Marcus Evans

Marcus Evans Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Marcus Evans Chairman Marcus Evans

Marcus Evans

Pros:
  • "It's a great place to start off and I would say the hours are well structured yet flexible"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Opportunity to make a lot of money if given an event that has previously sold well"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "ridiculous low base salary and high commission result in unethical behaviours just to 'make the sale'"
    in 11 reviews
  • "If you want to hate yourself every day while making minimum wage, please apply for this job"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fancy building to match the fancy egos

Conference Producer (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsClose to home, Ability to lean things by fire i never would have

ConsBy fire... they take young people and make them try to grasp things that are way oh their present scope

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth

Only work there if you have to....

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsConstant feedback, training, coaching and development. If you want the help it is always there. The office environment is young and most of the sales executives are pretty friendly. Also the job is easily accessible by public transportation and conveniently located in NBC Tower, which is a definite plus.

ConsVERY condescending environment, managers steal leads and then harass you for not making sales. Most of management has absolutely no other management training or professional experience which is evident from day one. They yell at you during the first interview so get ready. Management also admitted to making fun of sales reps by sending cell phone pictures of you around to their friends outside of work, so if you see them snickering looking at their phones and laughing, you know why. Professionalism and common courtesy are non-existent here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves.... treat people how you want to be treated and don't be downright mean because you feel that you can.

Hardcore Sales Experience

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsDeveloped a great deal of knowledge and cold calling skills. These Cold Calling Skills have been beneficial in many other career paths.

ConsBoiler Room Mentality. Very much a sink or swim environment. Glorified Call Center.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your environment. Treat all the employees equally. Give your salesmen the proper tools like a computer to use like a normal company environment.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marcus Evans has given me an opportunity to make an unlimited amount of money and career advancement. +

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe location is extremely convenient. Leadership gives me the tools to succeed, and consistently provides me with encouragement. With a job that can be stressful, my management team is always seeking out incentives to reduce stress and provide a fun yet productive workplace.

ConsOnce a month pay period can be challenging. It would be great to have a bi-monthly pay period.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide constant training. Also consider going to a bi-monthly pay period. I would like to see a more formal management training program for the Team Lead position. I believe it would make the transition to management more seamless.

Three stars because you can't help but grow here.

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLots to be learned in this job, if you adopt the right mindset, you will leave here with valuable knowledge and wisdom about business strategies, getting along in a toxic work environment, and how to get people on the phone and spending money. You will learn a lot about different industry business challenges, and there is a handful of people there that love it so much that they will be there for life.

ConsI would say their high performer turnover rate is high-about 50% or higher. There is a small handful of 'lifers', most of those who stay for a long time lack a moral compass, which is a large part why all the others leave. Good companies have 5% turnover of high performers. The heavy competition that exists between divisions that should be working together to propel the business forward means lies, shaming, throwing people under the bus, and in general a lot of distrust, quick tempers and frustration in middle and upper management. It trickles down here and there to the bottom level employees, depending on the day, and that is why there is a high turnover rate at the bottom as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementShowing your bottom rung employees that you care about what happens to them would go a long way in instilling loyalty. Adopting procedures that minimize favoritism would ensure that you don't cause undue rancor or superiority, both of which are not conducive to a successful work environment. Also, commission-based management is never a good idea. Greediness will always win over proper management technique.

High pressure sales, good experience

Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood entry level sales position, learned a lot of sales techniques. Met a lot of great people, would make a good job right out of college. Fun travel and the events they put on are great.

ConsLots of phone calls. If you have trouble making phone calls, this is not for you. Somewhat of a boiler room environment. Training is minimal, sort of a sink or swim mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training in the beginning, care more about your employees.

Unethical and immoral place of employment. RUN!

Sales Executive Summits (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe only positive about me is the location. It is in the NBC Tower. The written policies and commission structures/advancements are great. But that is not reality.

ConsBoiler Room. You are trained and they expect unethical behavior. The scripts themselves are written to deceive and pressure possible clients. You state you are with a different company, that you represent a large group, make up an important title for yourself, state a client had something come up and there is only one opening, also lie and act like you have someone else interested. On top of that, the summit itself is often a flop. There are piles of lawsuits.

You have to work outside of the office to research and find your own leads. Only for your manager to steal them. She will go through your papers, your email, your pipeline and your recorded phone calls, to line her own pockets. This is allowed to go on. And she still doesn't close. I cannot state why on this site... I'm sure you can figure why it is allowed to happen ; )

Turn over rate is high. During interview process they will blame past employees. I fell for it. But one has to ask self, if a place is ALWAYS HIRING, why? Is it really all the past employees? Or is there something wrong with the employer?

Low pay compared to other companies. Lower salary and lower commissions. You cannot close your own deals in the beginning. And management will put you off. They compete with sales team. So of course, they will close their own first, then their "partners". If you're lucky, they will close yours vs steal it.

me appears to be a great company. If you find the right office. Anything can be written or stated, reality is a different ball game.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are a disgrace in so many ways. Gain some morals and ethics. Stop competing against employees. You'd create a better atmosphere, build a strong sales force and make more money in the long run. Get rid of the insecure, backstabbing summit manager.

Stay away!

Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsInteresting work and deceit training.

ConsWhiners in the Finance Dept. Miserable people that try to make everyone else miserable. Just 2 of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with the whiners and stop being afraid of confrontation!

Take a job here only if you're starving

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- I can't think of any

Cons- Just a depressing place all around, turnover is unbelievably high.
    - Compensation is a vague promise of a bonus - most conferences will not make a lot of money for any of the teams involved
    - Forced to take lunch at a certain time and attendance is taken as though this was grade school

Great Business Model, Poor People Care

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou are in charge of your own campaign and in control of your own success
    The Business model is ideal for selling sponsorship

ConsThe company does not care at all about you as an individual

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on bringing team member who needs more training, since you are only as strong as you least common denomenator

Worked for Marcus Evans? Contribute to the Community!

Marcus Evans Videos

Marcus Evans – Why Work for Us?

Producers of Economic and Business Summits, strategic Business Conferences, Professional Business and Language training, Corporate Hospitality events - THG Sports Filmed & Theatrical Entertainment and Ipswich Town… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marcus Evans reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marcus Evans CEO Marcus Evans. All 201 reviews posted anonymously by Marcus Evans employees.