Marathon Petroleum

Updated November 18, 2014
4.1

Marathon Petroleum President and Director Gary R. Heminger
Gary R. Heminger

Pros
  • Work life balance seems really good for a larger fortune 500 company (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, strong safety culture and great work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved (in 4 reviews)

• Relocate frequently, company headquarters in Findlay, OH, conservative company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Galveston Bay

Current Employee - Anonymous in Texas City, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Texas City, TX

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None management needs to go

Cons

Management does not stand behind what they preach. If your lazy don't perform or can lie your way thru your job then this is a place to work. Over worked under paid. If you run with the right crowd you can advance. Poor leadership since taking over people leaving everyday do to management. Instead of firing employees who bully , sexually harass can not perform there current jobs multiple complaints by supervision and co workers people are given higher paying jobs or transferred to other sites to fix the problem.

Clean house from the top down

Bad Choice to stay that long.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL

I worked at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Made enough money to pay the rent!

Cons

Had not money to go out and have a few drinks' also no life 77 hours a week is no life!

Pay your employees more!

Conservative, Backward, Boys Club

Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marathon Petroleum as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They gave me a relocation bonus when they moved me to work in a satellite office in Atlanta

Cons

They made me drive around by myself to rural and dangerous urban areas to take pictures of gas stations. In answer to my questions my boss, more often than not answered: "You wouldn't understand", there was no inter-office unity and I was isolated from the rest of the interns who worked at headquarters, the office was full of buttoned up middle aged men who did things together but never thought to invite anyone else. Terrible work environment. Oh and when I asked what they were going to use my culminating project for they told me that it probably wouldn't be used for naything.

Teach your managers how to deal with interns. Teach men how to include and respect women. Create a more formal program for interns that both helps them develop AND keeps them in a more safe evironment. Challenge the interns more and include them in more meetings so they can learn. Also, be more up front about the aspects of the role.

Poor management

Current Employee - Lab Technician
    Current Employee - Lab Technician

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is very for the title

Cons

Poor management; too much forced overtIme; poor morale

Care about emPloyees

Think twice if you are considering a position with Marathon that is anything other than an entry level.

Current Employee - Mid-Level Management in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Management in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is very profitable, they stick to what they know, and they do it well.

Cons

If you are being recruited for or are considering a position with Marathon that is anything other than an entry level position, let me tell you now that you’d better think twice.

As background, Marathon is currently struggling with a large age gap between its front-line, rank-and-file staff and staff that are at the manager level and above. So to fill this gap, Marathon has been aggressively recruiting and hiring more experienced staff to enter the company at the manager level or higher. It is important to understand that Marathon historically has not hired staff externally into anything other than entry level positions; they have typically developed and promoted staff only from within whenever possible.

So back to why you should think twice before joining Marathon at anything other than an entry level position. This age gap dynamic has resulted in a horribly unwelcoming environment for all experienced hires. As you might expect, the rank and file Marathon staff see these experienced hires as taking their promotions and cutting off their career advancement, and the way they have chosen to deal with it is by downright harassing and hazing the experienced hires. And I’m not talking about ‘you’re new here’ type condescension; oh no, it’s far worse. Here’s some highlights:
    • To begin with, the experienced hires are referred to as “outsiders” versus the Marathon “lifers.” Even experienced hires whom have been with Marathon for 10+ years are still referred to as “outsiders.” But it’s more than just a label. Whether or not people are included in key work related conversations, meetings, decisions, or simply educated on the cultural protocols and understood practices of Marathon, correlates to their outsider vs. lifer status. If you’re a lifer, rest assured that you’re in the club and you’ll be in the know. But if you’re an outsider, you’d better watch out. Because when the outsiders are left out of the loop on things, depending on the situation, they're set up to look foolish and ignorant in front of senior management, or they make a mistake because they weren’t given the same information as the lifers, or worst of all, are held accountable and even reprimanded for business problems that occurred due to the outsiders’ lack of awareness of one thing or another that s/he was intentionally excluded from. It’s terrible.
    • Outsiders are relentlessly harassed and retaliated against – for nothing other than being outsiders – through misuse and abuse of Marathon’s internal systems. Calls to Marathon security to nitpick or even falsely report infractions of outsiders is common. Anonymous complaints to Human Resources about the behavior of outsiders – that is never even verified – are even more common, and worse, welcomed by an attention seeking HR department who gladly adds such unverified complaints to that outsider’s HR file. They then collect these complaints until they eventually bring a stack of them to the attention of the outsider’s supervisor, all before the outsider is even made aware of any such complaints. Oh, and for lifers that report to an outsider, absolutely slamming that outsider in the anonymous Marathon Employee Engagement Survey that recurs every two years is basically a given. See, if someone in a management position gets low enough ratings from their staff on the survey, it will impact their promotion potential and even their annual bonus, and the lifers are fully aware of this. And yes, the lifers absolutely talk and share with each other their harassment and retaliation techniques; there is no other way to explain the coincidental timing, frequency, and similarity of it all. But being a lifer myself, I can confirm that I've overheard many conversations of lifers sharing notes with each other of their latest conquests to punish an outsider.
    • Now, all of the above might be tolerable if Marathon’s senior and executive management were aware of it and supported the outsiders. Just some reassurance from an outsider’s boss is all that would be needed -- that they know what’s being done to them and why, but the outsider can ignore it and get back to work because they have their boss’ full faith and support. Unfortunately, this is not the case. See, Marathon’s senior management, most of them lifers themselves, are fiercely defensive of Marathon’s self-perceived ‘Mayberry’ culture and refuse to acknowledge that the outsiders that they so desperately need are being treated this way. Even when they are presented with multiple verified examples of this treatment and its undeniable correlation to the victims’ outsider status, they are in complete denial. For them, acknowledging this obvious problem would be an indictment of the company they’ve built. So when the waves of calls to security, or complaints to HR, deplorable survey ratings, or whatever the latest guerilla technique is to harass the outsiders, is brought to the attention of management, the way it’s dealt with is to put it right back on the outsider. Oh yes, outsiders are routinely hauled out to the whipping post or forced through some kind of HR intervention process for infractions they weren’t even aware were infractions, and sometimes for flat out accusations of hearsay. To be fair, there are a few lower-level senior managers willing to acknowledge the poor treatment of outsiders that do what they can to protect the outsiders reporting to them from it, but they are in a small minority.

In short, if you’re an experienced hire at Marathon, you start on Day 1 with a scarlet letter tattooed to your forehead, you are treated like it, management won’t acknowledge it (let alone do anything about it), and you will never live it down. And it will absolutely impact your time there in material ways – bonuses, promotions, etc. So if you’ve read this and accept a position at Marathon as an experienced hire anyway, don’t say you weren’t warned.

See above. Should be pretty obvious.

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Marathon Petroleum part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can take off when ever you want if you can find someone to cover you.

Cons

Management is poor, business is not run professionally.

All new employees.

Not for everyone, must like competing daily to keep your job

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay. This is the draw that keeps people, but you see a lot of internal movement because people are looking to improve thier work experience.

Cons

Have to enjoy office politics. It's carzy, like GE back in the 80's.

Good Ole Boy network

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum

Pros

Pay is above average overall

Cons

Do not recognize innovation in work

good Pay , bad business sense

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum

Pros

The pay scale is good.

Cons

Marathon has the management style of the olden days. Employees are harassed, belittled, not appreciated, brow beat, taken for granted, and abused daily. This mis treatment and dis respect is shown to the hourly employees, by management that doesn't have a clue how the process really works.

A happy employee is a productive employee. Work at realizing that your production employees are your greatest asset.

Safety Intern

I worked at Marathon Petroleum as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The opportunity introduced me to the oil industry and provided interesting work.
    Supervisors were very supportive in helping me learn the industry and provided good assignments.

Cons

Although a safety intern, I had great concern for safety (especially related to security).
    Pay
    Working at a refinery was an excellent opportunity for an internship, although not one I would wish to pursue professionally.

Ensure workers have adequate time off between shifts.