Marchex

Marchex Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Marchex Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Russell C. Horowitz

Russell C. Horowitz

Pros
  • Work life balance in an industry known for overtime(in 13 reviews)

• There's only so much free snacks, unlimited soda, a good downtown location with a view and nerf gun fights can make up for(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • here two people were promoted from entry level, one left within the(in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, below industry average(in 4 reviews)

Work life balance, collaboration and fun

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWork life balance in an industry known for overtime. Decent benefits package. Good pay and raises. Business and Engineering collaboration. We strive to do the right thing for the company instead of taking orders from external partners. Great downtown Seattle location for shopping and entertainment. Company socials and offsite fun - company kickball tournament. Agile methodology allowed to grow in best way for each team's makeup. Cafeteria facing the water with fruits, snacks and drinks.

ConsSmall space for the continuing growth of the company. Some legacy platforms that are difficult to refactor, BUT are on deprecation paths. Training budget per person is small which makes it difficult to go if the training is in another city/state.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the training budget per person. Continue to improve on communication and transparency.

Hidden gems in Seattle.

Engineering (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFast growing business. Great growth opportunities if you are willing to dig in. No business and engineering silos. All the teams work closely together everyday. Strong focus on getting the culture right.

ConsThe company has some redundant systems. These have come through some acquisitions. We are mostly through which deprecating or refactoring older systems. If we can complete these, we will be able to move much faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that we are investing to keep up with the growth of the business.

Profitable Public Company with a Start Up Feel and Amazing People

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Very interesting products and technology.
    - Complete visibility into how you impact the bottom line
    - Open, honest, and respectful culture
    - Amazing work life balance

Cons- There is still a little randomization as we figure out what products and services will take Marchex to the next level

Advice to Senior ManagementMarchex has been on a roll in the past 18 months. Let's tighten up our strategy and go all in from a financial perspective. Let's take the financial risks necessary to become a multi-billion dollar business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am glad I made the change!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIts a developing market which makes it exciting and challenging. Being a good sized corporate company but it feels like more of a fun start up atmosphere. (No bureaucratic hoops and long drawn out process/meetings to get things done) There isn't the work to live mentality which is also nice, it is more work and go live which makes for a much better work environment. HR department is very involved and continuous coaching/career development. Personally I really do love my job, even though it can be stressful the gratitude is always there, and lots of resources to go to for help on projects.

ConsCurrently a few growing pains to get used to, but I think it will be leveling out soon with the teams I work with.

Professionals everywhere you look

Mid-level Tech (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsNo "marginal" people - all are expert and highly competent in their respective roles. Sr. Leadership takes the time and makes the effort to promote transparency. Everyone I've encountered so far seems to really enjoy their job. Lost of positive energy.

ConsI have to say I haven't yet encountered any cons. Managers value their people, remember their role is to serve and support their directs. Sr. Leadership is friendly and approachable, *listens* to what you say regardless of your role or level.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay open, approachable, and serviceable to those of us in the boilers and we'll all continue to enjoy the benefits of a solid, competent foundation.

Amazing Business to be a Part of.

Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsEverything from Moral Events, Benefits, Employee Satisfaction, Fairness, Location. Everyone here always had a smile on their face. They company has grown immensely in the last two years and it doesn't plan to stop there. This is an excellent company to work for and there is no better time than now.

ConsThe only think I could think of, is the lack of communication from the superiors. You have to kind of remind them once or twice about a few things, but other than that, there are no Cons for this business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to communicate more with your employees. Keep them on level ground with what is going on around them.

The best place I've ever worked

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsMarchex is one of the few companies left that treats their employees like a non-expendable resource. They want you to be happy and to have healthy work-life balance - they feel it makes you more productive, and helps with employee retention.

ConsThey pay less than the big software boys in the area, and have fewer perks than Google or Microsoft (but more than Amazon).

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job so far - keep it up. The kind of growth we are seeing in the calls sector makes me proud to be part of the team.

Marchex is focused and making things happen

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsStill has a start up feel while the opportunities and job challenges are great.

ConsWith big opportunities come big aspirations, which means hard work against project deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue communicating openly and with your accessibility - it is one of the best things about Marchex.

Amazing Place to Work with Unparalleled Growth Potential

(Current Employee)

ProsI am proud to work for a company that is led by senior executives from worldclass technology companies like Google, Infospace, Go2Net, and Idearc Super Media. These men bring a level of excellence, strategic thinking, swagger, and leadership that will allow us to win the Internet advertising market. We own Calls Advertising and to a lesser extent, Small Business Marketing. We unarguably have the best product, engineering, and account management teams in the world and are bringing in A+ players from places like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon and are redefining Web 3.0 advertising. In addition, the work culture is inclusive, collaborative, and fun (poker tournaments and golf outings). We work hard but play harder and lead with innovation from within and externally.

ConsBenefits could be better like having matching 401k or more vacation time (2 weeks is standard). Marchex has an undeserved reputation as a spammer from all their parked domains but we have very smart, experienced leadership in that group that is changing that.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the excellent work in maintaining focus and hiring the best talent to lead us to the promised land of being the next 'Google' of Seattle. Onward and upward.

energy here is contagious

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros+ culture and the people
    + management seems focused
    + work-life balance

Cons- you have to like change to be here....

Worked for Marchex? Contribute to the Community!