Marcus Evans Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
2.8

Marcus Evans Chairman Marcus Evans
Marcus Evans

Pros
  • It's a great place to start off and I would say the hours are well structured yet flexible (in 6 reviews)

• If you succeded, you could make a lot of money through commissions (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You knew the base salary was low when you seeked out the position (in 11 reviews)

• If you want to hate yourself every day while making minimum wage, please apply for this job (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Entrepreneur mindset is required.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) Unlimited income potential.
    2) Your own business, within a business.
    3) Everyone starts as a sales rep and has the opportunity to grow into management
    4) Global company
    5) Has been in business over 25 years
    6) Weekly training
    7) Teamwork is encouraged
    8) Employee Appreciation Days
    9) Satisfaction. Connecting C suite executives with solution providers.
    10) Everyone is given the same opportunity
    11) Location. NBC Tower. Enforces the quality of business.
    12) Long list of satisfied clients and their success stories from engaging in our summits
    13) Repeat business
    14) Employee benefits

Cons

1) Experienced sales executives, you have to be willing to let go of old habits.
         A) The hardest part is recognizing old habits.
         B) Consumer sales is different than B2B.

2) Young or unexperienced sales, you have to understand how sales works.
         A) We are blessed to have a base salary and benefits at Marcus Evans. Sales is commission/performance driven. I have worked in real estate and mortgage industry. 100% commission. Payed my own advertising, paid company $1,000 a month desk fee. And did not have any employee benefits.
         B) You get what you put into work. If you are willing to go the extra mile, sky is the limit.

3) The negative reviews from some employees.
         A) When a company is so large, it is to be expected.
         B) Nobody "steals" leads. I don't even see how this is possible, if it isn't your client. And company policy is very strict on calling someone client.
         C) Low Salary. It is sales, commission driven.
         D) Hours. Again sales. Hrs are 8 to 5. If you want to be successful, you have to be willing to do what it takes.
         E) Call Center / Boiler Room. Yes we make a lot of calls. We also do a lot of research. Trying to find the perfect solution providers to solve industry problems or changes. You make money when on the phone.
         F) Lying and deceit. I have never lied nor been requested or taught to. Marcus Evans is an industry leader in business intelligence and events. We help solve delegates problems and help solution providers grow their business. I am proud of that. Those that are not, should not be here.

Again, keep doing what you are doing! Summits is building a strong team. I personally appreciate what you are doing to help each of us grow our business.

If you have low morals and like talking to operators- please apply.

Former Employee - Account Executive Summits  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive Summits in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's in NBC Tower?
    I will ask way more questions in future interviews.

Cons

Only form of sales communication is cold calling CEOs. Not VPs or Directors- ONLY CEOs.
    You must lie and manipulate Executive assistants and automated dialing systems to get through to a CEO.
    Once you lie enough to get a CEO on the phone, you must be rude and unprofessional to him or her by talking over them and product dumping meaningless, outdated information.
    You further need to get that CEO to make a $30-$60k commitment within 24 hours of receiving your call unless they hang up on you before you can even discuss the price.
    There are no skills involved in this job. It is pure manipulation and reading from a script.
    They say they are a "global business intelligence company" yet no one has computers at their desk and are not allowed to professionally communicate to prospective clients via technology.
    The limited computers that are available are terrible and leads to inefficient "research."
    Open- loud and obnoxious sales floor. Talking to a CEO while people are swearing in the background really helps seal the deal.
    Management talks a lot about fearing rejection. There is a difference between fearing it and accepting it because of the poor business conduct that you are forced to participate in.

When a prospective hire tells you that they are good at sales because they are a trusted, respected relationship builder- you probably shouldn't hire him or her. Those are rooted qualities and cannot be "thrown away" during training aka brainwashing sessions. It's 2014- no one answers their phones. Especially from an UNKOWN caller. No one likes to talk on the phone. Interrupting an Executive's day and rudely forcing them to listen to you unannounced is not an acceptable business practice to 99% of society. Your turnover is high because of your business model and restricted, unethical sales tactics. If the product is so amazing and has a proven ROI for clients- you shouldn't have to force people to sell it the way that you do.

Very little ROI for the clients that invested

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great bunch of people, it's unfortunate I couldn't retain my clients.

Cons

Very little success for vendors participating in face to face meetings

Lower the cost and reduce the profits to the multi-millionaire Mr. Evans.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learning experience for new sales staff

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good sales training, 1 months entrance course
    Young team leaders who are relatable
    Excellent team building strategies
    Good base plus commission
    Hire college grads
    Meet quota can move to a team leader position
    International company

Cons

Management very distant
    Not everyone can go to events
    Non stop cold calling
    Open sales floor

You can make it work

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn as much as you'd like. You can can a great boss. Opportunity to travel. Diverse office.

Cons

Company is disconnect from themselves. Everyone is in it for themselves. Poor pay

Nightmarish

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gain a really solid understanding of the sales process, how to be creative with prospecting, and learning to deal with rejection (or not!)

Cons

Cold-calling for a minimum of two hours a day. Lot's of micromanagement -- your call time is tracked and posted on a cork board.

We lie to clients to make sales -- CEO of NY office encouraged us to use various aliases for Marcus Evans during pitches (e.g. "ME Events Group") because of the company's poor reputation. You will get hung up on a lot.

Very unprofessional environment. HR does not respect confidentiality and will not keep complaints private.

Turnover rate is extremely high. Relationship building and friendships with management are key if you don't want to be fired. Less popular employees will be fired without notice while others will be given a few days notice to choose whether they prefer termination or to resign of their own accord.

Management says shocking things about clients behind their backs. They make sophomoric comments and take rejection from prospects very poorly.

It is very hard to make a sale. You will barely be able to afford rent while you work here. If you make no sales you will earn approximately $18000 a year. If you make three sales (which is very difficult), for example, you could make up to $35,000. You will be cheated out of your commission. Always check your pay stubs.

This organization is unsalvageable.

Run!

I worked at Marcus Evans

Pros

Its a great job if you lack any moral conscience.

Cons

Employment should not have to be sold or brainwashed.

Horrible Company To Work For, Period.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good way to learn the rope of sales.

Cons

You may give your self a heart attack

Fancy building to match the fancy egos

Former Employee - Conference Producer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Close to home, Ability to lean things by fire i never would have

Cons

By fire... they take young people and make them try to grasp things that are way oh their present scope

Pay your employees what they are worth

My experience here was challenging and toxic, but without it, I wouldn't be where I am today. Glad it's over though!

Former Employee - Sales and Production  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales and Production in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Will have success if hard working AND good at sales. If one or both is lacking, you will not make money here. For every one person or manager that loves it, there are 40 who despise the company.

Cons

Toxic work environment, low moral compass. Lying is encouraged and rewarded. For every one person or manager that loves it, there are 40 who despise the company.

My advice to management is to please have the courage to go get a new job. It's better elsewhere and you deserve better, and can be better.

Worked for Marcus Evans? Contribute to the Community!