Marchex

Updated December 18, 2014
3.4

Marchex Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer Russell C. Horowitz
Russell C. Horowitz

Pros
  • Work life balance in an industry known for overtime (in 14 reviews)

• The requisite free snacks and drinks are available (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • here two people were promoted from entry level, one left within the (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, below industry average (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Caught in a dysfunctional group.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people. Great work/life balance. Fun team building activities. It is nice to work downtown where your are near to shopping and restaurants.

Cons

Ended up in a group where the group cohesion is built around there being an 'outsider' in the group. I am that person. While we are encouraged to express our opinions, if we disagree with a decision, it is best to keep it to yourself.

Expect engineering to care more about customers and their needs.

Low Pay, Shady Politics

I have been working at Marchex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Facilities is great and takes care of everyone. Free snacks.

Cons

Low pay. No Benefits.
    Pay is well below industry standard. You can make more serving or bartending. You won't get benefits and they will work you like a dog. Not an ethical employer that puts value in its employees. There really is no growth in the company unless you are willing to sell your soul. They'll tell you there is plenty of room for growth and that they are growing but look at their stock. Blatantly not true.

Good entry level positions, hard to move up and set career goals if working a support role

I have been working at Marchex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, Marchex really tries to have fun and organize lots of events for their employees to socialize at. Most teams seem to vibe well together and there is an overall positive feeling in the office.

Great views and access to downtown.

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all and creates tension between people in varying roles.

Marchex will do anything to keep its engineers happy and working, while the support staff gets a "take it or leave it" attitude.

Develop more vertical flexibility in your support staff roles and compensate hard workers instead of sticking to previously established roles which are no longer relevant.

Instead of cycling through the employees in the support roles, invest into the ones worth keeping around.

Relaxed, productive environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time

Pros

People are generally productive, fun, and smart. They work hard and go home when the work day is over. There is plenty of opportunity to grow, and enough senior-level, experienced professionals to guide you on your way.

Cons

Compensation may be a little lower than the top five employers of software developers, but the ambiance and empowerment make up for the difference.

Lots of competent people, some political agents

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good teams and competent leadership, with generally positive problem solving attitudes. Lots of opportunity in the strategic space of performance advertising and call analytics

Cons

There are lots of legacy systems to decode and work through. Technical debt is never convenient to discharge. Some alignment challenges across teams.

Hopefully stronger alignment between business and engineering can improve communication gaps. Saw a dilution of message as it filtered through multiple layers, and personal motives of (the few) political actors do not always reflect the strategy

eh

Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fun people to work with

Cons

Conference rooms looked like high school computer labs

Great people, tons of market potential, technology focused.

I have been working at Marchex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to solve tough marketing technology problems for the mobile space - focus is on bridging the online to offline actions via calls. Excellent company culture and people, we work hard and have great work/life balance. Most folks are out of the office by 5 PM, but the commitment to help each other internally and our customers is a shared commitment across the organization. The requisite free snacks and drinks are available...

Cons

Compensation is not on par with larger technology companies in Seattle, but work/life balance and culture bridge that gap.

Fun work atmosphere with very healthy work/life balance and good benefits in an emerging industry.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working in the heart of downtown Seattle and Marchex had a nice office allowing good flexibility with its employees. The company valued utilizing each persons gifts through their positions and allowing for personal growth.

Cons

Working in mobile advertising was not very exciting for me. Additionally, I needed to increase my income and felt challenged to increase my income.

Great culture, great future

I have been working at Marchex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of very smart, motivated, and passionate people work here. The company has barely scratched the surface of performance-based advertising and Marchexers are working like crazy to grow rapidly in the space. Working in downtown Seattle is great. Views, check! Free snacks, check!

Cons

Aging facilities, lack of documentation.

Talented People Without a Clear Vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex as a contractor

Pros

Free drinks & snacks, occasional freebie "swag," great location/views, work-life balance is valued, overtime usually possible, flex schedule, casual dress.

The people are all pretty nice, smart, and young. Few people are dragging down the team and causing you to do extra work in my experience. This is a nice environment to be a part of, however the free "stuff" doesn't really make up for the cons of the job unfortunately. It's more like a stepping stone to get to the next thing.

Cons

Lowest industry wages of any comparable work: You can easily make more as a server or hostess in a restaurant with tips than you can working here.
    Unfulfilled promises with regards to training opportunities: they will tell you about all these great opportunities to learn and sign up for training and then when you ask to do so they tell you it's only available to certain individuals.
    They will also tell you in your interview that there is great possibility for career growth. After talking to people in the company, it seems that it takes most people 1.5-2 years minimum to move up into the next level at which point they are making wages that one could still be making in the restaurant industry, waiting tables. These positions are also extremely limited so the chances of getting one of them are very unlikely.
    Temp employees are treated as second-class citizens. They are offered zero benefits compared to regular employees. They don't get healthcare benefits, bus passes, or paid days off. You get to become a regular employee at an unknown point in time - usually over a year after you start.

Check out some of the other Campaign Manager salaries at companies nearby - some of them (located locally) pay $50,000 more per year on average. I don't know what your goal is with paying so low. To train people up so they can leave? Free soda is great, but at the end of the day people need a living wage, healthcare benefits to take care of themselves and their families, and a job that they can be proud of and respect, not free soda at lunch (which they could afford to buy themselves if they were being paid a living wage).