There is no training provided, nor is there incentive for staff members to build-up their technical knowledge. With more "key time" staff being taken on in favour of full-time employees, this situation will be exacerbated as the company grows…

Run by idiots.

Former Employee - Technical Sales  in  Newcastle, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Sales in Newcastle, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with many of my colleagues, there was a nice mix of people with various different backgrounds and knowledge of the products on sale. I felt like I learnt a lot from some of them, and it was good to be able to sell products I was passionate about to customers.

Cons

The in store management team was a joke, and was staffed exclusively by petty, nasty individuals. Whilst working for the company, I saw a distinct shift from a body of knowledgeable, enthusiastic staff to a group who were bitter, constantly under threat of disciplinaries and who were led by staff who had no interest in good customer service. I saw intelligent, hard-working, loyal employees get nowhere, whilst the management opted to bring in higher level staff who were actually clueless. Also, some of the products are shockingly over priced, and we were expected to push add ons, catalogues, capture mailing addresses at the till. This often led to customers getting quite fed up (understandably so).

Respect your staff more. They are the front line, and are representative of the company more than anyone else. Good customer service and sound advice are what used to make Maplin different from the likes of Currys/PC World etc. but that seems to have gone out of the window in favour of selling awful rubbish that no one needs or wants. To be honest, I'm amazed the company is still going - Claus Olsen does the same as Maplin, but far, far better. They also treat their staff with a great deal more respect.

Too much pressure and not enough praise.

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader  in  Wimbledon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Wimbledon, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great teams, easy to get on with colleagues. Depending on your manager, holiday time was easy to arrange. Interesting product range with new items introduced on a regular basis, and was easy to learn about them as they were brought in.

Cons

Too many targets with not enough praise when they're met. If targets were met, they'd just give you more unrealistic targets to meet and then criticise when these weren't met. Company often took advantage of staff wishing to move up in the company, for example I was regularly doing an assistant managers job and managing the entire time on a standard sales advisor salary, until finally being promoted but at a lower pay grade than colleagues in the same role. Returns policy was also terrible, with staff being penalised for a high level of returns, when customers were well within their consumer rights.

Show real appreciation to teams who work hard to achieve their goals, and offer them real opportunities to rise up in the company rather than trying to keep them at the lowest salary possible while pushing them to do more managerial roles.

Maplin is okay, but very underpaid

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time

Pros

Working at maplin is great, it has a wide product range, from transistors, diodes and resistors to home automation. The staff discount is good at 25%. The people who work there make it very enjoyable to work there. It would be good as a first job.

Cons

Its very underpaid, minimum wage when you start and only seems to increase when you get older. Quite work intensive as well.

Worked for Maplin Electronics? Contribute to the Community!