Marcus & Millichap Reviews

193 reviews filtered by
3.2
Marcus & Millichap President & CEO John J. Kerin
John J. Kerin

Pros
  • They have a good training program in which you learn how to underwrite commercial income properties (in 14 reviews)

• There is a lot of money to be made in the commercial real estate business (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no salary (small salary if SIP, which later gets deducted from commissions) (in 10 reviews)

• 100 percent commission based compensation structure (in 7 reviews)

1. Sky is the limit

Current Employee - Broker in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Broker in Washington, DC

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Its a meritocracy. The people are hard working and passionate. The culture is tight and if you fit the culture you will love it and if you don't fit the culture you will be gone eventually.

Cons

Not for the faint of heart.

Started my career in the Sales Intern Program and transitioned into an agent.

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap

Pros

Great place to learn and build a business. You can make a lot of money here. Great work encironment with very hands on management.

Cons

Kill what you eat mentality

3. Good for brokers, can be rough for staff

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The office is fine, everyone works hard and is very driven. The management protects their brokers and works hard to get them good tools to succeed. It requires a lot of self starting but if you are willing to put in the hours as a junior broker then you can rise to the top. For me, not an aspiring broker, The work is stable, and loyalty is rewarded.

Cons

I work for a broker in this office and that really means that I do their bidding. It is often thankless and the hard work and long hours are not really worth it. Working for a broker is only good if you are interested in becoming a broker and can utilize the knowledge of your senior. For a staff member it is poor work-life balance, high stress, and a burned out feeling.

Don't forget about your designers, analysts, or marketing. They put in hard work and are the foundation of your success in many ways.

Great Company

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap

Pros

Accessible corporate staff, great atmosphere, great training

Cons

Fast paced environment, must be dedicated

6. Lacks support

Current Employee - Broker
    Current Employee - Broker

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap full-time

Pros

few. if any. freedom to run your business on your own

Cons

no support
    no employee benefits
    nothing offered that "keeps" employees at the company
    no team structure
    no senior guidance for new hires

support the people that make the money for the company...offer SOMETHING that would make people WANT to stay with M&M

7. it is OK

Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in New York, NY

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap part-time (less than a year)

Pros

commission based so if you are very good at it selling property, you will be paid well

Cons

less team work. it is more like run your own business

8. Internship Atlanta Office

Current Intern - Research Intern
    Current Intern - Research Intern

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn from people with vast experience in CRE. Employees are helpful and friendly while management appeared to be somewhat distant.

Cons

A few egos in the office but that is typical of high earning brokers. Overall, did not appear to be much in the way of work/life balance.

9. Absolute Freedom Can be a Double Edged Sword

Current Employee - Commercial Real Estate Broker
    Current Employee - Commercial Real Estate Broker

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-You set your own work week/holidays (I took a 1 month holiday last December, I can't imagine doing that anywhere else)
    -One of the few workplaces where you can double your income year after year (most senior agents in my office probably make north of 200k annually easily). Avg income for a starting agent in the current economy would probably be around 60k (if you are self-motivated).
    -Company provides the best training available to new agents in the industry

Cons

-Outdated software (they are working to change that now though)
    -Zero firm benefits (ie no 401k, company health insurance plans etc.). Agents are individually contracted/self-employed
    -Underpaid admin staff
    -High turnover: not because people get fired, but because it is really hard to new agents to make any money in the first 6-12 months.
    -Highly competitive environment. Agents are probably going after the same clients/owners. I hear from owners all the time that they get multiple calls each week from brokers both within and outside of our firm. If you don't keep up with your business and network of clients. You will lose out and bite the dust.
    -You eat what you kill; 100% commission based
    -What you make each year is economy oriented. If the economy sucks, your annual income that year won't be great either
    -High commission split with the firm. It gets better as you get promoted, but it's still pretty high

-Please invest more in admin staff, they are overworked for how much they are paid

10. Good Internship

Former Intern - Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Marcus & Millichap as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great Experience Working with great people in the San Jose Office. Lots of nice, smart, and fun people.

Cons

The pay is pretty bad as an intern. Minimum wage seems to be the norm company wide. That needs to fixed really. Other than that no other qualms

Help your struggling sales people with some kick backs.

Racism, Sexist, the Whole Shebang

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap

Pros

-Literally none. The admin staff are really cool though.

Cons

-Egos, egos, everywhere. These people do not think or feel like normal people
    -Extremely outdated technology that wastes colossal amounts of time. They keep saying they'll update but they never have.
    -Women not fairly represented in the workplace (at least in my office). In my office of ~50, there are two other young women besides myself, and one older female broker (so much for being an Equal Opportunity Employer). The brokers are pros at ostracizing.
    -Quite common (at least in my office) for brokers to throw around rape jokes, the c word, and crass impersonations of African American clients, with no regard to their audience.
    -No benefits

Set professional standards for your brokers, regardless of how much money they make. Possibly institute a zero tolerance policy for discrimination.

Marcus & Millichap Photos