www.marcusevans.com

Updated January 29, 2015
3.2

Marcus Evans Chairman Marcus Evans
Marcus Evans

Pros
  • It's downtown in the NBC Tower so you can really people watch (in 11 reviews)

• It's a great place to start off and I would say the hours are well structured yet flexible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any sales job, the base salary is nothing to write home about (in 16 reviews)

• Stealing your commission, leaving you to struggle on minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a positive experience

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked on a wide range of conferences and summits throughout my career

Cons

The client/center agreement is not aligned too many miscommunications

Lots of moving parts, and not enough resources to address them

Best sales training one could ask for.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Regimented environment that allows the sales people who are there to perform the opportunity to do so.

Cons

If you aren't a good salesperson you won't make a lot of money.

Keep up the great ongoing training

I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice view of the Chicago River!!!

Cons

This is a scam job! Glorified pyramid scheme.... Can't use this experience on your resume'. Try explaining to someone interviewing you for a great job that you're one of the jerks from ME that harrasses them on a daily basis... Just let that sink in for a bit. Instead of harassing Fortune 500 companies all day to attend crappy, over-priced conferences, why not get a job in sales at a Fortune 500 company? Get yourself a real stepping stone into s career.

Learn some management skills.

I'm a conference producer at Marcus Evans

Current Employee - Conference Producer - South America in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Conference Producer - South America in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company has been in business for a long time they're a very large but agile, open for suggestions and keeping an eye on market trends. I'm proud to produce such high-end events.

Cons

Sometimes the work load can be over powering, but the end result is more than worth it.

Try and see things through

Good company!

Current Employee - IT Support in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Support in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'm working for Marcus Evans and it’s a very good place

Cons

Inflexible office hours and no overtime

Keep up the good team spirit.

You'll be appalled by this company.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learn sales the hard way.
    This company does not have enough positives for a 20-word minimum.

Cons

Boiler Room environment.
    Terrible product in therms of quality.
    Lying is regular and encouraged.
    A company with nothing but salesmen. As in it's a very sexist environment.
    90% of the successful employees here would be fired at Fortune 500 companies.
    No CRM; heck, no technology whatsoever.
    No other skills than cold calling would be gained.

Management's conduct is appalling. If NBCUniversal knew what they were doing in their building, they would terminate their lease and kick them out for their detrimental business model and conduct.

Whatever you do, make sure this company is never near your CV, resume and work experience.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (less than a year)

Pros

none; this is a dismal, high-pressure sales environment that does not encourage a true learning curve; you're essentially a used car salesman, using less than an honest approach in your pitch to prospects.

Cons

unethical sales methods; the sales pitch is totally canned...scripted; mediocre training that is much too rapid; it's essentially a cram course, designed to get you on the phones quick; very low salary; benefits don't kick in for six months (if that matters to you); high pressure, boiler room environment.

Develop some sales ethnics, and lengthen the training program, instead of making it a high-pressure cram course; increase the base salary.

Great opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive- Summits in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive- Summits in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Marcus Evans has helped me build a strong sales foundation and mentality that I will have with me for life no matter if I stay with the company for five more years or for my entire career. I have been with the company for three years now and can say that with no previous experience in sales, the road to success at ME was by no stretch of the imagination easy.

This role is challenging in many different ways but for those who work hard and give it their all, the end result is very rewarding. Marcus Evans employees are trained to implement a challenger sales approach which is really designed to learn how to weed out the non-buyers and only spend time on the real buyers. This is a skill that can easily transition into any other sales role and is often recognized by the companies we reach out to. There have been countless times over the last three years where I have been offered a job in the middle of a sales pitch from the President of a company who is impressed by the way I can get them engaged and to talk about their business with me.

It took me five months to get my first deal, which is longer than it takes most people. During these five months, I continued to receive encouragement and support from my direct manager who really made me believe that I would be successful—which is ultimately why I stayed. I received training on a weekly basis and had to invest a frustrating amount of time on the weekends and before and after work to make sure that I was doing all that I could possibly do to experience success. My successful colleagues would tell me that it would eventually “click” and finally after five months of really hard work, I got my first deal and am happy to say that this company is still my client three years later.

Once you nail the process and truly understand the reasoning, sales begin to come consistently and that is when the opportunities within Marcus Evans really start to present themselves. Traveling to other offices around world, trip incentives, opportunities to launch brands of your own or build your own office within the Marcus Evans brand are all very possible and even encouraged by company if you have what it takes.

Cons

The base salary is definitely not something to write home about but the commission is amazing and if you are successful you can do VERY well for yourself even if you are young in your career. I want to stress that this job is not for everyone and that all of these amazing opportunities will not come to fruition if someone is not performing. Getting CEOs and Presidents on the phone is really really really tough and the job would literally be miserable if I was not good at doing so. If you are not competitive by nature or comfortable challenging people (professionally) to get what you want, than this job is not cut out for you.

Invest more in the technology aspect. I understand the computers on desks can cause major distraction and lower productivity, but the computers that are Available should be fast working to make time spent on them more efficient. This would lower frustration for a lot of people and increase a positive work culture.

It all depends on a persons attitude

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Opportunity to travel around the world
    -Most people are wonderful to work with (some bad eggs)
    -Great place to learn a lot about different industries
    -Learn to work with many different kinds of people
    -You can thrive or sink here
    -Learn to really sell (you are not selling selling clothing at Macy's, so don't expect it to be something you learn overnight)
    -Getting to meet high level executives is never a bad thing
    -The Summit brand is the best division to work in- But if you work hard in conferences there is room to grow

Cons

-People are in it for themselves (pro or con)
    -They won't put a lot of money/training into a person until they show they are worth it
    -Starting pay is low (but if you are good in sales you can make real money)
    -This is not a happy go lucky place (Marcus Evans is a British company that means business)
    -If you are applying for a sales role know it's on the phone
    -People who don't last here are for three reasons: 1. They don't like working on the phone 2. They don't understand the process (which works) 3. They give up

Update the website

Very interesting projects

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Offers great salary and benefits to its employees

Cons

Not the most professional work environment

Discussing an employee's mistakes with them privately via email would make them more comfortable coming to for help.