Marchex Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.7

Marchex Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Russell C. Horowitz
Russell C. Horowitz

Pros
  • Work life balance in an industry known for overtime (in 14 reviews)

• The requisite free snacks and drinks are available (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • here two people were promoted from entry level, one left within the (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, below industry average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, tons of market potential, technology focused.

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to solve tough marketing technology problems for the mobile space - focus is on bridging the online to offline actions via calls. Excellent company culture and people, we work hard and have great work/life balance. Most folks are out of the office by 5 PM, but the commitment to help each other internally and our customers is a shared commitment across the organization. The requisite free snacks and drinks are available...

Cons

Compensation is not on par with larger technology companies in Seattle, but work/life balance and culture bridge that gap.

Fun work atmosphere with very healthy work/life balance and good benefits in an emerging industry.

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working in the heart of downtown Seattle and Marchex had a nice office allowing good flexibility with its employees. The company valued utilizing each persons gifts through their positions and allowing for personal growth.

Cons

Working in mobile advertising was not very exciting for me. Additionally, I needed to increase my income and felt challenged to increase my income.

Work life balance, collaboration and fun

Current Employee - Technical Lead  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance in an industry known for overtime. Decent benefits package. Good pay and raises. Business and Engineering collaboration. We strive to do the right thing for the company instead of taking orders from external partners. Great downtown Seattle location for shopping and entertainment. Company socials and offsite fun - company kickball tournament. Agile methodology allowed to grow in best way for each team's makeup. Cafeteria facing the water with fruits, snacks and drinks.

Cons

Small space for the continuing growth of the company. Some legacy platforms that are difficult to refactor, BUT are on deprecation paths. Training budget per person is small which makes it difficult to go if the training is in another city/state.

Raise the training budget per person. Continue to improve on communication and transparency.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hidden gems in Seattle.

Current Employee - Engineering  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast growing business. Great growth opportunities if you are willing to dig in. No business and engineering silos. All the teams work closely together everyday. Strong focus on getting the culture right.

Cons

The company has some redundant systems. These have come through some acquisitions. We are mostly through which deprecating or refactoring older systems. If we can complete these, we will be able to move much faster.

Make sure that we are investing to keep up with the growth of the business.

Profitable Public Company with a Start Up Feel and Amazing People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very interesting products and technology.
    - Complete visibility into how you impact the bottom line
    - Open, honest, and respectful culture
    - Amazing work life balance

Cons

- There is still a little randomization as we figure out what products and services will take Marchex to the next level

Marchex has been on a roll in the past 18 months. Let's tighten up our strategy and go all in from a financial perspective. Let's take the financial risks necessary to become a multi-billion dollar business.

I am glad I made the change!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a developing market which makes it exciting and challenging. Being a good sized corporate company but it feels like more of a fun start up atmosphere. (No bureaucratic hoops and long drawn out process/meetings to get things done) There isn't the work to live mentality which is also nice, it is more work and go live which makes for a much better work environment. HR department is very involved and continuous coaching/career development. Personally I really do love my job, even though it can be stressful the gratitude is always there, and lots of resources to go to for help on projects.

Cons

Currently a few growing pains to get used to, but I think it will be leveling out soon with the teams I work with.

Professionals everywhere you look

Current Employee - Mid-level Tech  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Mid-level Tech in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time for less than a year

Pros

No "marginal" people - all are expert and highly competent in their respective roles. Sr. Leadership takes the time and makes the effort to promote transparency. Everyone I've encountered so far seems to really enjoy their job. Lost of positive energy.

Cons

I have to say I haven't yet encountered any cons. Managers value their people, remember their role is to serve and support their directs. Sr. Leadership is friendly and approachable, *listens* to what you say regardless of your role or level.

Stay open, approachable, and serviceable to those of us in the boilers and we'll all continue to enjoy the benefits of a solid, competent foundation.

Amazing Business to be a Part of.

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything from Moral Events, Benefits, Employee Satisfaction, Fairness, Location. Everyone here always had a smile on their face. They company has grown immensely in the last two years and it doesn't plan to stop there. This is an excellent company to work for and there is no better time than now.

Cons

The only think I could think of, is the lack of communication from the superiors. You have to kind of remind them once or twice about a few things, but other than that, there are no Cons for this business.

Try to communicate more with your employees. Keep them on level ground with what is going on around them.

The best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex

Pros

Marchex is one of the few companies left that treats their employees like a non-expendable resource. They want you to be happy and to have healthy work-life balance - they feel it makes you more productive, and helps with employee retention.

Cons

They pay less than the big software boys in the area, and have fewer perks than Google or Microsoft (but more than Amazon).

Good job so far - keep it up. The kind of growth we are seeing in the calls sector makes me proud to be part of the team.

Marchex is focused and making things happen

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Marchex

Pros

Still has a start up feel while the opportunities and job challenges are great.

Cons

With big opportunities come big aspirations, which means hard work against project deadlines.

Continue communicating openly and with your accessibility - it is one of the best things about Marchex.

Worked for Marchex? Contribute to the Community!