Marcel Media

Updated August 29, 2014
Updated August 29, 2014
4.3

Ben Swartz

Interactive Agency leading the online advertising growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcel Media

Pros

This is a rapidly growing Interactive Agency that allows its employees to grow through hands on learning, training and testing. We have the opportunity to work with many facets of this industry while managing high level relationships.

Cons

Again, this is a small company. Many people may find the break from traditional corporate environments tough to adapt to. There is also a great deal of person accountability.

None - we continue to grow well as a company.

Good company that continues to work its way up

I worked at Marcel Media full-time

Pros

-It's a very dynamic environment right off the bat. By the time I left, I was exposed to so many areas I had only limited experience in before. For people that are interesting in learning more about the industry from different angles like me, this was probably the biggest pro of the place. If you were spending some time during the day learning about something new and were caught up on work already, mgmt was alright with that as long as the knowledge was applicable to the job or to digital marketing in general.

-The culture is usually pretty good and the owner makes it a priority to increase co-worker bonding and all that. Having beers at 4pm on Friday together was a common occurrence as well as the occasional catered lunch or breakfast. Holiday parties are a blast as well.

-Diverse client list goes along with the whole dynamic nature of most agencies. The types of industries and businesses the company works with are from all over the board.

-Pay is decent but not great. Same goes with bonuses and raises.

Cons

-The dynamic aspect, while it's a plus for me, could be a con for others. If you're interested in only doing keyword optimization for a few PPC accounts or just doing on-site audits on the SEO team, you won't like this place. You WILL be working in new areas given today's overlap with online marketing mediums.

-Even though the company has been around for over 10 years, recent structure changes in mgmt has prompted some overall shifts in strategy and where the business should be heading, and how to go there. Because of that, some parts of the business might be in a flux a bit more than they were a year or two ago just because they're creating new formal processes for the areas that need them, and digging deeper into new revenue streams.

-It's getting better, but in the past new clients were brought on board with what turned out to only be a partial understanding of what they were getting and what they had to do to help their campaigns succeed. This is more of an account manager and salesperson task though and relaying the necessary information at initial meetings.

Allow remote work occasionally and ease up on the no working from home policy as long as the employee proves they're responsible. Work out processes for the areas or tasks that make sense for them, but understand the dynamic nature of online marketing and don't try to force processes to work for tasks and strategies that are fluid and constantly changing given the client and their goals. Note to readers that Kelly is no longer the CEO. Her partner, Ben Swartz, is now CEO/owner of the company after her resignation.