Marchex Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Pete Christothoulou

Pros
  • Also a plus--great work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• The requisite free snacks and drinks are available (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • here two people were promoted from entry level, one left within the (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of accountability, micromanagement starting at the top, and low pay compared to industry/Seattle standards (in 4 reviews)

1. Extraordinary and Driven Co-workers, Visionary Management, Cutting Edge Solutions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible management team with great vision and commitment to the company; challenged every day by bright, ambitious co-workers who want to win (and also facilitate great camaraderie), solid benefits and pay considering work/life balance, leader of the pack solutions around mobile analytics and data that make me proud to be here!

Cons

Like many companies, we need tighter coordination between working levels across product and sales. Need to grow sales team.

Advice to Management

Thank you!

2. Marchex - Great Opportunities

Pros

Values employee opinions Gives opportunities/responsibilities Work/Life Balance Open door policy

Cons

Health and Medical Benefits are not the best

Advice to Management

Keep building those employees that show they want more responsibility, challenges, opportunities, etc.

3. Fast paced job

I worked at Marchex full-time

Pros

Fun environment with lots to learn.

Cons

Keeps employees on as "temporary" as long as they can to avoid higher wages and benefits.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your hard working employees and they will give back 10 fold.

5. Very Healthy Company

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Great work/life balance (no aggressive date-driven projects). I have a family with 2 young kids and I need this balance. * Instilling a safe environment, a team oriented environment where you can learn and grow from others. * Planning and building with the long term focus. * Stable company, still with a start-up feel to it. * Financially very healthy. No debt, currently $100M+ cash in the bank. * Huge upside in growth * Trying to solve for problems that no other companies have solved yet. Bridging the offline actions with online behaviors. A huge blind-spot currently in the industry.

Cons

* Some of the benefits could be a little more competitive (401k, corporate discount program, life insurance) * Still volatile and relatively unknown stock

Advice to Management

Stay long-term focused and continue to cultivate a culture that is "doing the right thing". Stick to your plan and provide updates on the initiatives like you are with "y2s".

6. Supervisor - Campaign management

I worked at Marchex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people work here. I don't know that I have ever enjoyed such a broad group of individuals who were as much fun.

Cons

The direction of the company led to cutting the resources of the busiest and most profitable channels. This resulted in an inability to reward top performers to the level they deserved, and in turn they left the company.

Advice to Management

Take care of the best and brightest in all levels of the company. It's tough to keep starting over.

7. Friendly coworkers and a fun, productive environment

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

* Very low amount of internal politicking, especially compared to Amazon or Microsoft. People are generally interested in helping get the right thing done. * Great work/life balance. I think the average employee here puts in 40 hours a week with only occasional time working late or on weekends. * Good opportunities to move around internally in the company, making it very easy to pivot your career or stretch to try something new. * A strong effort is made to recognize teams and individuals for standout work. * Good communication from upper management on the overall direction of the company. * The environment here on the whole is fun. Regular socials, free snacks and a pinball machine aren't good reasons on their own to work anywhere but they do help build a bond with your colleagues and offset the regular stress of any office job. * The office location is great; I love working downtown and it's relatively easy for most people to get to.

Cons

* Benefits and pay are both mediocre: Not terrible, but not great. * The stock has been basically dead in the water for the last year. * Significant misalignment between the business and technology sides of the house. It doesn't feel like we're all rowing in the same direction. * The company is pivoting to a new business focus that it thinks has tremendous potential, and perhaps it does but that potential is thus far unproved. (See: Stock dead in water)

Advice to Management

* Focus on improving benefits in areas where you can compete with the bigger players. Paternity/maternity benefits in particular have been making a lot of headlines lately and could easily sway some people more than raw salary. * Get the business and technology teams on the same page, from the SVP level down. Product team performance is judged by how well they chase the new hotness while the business's performance (and bonuses) are judged by squeezing money out of existing services. It doesn't incentivize them to work together.

8. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Partner Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Partner Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time

Pros

The company culture is a perfect fit for me - Marchex feels like home. I’m comfortable, yet still challenged. I feel supported by my peers and upper management. I genuinely enjoy coming to work. Work hard play hard is a cliché, yet very applicable to Marchex. No shortage of social entertainment from happy hours to sporting events and even an all company kickball tournament. While trivial to some, I love the office location. Highlights include easy access to downtown shopping and some of my favorite Capitol Hill restaurants.

Cons

Product strategy can pivot frequently - be prepared to switch your focus.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employee training.

9. Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I accepted a job with Marchex a year ago and it was a great decision. I had a few offers with other companies but Marchex seemed like the best fit for me and for my future. the company has a strong vision for the future, and treats all of its employees with respect. I have had the opportunity to learn a lot from my team and grow in my career. The people at Marchex are really what makes it a great place to work, I enjoy coming to the office everyday and that means a lot!

Cons

I honestly don't have many complaints about working at Marchex

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I have truly enjoyed working for Marchex for the past year and would recommend the company to anyone.

10. A company to work at until you find a real job

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

The annual Kickball game. Free Snacks. Good work life balance. They only hire a certain type of people

Cons

shady management practices. Being investigated by SEC.

11. Senior Client Director

Current Employee - Senior Client Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time

Pros

• Empowering team environment where self-starters drive their own career • Innovation at its best, from products to themed corporate parties • Smart, talented and fun colleagues • Competitive comp packages and investment in employee development

Cons

• Shared engineering resources and challenging prioritization of roadmap items • Emerging sales enablement and training process

Advice to Management

I love hearing the sound of the bell outside of Pete’s office when new business is signed! Keep it up!

RSS Feed </> Embed