Marcus Evans Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.8

Marcus Evans Chairman Marcus Evans
Marcus Evans

Pros
  • It's a great place to start off and I would say the hours are well structured yet flexible (in 6 reviews)

• If you succeded, you could make a lot of money through commissions (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You knew the base salary was low when you seeked out the position (in 11 reviews)

• If you want to hate yourself every day while making minimum wage, please apply for this job (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Entrepreneur mindset is required.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) Unlimited income potential.
    2) Your own business, within a business.
    3) Everyone starts as a sales rep and has the opportunity to grow into management
    4) Global company
    5) Has been in business over 25 years
    6) Weekly training
    7) Teamwork is encouraged
    8) Employee Appreciation Days
    9) Satisfaction. Connecting C suite executives with solution providers.
    10) Everyone is given the same opportunity
    11) Location. NBC Tower. Enforces the quality of business.
    12) Long list of satisfied clients and their success stories from engaging in our summits
    13) Repeat business
    14) Employee benefits

Cons

1) Experienced sales executives, you have to be willing to let go of old habits.
         A) The hardest part is recognizing old habits.
         B) Consumer sales is different than B2B.

2) Young or unexperienced sales, you have to understand how sales works.
         A) We are blessed to have a base salary and benefits at Marcus Evans. Sales is commission/performance driven. I have worked in real estate and mortgage industry. 100% commission. Payed my own advertising, paid company $1,000 a month desk fee. And did not have any employee benefits.
         B) You get what you put into work. If you are willing to go the extra mile, sky is the limit.

3) The negative reviews from some employees.
         A) When a company is so large, it is to be expected.
         B) Nobody "steals" leads. I don't even see how this is possible, if it isn't your client. And company policy is very strict on calling someone client.
         C) Low Salary. It is sales, commission driven.
         D) Hours. Again sales. Hrs are 8 to 5. If you want to be successful, you have to be willing to do what it takes.
         E) Call Center / Boiler Room. Yes we make a lot of calls. We also do a lot of research. Trying to find the perfect solution providers to solve industry problems or changes. You make money when on the phone.
         F) Lying and deceit. I have never lied nor been requested or taught to. Marcus Evans is an industry leader in business intelligence and events. We help solve delegates problems and help solution providers grow their business. I am proud of that. Those that are not, should not be here.

Again, keep doing what you are doing! Summits is building a strong team. I personally appreciate what you are doing to help each of us grow our business.

You can make it work

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn as much as you'd like. You can can a great boss. Opportunity to travel. Diverse office.

Cons

Company is disconnect from themselves. Everyone is in it for themselves. Poor pay

Learning experience for new sales staff

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good sales training, 1 months entrance course
    Young team leaders who are relatable
    Excellent team building strategies
    Good base plus commission
    Hire college grads
    Meet quota can move to a team leader position
    International company

Cons

Management very distant
    Not everyone can go to events
    Non stop cold calling
    Open sales floor

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Company To Work For, Period.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good way to learn the rope of sales.

Cons

You may give your self a heart attack

Only work there if you have to....

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Constant feedback, training, coaching and development. If you want the help it is always there. The office environment is young and most of the sales executives are pretty friendly. Also the job is easily accessible by public transportation and conveniently located in NBC Tower, which is a definite plus.

Cons

VERY condescending environment, managers steal leads and then harass you for not making sales. Most of management has absolutely no other management training or professional experience which is evident from day one. They yell at you during the first interview so get ready. Management also admitted to making fun of sales reps by sending cell phone pictures of you around to their friends outside of work, so if you see them snickering looking at their phones and laughing, you know why. Professionalism and common courtesy are non-existent here.

Get over yourselves.... treat people how you want to be treated and don't be downright mean because you feel that you can.

Fancy building to match the fancy egos

Former Employee - Conference Producer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Close to home, Ability to lean things by fire i never would have

Cons

By fire... they take young people and make them try to grasp things that are way oh their present scope

Pay your employees what they are worth

My experience here was challenging and toxic, but without it, I wouldn't be where I am today. Glad it's over though!

Former Employee - Sales and Production  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales and Production in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Will have success if hard working AND good at sales. If one or both is lacking, you will not make money here. For every one person or manager that loves it, there are 40 who despise the company.

Cons

Toxic work environment, low moral compass. Lying is encouraged and rewarded. For every one person or manager that loves it, there are 40 who despise the company.

My advice to management is to please have the courage to go get a new job. It's better elsewhere and you deserve better, and can be better.

management forces employees to write positive reviews on here

Current Employee - Conference Producer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They will hire you.
    You get to work with young people.

Cons

Where do I start?
    Management has little to no education or training which leads to emotion and hierarchy to dictate the way they do business.
    This is an extremely unethical company with shady sales and financial tactics.
    Nobody has ever seen or met the owner, Marcus Evans, except for the Chicago office manager.
    You have to work with young, inexperienced and unprofessional individuals.
    Gossip is rampant.
    I have personally witnessed a manager "select an individual to write a positive review on glassdoor to streamline their employee retention initiative". There is no employee retention initiatives besides that.
    Just because you may be in consideration for a non-sales position, doesn't mean that you will be exempt from all the negative things this place has to offer.

Quit. You don't deserve the pressure you're being put under and you make people's lives miserable. As long as Marcus is the owner and CEO, it wil not get better and employees will keep quitting on you.

Hardcore Sales Experience

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time

Pros

Developed a great deal of knowledge and cold calling skills. These Cold Calling Skills have been beneficial in many other career paths.

Cons

Boiler Room Mentality. Very much a sink or swim environment. Glorified Call Center.

Update your environment. Treat all the employees equally. Give your salesmen the proper tools like a computer to use like a normal company environment.

Three stars because you can't help but grow here.

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time

Pros

Lots to be learned in this job, if you adopt the right mindset, you will leave here with valuable knowledge and wisdom about business strategies, getting along in a toxic work environment, and how to get people on the phone and spending money. You will learn a lot about different industry business challenges, and there is a handful of people there that love it so much that they will be there for life.

Cons

I would say their high performer turnover rate is high-about 50% or higher. There is a small handful of 'lifers', most of those who stay for a long time lack a moral compass, which is a large part why all the others leave. Good companies have 5% turnover of high performers. The heavy competition that exists between divisions that should be working together to propel the business forward means lies, shaming, throwing people under the bus, and in general a lot of distrust, quick tempers and frustration in middle and upper management. It trickles down here and there to the bottom level employees, depending on the day, and that is why there is a high turnover rate at the bottom as well.

Showing your bottom rung employees that you care about what happens to them would go a long way in instilling loyalty. Adopting procedures that minimize favoritism would ensure that you don't cause undue rancor or superiority, both of which are not conducive to a successful work environment. Also, commission-based management is never a good idea. Greediness will always win over proper management technique.

Worked for Marcus Evans? Contribute to the Community!