Marathon Oil

Updated November 26, 2014
3.7

Marathon Oil CEO Lee Tillman
Lee Tillman

Pros
  • Possible to have some of the best work / life balance in the industry (in 21 reviews)

• Flexible 9/80 is great for work/life balance and competitive benefits (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Career advancement limited to Engineers (in 4 reviews)

• The good-old-boy system is alive and well at Marathon (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Grass is not greener - hard to find a more satisfying company to work for in the E and P sector.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Recruited to Marathon and interested in its unique blend of entrepreneurial freedom and process controls. Seemed just about right. Found that Marathon went the extra-mile for employees with "scarce-skills". First rate facilities, benefits, amenities and employee quality of life. Can be a proud, productive and fulfilled employee.

Cons

Strong paradigms of long term employees often hard to shed resulting in resistance to change with the company, it's business strategy and the times. Increasing controls overhead dampens productivity.

Continue to differentiate Marathon from its competitors and retain the competitive advantage in attracting talent. Find oil and grow organically.

Very nice place to work.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly staff, nice offices. The interview was very relaxed and the HR reps made it very comfortable. A very low stress experience.

Cons

None that I am aware of.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People are great, they care that you learn as much as you can. I really enjoyed my time working there.

Cons

Hard to move up, company going through a hard time right now because of the split. They are still trying to find their identity.

Take more risk with your portafolio

Good place to start

Current Employee - Adv Geologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Adv Geologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance with 9/80 flexible schedule, gym, 401, etc..
    Senior staff is allways willing to help.
    No massive layoffs even in the bad times.

Cons

Stratigical direction of the comany isn't quite clear.
    The only constant thing is a new supervisor every year or even six months.
    Poor manegement of low or high performers. Whater you do, you get about the same..

Marathon offers its employees opportunity for growth and development.

Current Employee - Advanced Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Advanced Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gives back to the community, supports career development, promotes safety awareness

Cons

Needs a little more organization

A company behind the times

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Marathon has decent pay and good benefits. If you can manipulate people then you will be able to get raises without doing much actual work. This is a great company for people who are poor performers.

Cons

Every decision is made by company politics and corporate bureaucracy. There are few opportunities for promotion outside of the field. Rather than acting as a single organization with a common goal, each department takes an "our way or the highway" approach that prevents work from being done. The "good-old-boy" network and flagrant nepotism make many workers untouchable. The managers are greedy, self-serving, and refuse to take responsibility for their inept leadership.

Not good for technically strong employees, Managers lack minimum technical depth and understanding

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is great. Flex days can be taken on any day of the week. Family friendly company. It is a great company if you lack technical depth and but can build relationships. You can spend your entire without adding any real value to company.

Cons

Good technical work is never recognized. There is a bias in promotions. Managers lack technical depth and often promote people based on individual liking. There is no incentive to do good quality technical work. Most of Reservoir Engineers at senior level are technically challenged and can only do budget work. You will hardly ever find Reservoir Engineers presenting in technical conferences. Very little diversity - in terms international employees with higher degrees. Culture is not good for international employees with other nationalities. If you are dumb but a slick talker, this company is made for you.

Management should convey to employees that good quality technical work is still king. They should reward hard working and technically strong people, who add value. This will not happen unless they get rid of poor performing middle level managers.

It was a nightmare to intern here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the gym there. It was the best part of my day working at Marathon. They provide a lot of resources for employees including van pools, and a cafeteria inside of the office building.

Cons

The leadership seems so hands off. At my first and last day at my previous company I met and talked with the CEO. Here, I didn't even know who my supervisor was. I was advised not to get to know leadership because they wouldn't have time to get to know me. There is a shortage of employees so the amount of work that needs to get done isn't. Most upsettingly, least than 10% of employees are new student grads so it's hard to meet people you'd like to hang out with at work. HR can do a better job at structuring the internship project by including educational and coaching plans .

Hire more recent college grad's. Implement a coaching development plan. Take time to get to know new hires. Get their feedback on how the company is doing!

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Houston Marathon office allows you to make a modified version of a 9/80. If you work 9 hour days (instead of 8 hours), you can take 2 flex days a month (and they don't have to be Fridays)! Fridays are also casual so jeans are allowed. They also offer great benefits, annual bonuses, and I have received grants of restricted stock. I love working for Marathon!

Cons

Stock price went down (as expected) after the spin off of the downstream business in 2011 but still currently doing well.

It a very good job to pay bills but growth is stunted at advanced Sr. Level.

Former Employee - Advanced Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Advanced Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil

Pros

Very friendly, good gym, small company atmosphere, laid back style, hakuna matata

Cons

Complacency, improper procedures, lack of due diligence in business, inaction.

Ensure qualifications needed to work senior level, before offering advanced Sr. Level. Lack of qualifications, poor leadership skills at this level could really harm company.