Marchex Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Pete Christothoulou

Pros
  • Also a plus--great work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• The requisite free snacks and drinks are available (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • here two people were promoted from entry level, one left within the (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of accountability, micromanagement starting at the top, and low pay compared to industry/Seattle standards (in 4 reviews)

1. Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I accepted a job with Marchex a year ago and it was a great decision. I had a few offers with other companies but Marchex seemed like the best fit for me and for my future. the company has a strong vision for the future, and treats all of its employees with respect. I have had the opportunity to learn a lot from my team and grow in my career. The people at Marchex are really what makes it a great place to work, I enjoy coming to the office everyday and that means a lot!

Cons

I honestly don't have many complaints about working at Marchex

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I have truly enjoyed working for Marchex for the past year and would recommend the company to anyone.

2. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Partner Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Partner Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time

Pros

The company culture is a perfect fit for me - Marchex feels like home. I’m comfortable, yet still challenged. I feel supported by my peers and upper management. I genuinely enjoy coming to work. Work hard play hard is a cliché, yet very applicable to Marchex. No shortage of social entertainment from happy hours to sporting events and even an all company kickball tournament. While trivial to some, I love the office location. Highlights include easy access to downtown shopping and some of my favorite Capitol Hill restaurants.

Cons

Product strategy can pivot frequently - be prepared to switch your focus.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employee training.

3. Senior Client Director

Current Employee - Senior Client Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time

Pros

• Empowering team environment where self-starters drive their own career • Innovation at its best, from products to themed corporate parties • Smart, talented and fun colleagues • Competitive comp packages and investment in employee development

Cons

• Shared engineering resources and challenging prioritization of roadmap items • Emerging sales enablement and training process

Advice to Management

I love hearing the sound of the bell outside of Pete’s office when new business is signed! Keep it up!

5. Great people, too much turnover

I worked at Marchex full-time

Pros

Marchex is skilled in hiring top-notch talent who bring new insight, process, and innovation to the company. I always felt surrounded by many I could learn from, and impressed with the speed and agility we had as a team to switch gears or pivot directions.

Cons

No clear direction. I was there during growing pains, some good and some bad but it was a time when product direction kept changing on a monthly basis and large clients dictated what and when we should build as new features or products. Lack of longterm vision made morale sink and too much good talent walked out the door to other companies.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. And listen to the decision makers around you. Too often myself and team were not confident in upper-level management decisions and reasonings. This makes it difficult to have a team spirit for a common goal.

6. Nimble 10yr old public, tech start-up

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- nimble. agile culture who rewards intra-prenurial activities - Public company visibility and quarterly goals drive the company to focus on revenue generating activities - good vision of the future in the space

Cons

- PUBLIC companies of all sizes can get caught up in bureaucracy, MCHX is no different. - to much diversification can lead to an untidy balance sheet and OKR's, the company is just now starting to "profit from the core"

7. Marchex - the best mature start-up in Seattle!

I have been working at Marchex

Pros

I've worked for many companies, large/small, start-up/established and this is a great big'ish company with all the right ingredients (HR, Career advancement, Goals, Smart & Hard working co-workers, Strong Leadership, Mobile innovation/technology - in a growing market) to succeed in your role, team and company. Other Pros: -Lots of transparency from the executive team -Excellent downtown location -Great culture / Fun work events - I feel valued!

Cons

I can' think of any cons at this point.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of programs and perhaps a little more focus would be helpful.

8. Change and innovation are in the air

Current Employee - Social Media Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Social Media Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex

Pros

I started at Marchex about a month ago, and it was clear in my interview process through my first few weeks that these people are serious about our products and completely invested in not only delivering the best outcome to our customers, but also providing the best place to work in Seattle. There is a great deal of trust placed on employees to do their jobs and do them well. After releasing the domain name portion of the business, Marchex and CEO Pete Christothoulou have refocused the company to be the leading innovator and provider of mobile advertising and call analytics. This focus has enabled teams across the company to really hone in on making the products perform better and syncing our messaging through appropriate channels and providing clear, succinct information to clients and investors. Marchex, in my opinion, is really coming into its own. I am excited to be a part of this phase in Marchex's maturing as a company and taking center stage in mobile advertising.

Cons

So far, none to speak of. Everyone has been friendly, welcoming and supportive in all aspects of my role. Pete is incredibly approachable and is very driven to helping his employees succeed.

Advice to Management

Continue to put trust in your employees and focus the business. So far, so good!

9. Growing Company In An Exciting Market

I have been working at Marchex full-time

Pros

+ The "online to offline" analytics business is growing quickly, Marchex's products solve a real marketer need. + Multiple new products in development - product pipeline is very strong. + Company is at a nice stage... 400 people... small enough that everyone makes an impact and seems entrepreneurial, but with larger company perks & security

Cons

- growing quickly means growing pains - it means that people / groups need to be nimble to accommodate the growth - sometimes can be challenging. - could use a few less meetings

Advice to Management

-> Continue investments in people & training. -> Expand sales & marketing. -> Overall, time to hit the gas.

10. Opportunity to Make an Impact

Current Employee - Senior Account Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to make an impact whether you are leading a team or an individual contributor. I work with people that regularly challenge me, are motivated to do great work and passionate about what matters to the client.

Cons

Being cutting edge means you are trying new things regularly, changing course often. This environment can sometimes be challenging for someone who feels more satisfied with ensuring every new project is completed 100%.

11. Encourages entrepreneurial spirit and rewards committed employees

Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The path to growth is well outlined. Both for myself and in my role as manager, I have seen over 100 examples of employee growth in my 2 year tenure. Marchex values and rewards those who chose to speak up, make their intentions for development clear and put the work in. The team spirit is unparalleled, both in how we support one another to accomplish our goals, but also in the fun environment that we cultivate. Employee events encourage participation and cross-team collaboration, plus, they are a blast! Folks in my department are like my family and just as I was referred to Marchex, I refer my friends and former colleagues here often. The positive work/life balance that was mentioned during my interview process is REAL.

Cons

There are opportunities to better support our roadmap as competing priorities present themselves. Similarly to what other tech companies face.

Advice to Management

Suggest continued efforts in employee development in terms of working to identify the next level of executive leadership.

RSS Feed </> Embed