Marchex

Marchex Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Marchex Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Russell C. Horowitz

Russell C. Horowitz

Pros
  • Work life balance in an industry known for overtime(in 13 reviews)

• There's only so much free snacks, unlimited soda, a good downtown location with a view and nerf gun fights can make up for(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • here two people were promoted from entry level, one left within the(in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, below industry average(in 4 reviews)

Great culture, great future

ProsLots of very smart, motivated, and passionate people work here. The company has barely scratched the surface of performance-based advertising and Marchexers are working like crazy to grow rapidly in the space. Working in downtown Seattle is great. Views, check! Free snacks, check!

ConsAging facilities, lack of documentation.

Talented People Without a Clear Vision

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFree drinks & snacks, occasional freebie "swag," great location/views, work-life balance is valued, overtime usually possible, flex schedule, casual dress.

The people are all pretty nice, smart, and young. Few people are dragging down the team and causing you to do extra work in my experience. This is a nice environment to be a part of, however the free "stuff" doesn't really make up for the cons of the job unfortunately. It's more like a stepping stone to get to the next thing.

ConsLowest industry wages of any comparable work: You can easily make more as a server or hostess in a restaurant with tips than you can working here.
    Unfulfilled promises with regards to training opportunities: they will tell you about all these great opportunities to learn and sign up for training and then when you ask to do so they tell you it's only available to certain individuals.
    They will also tell you in your interview that there is great possibility for career growth. After talking to people in the company, it seems that it takes most people 1.5-2 years minimum to move up into the next level at which point they are making wages that one could still be making in the restaurant industry, waiting tables. These positions are also extremely limited so the chances of getting one of them are very unlikely.
    Temp employees are treated as second-class citizens. They are offered zero benefits compared to regular employees. They don't get healthcare benefits, bus passes, or paid days off. You get to become a regular employee at an unknown point in time - usually over a year after you start.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck out some of the other Campaign Manager salaries at companies nearby - some of them (located locally) pay $50,000 more per year on average. I don't know what your goal is with paying so low. To train people up so they can leave? Free soda is great, but at the end of the day people need a living wage, healthcare benefits to take care of themselves and their families, and a job that they can be proud of and respect, not free soda at lunch (which they could afford to buy themselves if they were being paid a living wage).

Great people, low pay

Campaign Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThis company does a really good job of teaching and training you to be an expert when it comes to SEO marketing. They provide tons of free snacks, and you rarely have to put in overtime.

ConsThis company does not pay well. It does not provide health benefits unless you work really hard for them. I didn't get health benefits until I worked there for over a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate all of your employees, not just the executives

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great collaborative environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI love the work/life balance at Marchex. Work hard, play hard.

ConsLike anywhere, info doesn't always trickle down.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear and transparent communication.

Work life balance, collaboration and fun

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWork life balance in an industry known for overtime. Decent benefits package. Good pay and raises. Business and Engineering collaboration. We strive to do the right thing for the company instead of taking orders from external partners. Great downtown Seattle location for shopping and entertainment. Company socials and offsite fun - company kickball tournament. Agile methodology allowed to grow in best way for each team's makeup. Cafeteria facing the water with fruits, snacks and drinks.

ConsSmall space for the continuing growth of the company. Some legacy platforms that are difficult to refactor, BUT are on deprecation paths. Training budget per person is small which makes it difficult to go if the training is in another city/state.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the training budget per person. Continue to improve on communication and transparency.

Hidden gems in Seattle.

Engineering (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFast growing business. Great growth opportunities if you are willing to dig in. No business and engineering silos. All the teams work closely together everyday. Strong focus on getting the culture right.

ConsThe company has some redundant systems. These have come through some acquisitions. We are mostly through which deprecating or refactoring older systems. If we can complete these, we will be able to move much faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that we are investing to keep up with the growth of the business.

Meh.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of smart, motivated coworkers make for a usually stimulating day-to-day.

ConsThe worker bees take care of the work, and the manager bees take care of themselves.

It was a good place to start out.

Software Design Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsNo one is going to push you to work crazy hours, and the people are generally pretty nice.

ConsVery little effort expended towards employees working on things that are beneficial to their career/interesting, rather than just useful for the company. The company seems to be behind some five or so years on best practices, at the least. Development tools are not just average, they're truly pathetic. On the other hand, lots of money is spent on other hardware and as a result salaries are lower than they should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people, and fewer of them. Give them better tools, and support their growth. There's rhetoric about doing this inside the company, but very little is actually done towards it.

Profitable Public Company with a Start Up Feel and Amazing People

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Very interesting products and technology.
    - Complete visibility into how you impact the bottom line
    - Open, honest, and respectful culture
    - Amazing work life balance

Cons- There is still a little randomization as we figure out what products and services will take Marchex to the next level

Advice to Senior ManagementMarchex has been on a roll in the past 18 months. Let's tighten up our strategy and go all in from a financial perspective. Let's take the financial risks necessary to become a multi-billion dollar business.

Fun place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Great work-life balance
    - Engineers are empowered to innovate
    - Fun company culture

Cons- Not fully matured as a company
    - Lacking a sense of excellence within company culture

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can do better.

Worked for Marchex? Contribute to the Community!