Marathon Petroleum

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marathon Petroleum President and Director Gary R. Heminger

Gary R. Heminger

Pros:
  • "Work life balance seems really good for a larger fortune 500 company"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The company pays well and offers great benefits"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance could be improved"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Relocate frequently, company headquarters in Findlay, OH, conservative company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Seems to be headed in the right direction since they took over from BP

ProsMuch more geared to success for the company, working toward common goal

ConsUnion has been killing profits by never being accountable, very lazy hourly workforce

Advice to Senior Managementthe union needs to be brought under control, BP ran the plant into the ground.

Great autonomous work yet still strong team focus

Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to work autonomously with little hand holding.
    Results driven.
    Focused on metrics rather than feelings.

ConsWork-life balance could be improved.

Great learning opportunity

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Findlay, OH

ProsGreat company with many meaningful tasks. Lots of varied experience.

ConsVery corporate and Findlay is not exactly the best place to live in your 20s

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with numerous opportunities to learn.

IT Intern (Former Employee)

ProsMarathon Petroleum has one of the best work cultures I have ever experienced. When comparing the culture with friends who have worked at other companies, Marathon Petroleum prevails. I completed 2 internship sessions with the company and was given real work that truly benefited the organizations I was a part of. I am working as an intern at another company and the experience unfortunately cannot compare to Marathon's friendly employees (both at corporate headquarters and refineries), pay, projects, or managerial personnel.

ConsThe only disadvantage I can note for this company is the location of its corporate headquarters. Former and current employees (interns specifically that I have talked to) love the company as much as I do, but are not so happy with the Findlay, OH area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating with the employees you manage about obstacles and successes. And please maintain the friendly culture. Many corporations do not provide such a friendly atmosphere with diverse personalities.

A big frat house...

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)

Pros- Good work-life balance: people rarely seem stressed or overworked.
    - Pay was great.
    - Managers tried to make it a very inclusive atmosphere.
    - Managers and HR legitimately care about their employees.
    - Great potential for advancement

Cons- Most people's social life seems to revolve around drinking and nothing else.
    - A lot of the interns (and even some full-time employees) acted like douchey frat bros. Drinking excessively, making crude remarks about women, etc.
    - Location. Findlay has limited things to do. The people who weren't interested in drinking constantly usually drove to other cities on most weekends. Also, almost every landlord in the area was terrible.
    - Super conservative company.....not receptive to change or creative thinking, even when there are clear benefits to the company. DO NOT work here if you're passionate about innovation!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open-minded!

Excellent learning opportunities for co-ops in an almost family atmosphere.

Tech Services Co-op (Former Employee)
    Findlay, OH

Pros1) Supervisors usually give meaningful and challenging projects to all refinery based ChE co-ops. Working at Marathon for a total of 15 months built up my résumé to the point that I was able to interview with my choice of companies when it was time to search for a full time job.
    2) Full time coworkers are always happy to share their knowledge and help when needed, which is very important when initially learning their systems.
    3) Pay was between $27 to $36 per hour. Hard to beat. Sometimes overtime opportunities if working during a refinery turnaround.
    4) The corporate culture had a true family feel to it. The company was always trying to put people in positions that best matched an individual's skills but was also more than willing to work around personal preferences (for full time employees). Worked hard to develop employees.
    5) Company hires nearly exclusively from their pool of coops. Last I heard, anywhere from 25 to 50% of coops will get full time offers.
    6) Get the chance to work in a different refinery for every coop term to develop large number of company contacts.

Cons1) People were sometimes too nice when offering feedback. They didn't necessarily push you to accomplish your absolute best (that was left to you).
    2) Locations tend to be in smaller Midwestern towns.
    3) Difficult to obtain a new hire position in select refineries if you didn't have coop experience there.
    4) I cannot say enough negative things about the HR representatives that the coops have to deal with. People were regularly switched to a different location at the last minute (didnt happen to me personally). I could go on, but just try to manage HR the best you can when and before working there. Save every email when dealing with them. The only upside is they tend to be very good looking.

Advice to Senior Management1) Be more selective about which coops get return offers for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th coop terms. Only offer multiple terms to the top 50-75% of coops to increase the talent in your coop pool. Could even give small bonuses to top 10% of coops as incentive to get top talent to stick around.
    2) Push 2nd and 3rd term coops to give serious results. It seems that current managers are more than satisfied with average work results.
    3) Make the new hire process more coordinated between locations that are hiring.

Overall a good experience.

Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee)
    Findlay, OH

ProsAn awesome company with a lot of great opportunities. Pays extremely well.

ConsFavoritism runs rampant and a lot of your success depends on others training you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the company culture but tweak some current practices in regards to hiring.

Unprofessional

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsCan take off when ever you want if you can find someone to cover you.

ConsManagement is poor, business is not run professionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll new employees.

Marathon Petroleum is a Great Place to Work!

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Findlay, OH

ProsMarathon offers amazing benefits to its employees. Marathon deeply values the safety of its employees and the relationship with the community. Marathon hires a lot of young people and I have made a ton of friends within the company. Finally, Marathon values career development, and its rare to be in the same position for more than 5 years. There's always an opportunity to learn something new within the company.

ConsThe biggest con of working at MPC is the corporate location, Findlay, OH. It's somewhat of a tough transition coming from a larger city, but luckily, Marathon and Findlay have a lot of young people to keep me busy! Also, I travel quite a bit for my job so I find it hard to develop a routine at home.

Great company with great people

ProsThe people, benefits, and events are great.

ConsSometimes there are struggles with the workplace culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany events bring co-workers together and make the workplace atmosphere better.

Worked for Marathon Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marathon Petroleum reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marathon Petroleum CEO Gary R. Heminger. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Marathon Petroleum employees.