Marcus Theatres

Updated January 22, 2015

Bruce J Olson

Ok

I worked at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Good room to move up in the company

Cons

Hours are long, and frequently you're screwed over

Poor compensation, long hours, no regard for employees.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Until recently I very much enjoyed my job. Free movies, popcorn, and drinks for you and your whole family. That's where the perks end.

***note senior management score applies only to former general manager***

Cons

In the last two years Marcus Theaters has come under new management. New CEO, District Directors, etc. since this change it seems that nothing is more important than their bottom line. Payroll hours have been cut dramatically, odd since they have added four hours of operation (9am-12am). Employees have to work long hours for minimum wage 365 days a year. There was one day a year, Christmas Eve, when we would close early...no longer. Managers are underpaid and underappreciated, berated by corporate for waning box office attendance despite record profits. The only reason I have worked here so long (over 7 years) is because of my manager who has now left the company all together due to corporate cutting manager bonuses and complete disregard for every employee. I plan on quitting the moment I graduate and never looking back.

Reevaluate what's important. Take a look at "Ben's10" which is hanging in every Marcus Theatre and assess what is missing from your new philosophy. Invest in your employees. Become a company worth praise.

Great first job

Current Employee - Box Office Associate in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Box Office Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at Marcus Theatres part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This was a fantastic first job, I worked at Marcus Theatres for 5 years starting my freshman year of high school. The staff was great to work with, I made a lot of friends on the job which made the shifts easier to get through. They have a flexible schedule which is great if you're involved in out of school activities, vacations, etc. As an employee you get free movies, popcorn, and soda!

Cons

The pay is low, the breaks are way too short, the food at work is very unhealthy I suggest bringing food with you.

Did not enjoy working here at all. Managers are unprofessional.

I have been working at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Free movies and 1 dollar movie passes

Cons

Bad hours and bad management

Cut workers some slack

Not much room for advancement and low pay

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free movies are always nice

Cons

Low pay, not much room for advancement and they hardly ever give raises - even after being an employee for years

Good place to work if you're a teenager.

Current Employee - Associate in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Marcus Theatres part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free movies excluding Saturday and opening weekends, associates get free popcorn and soda for themselves and the people they're with, good first job experience, you can meet some awesome people on the job

Cons

minimum wage, breaks are very short, food is unhealthy, managers don't seem to know what they're doing half the time, employees aren't reprimanded for failure to follow rules, managers seem to choose favorites and give them more freedom

managers choose favorite employees and give them more freedom than the other employees, they won't train some people for certain tasks (e.g they won't train me for box office and I've worked here over a year but a new hire will get trained to work at the box office right away)

Fun and easy job but under appreciated

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Marcus Theatres (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and flexible hours

Cons

New changes bring more work with no extra pay. Assistant managers make very little for the work they do. Open every holiday all day.

The pay for this company is very low! Also more incentives for employees at least on holidays such as costumes or something to make those days more enjoyable

Good first job but far from a career

Former Employee - Floor Employee
    Former Employee - Floor Employee

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The perks are by far the best. Usually you get to see movies for free and also depending on how many hours you work you also get passes that allow you to buy movie tickets for one dollar! The only exception is you can't use the passes on Saturday and the same goes for your free movie perk.

Cons

There is very little room for climbing in the company. For the most part you're stuck at minimum wage floor employee. You MIGHT be able to become an assistant manager but the pay I have heard is abysmal, still in the $8 dollar range. Climbing any further then that is from what I can tell incredibly difficult.

Great people to work with, but unsatisfying being stuck at the same level and pay forever

Current Employee - Box Office Associate and Float Team Member
    Current Employee - Box Office Associate and Float Team Member

I have been working at Marcus Theatres part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Managers and co-workers are all pretty great and easy to get along with (at least at my theater they were).
    * Very flexible hours and easy to schedule yourself around school or a main job if you are looking for a second one to pick up a little extra money.
    * Free movie admission for you and a friend, plus free popcorn and pop.

Cons

* You're stuck at minimum wage forever, can't really get moved up, and even managers only make like $8.50.
    * You're on your feet the entire time almost.
    * The uniform is hot, and since you only get one, be prepared to wash it all the time so it doesn't smell like trash, popcorn, pop, etc.
    * The corporate management has no idea that their base is made up of students and people working a second job, so recently hours have been extended meaning you don't get to go home until at least 11:30 at night (if you get lucky), and more often it's 1 or even 2 am.
    * Right now there are at least 3 different things we are supposed to push onto the customer before we even get to what movie they want to see - this wastes their time, makes your line go slower, is tiring on your voice (which seems like an overreaction, but I don't care), and causes more stress than it is worth.
    * Most customers are all right, but the ones that aren't are pretty much the worst kind of people you can deal with - and most people don't clean up after themselves, so be prepared to hate humanity if you are on the float team.

This is to the corporate office, not so much the local theater managers:
    * Think about who your employees are, and what you're asking of them - extending hours wouldn't be so bad if your employees didn't all need to do homework or get up in the morning for their other job.
    * Consider updating the uniform, or at least modifying it for summer and winter. Vests would be great and still look classy during the hot summer months.
    * Listen to your customers!

Ok first job

I have been working at Marcus Theatres

Pros

Free movies, except Saturdays and opening nights
    Free popcorn and drinks
    Building I worked at was nice

Cons

Has low pay.
    Lots of teenagers.