Marcus Evans Reviews

287 reviews filtered by
3.2
Marcus Evans Chairman Marcus Evans
Marcus Evans

Pros
  • It's downtown in the NBC Tower so you can really people watch (in 11 reviews)

• It's a great place to start off and I would say the hours are well structured yet flexible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any sales job, the base salary is nothing to write home about (in 16 reviews)

• Stealing your commission, leaving you to struggle on minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

1. Senior Account Executive

I worked at Marcus Evans

Pros

Great training and working environment, also great earning potential.

Cons

Depending on what office you are located in the training isn't well, the base salary is very low.

2. Senior Sales Associate

I have been working at Marcus Evans

Pros

Potential to make over $50,000

Cons

Money you make is dependant on programs you are assigned to

3. I've been working at Marcus Evans for just over three years now and couldn't be happier.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is so likeminded and never struggle offering a healing hand. I'd suggest this opportunity to anyone looking for a fulfilling and challenging experience.

Cons

Not all days are sunshine and roses, but no job is.

Over all it's a great company!

THG Sports Division of Marcus Evans
    "Hi___, I am calling because there was a deposit released and paid in place!"-LIES

Current Employee - Salesperson, THG in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Salesperson, THG in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not one pro. Now I'm not some jaded employee, I have had successes here, but this place is an absolute Boiler Room joke. Havent seen the movie? Let me put things into perspective for you. They teach you scare and lying tactics to get through to the decision maker, who you have 10 seconds to pitch with nothing but LIES, before you get hung up on. I am not kidding, they teach you to bully secretaries and lie to them about things that could be life changing. Just to get through to the CEO of these big name organizations which never happens. They also use the exact same lie on every call they make. Which is horrifyingly embarrassing when you get called out on it by CEOS who have heard it before. How there hasnt been a lawsuit for harassment yet is a mystery to me. The pay is awful, and i mean awful awful. I did the math. People who are on unemployment benefits make 35% more money then I will in a year here. To put things into perspective- you'll go home with an $1100 paycheck once a month. Which is paid out the 5TH working day of every month!!!! If you have bills to pay that are due at the beginning / end of the month- good luck! You wont be paying them on time. This place is the definition of living paycheck to paycheck. Ive gone into more debt at this company than I wouldve if i decided to stay unemployed. I promise you that is not a fabrication. This company is so antiquated in their ways they wont even pay you in direct deposit! Its a paper check!!! Unbelievable that a company in the 21st century cant seem to get this figured out.

Cons

-$1100 a month. Paper check!, they wont do direct deposit
    -Lies on top of lies. They teach you to lie to every single person you encounter on the phone. With the same story!
    -They teach you bullying/scare tactics to get through to people
    -250 cold calls a day. Minimum.
    -No benefits
    -Sexual harassment all day every day in the office. For males AND females.
    -Young 20's managers on power trips
    -Stealing and lying
    -They will fire you for no reason at the blink of an eye. Watch your back!!!
    -No computer systems! Paper piles all over the place!!!! You get nothing but a paper divider and directions put on your desk when you start
    -No sales management systems
    -You arent even allowed to have your cell phone out. They treat you like dogs here.

-Stop teaching lying and scare tactics to get through people on the phone
    -Be more honest about the system and the job
    -Stop making broken promises (dont set goals for my team and I, and then pull the prizef away once we hit that goal. how does that make sense?!?!)
    -Dont steal your teammates deals.

Lies on top of more Lies

Former Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Conference Producer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people, but the company cant keep anyone around for longer than 6 months

Cons

This place is a joke, they lie to you in the interview about what you will actually be doing. there is no training. and when you start to fail they don't try to help you they cancel your event and give you another one. start at 30,000 no negotiating, which is not nearly enough for all the project managing you do- you are in charge of sponsorship team, sales team, marketing team, and operations team (which are usually in canada and barbados for the tax break, SHADY) the teams never communicate with each other and sales steals deals from everyone so they can make more money. all of my speakers for my events were harassed by them and I was the one who got yelled at for it. This place is so unprofessional.

The CEO is never in Chicago, and when he is, the floor won't see him. care about your employees, a thank you can go a loooooong way.

Boiler Room, Iron Fist, Horrible Atmosphere, Most UNPROFESSIONAL place I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans

Pros

NBC Tower. Professional dress. The PROS stop upon entering the Marcus Evans door.

Cons

If you are truly a professional sales agent, this will NEVER be a good fit. Ethics and moral are low. You have ZERO ability to be professional and treat clients with respect. Basically Marcus Evans Sucks. It goes like this: Open, Use written pitch, overcome objections, close, deal with rejection, find another target/victim. A PROFESSIONAL is different in every aspect: Extremely different from Marcus Evans, not about you/all about the prospect, centered on solving clients problems, position yourself as a solution, establishes yourself as a professional partner.

When we are expected to make 120 dials a day or 30,480 calls a year AND you state closing SIX deals a year is good, TWELVE is a top performer.... Don't you see something wrong with that picture. Your technique is old, unprofessional, call center and unproductive. Oh and STOP STEALING deals behind your sales associates backs. Maybe you could at least keep inexperienced people, who think they are big shots, playing dress up and walking into the NBC Tower. And believe all your LIES about trips, Rolex, blah blah blah

Eye opening

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Sweden, ME
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Sweden, ME

I have been working at Marcus Evans

Pros

Good place to start when you have nothing to do.

Cons

Bad salary and bad management

Increase salary and hon managerial skills.

Horrible. Throw you to the wolves.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans

Pros

Regular office hours holiday paid

Cons

Uppity people. Poor management attentiveness.

Get off your butt

10. It's a positive experience

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked on a wide range of conferences and summits throughout my career

Cons

The client/center agreement is not aligned too many miscommunications

Lots of moving parts, and not enough resources to address them

11. Best sales training one could ask for.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Regimented environment that allows the sales people who are there to perform the opportunity to do so.

Cons

If you aren't a good salesperson you won't make a lot of money.

Keep up the great ongoing training