Maplin Electronics

Updated September 17, 2014
3.3

Johnathan Cleland

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

There's lots of banter and every day is different!

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Harrogate, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Harrogate, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We have a great team, it's flexible, the management are good with staff and there's a lot of interaction between head office and the store.

Cons

The pay and benefits are poor, customers can be tricky and though there's a lot of interaction between head office and stores it feels as if head office go in one direction and us in another.

Pay and benefits needs to be looked at. There is not enough benefit from promoting to Sales Team Leader and upwards.

interesting place to work that kept me up to date with all the latest tech

Former Employee - Technical Sales  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Sales in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

if you like gadgets and big boys toys its a good place to work as you are kept up to date with the latest in tech. working there also helped me learn new about tech in fields i had not thought of before such as solar gadget chargers. .

Cons

the pay was minimum wage and i felt some staff are more skilled than others and have a larger range of knowledge unfortunately this would usually mean a larger work load than other members of staff in the same pay grade e.g people with specialised knowledge who worked the technical desk and till make the same money as people working a till only.

consider creating a different wage structure to reward the people who have the specialised knowledge that is essential in making a sale compared to people who are hired to work the till only. you should also consider a better way of setting daily staff targets than basket size as this is NO true reflection on how hard staff are working e.g i could put £1000 pounds of expensive stock per day through the till per day with one or two items per sale and get hassle from management for not selling enough in each sale while another member of staff could run through £100 per day small items like resistors which tend to be bought in larger quantities and be told they are doing a good job. this is a major flaw and will cost the company good members of staff if it does not change.

Not what it was.

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You tend to make friends with people when you have a common enemy (Maplin)... So I made some great friends during my three years.

Cons

Since John Cleland's takeover as CEO Maplin has seen growth quarter after quarter, and is slowly becoming more of a high street name. However, while Maplin has grown as a business, it has failed catastrophically to grow as an employer. Store staff have seen a ginormous increase in workload, usually caused by catering to the whims of product group managers at head office. This means that staff are forced to stay back after hours (often unpaid) to complete tasks that they were unable to complete during the day. Having staff focusing so much on tasks means that customers are often neglected. Maplin pays it's employees minimum wage, yet expects the world.

Pay your staff fairly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice atmosphere, nice variety of customers, poor management.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers and the content of the stores. I enjoy techy stuff and got a nice kick out of helping people find what they wanted. Good job satisfaction from this perspective.

Cons

Poor management. Focuses too much on the menial tasks like basket sizes and not enough appraisals for good work or room for personal development or growth. Makes entire staff unmotivated. Not a healthy working environment.

Need to focus more on your staff. Ensure they are content, well trained, informed and involved. Happy staff work better.

If you want Experience, Knowledge and Challenge then this the place to work...

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work team environment , amazing employee discount, receive praise by customers from as little as finding the correct batteries to assisting in setting up the wildest ideas with various gadgets, gizmos and components. A chance to meet everyone from people who worked on nato missiles to millionaires running thermal VR headset driven quadcopter drones.

Cons

Extremely behind the times in terms of I.T , EPOS used. I.T team stretched to the point that they can not offer adequate support in improving, or even fixing problems in appropriate time schedules. These problems are detectable at retail level. With these problems mentioned throughout the business.

The pay, being so low and restricted that if I was to except promotion to Assistant Manager it would come with no pay rise. Due to a heavy restriction in pay relating to a minimal amount of the stores performance despite store size.

If you could improve the I.T team or hire/out source programmers to fix the pre 2000 website design and the half removed and half finished system used in stores it would be really lovely. The website just needs the parameters of the search engine to correctly match up with appropriate tags on items/stock.

The pay, at least make it appear like it competitive, and not just 20p above minimum wage.

Being tech savvy is what this is job is about.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having a small team means you can usually be quite friendly with your colleagues. You get to spend time playing with electronics of every kind. you get to learn a huge amount about electronics and IT. For hourly staff the hours can be reasonable, if not flexible. Salaried staff tend to sacrifice more of their own time.

Cons

The company doesn't appreciate it's assets. Without it's hard working and knowledgable staff the company would crumble over night. The general consensus with the public is that Maplin prices are extortionate and their stock is low quality. The only reason people shop there is for the customer service. The staff are paid near minimum wage, and I've seen managers constantly working overtime and not getting paid for it to keep the store running, and cover the holidays of their staff.

There is basically no opportunity to move up within the company. The 'benefits' are basically null.

I would provide knowledgable and experienced / hard working staff with an incentive to stay with the company.

Great colleagues, lovely customers.

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a genuine sense of camaraderie amongst store staff, even between other stores. Interesting challenges from customers' problems, and the customers themselves are generally VERY grateful and friendly. The working atmosphere is positive too, with the majority of staff being self-driven. The staff-discount is good, but one needs to compare prices elsewhere first ;)
    It's a great feeling of achievement when able to resolve a customer's problem!

Cons

For what is expected, the pay is appalling. For example; despite being "The tech guy" in our store I receive no form of remuneration for the extra work I do, on and off shift, or for the knowledge I have built-up and gained at my own expense. This will be common to most stores.
    The company provides NO TRAINING other than generic retail skills. All the "tech guys / girls / specialists" are self-taught.

As the company grows it is in imminent risk of its tagline "The electronics specialist" breaching the Trade Descriptions act. There is no training provided, nor is there incentive for staff members to build-up their technical knowledge. With more "key time" staff being taken on in favour of full-time employees, this situation will be exacerbated as the company grows…

Great!

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Telford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Telford, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers are brilliant ! such a wide variety of stuff and people! CCTV is the best part and oh the "product testing" !

Cons

irate customers who think prices are too high when actually we're about level with most places and regularly beat online offers!

CARRY ON BEING AWESOME

A new challange every day

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced ever changing environment, with different problems to solve everyday for customer to get up and going with there tech needs.
    have had the privilege of helping the make a wish foundation break a world record, to aiding production companys make props for TV and film

Cons

Due to geographically location of my store there is not as much room for progression at this time , but the company is defiantly moving in a great direction and perhaps that will change.

Listen more to sale advisor feed back of suggested products. We are in the firing line of customer requests, not the buyers.

An extremely enjoyable place to work, very rewarding when helping customers with your knowledge, but underpaid.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Advisor  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not sat behind the till beeping items, actually engaging with people and using your brain.
    Solving customer's dilemmas is really rewarding, especially if they appreciate it so much they come back to speak to you again, or recommend you to a friend.
    Excellent place to work if your a geek like me, allows you to speak passionately about the things you love.

Cons

Underpaid for the knowledge required to do the job. Whilst the job is far more rewarding and enjoyable than being a "till monkey" at Tesco, I believe wage packets do need to be increased a bit. Maplin isn't as big a company as Tesco, and may not be able to afford £7.50 an hour like they can, but somewhat of an increase would be welcomed.

Ensure that good sales advisers are given a paycheck to represent their worth

Worked for Maplin Electronics? Contribute to the Community!