Marathon Petroleum

Updated December 10, 2014
4.1

Marathon Petroleum President and Director Gary R. Heminger
Gary R. Heminger

Pros
  • Work life balance seems really good for a larger fortune 500 company (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, strong safety culture and great work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved (in 4 reviews)

• Relocate frequently, company headquarters in Findlay, OH, conservative company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Top Notch Co-op Program - Full Time Opportunities to Follow

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere with challenging tasks. Great compensation and advancement opportunities.
    Awesome company culture and easy to make new friends through the on-boarding program.

Cons

Findlay is not necessarily the young person's dream for a place to kick off their life, but the company provides so many advancement opportunities to other locations. You can also live in Bowling Green during your time in Findlay which offers more of a nightlife due to the university.

Consider capitalizing on the Hess acquisition to add some other operations on the east coast to expand Marathon's location opportunities.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Garyville, LA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Garyville, LA

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with excellent work life balance. Fantastic 401K and pension benefits. Competitive compensation relative to industry peer group,.

Cons

As the site grows, sometimes I feel as if we're understaffed. However, this does bring about new opportunities for growth and exposure to new projects.

They are a great company who really works to develop their new engineers.

Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Texas City, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Texas City, TX

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone in my department was warm and welcoming when I started. I have been given a lot of help and guidance with everything I need to learn about my duties. The salary is good and my co workers are nice. I could definitely see myself staying with them for a long time.

Cons

There are no specific negatives I have experienced so far. The engineers sometimes seem to work extra hours to make sure everything in the refinery is working fine, but they seem to be happy doing it. Maybe hire a few extra engineers to spread out the work.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Safety Supervisor in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Safety Supervisor in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MPC has a wonderful compensation package (401K matching and pension, excellent salary and bonus program, good health benefits) and great work-life balance. The company is truly focused on safety of the workers. The company is continuing to grow with multiple opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Career advancement typically requires relocating to another site. However, the company has a good relocation program which includes lateral transfers for MPC employed spouses and job assistance for spouses employed outside the company.

Staffing should be adjuste to support the current level of growth

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Global Procurement in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Global Procurement in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation & benefits are great. 7% match on 401k. Pension plan. Charitable contribution matching. Lots of opportunity to move upwards in the company due to a hiring freeze some years ago leaving an age gap between management and developed employees. Lots of opportunity to still figure out "what you wanna do when you grow up". They allow and encourage movement between departments and locations.

Cons

That same age gap has lead to some tribal knowledge that is some times difficult to track down, but we the youth are doing a great job of documenting it to pass down to new hires as they onboard.

Recently attended an Extended Onboarding event that four Directors spoke about their backgrounds and answered questions. Keep doing events like this for those coming in. They shared some great insight and did a great job of humanizing themselves as opposed to being these untouchable faces in the cloud.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, strong safety culture and great work environment. Significant internal oppportunities for both laterals and promotions. Marathon is a rapidly growing well run company. Its an exciting place to come to work to everyday.

Cons

To whom much is given much is expected. Significant personal sacrifices are made in the name of the company.

Ensure proper resources are provided to the people on the front lines so we can handle growth.

Good company to work for

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum

Pros

good pay, helpful employees, work-life balance

Cons

Long commute from company housing

Great company focused on personal development

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company places high value on hiring within and giving employees the opportunity to try different fields. Marathon very obviously appreciates their employees.

Cons

Long hours are sometimes part of the job, making work-life balance challenging at times.

Marketing Intern

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum

Pros

Marathon worked very well with my schedule while interning and also gave me valuable real life experience. The employees were very friendly and inclusive in all activities.

Cons

Located in Findlay, OH there was not much to do. Also, I did not work directly under my supervisor so it was difficult to be evaluated.

Keep up the high caliber internships! I really enjoyed the experience and would recommend it to anyone who asks. Definitely one of the better companies to work for.

Awesome Company

I have been working at Marathon Petroleum full-time

Pros

Growing, Friendly Atmosphere and happy culture

Cons

i do not have any cons to offer