Marcum LLP Reviews

2.2

Marcum LLP Managing Partner Jeffrey M. Weiner
Jeffrey M. Weiner

Employees treated very well

I have been working at Marcum LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful office, best insurance available,free snacks and a "quiet room", during tax season we are treated with lunch once a week and fun activities like bingo andan after season party (even if you are not in the tax department)

Cons

Not much room for advancement unless you are straight out of college.

Keep it up.

The most toxic environment I've ever encountered.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Roseland, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Those "in the trenches" are generally good employees, hard-working and smart.

Cons

The Partners in Charge of the RE group are disrespectful to staff, and make questionable decisions. They treat their employees like children, with a "because I said so" attitude. Career development and growth potential are nonexistent, as is training.

Respect and appreciation go a long way. Your staff has gotten you to where you are.

This is a very political workplace.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time

Pros

Large firm with varied clientele. Pay is good. Nice building.

Cons

What you'll work on depends on who you are friendly with. This firm grows by acquisition with no plans on how to integrate staff. The offices are very cramped and managers do not have offices. Senior managers might. CPE is in-house and not good.

Care about the people, not just the billing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Service Support I

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Different Technology to learn,
    Different Applications to learn.
    Overtime, On-Call, Work from home when needed

Cons

Little to no Training , unless you call the Engineers that will take time to train you on that particular issue

Get a Help Desk Supervisor, Manager running Thin. doing both IT management and Help Desk Supervisor

Some good people does make a great firm

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Northeast, NY

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a rapidly changing firm. they have locations around country and their presence is expanding. they have a good reputation in tax and other areas.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover at junior levels. It has a mediocre reputation in the industry. Leadership is not moving the needle to eradicate or change this state.

create a higher esprit de corp. firm culture is not clearly identifiable. strive for excellence.

Integrity of New England practice is an issue

I worked at Marcum LLP

Pros

When behaving - they have the ability to act like a team.

Have fun and know how to party.

Do their best with the people they have.

Cons

New England practice has displayed serious lapses of integrity in numerous areas.

Practice in New England was treated like a piggy bank for the parties of leadership.

Keep a close eye on your New England practice or you could face legal and ethical consequences.

No resources, no investment in employees, not worth it

Former Employee - Recruiting "Director"  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiting "Director" in New York, NY

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

They tell you they work from 8:30am to 5:30am, but everyone shows up at 9:15 and leaves by 4:30.

Cons

No investment in their staff and no resources - The longest tenured colleague had been there for a year and a half. That's pretty much all I needed to know. All recruiters are on a draw and the two heads of the department are frat boy types that have constant inappropriate conversations about their sex lives and middle age crisis relationships.

Invest in your staff and don't accept the insane level of attrition that you do. Be more professional.

Assistant Mailroom Clerk

Former Employee - Mailroom Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mailroom Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Marcum LLP part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mostly professional and hard working people
    Always work to do to keep yourself busy
    Company outings

Cons

Some management demand their things to be done ahead of others during busy season
    A couple of rude staff members
    Very low raises, if any

not a well known company

I worked at Marcum LLP

Pros

used to have great co-workers but everyone left

Cons

management is disconnected from staff

Terrible management in the IT department. Does anyone at Marcum notice?

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Melville, NY

I worked at Marcum LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

The firm as a whole seemed like an ok place to work outside of the IT department. It was by far the most miserable career experience of my life due to bad management, absent leadership and highly unprofessional conduct by the people Marcum pays to head their IT department.

Cons

As for the Cons, where do I begin?
    Fortunately for me, I was there for a little less than 1 year. Soon after I started working there, strangely I was told by IT management not to talk to certain team members who eventually quit before I did. I wonder why they didn't want team members talking to each other? In truth I really didn't need to talk to anyone as I knew very early on the problems stemmed from bad management.

There was no genuine appreciation and or compensation for the long hours, nights, holidays and weekends given up to work on projects that were poorly managed and planned . Then if there were any problems, management would lie about certain events and point the blame to their own staff to cover their mistakes. The team if you could even call it a "team" had very low morale. Not to mention participation in a 24/7 on call rotation that was heavily micro-managed and every event "big or small" was treated as a severity 1 high priority issue.

As far as career development - The Engineering team was told that training was only given if you deserved it and if you asked for training it was held against you at review. So basically no one received training of any kind (formal or informal) and it was conveyed that you should use your own time and money to enhance your knowledge of their systems. There are many problems with that philosophy but the biggest oversight is having your Engineering team work on average (60 to 70 hours per week) with no bonuses or comp days and then to expect them to use their personal time for training is just plain shortsighted as well as leading to the above mentioned low morale and high turnover.

About the high turnover - more than 75% of the IT Engineering staff had been there less than 6 months when I started and before I left some of them were even working on leaving too. I found out that they had been through at least 4 complete IT teams in 3 years and everyone eventually left, yet they kept the same small management group. When I left, there was not one person in the Engineering Dept. that had been there for longer than 1 year.

Having a revolving door employment environment for certain departments in a company might not be so bad but if your IT department is a revolving door, it's a critical business failure. The Marcum Senior Partners need to realize that their IT management problems cost them a lot of money in the long run. Mainly in the form of high turnover of IT staff which leads to, IT head hunting fees for the many new hires that get cycled through each year, having projects "sit on the shelf" because you do not have the people to get the work done and having to overpay IT new hires just to deal with the horrible working conditions created by inept manamgment. Unless Human Resources gets together with the Senior Partners to discuss the IT management problems and to possibly change the leadership of the IT Dept., I would highly recommend that all IT professionals stay away from this company.

Worked for Marcum LLP? Contribute to the Community!