March of Dimes

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jennifer L. Howse

Pros
  • The March of Dimes has a great mission(in 6 reviews)

• Amazing work schedule - very flexible, often you can work from home, "full time" is only 35 hours a week(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Makes for work/life balance difficult(in 3 reviews)

• High overhead, lack of concern about employees, low pay, bad management, tacky fundraising practices, etc(in 4 reviews)

Management underskilled

Fundraising Director (Current Employee)

ProsLove the mission, the people and the cause. The companies involved and families are amazing and you see your hard work pay off.

ConsThose who are in higher position are greatly under skilled. Whether they have worked their way up, thrown into the position or a new hire many are under paid and no education. They have poor management skills and not used to over seeing employees. Makes for work/life balance difficult. Many also do not have their own children, so it makes it hard to respect when family comes first.

Nice cause for community;dedicated personnel

ProsEmployees are very dedicated and loyal to their cause

Consmanagement not as dedicated or appreciative of ALL employees. Some favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more loyalty to employees

Very friendly and inviting, but the hours can get a little out of hand..

ProsEverybody is very friendly and accepting, you will feel at home on your first day. Leadership in my chapter is great. My bosses are always willing to set time aside to help or just listen to what you have going on.

ConsUnfortunately, my chapter is woefully understaffed so everybody does a little bit of everything extra to make up for it, which means more hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good mission but management are not trained to handle staff

ProsOverall I had great colleagues, loved working with my team. Time off/Holidays are generous and benefits are great.

ConsVery little training or insight is provided to staff, there is a sense of sink or swim mentality and for a non-profit organization you can not do this and expect great ROI from the employees. That being said management loves to micromanage, their is a lack of direction to many pet projects exist, people are quick to blame instead of taking responsibility and the company is not very transparent to staff and is very top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is too focused on numbers. The work culture could use a major overhaul to create a more work/life balance.

Great mission.

Community Director (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible Schedule, I can't think of anything else to add.

ConsSlow to change and keep up with industry trends.

No training, bad management

Senior Community Director (Former Employee)

ProsThe core cause of the March of Dimes! All about helping the babies that is the positive.

ConsNo training!! Sink or swim. If you are not good with computers and a self starter think again. Plan to learn the whole CRM system yourself because your older aged managers will not know how to use it and do not use it. Plan to be micromanaged with an over abundance of meetings to hear people talk and not enough time to get in the field to do the work. March for Babies is everyones responsibility. If you are hired to do other events know you will have multiple saturdays and days during the week doing things to help with the March for Babies event regardless of the needs for your events. When your events arrive you will be left to fend for yourself because they will be working on March for Babies for next year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having SO many meetings so those of us doing the fundraising and working the events can do our jobs. We do not need so many calls with the so called experts every month then meetings with regionals then meetings with office staff along with all the other board and 4 other event meetings. Our time is limited and we come in early and never leave before 7:30pm at night just to get things done with all the reporting and rereporting.

Great work culture, happy environment

ProsMy immediate supervisor is great - she brings up the other employees in the office, always being positive and ready to lead.

ConsYour to-do list seems never ending, although this can be ok. Working in a small unit can mean you are responsible for many activities outside your specified job description.

Advice to Senior ManagementConstant communication is key.

very interesting

Data Entry (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI

ProsIt is great that they are here to help those who have lost a child. It is also great that they are able to help those families with children born prematurely.

ConsShould have more options to choose from with low prices

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Smoke and Mirrors

Community Director (Current Employee) Sayreville, NJ

ProsThe organization as a whole is fantastic, it just depends on what your specific office culture is that will determine your opinion of the job.
    Great benefits package - retirement, vacation, and holiday time.
    Competitive salary.
    Summer hours are pretty nice from Memorial Day - Labor Day.
    Organization is research based, and the majority of the money that is raised does go to the mission.

ConsThey say they are flexible, and the organization overall may be, but it really up to your boss.
    Work-life balance isn't so great, especially around March for Babies season.
    They don't give hour-for-hour comp time, and that is at the manager's discretion so if you have a strict manager, its terrible.

Lots of heart, but not a lot of qualified management

Campaign Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsGood cause. Employees really want to make a difference. Really great people to work with. I loved working with all of the incredible parents who do so much to help March of Dimes.

ConsUpper management is too focused on numbers. They are not cultivating good relationships with many of their donors and even their employees for the sake of reaching unrealistic fundraising goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement pushes their employees to reach unrealistic goals. There were several instances where local employees knew that the goals were unrealistic, but the management forced them to pursue those goals and then punished the employees for not reaching them. Management is hurting employees and donors by acting out of desperation for funds, rather than investing long-term in cultivating relationships and patiently working to grow relationships with family and corporate donors. A little care now could result in committed, consistent future donors.

Worked for March of Dimes? Contribute to the Community!