Marcus Corporation

Add Photos

Marcus Corporation CEO and Director Gregory S. Marcus

Gregory S. Marcus

A great place to work

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    New Berlin, WI

ProsI enjoyed the atmosphere of this job more than anything. Great people and great management. Walking into a work that is very supportive is always a good feeling.

ConsWell it's a movie theater so your going to work some late nights and clean up other people's mess but for the most part, the cons are included in the job descripiton so it's not anything you don't know ahead of time. Working holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to control the level of high school drama between managers and staff. Other than that, keep creating magical movie memories.

Overall good experience

Madison, WI

ProsThey really encourage a positive attitude in all employees and it seems like they actually want their employees to be happy.

ConsThey sometimes have an attitude of being superior to other places, which can make employees feel pressure to act that way too.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that all employees feel that they can talk to their managers openly, rather than feel intimidated by them.

Mindless work for just over minimum wage

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Addison, IL

ProsFree movies, popcorn, and drinks are a great perk for the high school aged kids who work there. Ushering (cleaning theatres, ripping tickets) requires pretty much zero cognitive ability. Working in the concession stand requires a little more since you're handling money. And working the box office you handle a lot of cash.

ConsStart at minimum wage. Get a 25cent raise after one year. After that pretty sure the raises get smaller and smaller. If you're seasonal and making more than minimum wage, then minimum wage goes up to be higher than what you were making, your hourly wage only goes up to what the current minimum is once you come back, even if you've been there for years. You don't get much of a boost for supervising or managing, either. Wearing a tuxedo (as everyone who isn't a manager is required to) is also pretty lame. Hypocritical middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on competency and good leadership skills, not based on those who suck up and are good at nitpicking.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Addison, IL

ProsGreat employees to work with, customers are ok. The benefits are very nice, free movies and popcorn and drinks. I would recommend it for a part time job.

ConsThe pay is very low, usually minimum wage but depending how long you have worked there possibly slightly above

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is very poor. If communication between the managers and the regular staff was more clear and encouraging then they could get much more out of what they have.

Not a bad place

ProsThe job had many freedoms to it. Also, there was a cafeteria on site for free lunch or dinner during breaks.

ConsThe work schedule is not that great. Pretty much have to work every weekend and holiday, but what can you expect from the hospitality industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership at the company is doing pretty well. They might want to increase the pay a bit and be selective of the people they hire.

Beware!

Night Auditor (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsJob security. As long as you don't steal, you're safe.

ConsWatch less qualified people advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting "yes men." Just because they agree with you, doesn't mean they're/you're right/

Family company that moves very slowly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPace of work is reasonable

ConsDecisions are not made quickly and require approval at higher levels than should be required

In general good place to work

ProsInteresting variety of work, flexibility, hotel and theatre deals, good office location

Consnoncompetitive salaries, limited room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementStay competitive with the market - you attract good people but don't always keep them or keep them motivated because of this.

It used to be a great place to work...

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI was with Marcus Hotels for 13 years and it used to be a place where recognition and promotions for were possible. I became a manager and was recognized on their counsel as a 'future leader' of the company. I was on a fast track and I had the help of Sr. Management to help plan the route to promote my future success.

ConsWhile all of the Pros are true, I can sadly say that the company is no longer like this. They went from being a family focused, 'we care about our team' company to a company who cares only about numbers. While I believe the success of a company is important so the numbers are as well, I believe in the development of your proven team members will lead to the company's future success as well as the culture in which the company was founded, by Ben Marcus, whom I had the pleasure of meeting. The upper leadership has sadly become a boys club where the managers at property level that are getting promoted are those who hardly put in any effort let alone make intelligent decisions. The Sr. Management who still tried to withhold the culture which the company was founded are no longer there and it shows. Having thought I would retire from the company, I am truly saddened by the way in which the company is currently run.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the basics. Recreate the culture which Ben Marcus founded the company back to the first Big Boy and the first hotel. Value your employees who have been with you for years and who have a proven track record; develop them. Remove the 'frat boy, boys club' management that is currently in place and actually get to know the personality and morals of the managers who are running your departments and hotels; recognize talent. Go back to empowering your employees and standing behind their decisions. Spend time at the properties and not just during the holidays when you send the hotels into a temporary uproar; get to know your employees (Ben & Celia Marcus actually knew me by name). In the book Good To Great, they say that it's not about having people on your bus, but having the RIGHT people on your bus... sadly, you have pushed out a lot of the right people in efforts to choose the people who are bullies and are part of this boys club which has been developed with upper management and managers at property level; these are not the RIGHT people.

Decent Hourly Job

Room Service (Current Employee)

ProsMy position has a good amount of freedom to it. Much of the time is spent roaming the halls looking for dishes to pick up.

ConsThere is good deal of walking involved, so if you're not able to do that, this would not be a good job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice I have is to better communicate with the employees. It is not uncommon to receive different directions from two different managers, and figuring out which

Worked for Marcus Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marcus Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marcus Corporation CEO Gregory S. Marcus. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Marcus Corporation employees.