Marchex

Marchex Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Marchex Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Russell C. Horowitz

Russell C. Horowitz

Pros:
  • "Also a plus--great work life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "There's only so much free snacks, unlimited soda, a good downtown location with a view and nerf gun fights can make up for"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "here two people were promoted from entry level, one left within the"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Very low pay, below industry average"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun place to work!

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time

Pros- Great work-life balance
- Engineers are empowered to innovate
- Fun company culture

Cons- Not fully matured as a company
- Lacking a sense of excellence within company culture

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can do better.

Good stepping stone for inexperienced job seekers

Campaign Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany size allows for you to learn outside your direct org. You will need to make yourself a valued asset/visible for career advancement.

ConsSalary is below par for comparable positions. Mid-level management has high turnover rates. This is still very much the minor leagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuicker conversion of tamps to FTE.

People are great. Company, not so much.

Temporary Campaign Manager (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex part-time for more than a year

ProsCompany socials, free food, free soda, free swag, really nice co-workers, nerf gun wars to relieve stress, flex hours

ConsPartner company is impossible to work with, your own company doesn't have a spine and won't stand up to them. Certain supervisors will play favorites. Quality of work doesn't really mean anything since the main focus is to crank out generic barely passable work. People who make mistakes or slack off aren't held accountable so your team will have to pick up the slack.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am glad I made the change!

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for less than a year

ProsIts a developing market which makes it exciting and challenging. Being a good sized corporate company but it feels like more of a fun start up atmosphere. (No bureaucratic hoops and long drawn out process/meetings to get things done) There isn't the work to live mentality which is also nice, it is more work and go live which makes for a much better work environment. HR department is very involved and continuous coaching/career development. Personally I really do love my job, even though it can be stressful the gratitude is always there, and lots of resources to go to for help on projects.

ConsCurrently a few growing pains to get used to, but I think it will be leveling out soon with the teams I work with.

Low pay, high pressure, lots of drinks

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

ProsI would say the best things about working here are the people you meet. They are quality employees who have tons of great industry experience. Also a plus--great work life balance.

ConsLack of accountability, micromanagement starting at the top, and low pay compared to industry/Seattle standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to take accountability for management issues, it impacts the company culture.

Layover job, not a career destination. Great for entry level work experience and programmers.

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

ProsFun, casual company culture. Little freebies like soda and snacks. Great place to learn a lot in short period of time (get some experience under your belt). I have and would recommend it for someone right out of college or trying to get some work experience under their belt.

Cons-Pay scale is much lower. The further you get from being a programmer the wider the discrepancy. Campaign managers, customer service, and administrative workers can expect significantly less than similar jobs at other companies. On top of that the company has very strict boundaries on pay increases, even promotion based pay raises. Expect to get an amazing annual review and then be nickle and dimed (quite literally) when it comes to your raise.
-Temp requirements. The largest single group of employees are the campaign managers (considered entry level). They require that these roles always start as temp with an undetermined conversion to full-time date (often over a year). Even non-entry level roles like their customer service require 3 months as a temp.
-Skeleton crews. This one even applies to programmers. Marchex will promise big, but aren't willing to hire the needed labor to fulfill their promises. Often they fall short or abandon goals completely rather than hire the people needed to achieve the goals.
-Communication and expectations. Often major organizational, procedural or product changes are decided then implemented overnight with little to no input on the feasibility from the employees actually impacted.
-Broken, antiquated product code. The development teams try, but management is always pushing for more bells and whistles instead of fixing well-known platform issues. Right now many of their call based product offerings are cutting edge, but held together with string and duct tape. In a few years when other companies catch up technologically then the detriments inherent in platforms will cost them clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not a start-up anymore! With well over 300 employees you need to start investing in the long-term: both your labor force and your products.

Pay Per Call, it's not Mobile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople in Seattle are very helpful and seem nice.

ConsTechnology hasn't improved or really changed in years. PPC is dead. If they lost Allstate and a few others the company would go down. Middle Management is still same as was years ago just new people. Same old games just new faces.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around!

Good potential but is in DIRE need of a restructure.

Campaign Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

ProsAll the pros are pretty superficial. There's only so much free snacks, unlimited soda, a good downtown location with a view and nerf gun fights can make up for. Every 2 weeks the CMs have a free beer happy hour. Every 4-5 months they throw a company wide event with free food and booze.

However those things do not cover the all the soul sucking "cons" and are pretty weak pros considering most corporate advertising companies and definitely independent agencies do this as a minimum if not more for their employees. If you are not applying for an administrative or operations role you probably will not mind working here as they tend to treat you better. The biggest pro is since your title contains "temp" other jobs will not look down on you when you try to leave in less than a year. Plenty people end up taking jobs at Amazon and Microsoft after putting in a little less than a year here (especially if you have previous experience).

Cons-Cares too much about numbers and pushing out accounts. Since its so numbers based people don't care about quality work so you may end up fixing major errors in an account that was just "optimized" a few days ago. Hard to want to do a good job when everyone else is halfing it.
-Your quality of life and competence of your team members depends on what team you are assigned to. Some teams are expected to work long hours with massive deadlines, some aren't so much. Some teams have people that do good work, others don't. Lots of times if your team does meet its goals you still end up doing extra work for another team that is not meeting its goals.
-Everyone sits in one big room and because of that it can be a bit distracting if you don't plug in headphones. Obnoxious laughter by certain people.
-They hire in waves. If someone leaves the team they do not automatically get replaced meaning your work load doubles. And stays doubled until about 3 months after a new person is hired because it takes that long to fully train them.
-At the end of the quarter teams are evaluated and from there full time hires and more temp works get brought on. Neither your supervisor nor their boss has control over when you finally get to be "full-time" from temp. That information comes down from above and expect to be there over a year before this happens even though they claim up to 6 months.
-They have "calibrations" in which after every quarter they put you in a category based on performance based on the amount of accounts you push out regardless of the massive error rate you may have. Your boss takes this information and from that fights with the other bosses to fill the few full-time spots open.
-Good people to work with but its definitely clique based and can be reminiscent of high-school with lots of back-talking.
-Your "bonus" is crap and there are big hurdle goals in place to make sure you only get the least amount possible.
-Once you are "full-time" the pay doesn't increase you just get sub-standard benefits and a bus pass.
-Temp workers aren't invited the the fancy-schmancy holiday party.
-The company has built their own software they use so prepare for it to go down daily and for it to log you out of it on the hour.
-Dealing with incompetent outsourcing partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your temp employees better. All you are doing currently is training them for better paying positions at other companies.

A fun place to work, great for software engineers

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros- Work/Life balance. This is heavily emphasized at Marchex, and they mean it. Marchex has been referred to as a home for Amazon and Microsoft refugees, and it really is. Smart engineers and managers who are sick of being paged in the middle of the night seem to end up at Marchex.

- Good engineering practices. ...if you're on the right team. Most teams adhere strictly to Agile (some with XP) and do Test Driven Development. If you're not good at working closely with others for the majority of your time, Marchex can be trying.

- Company culture. Marchex likes to party. There are social events at least monthly, many Fridays work stops around 3:30 and people hang out for happy hour in the lunch room, which has amazing views of the sound.

- Free snacks etc. It's a nice perk, but not a reason to join a company. Unless you're trying to make up your compensation by drinking twenty cans of diet coke a day.

- People. Marchex focuses pretty heavily on "culture fit" in their interview process. They need to be convinced that you're smart and can do the job well, but how you'll get along with your teammates is crucial. I made very good friends at Marchex.

Cons- Lower salary/total compensation than the big companies in Seattle (Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Facebook).

- Lack of direction. This is changing, but Marchex grew a lot by acquisition, and the business seemed to lack focus. The proposed (and aborted) spin-off of Archeo felt like an attempt to make Marchex appear more focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to stop losing developers to Zulily, pay them what they're worth.

Fun culture & smart people

I have been working at Marchex

ProsThere is a laid back atmosphere, lots of autonomy in most job positions, free snacks, killer view of the water, the general culture makes it a fun place to work and the people are highly intelligent!

ConsThe biggest gripe is the pay, trying to get a raise is tough and they create job title barriers to get the salary you deserve. The annual raise is pretty insulting (1-3%)

Worked for Marchex? Contribute to the Community!

Marchex Videos

Marchex – Why Work for Us?

Our advertising technology turns hope into expectation. An ad campaign is an investment. And we believe you should only invest in ads that get you tangible results. Marchex is a mobile advertising technology company… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marchex reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marchex CEO Russell C. Horowitz. All 69 reviews posted anonymously by Marchex employees.