Marc USA Reviews

3.6
Michele Fabrizi

1. Leading Edge Thinking

I have been working at Marc USA

Pros

If you want to be part of a large, independent and integrated marketing services firm that's using behavioral science and digital media to help brands and organizations win, this is a great place to learn and innovate. Plus, Pittsburgh's growing and happening!

Cons

In MARC's team-focused, cross-discipline matrix, you have to flex. If you need too much structure, this could be challenging.

A place to network and connect with other ad professionals - and that's about it.

I worked at Marc USA full-time

Pros

MARC USA offers competitive pay and decent benefits - which I imagine is the only way they manage to attract talented employees, who eventually leave due to the work environment and lack of innovation.

Cons

-Micromanagement, especially on specific teams.
    -No confidence in junior level staffers.
    -Aloof leadership team that plays favorites.
    -Unattached leadership team that has been in the business for many years without much innovation to show for it.
    -Absolutely stuffy work environment. Working here is about as close to working in corporate while still being in an ad agency as you will get in Pittsburgh.

Great Co-Workers... lackluster leadership

Former Employee - Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Marc USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MARC USA has enough capital and money to run like a real company. They offer great benefits, decent amount of paid time off and lots of supportive options that help make employees lives better. They are doing decent work for their clients, and there's plenty of opportunity to learn more and have decent budgets to test things. They have some amazing people that work for them that do great work. It's a great place to get-in and learn.

Cons

Management is shoddy at best. The company seems focus heavily on their non-billable folks, lots of IT people, a huge HR department for the size of the company (roughly 200 as of this posting), lots of admins. They have a bunch of what they call "senior leaders" that are basically everyone that's been there for a long time. Management gets in its own way - it's all a struggle as to whomever wants what they want. Some of the management is way too involved in the day-to-day operations. Furthermore, they don't know how to make a decision... They like to think something is working and then kill it later. They have account planning minded people running accounts and not seasoned account management people. They also seem to like to make hires that make the news - to them it's all about who they were able to get to pay to come to Pittsburgh to work... they don't focus on developing the employees they have from their backyard. It's all about bringing in names - and generally they don't last.

Advice to Management

Learn how to make decisions. Support your staff. Get Account Planning folks out of the way of seasoned Account Management folks. Be more transparent with your teams/staff and with your clients. Have less people in management - leading by consensus with the amount of people on your leadership team are what makes it too difficult for you to be as nimble as your clients need you to be. There's a lot of overhead in that agency: try to cut some of that fat and focus on client billable folks. Support your staff that wants to be there.

5. Great place to start/get your foot in the door!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Marc USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and lots of work to do.

Cons

A lot of hours for average pay.

Advice to Management

Communication with workers does not appear to be a priority, especially when it comes to client relationships.

6. The people are awesome. The clients are clients.

I have been working at Marc USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big clients, High value work

Cons

Tight turn arounds (it's agency life)

7. Good place to start

I worked at Marc USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great people to work with, everyone gets along, good benefits, not your typical office.

Cons

The work gets pretty redundant and boring. Some days you have a lot to do and some days you have almost nothing to do.

In one sentence? MARC USA is the best company I've ever worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Marc USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and Wellness Initiatives are top notch and award-winning. The Company Culture is the perfect blend of professionalism and fun. Generous and flexible. HR Team is responsive and involved and actually care about the employees. Best of all, the agency puts out great creative work that employees and clients can be proud of. The location at Station Square is convenient and offers a beautiful view of a great city! They have a robust performance review system and offer nearly unlimited career growth if you are a hard worker.

Cons

Management needs to take the time to get to know the employees and the work. It sometimes feels as though upper management is very disconnected from the real work and more connected to making their own personal connections and gains. I will say, however, that management seems open to change when it helps to propel the business.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Lion. It's tacky and does not scream award-winning, cutting edge advertising agency.

9. The Opportunities Are There For You to Take Advantage Of

Current Employee - Account Management in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Management in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Marc USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong team and collaborative environment. The agency provides its employees with plenty of opportunities to grow and expand into more senior roles. I have felt a great deal of empowerment since day one and can honestly say that I have been in control of my own growth within the agency - the opportunities are there for the taking if you are willing to roll up your sleeves and be accountable for your work, actions and outcomes.

Cons

Typical agency challenges . . . hours, process, etc.

10. Small, but smart and hard working.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marc USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marc is a fully-integrated shop with a variety of clients. Because teams are lean, it presents a lot of opportunity to push your limits and learn new things. Creative opportunities are not limited to those prima donna, elite few--but open to anyone who can bring great ideas to the table.

Cons

As much as being at a small agency brings opportunity to learn and grow, it also means limited resources. Everyone, at every level is a doer. There is also a great deal of time dedicated to goal setting, plans, team building, etc. Both of these are good things, but finding the time to effectively do both is sometimes a challenge.

11. MARC USA takes integrated marketing to a new level

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Marc USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our focus on insights and creativity has really helped to drive our clients' business. It's great to work at a full-service integrated marketing agency because we're able to develop more powerful solutions for our clients when all disciplines collaborate from the start. It's exciting to see the PR practice positioned for growth with the recent senior management restructure. While working hard, I'm also constantly learning and having fun while doing so. I appreciate MARC's openness to flexible schedules.

Cons

Because we build such deep relationships, we have a hard time telling our clients "no."

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize top talent

RSS Feed </> Embed