Marcus Theatres Reviews

3.1
Bruce J Olson

1. Great place to work

I have been working at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Great employees and good management staff

Cons

Money is low but still a good job

2. Overall, a pretty good place to work. They treat everyone fairly and management is great!

Former Employee - Concessions in Mequon, WI
    Former Employee - Concessions in Mequon, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perfect to schedule around my college classes
    Everyone likes to help eachother out to complete the daily tasks
    Easy to switch shifts if you need to

Cons

Have to work a certain number of weekends in a month.
    Sometimes end up working late at night and then opening the next day as well.
    Management doesn't always listen

Advice to Management

Listen to the ideas of the smaller employees more, sometimes great ideas are overlooked because of who is suggesting them

3. Associate

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great high school job. Chillin at a movie theater for a job isn't bad. Try and get the management to teach you all the little things about running a theater, it can be interesting and fun. Obviously mileage will vary with location, but still.

Cons

It can be very boring working at a movie theater. If your theater doesn't have a huge amount of screens, you can have large lulls of boredom throughout the day. If your coworkers aren't particularly social, this can be dreadful.

If you fall for the assistant manager trap, you're screwed. Little pay for lots of work and responsibility. Don't recommend unless you plan on ditching after a respectable amount of time so you can have managing experience on your resume.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, good grief.

5. Not Bad.

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Addison, IL

I have been working at Marcus Theatres part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You get to pick your availability, and they will give you shifts accordingly. Only problem with that is that you don't have a set schedule and you have to wait until the new schedule comes out.
    -You get a lot of experience because they rotate you around a lot of different positions. Nice first job.
    -It's not really a physically hard job, you even get 10 minute breaks during your shift.

Cons

-Not much advancement in pay here, even supervisors get paid the minimum wage.
    -Watching free movies is not easy, you have to call in an hour early and ask if they'll let you in, and that depends on whether that show is busy or not. You also get a dollar pass for every 12 hours of work, which you or friends can use any day except Saturdays.
    -They will give you a lot more hours than you specified on your availability sheet whenever there is a popular movie coming out.
    -Sometimes it's hard to trade or get a shift covered if it's on a really busy day.

6. A lot of say and little action

Current Employee - Usher in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Usher in Addison, IL

I have been working at Marcus Theatres part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movies and popcorn. Flexible hours

Cons

A lot of say and no action. Upper management

Advice to Management

To actually follow information given.

7. You work here for the perks and people. Not the money.

Former Employee - Box Office Associate in Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Box Office Associate in Sheboygan, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movies, popcorn, soda, etc. As well as generally great people to work with. You don't work here for the money you work here for the perks and the people.

Cons

Minimum wage. Management is extremely unorganized and biased. For example harassment was allowed by some associates towards others but I witnessed others being fired for the same behavior. A lot of this job has to do with how much the managers like you. Personally I loved working at our theater before the renovations the people were nicer and it was a much less stressful environment

Advice to Management

The management needs to become better organized and have clear cut rules that apply to everyone. You cannot have to much gray area when it comes to rules. Also if you tell employees they will receive yearly raises do not wait until a year and a half in to issue them.

Marcus Flux

I have been working at Marcus Theatres

Pros

movie posters. movie posters. movie posters

Cons

serious management uncoordination. Weak compensation.

Advice to Management

see above

9. Decent potential but unprofessional management

Former Employee - Server in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Server in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is the potential to make a decent amount of money for the work that is being performed. Free movies and $1 movie passes are a great perk to the job.

Cons

Management is very loose and disorganized. You will hear one thing from one manager and then something contradictory from another. Corporate does not support the lower level managers which creates greater confusion and dissatisfaction among the staff.

Poor compensation, long hours, no regard for employees.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Until recently I very much enjoyed my job. Free movies, popcorn, and drinks for you and your whole family. That's where the perks end.

***note senior management score applies only to former general manager***

Cons

In the last two years Marcus Theaters has come under new management. New CEO, District Directors, etc. since this change it seems that nothing is more important than their bottom line. Payroll hours have been cut dramatically, odd since they have added four hours of operation (9am-12am). Employees have to work long hours for minimum wage 365 days a year. There was one day a year, Christmas Eve, when we would close early...no longer. Managers are underpaid and underappreciated, berated by corporate for waning box office attendance despite record profits. The only reason I have worked here so long (over 7 years) is because of my manager who has now left the company all together due to corporate cutting manager bonuses and complete disregard for every employee. I plan on quitting the moment I graduate and never looking back.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate what's important. Take a look at "Ben's10" which is hanging in every Marcus Theatre and assess what is missing from your new philosophy. Invest in your employees. Become a company worth praise.

11. Highly unorganized and no communication.

I worked at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Flexible schedules, free movies and popcorn.

Cons

The higher management does not communicate with employees. A lot of changes happen and in order for the staff to know is by word of mouth. When machines break it takes about a month to get fixed.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees