Marcus Evans Reviews

Reset
3.2
Marcus Evans Chairman Marcus Evans
Marcus Evans

Pros
  • They have an entire floor of NBC Tower (in 11 reviews)

• It was a great place to start my career path (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low base salary but if you work hard and follow program you will do very well (in 16 reviews)

• 450 a month to make the minimum wage, they will deduct this from your commission if you make any (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I've been working at Marcus Evans for just over three years now and couldn't be happier.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is so likeminded and never struggle offering a healing hand. I'd suggest this opportunity to anyone looking for a fulfilling and challenging experience.

Cons

Not all days are sunshine and roses, but no job is.

Advice to Management

Over all it's a great company!

2. You can make it what you want

I have been working at Marcus Evans

Pros

- 8-5
    - Fun people
    - Travel
    - Meeting high level executives
    - You can make this job whatever you would like... (as long as you close business)
    - Learn a lot
    - You can make a ton of money
    - The sales process works (if you stick with the process)
    - You can move up
    - They have over 63 offices around the world, so if you are good you can work in any of the offices
    - It is a work hard play hard kind of place

Cons

- If you don't close deals you will not last here
    - Everything is about getting deals
    - Managers won't start caring until you close deals (they make % of deals closed by the people on their team.
    - Sales people don't get a computer until they prove themselves (this is good and bad)
    - Starting pay is usually $30K
    - It usually takes 6mo before you close a deal
    - Lots of pressure
    - Sales is 100% on the phone

Advice to Management

- Update the website
    - Get a CRM system for everyone to use
    - Up the base salaries so people can afford to stay there long enough to close a deal

3. Highs and Lows

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, willing to help you if you seek it out, the "strict" sales targets can be over looked if management feels you are making progress in terms of written warnings being carried over

Cons

High turn over rate, very easy to get lost in shuffle - due to high turn over more senior members on the floor tend to ignore you until you've stuck around for awhile making it hard to form solid mentorship relationships.

Put yourself out there and try and form these bonds early on because it immediately effects how much help you receive.

Advice to Management

Actually follow up when you say you are going to hold trainings, etc. High standard/target without any follow up on continued trainings makes for a disheartening work atmosphere when targets are not being met across the board.

5. Great Company, Great People

Current Employee - Summit Division- Solution Providers in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uncapped commission, great training, fantastic company culture and facilitation of first class events and services for their clients.

I still have my first client from starting here two years ago who continues to utilize our Summits model and gains a great deal of business from it and refers us to their clients continuously, such is the value she receives from the untouchable service Marcus Evans offers.

Boo hoo we don't have a computer on our desks, who cares? I'm here to make money and not sit on facebook all day watching the world and my friends pass me by!

Cons

The only downside is their hiring process as they pretty much let anyone through the door who then, when they don't succeed, come on here and trash the company and the successful employees for their failures.

Advice to Management

Stick to a more stringent hiring process and only employ true sales people who take care of their clients and don't concern themselves with petty details.

6. Always Hiring for a Reason

Former Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am not so jaded by my dismissal that I can’t see the positive attributes of this experience, which for me were the amazing co-workers, who I can truly call friends. They motivated me to come in everyday, and for that I am grateful.

Cons

Assuming that a company works within a tiered system where #1 would be a VP and #2 would be a director, my review is as follows...

I worked for Marcus Evans for three months, in which I learned valuable lessons on how to qualify employers more critically before simply accepting a position. After spending 3 months learning how to turn cold calls into research for business strategy conferences my employment was ended with no solidified explanation. Due to the contract that you sign prior to accepting a position with the company, they do not have to disclose a reason for ending your employment; thus leaving an entire event that you spent months working on, to be commissioned by someone else within the production team. Furthermore, if you’re lucky enough to find yourself in my shoes, they have you work a full day, long enough to leverage and still get paid for a conference that you constructed.

Considering the initial stages of the production cycle is a series of calling random leads from various companies, and getting hung up on, there is still an expectation that employees generate a draft agenda from a pile of lead generation, that embodies no viable material. Despite this detail, I entered work with a positive attitude, and willingness to stay late finishing whatever needed to be submitted to meet my deadlines. Yet, as I sat across from both #2, and #1 <(who rarely interacts with the associate producers), I was provided a letter alluding that the reason for my termination was my “business performance.” When questioning #2, who I had been working under for the last 3 months, she provided no examples of my performance, but justified this explanation by saying based on things she's seen with past Marcus Evans employees, she didn’t see where I would add value.

What was disheartening about this moment, is that instead of giving me constructive criticism, the person who once encouraged me and applauded the small accolades I made within my role, was the same person discrediting my worth. At least once a week you see the directors holding phone interviews to fill open positions within the production team, and I find it troubling that as a company they are more willing to hire someone new, then to move forward with someone who has proven their willingness to work and produce a successful event.

My honest opinion is that this isn’t a job that you will go home everyday enthusiastic to speak about, however it is a character builder. Sometimes we get so caught up in filling a position, that we forget all the positive attributes we bring to the table, for a paycheck. Be sure to always read the small print, and to never question your value based on a 25-day deadline.

Advice to Management

The time to care about the thoughts of your employees is not after they've posted a review.

7. A good company with advancement opportunities

I worked at Marcus Evans

Pros

My team and team leader were great to work with. They were helpful at offering suggestions in getting decisions/deals.

Cons

While those who conduct the training session are very knowledgeable, the training session could be a bit more hands on.

Stepping stone to nowhere

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good office location
    -Decent work life balance

Cons

-Cold calls all day (200 calls minimum)
    -Laughable lack of resources and benefits (4 computers for 30+ salesmen)
    -Borderline unethical sales practices (lying about conference capacity, speaker credentials and other things to rush people into going)
    -Salesmen are very openly treated as the replaceable resources they are

I could go on, but I think the point is pretty clear

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, quit bullying people into buying your products, try building relationships with potential clients and you may actually get return buyers instead of justifiably upset people who feel they were scammed

Beware

I worked at Marcus Evans

Pros

Sales position is low responsibility for knowledge

Cons

Compensation is far below what can be earned elsewhere

Advice to Management

nothing to recommend for them, they also have low/no real responsibility in traditional sense

Forced labor...

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

...located in a cool building (NBC Tower) in the heart of the city with "normal" people outside of the company's Dumbots who are drunk on the ME Kool-Aid.

Cons

Destructive to one's self-esteem, cataclysmic to one's resume!

Advice to Management

Dissolve...

STAY FAR AWAY

Former Employee - Trainee Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trainee Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

potential for big paychecks
    some managers truly care about your success

Cons

For all the people saying this is a great way to enter the sales world and learn sales, it isn't! There are much better companies out there that are actually willing to teach you and care about your success! STAY AWAY!
    low base pay
    making a sale is rare (I was in the office for a month and only 2 people made a sale)
    high turnover rate (Of the 10 people that started in the past 2 months, only 3 are left)
    Management only answers the questions they want to answer. They will dodge questions or just flat out ignore questions or lie if they must

Advice to Management

Try being honest for a change. I heard 1 story during the interview process, another one during training, and a third when I actually started working.

RSS Feed </> Embed