Marcus Corporation Reviews

29 reviews filtered by

1. Underpaid, Understaffed, and Overworked

Current Employee - Vendor in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Vendor in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Marcus for almost a year, and I just put my two weeks in. The staff I worked along side was the best. They seem to hire all of the best people, from high school to college aged students. It is a fun environment to work in, and there are some nice movie-seeing benefits. You + 1 guest get to a see a free movie every week, and dollar passes for every 12 hours worked. Lots of competitions to keep you motivated. I stayed with Marcus so long because of my great coworkers, the movie benefits, and also the flexible scheduling!

Cons

The upper management (general managers and corporate) don't care about their employees. They are only concerned with profit. There is no consistency, things are constantly changing and there never seems to be any order or good reasoning to their actions. If you win competitions, don't expect your prizes unless you pester the upper management about it. Expect your shifts to be cut, or to be sent home early. On Thanksgiving we were jipped of our time and a half because we were sent on 45 minute breaks so that they could cutback on payroll. If i'm sacrificing my Thanksgiving to work, I think I deserve the time and half. The entire time I have worked at Marcus, I have heard they are trying to cut back on payroll. Also, don't expect any raises or opportunities for advancement, unless the upper management randomly picks you as the lucky one to come into their circle. The corporation is always talking publicly about how much they value their employees and yet we are stuck getting minimum wage, while being overworked with no increase in wages for overtime, even though we work overtime. The worst part is that you can't come to them with complaints, problems, or ideas, because you will be shut down. Don't call the Marcus Crisis Line! ... They don't help! I have seen too much discrimination, corruptness, and lack of care for my fellow employees and myself. I don't know how Marcus gets away with all of this. (This is my experience from my particular theatre anyway)

Advice to Management

I had no problems with the direct assistant managers, but to the upper management: try caring a little more about your employees. You wouldn't be sitting on your high seat if it wasn't for all of us working base-level with the customers.

2. Former HQ Employee - over 10 years service

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In my case smaller corporation presented many opportunities to learn and hone skills that eventually enabled me to find a job in a larger corporation with opportunity for advancement and much better pay and benefits.

Cons

Workplace rules are not enforced equally. Senior/Upper management does not value the average worker and comments are made about why does the company need to provide benefits to the average, lower paid employee despite public comments that "employees are our greatest asset"..

Advice to Management

You wouldn't be where you are without ALL of your employees.

3. not an awesome place to work...upper management loses sight of what's actually important

I have been working at Marcus Corporation

Pros

worldwide hotel discounts, meal discounts, some of the people (in non-management positions)

Cons

everyone seems to be out for themselves...not a very team-oriented environment

Advice to Management

get rid of the managers who are micromanaging the properties into the ground

5. Overall good company. Rare advancement

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small family owned atmosphere. Great work/life balance

Cons

Hard to advance. No room for failure

Advice to Management

reinvest in the entrepreneurial culture of company's early days.

6. It was a very pleasant experience, they really care for their employees.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Lake Geneva, WI
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Lake Geneva, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have not started to work for them yet, but I know people who worked for them for many years and they say nothing but good things about them.

Cons

Like in any larger corporation; when you need to have a problem resolved by upper management, be proactive and don't delay, present the problem to be resolved as soon as it manifests itself.
    Sometimes upper management is involved in too many important projects and your problem may
    be delayed in order to give priority to other more important ones. If you can, give them a good week before remind them about the pending unresolved issues. Once resolved the problem, be gracious
    and thank all the parties that were involved in the resolution of your problem.

Advice to Management

In order to be expeditious, efficient and considerate with the employees I suggest the following course of action:
    1.Label and date the problem to be resolved and give a realistic estimated time of resolution to the person(s) involved.
    2.If deadline can not be fulfilled because you had being extinguishing to many unexpected last moment fires, call the parties involved and apologize for not being able to comply with the original deadline and set up a new deadline manifesting your real concern about the problem and assuring a prompt and satisfying resolution for all the parties involved . This time around, be sure to deliver what you promised or you will loose credibility and respect from your employees.

7. Dont care about employees

Current Employee - Help Desk in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Help Desk in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not too crazy about the hours you are supposed to work

Cons

Everything else. Managers dont care about your development. The don't really understand what the job requirements are.

Advice to Management

upper management needs to replace most of middle management with people that actually knows what they are doing

8. If your not getting tips or not in corporate then your being used

Current Employee - Server in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Server in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management more or less does not micromanage and has some good benefits. They do have a free cafeteria in most hotels which is really a great thing.

Cons

They don't pinch pennies but they do pinch nickels. They are very cheap and pay below average for most employees. They need to care more about their employees and try to help them in their career.

Advice to Management

Corporate is way to large for such a small company. Please remove unnecessary people and make it less top heavy and pay your average worker more.

9. Overall Positive

Current Employee - Bell Man in Lake Geneva, WI
    Current Employee - Bell Man in Lake Geneva, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation

Pros

High End Clienelle, good tips

Cons

Hours, pay was subpar at start

Advice to Management

Keep doing it

10. A great place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Berlin, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New Berlin, WI

I worked at Marcus Corporation

Pros

I enjoyed the atmosphere of this job more than anything. Great people and great management. Walking into a work that is very supportive is always a good feeling.

Cons

Well it's a movie theater so your going to work some late nights and clean up other people's mess but for the most part, the cons are included in the job descripiton so it's not anything you don't know ahead of time. Working holidays.

Advice to Management

Try to control the level of high school drama between managers and staff. Other than that, keep creating magical movie memories.

11. Overall good experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation

Pros

They really encourage a positive attitude in all employees and it seems like they actually want their employees to be happy.

Cons

They sometimes have an attitude of being superior to other places, which can make employees feel pressure to act that way too.

Advice to Management

Make sure that all employees feel that they can talk to their managers openly, rather than feel intimidated by them.