Marcus Theatres

Bruce J Olson

Not Bad.

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Addison, IL

I have been working at Marcus Theatres part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-You get to pick your availability, and they will give you shifts accordingly. Only problem with that is that you don't have a set schedule and you have to wait until the new schedule comes out.
    -You get a lot of experience because they rotate you around a lot of different positions. Nice first job.
    -It's not really a physically hard job, you even get 10 minute breaks during your shift.

Cons

-Not much advancement in pay here, even supervisors get paid the minimum wage.
    -Watching free movies is not easy, you have to call in an hour early and ask if they'll let you in, and that depends on whether that show is busy or not. You also get a dollar pass for every 12 hours of work, which you or friends can use any day except Saturdays.
    -They will give you a lot more hours than you specified on your availability sheet whenever there is a popular movie coming out.
    -Sometimes it's hard to trade or get a shift covered if it's on a really busy day.

You work here for the perks and people. Not the money.

Former Employee - Box Office Associate in Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Box Office Associate in Sheboygan, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free movies, popcorn, soda, etc. As well as generally great people to work with. You don't work here for the money you work here for the perks and the people.

Cons

Minimum wage. Management is extremely unorganized and biased. For example harassment was allowed by some associates towards others but I witnessed others being fired for the same behavior. A lot of this job has to do with how much the managers like you. Personally I loved working at our theater before the renovations the people were nicer and it was a much less stressful environment

The management needs to become better organized and have clear cut rules that apply to everyone. You cannot have to much gray area when it comes to rules. Also if you tell employees they will receive yearly raises do not wait until a year and a half in to issue them.

Marcus Flux

I have been working at Marcus Theatres

Pros

movie posters. movie posters. movie posters

Cons

serious management uncoordination. Weak compensation.

see above

Decent potential but unprofessional management

Former Employee - Server in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Server in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is the potential to make a decent amount of money for the work that is being performed. Free movies and $1 movie passes are a great perk to the job.

Cons

Management is very loose and disorganized. You will hear one thing from one manager and then something contradictory from another. Corporate does not support the lower level managers which creates greater confusion and dissatisfaction among the staff.

Highly unorganized and no communication.

I worked at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Flexible schedules, free movies and popcorn.

Cons

The higher management does not communicate with employees. A lot of changes happen and in order for the staff to know is by word of mouth. When machines break it takes about a month to get fixed.

Communicate with employees

Poor compensation, long hours, no regard for employees.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Until recently I very much enjoyed my job. Free movies, popcorn, and drinks for you and your whole family. That's where the perks end.

***note senior management score applies only to former general manager***

Cons

In the last two years Marcus Theaters has come under new management. New CEO, District Directors, etc. since this change it seems that nothing is more important than their bottom line. Payroll hours have been cut dramatically, odd since they have added four hours of operation (9am-12am). Employees have to work long hours for minimum wage 365 days a year. There was one day a year, Christmas Eve, when we would close early...no longer. Managers are underpaid and underappreciated, berated by corporate for waning box office attendance despite record profits. The only reason I have worked here so long (over 7 years) is because of my manager who has now left the company all together due to corporate cutting manager bonuses and complete disregard for every employee. I plan on quitting the moment I graduate and never looking back.

Reevaluate what's important. Take a look at "Ben's10" which is hanging in every Marcus Theatre and assess what is missing from your new philosophy. Invest in your employees. Become a company worth praise.

Ok

I worked at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Good room to move up in the company

Cons

Hours are long, and frequently you're screwed over

Great first job

Current Employee - Box Office Associate in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Box Office Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at Marcus Theatres part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This was a fantastic first job, I worked at Marcus Theatres for 5 years starting my freshman year of high school. The staff was great to work with, I made a lot of friends on the job which made the shifts easier to get through. They have a flexible schedule which is great if you're involved in out of school activities, vacations, etc. As an employee you get free movies, popcorn, and soda!

Cons

The pay is low, the breaks are way too short, the food at work is very unhealthy I suggest bringing food with you.

Did not enjoy working here at all. Managers are unprofessional.

I have been working at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Free movies and 1 dollar movie passes

Cons

Bad hours and bad management

Cut workers some slack

Not much room for advancement and low pay

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free movies are always nice

Cons

Low pay, not much room for advancement and they hardly ever give raises - even after being an employee for years