Marathon Petroleum

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marathon Petroleum President and Director Gary R. Heminger

Gary R. Heminger

Pros:
  • "Work life balance seems really good for a larger fortune 500 company"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The company pays well and offers great benefits"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance could be improved"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Relocate frequently, company headquarters in Findlay, OH, conservative company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Garyville, LA

ProsGreat company with excellent work life balance. Fantastic 401K and pension benefits. Competitive compensation relative to industry peer group,.

ConsAs the site grows, sometimes I feel as if we're understaffed. However, this does bring about new opportunities for growth and exposure to new projects.

They are a great company who really works to develop their new engineers.

Technical Services Engineer (Current Employee)
    Texas City, TX

ProsEveryone in my department was warm and welcoming when I started. I have been given a lot of help and guidance with everything I need to learn about my duties. The salary is good and my co workers are nice. I could definitely see myself staying with them for a long time.

ConsThere are no specific negatives I have experienced so far. The engineers sometimes seem to work extra hours to make sure everything in the refinery is working fine, but they seem to be happy doing it. Maybe hire a few extra engineers to spread out the work.

Excellent Company

Safety Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Findlay, OH

ProsMPC has a wonderful compensation package (401K matching and pension, excellent salary and bonus program, good health benefits) and great work-life balance. The company is truly focused on safety of the workers. The company is continuing to grow with multiple opportunities for career advancement.

ConsCareer advancement typically requires relocating to another site. However, the company has a good relocation program which includes lateral transfers for MPC employed spouses and job assistance for spouses employed outside the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaffing should be adjuste to support the current level of growth

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome company to work for

Global Procurement (Current Employee)
    Findlay, OH

ProsCompensation & benefits are great. 7% match on 401k. Pension plan. Charitable contribution matching. Lots of opportunity to move upwards in the company due to a hiring freeze some years ago leaving an age gap between management and developed employees. Lots of opportunity to still figure out "what you wanna do when you grow up". They allow and encourage movement between departments and locations.

ConsThat same age gap has lead to some tribal knowledge that is some times difficult to track down, but we the youth are doing a great job of documenting it to pass down to new hires as they onboard.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecently attended an Extended Onboarding event that four Directors spoke about their backgrounds and answered questions. Keep doing events like this for those coming in. They shared some great insight and did a great job of humanizing themselves as opposed to being these untouchable faces in the cloud.

Excellent Company

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Findlay, OH

ProsGreat benefits, strong safety culture and great work environment. Significant internal oppportunities for both laterals and promotions. Marathon is a rapidly growing well run company. Its an exciting place to come to work to everyday.

ConsTo whom much is given much is expected. Significant personal sacrifices are made in the name of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure proper resources are provided to the people on the front lines so we can handle growth.

Great company focused on personal development

ProsThis company places high value on hiring within and giving employees the opportunity to try different fields. Marathon very obviously appreciates their employees.

ConsLong hours are sometimes part of the job, making work-life balance challenging at times.

Awesome Company

ProsGrowing, Friendly Atmosphere and happy culture

Consi do not have any cons to offer

Great autonomous work yet still strong team focus

Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to work autonomously with little hand holding.
    Results driven.
    Focused on metrics rather than feelings.

ConsWork-life balance could be improved.

Great learning opportunity

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Findlay, OH

ProsGreat company with many meaningful tasks. Lots of varied experience.

ConsVery corporate and Findlay is not exactly the best place to live in your 20s

Great company with numerous opportunities to learn.

IT Intern (Former Employee)

ProsMarathon Petroleum has one of the best work cultures I have ever experienced. When comparing the culture with friends who have worked at other companies, Marathon Petroleum prevails. I completed 2 internship sessions with the company and was given real work that truly benefited the organizations I was a part of. I am working as an intern at another company and the experience unfortunately cannot compare to Marathon's friendly employees (both at corporate headquarters and refineries), pay, projects, or managerial personnel.

ConsThe only disadvantage I can note for this company is the location of its corporate headquarters. Former and current employees (interns specifically that I have talked to) love the company as much as I do, but are not so happy with the Findlay, OH area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating with the employees you manage about obstacles and successes. And please maintain the friendly culture. Many corporations do not provide such a friendly atmosphere with diverse personalities.

Worked for Marathon Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marathon Petroleum reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marathon Petroleum CEO Gary R. Heminger. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Marathon Petroleum employees.