Marcus Corporation

Marcus Corporation CEO and Director Gregory S. Marcus

Gregory S. Marcus

Not a good work experience - Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA free cafeteria for employees was a nice perk.

Discounts for their other establishments was fantastic - dining, golf, ski, spa, hotel rooms, movies etc. Much appreciated.

Decent insurance benefits if you can keep your hours up - kinda pricey, but nice plans.

ConsVery little to no training in many departments - a "fake it till you make it attitude"

Major micromanagement. Titles given and made up to appease employees, however there was absolutely no authority with any title other than manager or director (can't hire, interview, fire, write up etc) - however leads, supervisors etc. expected to make things work with no authority to do so.

No communication to lower level employees in many departments.

Sub-par pay. All lower level employees at this resort are underpaid (non-managerial positions). If you don't receive gratuities here it is extremely hard to make a living. The local McDonalds pays more than many of the positions - yeah, but we did not want to work at McDonalds, that is why we applied and were hired here.

Upper management focuses on the budget only - cutting out the extras that make this place an upper level hotel. This leaves employees to attempt to give 4 diamond service with nothing to do it with. This resort is beautiful, but old and many areas look very old, worn, outdated and broken down. Different areas often run out of products or just do without. This is something which is noticed by customers and mostly lower level employees have to deal with customer grumbling on this subject.

Hours and staff cut regularly, however management expects a team of 3 to give excellent customer service when at a minimum there should be a team of 5 in place.

Lower level employees not respected and are not valued. The HR department has a "well thats too bad" attitude with no attempt to change things or help.

Rules are for only a select employees. Not enforced equally across the resort. This is a huge problem that many employees are fully aware of yet cannot do anything about.

Bad employees kept over good employees even when said bad employees are disrupting the work place and making a miserable work environment for everyone else who was doing their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time training staff to do whatever their particular job is to the best of their ability. Hold them to these standards and get rid of them if they don't. There are too many people who need work and will take their place.

Pay your employees according to honest industry standards - not the made up stuff that HR says is normal pay for a position. Their numbers are not accurate, by any stretch of the imagination.

Clean house. Get rid of employees who have multiple write ups for serious offenses. Listen to lower level employees and investigate what is really going on at this resort, in particular some of the people that multiple staff complain about. There has got to be a legitimate reason (that needs to be checked into) why 15 or more people are complaining about the same thing with the same person. Hire an outside service to do these things so that all of the "friends" and "lovers" in management won't continue to influence these decisions.

Spend some money to update the little things too and keep them updated in all of your buildings. Not just the main hotel. Many of the other out-buildings are worn out and look worn out. Your customers notice this.

Before you add on or build - talk to your lower level employees, especially the long term ones about what works and does not work in that department. THEY are your best resource, not some paid consultant. You have spent a lot of money in the past for things that make no sense and are of no use - if you had checked with lower level employees first you could have done something entirely different and had a more functional and useful space aka not wasted your money.

Don't give up on this resort. It is a beautiful place and the potential is grand.........but it is being neglected and it looks like it is.

Underpaid, Understaffed, and Overworked

Vendor (Current Employee)
La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation part-time for less than a year

ProsI have worked at Marcus for almost a year, and I just put my two weeks in. The staff I worked along side was the best. They seem to hire all of the best people, from high school to college aged students. It is a fun environment to work in, and there are some nice movie-seeing benefits. You + 1 guest get to a see a free movie every week, and dollar passes for every 12 hours worked. Lots of competitions to keep you motivated. I stayed with Marcus so long because of my great coworkers, the movie benefits, and also the flexible scheduling!

ConsThe upper management (general managers and corporate) don't care about their employees. They are only concerned with profit. There is no consistency, things are constantly changing and there never seems to be any order or good reasoning to their actions. If you win competitions, don't expect your prizes unless you pester the upper management about it. Expect your shifts to be cut, or to be sent home early. On Thanksgiving we were jipped of our time and a half because we were sent on 45 minute breaks so that they could cutback on payroll. If i'm sacrificing my Thanksgiving to work, I think I deserve the time and half. The entire time I have worked at Marcus, I have heard they are trying to cut back on payroll. Also, don't expect any raises or opportunities for advancement, unless the upper management randomly picks you as the lucky one to come into their circle. The corporation is always talking publicly about how much they value their employees and yet we are stuck getting minimum wage, while being overworked with no increase in wages for overtime, even though we work overtime. The worst part is that you can't come to them with complaints, problems, or ideas, because you will be shut down. Don't call the Marcus Crisis Line! ... They don't help! I have seen too much discrimination, corruptness, and lack of care for my fellow employees and myself. I don't know how Marcus gets away with all of this. (This is my experience from my particular theatre anyway)

Advice to Senior ManagementI had no problems with the direct assistant managers, but to the upper management: try caring a little more about your employees. You wouldn't be sitting on your high seat if it wasn't for all of us working base-level with the customers.

Former HQ Employee - over 10 years service

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIn my case smaller corporation presented many opportunities to learn and hone skills that eventually enabled me to find a job in a larger corporation with opportunity for advancement and much better pay and benefits.

ConsWorkplace rules are not enforced equally. Senior/Upper management does not value the average worker and comments are made about why does the company need to provide benefits to the average, lower paid employee despite public comments that "employees are our greatest asset"..

Advice to Senior ManagementYou wouldn't be where you are without ALL of your employees.

not an awesome place to work...upper management loses sight of what's actually important

I have been working at Marcus Corporation

Prosworldwide hotel discounts, meal discounts, some of the people (in non-management positions)

Conseveryone seems to be out for themselves...not a very team-oriented environment

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the managers who are micromanaging the properties into the ground

Overall good company. Rare advancement

Corporate Office (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmall family owned atmosphere. Great work/life balance

ConsHard to advance. No room for failure

Advice to Senior Managementreinvest in the entrepreneurial culture of company's early days.

It was a very pleasant experience, they really care for their employees.

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
Lake Geneva, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsI have not started to work for them yet, but I know people who worked for them for many years and they say nothing but good things about them.

ConsLike in any larger corporation; when you need to have a problem resolved by upper management, be proactive and don't delay, present the problem to be resolved as soon as it manifests itself.
Sometimes upper management is involved in too many important projects and your problem may
be delayed in order to give priority to other more important ones. If you can, give them a good week before remind them about the pending unresolved issues. Once resolved the problem, be gracious
and thank all the parties that were involved in the resolution of your problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to be expeditious, efficient and considerate with the employees I suggest the following course of action:
1.Label and date the problem to be resolved and give a realistic estimated time of resolution to the person(s) involved.
2.If deadline can not be fulfilled because you had being extinguishing to many unexpected last moment fires, call the parties involved and apologize for not being able to comply with the original deadline and set up a new deadline manifesting your real concern about the problem and assuring a prompt and satisfying resolution for all the parties involved . This time around, be sure to deliver what you promised or you will loose credibility and respect from your employees.

Dont care about employees

Help Desk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNot too crazy about the hours you are supposed to work

ConsEverything else. Managers dont care about your development. The don't really understand what the job requirements are.

Advice to Senior Managementupper management needs to replace most of middle management with people that actually knows what they are doing

Family company that moves very slowly

I worked at Marcus Corporation for more than 3 years

ProsPace of work is reasonable

ConsDecisions are not made quickly and require approval at higher levels than should be required

In general good place to work

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting variety of work, flexibility, hotel and theatre deals, good office location

Consnoncompetitive salaries, limited room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementStay competitive with the market - you attract good people but don't always keep them or keep them motivated because of this.

If your not getting tips or not in corporate then your being used

Server (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marcus Corporation part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe management more or less does not micromanage and has some good benefits. They do have a free cafeteria in most hotels which is really a great thing.

ConsThey don't pinch pennies but they do pinch nickels. They are very cheap and pay below average for most employees. They need to care more about their employees and try to help them in their career.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate is way to large for such a small company. Please remove unnecessary people and make it less top heavy and pay your average worker more.

Worked for Marcus Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marcus Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marcus Corporation CEO Gregory S. Marcus. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Marcus Corporation employees.