www.marcusevans.com

Updated November 26, 2014
3.1

Marcus Evans Chairman Marcus Evans
Marcus Evans

Pros
  • It's downtown in the NBC Tower so you can really people watch (in 11 reviews)

• It's a great place to start off and I would say the hours are well structured yet flexible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any sales job, the base salary is nothing to write home about (in 16 reviews)

• Stealing your commission, leaving you to struggle on minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

I'm a conference producer at Marcus Evans

Current Employee - Conference Producer - South America in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Conference Producer - South America in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company has been in business for a long time they're a very large but agile, open for suggestions and keeping an eye on market trends. I'm proud to produce such high-end events.

Cons

Sometimes the work load can be over powering, but the end result is more than worth it.

Try and see things through

Good company!

Current Employee - IT Support in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Support in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm working for Marcus Evans and it’s a very good place

Cons

Inflexible office hours and no overtime

Keep up the good team spirit.

Very interesting projects

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Offers great salary and benefits to its employees

Cons

Not the most professional work environment

Discussing an employee's mistakes with them privately via email would make them more comfortable coming to for help.

I've worked for Marcus Evans from 2012 to 2014

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've found that there are many benefits aside from the pay and networking.

Cons

The culture of promoting from within sometimes disrupts the correct evaluation of the employees.

Evaluate your employees better

Opportunity to learn

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great place to work, I count myself lucky.

Cons

None at this point everything seems great

Perhaps expand your relationships.

Company that values employees, but too much turnover in support staff

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time

Pros

I think the management is highly successful in allowing employees to accomplish what they are specialized in.

Cons

Sometimes projects aren't that diversified

Hire more qualified staff with incentives to stay.

Great opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive- Summits in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive- Summits in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Marcus Evans has helped me build a strong sales foundation and mentality that I will have with me for life no matter if I stay with the company for five more years or for my entire career. I have been with the company for three years now and can say that with no previous experience in sales, the road to success at ME was by no stretch of the imagination easy.

This role is challenging in many different ways but for those who work hard and give it their all, the end result is very rewarding. Marcus Evans employees are trained to implement a challenger sales approach which is really designed to learn how to weed out the non-buyers and only spend time on the real buyers. This is a skill that can easily transition into any other sales role and is often recognized by the companies we reach out to. There have been countless times over the last three years where I have been offered a job in the middle of a sales pitch from the President of a company who is impressed by the way I can get them engaged and to talk about their business with me.

It took me five months to get my first deal, which is longer than it takes most people. During these five months, I continued to receive encouragement and support from my direct manager who really made me believe that I would be successful—which is ultimately why I stayed. I received training on a weekly basis and had to invest a frustrating amount of time on the weekends and before and after work to make sure that I was doing all that I could possibly do to experience success. My successful colleagues would tell me that it would eventually “click” and finally after five months of really hard work, I got my first deal and am happy to say that this company is still my client three years later.

Once you nail the process and truly understand the reasoning, sales begin to come consistently and that is when the opportunities within Marcus Evans really start to present themselves. Traveling to other offices around world, trip incentives, opportunities to launch brands of your own or build your own office within the Marcus Evans brand are all very possible and even encouraged by company if you have what it takes.

Cons

The base salary is definitely not something to write home about but the commission is amazing and if you are successful you can do VERY well for yourself even if you are young in your career. I want to stress that this job is not for everyone and that all of these amazing opportunities will not come to fruition if someone is not performing. Getting CEOs and Presidents on the phone is really really really tough and the job would literally be miserable if I was not good at doing so. If you are not competitive by nature or comfortable challenging people (professionally) to get what you want, than this job is not cut out for you.

Invest more in the technology aspect. I understand the computers on desks can cause major distraction and lower productivity, but the computers that are Available should be fast working to make time spent on them more efficient. This would lower frustration for a lot of people and increase a positive work culture.

I worked at Marcus Evans

Pros

Promote from within, peers are hardworking and supportive. Managers available at anytime .

Cons

Low base salary but if you work hard and follow program you will do very well

Would show appreciation if Marcus Evans would address the sales floor next time he is in Chicago office. Last time he did not.

You get out of it what you put into it!

Former Employee - Team Leader - Senior Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Team Leader - Senior Sales Executive

I worked at Marcus Evans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Marcus Evans is a world class company that provides a top level experience for their clients. The training provided by management is very strong, and uncharacteristic for most sales positions. Having worked at Marcus Evans strengthened my skill set, and I would gladly walk back on staff if the opportunity arose. Interaction with upper management all around the globe is exciting, and they welcome creativity and out of the box problem solving skills. If you have the drive to succeed, this is a great company to work for.

Cons

This job is 'cut-throat,' turnaround IS high, but people must realize that if they are not making sales they are not just shorting the company, they are shorting themselves. The base is not significant, but people don't work at Marcus Evans for the base. If you plan to sit at your desk and NOT work hard, then don't plan on staying with the company long. This is a position for motivated self starters that are ready to learn, grow, and make money. If that's not you, then don't apply. AND don't come on glassdoor whining if you get fired. You are probably better off elsewhere.

My advice would be to have a more succinct plan in place for development and training goals for individuals. People who want to grow and succeed should continually be monitored, as the stronger the individual, the larger the asset they are to the organization.

Opportunity

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marcus Evans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I welcome the opportunity and nature of the work.

Cons

It could to be more proactive and assertive.

Management is good, just need to open more positions for advanced opportunities.