Marchex Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.7

Marchex Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Russell C. Horowitz
Russell C. Horowitz

Pros
  • Work life balance in an industry known for overtime (in 14 reviews)

• The requisite free snacks and drinks are available (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • here two people were promoted from entry level, one left within the (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, below industry average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of competent people, some political agents

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good teams and competent leadership, with generally positive problem solving attitudes. Lots of opportunity in the strategic space of performance advertising and call analytics

Cons

There are lots of legacy systems to decode and work through. Technical debt is never convenient to discharge. Some alignment challenges across teams.

Hopefully stronger alignment between business and engineering can improve communication gaps. Saw a dilution of message as it filtered through multiple layers, and personal motives of (the few) political actors do not always reflect the strategy

eh

Former Employee - Campaign Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

fun people to work with

Cons

Conference rooms looked like high school computer labs

Great people, tons of market potential, technology focused.

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to solve tough marketing technology problems for the mobile space - focus is on bridging the online to offline actions via calls. Excellent company culture and people, we work hard and have great work/life balance. Most folks are out of the office by 5 PM, but the commitment to help each other internally and our customers is a shared commitment across the organization. The requisite free snacks and drinks are available...

Cons

Compensation is not on par with larger technology companies in Seattle, but work/life balance and culture bridge that gap.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun work atmosphere with very healthy work/life balance and good benefits in an emerging industry.

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working in the heart of downtown Seattle and Marchex had a nice office allowing good flexibility with its employees. The company valued utilizing each persons gifts through their positions and allowing for personal growth.

Cons

Working in mobile advertising was not very exciting for me. Additionally, I needed to increase my income and felt challenged to increase my income.

Great culture, great future

I have been working at Marchex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of very smart, motivated, and passionate people work here. The company has barely scratched the surface of performance-based advertising and Marchexers are working like crazy to grow rapidly in the space. Working in downtown Seattle is great. Views, check! Free snacks, check!

Cons

Aging facilities, lack of documentation.

Talented People Without a Clear Vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex as a contractor

Pros

Free drinks & snacks, occasional freebie "swag," great location/views, work-life balance is valued, overtime usually possible, flex schedule, casual dress.

The people are all pretty nice, smart, and young. Few people are dragging down the team and causing you to do extra work in my experience. This is a nice environment to be a part of, however the free "stuff" doesn't really make up for the cons of the job unfortunately. It's more like a stepping stone to get to the next thing.

Cons

Lowest industry wages of any comparable work: You can easily make more as a server or hostess in a restaurant with tips than you can working here.
    Unfulfilled promises with regards to training opportunities: they will tell you about all these great opportunities to learn and sign up for training and then when you ask to do so they tell you it's only available to certain individuals.
    They will also tell you in your interview that there is great possibility for career growth. After talking to people in the company, it seems that it takes most people 1.5-2 years minimum to move up into the next level at which point they are making wages that one could still be making in the restaurant industry, waiting tables. These positions are also extremely limited so the chances of getting one of them are very unlikely.
    Temp employees are treated as second-class citizens. They are offered zero benefits compared to regular employees. They don't get healthcare benefits, bus passes, or paid days off. You get to become a regular employee at an unknown point in time - usually over a year after you start.

Check out some of the other Campaign Manager salaries at companies nearby - some of them (located locally) pay $50,000 more per year on average. I don't know what your goal is with paying so low. To train people up so they can leave? Free soda is great, but at the end of the day people need a living wage, healthcare benefits to take care of themselves and their families, and a job that they can be proud of and respect, not free soda at lunch (which they could afford to buy themselves if they were being paid a living wage).

Great collaborative environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the work/life balance at Marchex. Work hard, play hard.

Cons

Like anywhere, info doesn't always trickle down.

Clear and transparent communication.

Work life balance, collaboration and fun

Current Employee - Technical Lead  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance in an industry known for overtime. Decent benefits package. Good pay and raises. Business and Engineering collaboration. We strive to do the right thing for the company instead of taking orders from external partners. Great downtown Seattle location for shopping and entertainment. Company socials and offsite fun - company kickball tournament. Agile methodology allowed to grow in best way for each team's makeup. Cafeteria facing the water with fruits, snacks and drinks.

Cons

Small space for the continuing growth of the company. Some legacy platforms that are difficult to refactor, BUT are on deprecation paths. Training budget per person is small which makes it difficult to go if the training is in another city/state.

Raise the training budget per person. Continue to improve on communication and transparency.

Great people, low pay

Former Employee - Campaign Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company does a really good job of teaching and training you to be an expert when it comes to SEO marketing. They provide tons of free snacks, and you rarely have to put in overtime.

Cons

This company does not pay well. It does not provide health benefits unless you work really hard for them. I didn't get health benefits until I worked there for over a year.

Appreciate all of your employees, not just the executives

Hidden gems in Seattle.

Current Employee - Engineering  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast growing business. Great growth opportunities if you are willing to dig in. No business and engineering silos. All the teams work closely together everyday. Strong focus on getting the culture right.

Cons

The company has some redundant systems. These have come through some acquisitions. We are mostly through which deprecating or refactoring older systems. If we can complete these, we will be able to move much faster.

Make sure that we are investing to keep up with the growth of the business.

Worked for Marchex? Contribute to the Community!