Marathon Petroleum

Updated September 22, 2014
4.2

Marathon Petroleum President and Director Gary R. Heminger
Gary R. Heminger

Pros
  • Work life balance seems really good for a larger fortune 500 company (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, strong safety culture and great work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved (in 4 reviews)

• Relocate frequently, company headquarters in Findlay, OH, conservative company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I can't complain about MPC much because I am just happy to have a job, but sometimes wonder if the grass is greener on t

Current Employee - Refining Engineer I  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Refining Engineer I in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time for less than a year

Pros

I think it is good pay - good bonuses & raises.
    Learn something new everyday therefore you never get bored
    People actually care about you
    7-4 work days unless your behind on work then you have to stay longer or come in on the weekend (i guess you don't have to, but I do)
    You get taken out to eat, sporting events, etc.

Cons

Working the refinery with old men all day (no young adults i.e. girls)
    2 weeks vacation starting off
    Stressful at times because of work load
    Under staffed
    Alot of the older guys are lazy and you constantly have to hold peoples hands. I constantly do other peoples jobs.
    Promotions are based on service instead of merit/knowledge i.e. 4-5 yrs - gets you raise, more benefits, & another week of vacation. Then 10 yrs - same stuff, and so on.
    To many meetings
    I think every job

More vacation
    Managers of certain departments need to enforce their employees to be accountable for their work.
    Promotions should be based on merrit not how long you have been with the company. There are some employees who make double my pay, double my vacation and benefits, but no way less than I do and have a lot less responsibilities.

Good money, but lots of overtime.

Current Employee - Plant Operations  in  Texas City, TX
    Current Employee - Plant Operations in Texas City, TX

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Middle of the pack pay and benefits for the oil industry, meaning that the pay is good and the benefits are average for a large company.

Cons

The company seems unable to keep management continuity. They hire young engineers, they get burned out and leave after a couple of years for greener pastures. Overtime is pretty bad, at least in Texas it is. I hear it might be better in other states. Safety advice from management seems to be out of touch. They like to hire cheap contractors but don't want to be responsible for their quality of work or if they can read or understand English.

Make work life easier at the ground level. Or face turnover.

cashier

I worked at Marathon Petroleum

Pros

the best part of working here was getting a pay check in a timely manner. The work pace was busy and always moving making the shift go by.

Cons

The long late hours of closing the unit down, The fact of being on your feet for many many hours at a time without taking small breaks of rest periods.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top Notch Co-op Program - Full Time Opportunities to Follow

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working atmosphere with challenging tasks. Great compensation and advancement opportunities.
    Awesome company culture and easy to make new friends through the on-boarding program.

Cons

Findlay is not necessarily the young person's dream for a place to kick off their life, but the company provides so many advancement opportunities to other locations. You can also live in Bowling Green during your time in Findlay which offers more of a nightlife due to the university.

Consider capitalizing on the Hess acquisition to add some other operations on the east coast to expand Marathon's location opportunities.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Garyville, LA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Garyville, LA

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company with excellent work life balance. Fantastic 401K and pension benefits. Competitive compensation relative to industry peer group,.

Cons

As the site grows, sometimes I feel as if we're understaffed. However, this does bring about new opportunities for growth and exposure to new projects.

They are a great company who really works to develop their new engineers.

Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer  in  Texas City, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Texas City, TX

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone in my department was warm and welcoming when I started. I have been given a lot of help and guidance with everything I need to learn about my duties. The salary is good and my co workers are nice. I could definitely see myself staying with them for a long time.

Cons

There are no specific negatives I have experienced so far. The engineers sometimes seem to work extra hours to make sure everything in the refinery is working fine, but they seem to be happy doing it. Maybe hire a few extra engineers to spread out the work.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Safety Supervisor  in  Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Safety Supervisor in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

MPC has a wonderful compensation package (401K matching and pension, excellent salary and bonus program, good health benefits) and great work-life balance. The company is truly focused on safety of the workers. The company is continuing to grow with multiple opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Career advancement typically requires relocating to another site. However, the company has a good relocation program which includes lateral transfers for MPC employed spouses and job assistance for spouses employed outside the company.

Staffing should be adjuste to support the current level of growth

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Global Procurement  in  Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Global Procurement in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation & benefits are great. 7% match on 401k. Pension plan. Charitable contribution matching. Lots of opportunity to move upwards in the company due to a hiring freeze some years ago leaving an age gap between management and developed employees. Lots of opportunity to still figure out "what you wanna do when you grow up". They allow and encourage movement between departments and locations.

Cons

That same age gap has lead to some tribal knowledge that is some times difficult to track down, but we the youth are doing a great job of documenting it to pass down to new hires as they onboard.

Recently attended an Extended Onboarding event that four Directors spoke about their backgrounds and answered questions. Keep doing events like this for those coming in. They shared some great insight and did a great job of humanizing themselves as opposed to being these untouchable faces in the cloud.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, strong safety culture and great work environment. Significant internal oppportunities for both laterals and promotions. Marathon is a rapidly growing well run company. Its an exciting place to come to work to everyday.

Cons

To whom much is given much is expected. Significant personal sacrifices are made in the name of the company.

Ensure proper resources are provided to the people on the front lines so we can handle growth.

Good company to work for

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum

Pros

good pay, helpful employees, work-life balance

Cons

Long commute from company housing

Worked for Marathon Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!