Mardel Christian Bookstore

Amazing job!

Current Employee - Guest Service in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Guest Service in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time

Pros

I love how I can come and feel comfortable at work. If I have any issues, I can go have a private conversation with my manager anytime. If a guest gets aggressive or out of line, coworkers are always there. Everyone helps each other and the people who order for each department like doing it and it's a perfect fit for them. You get to help people smile and coworkers are always ready to help. The pay is great! Im thankful for what it is. They let you set your goals for that day (not commissioned) but how many people are helped!

Cons

I have spent more money there because I see things I like.

Not bad for a college job

Former Employee - Music Lead in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Music Lead in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When I worked here, the store offered an employee discount of 15%. They also allowed us to check out books for free and borrow music products (CDs, DVDs, etc.) for about a week. As long as you don't mind listening to customers talk about God (crazy stuff sometimes even for Christians), then they shouldn't cause you too many problems.

Cons

A lot of the challenges that you may face depend on your store manager and their leadership style. At my store, I replaced a department head that was let go, so there was some animosity that was directed towards me in the form of rumors, snide comments, and disobedience. My manager also rarely worked anyone more than 35 hours a week which was done to avoid providing benefits like sick time, vacation, etc. Their training could have been better, there was no formalized training compared to other retailers like Walmart and target. Finally, as would be expected for a Christian business, the employees are typically fundamental Christian, so if that's not your cup of tea, you may not enjoy yourself here.

Introduce a more formalized training and add team building exercises that will allow employees to better socialize with each other from the beginning.

This is a very difficult place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore

Pros

One of the few positives about working here is the access to thousands of books that can be borrowed for a week, which cuts costs for an avid reader.

Cons

It has never been an easy place to work, but in the past few months it has gotten much worse. It is extremely physically demanding, with far too many projects and far too few staff to complete them. There isn't good communication between departments on the corporate level, which leads to even more work when conflicting instructions concerning many of the tasks are handed down. And despite the name of the company, it really isn't a Christian company any more. The policies that are starting to be implemented are far from being Christian, including the Forced Ranking system.

Need 21st century technology and good old-fashioned customer service techniques, not the other way around.

Good environment as far as retail goes, don't love all their policies

Current Employee - Cashier in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As far as retail goes, working at Mardel isn't terrible. It's pretty boring, but the work environment is generally pretty pleasant, and I've found the customers to be a bit more reasonable than other places.

Cons

Projects are pretty monotonous, and they are of course a part of the Hobby Lobby corporation, so if you have concerns about some of that company's ethics, you may be uncomfortable working here.

Decent job for a teen but not much more than that

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Webster, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Webster, TX

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a christian myself, I loved the atmosphere and the people. The devotionals we would do every morning were a great way to start off the day and the customers were as friendly as ever. The coworkers I had pretty much made it worth while to work there. They are VERY flexible with your schedule and they also give you as many hours as you ask for, for the most part anyways.

Cons

The pay is very low and definitely not something you could realistically live on let alone raise a family on. As someone stated previously the work is very monotonous and you will grow tired of ordering your entire department in two days EVERY WEEK. Also, there is ZERO room for advancement despite what they may tell you when they first interview you.

I can only speak for myself so I know for me though the work was monotonous I would've been willing to keep doing it if y'all would increase the pay substantially and have at least some chance for advancement. I view this as a good job for a teen who lives at home and doesn't really need the money they just need some spending money. If you want to stop the high turnover rate and the view of this as a teen job then start paying people enough to be able to live on.

Fantastic Place to Work!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Christian atmosphere and company who cares about their employees

Cons

The pay was not great

Christian atmosphere

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Christian atmosphere and friendly colleagues

Cons

No chance for going full time.

Pay attention to those who who work hard and are not rewarded with a full time position.

Mardel has a friendly atmosphere and lots of opportunities to interact with customers.

Former Employee - Cashier in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Plano, TX

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, flexibility in schedule, great relationship with co-workers, opportunity to gain experience in different departments and work your way up

Cons

Difficult getting an increase in pay if working part-time, not easy to retain hours even when requested, sometimes hires under-qualified staff

Not too bad

Current Employee - Key Holder in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Garland, TX

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good atmosphere, company values family.

Cons

Mediocre pay, monotonous job responsibilities, lack of opportunity for significant advancement, undervalues employees.

At the store level, some of the managers leave employees feeling that they care more about the payroll budget and sales than about people. You need to work on the culture a little bit and focus on excellence in merchandising and customer service. Stop your managers from managing people as purely resources and treat them as people.

Long time employee

Current Employee - Assistant Manager/Department Lead
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager/Department Lead

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Sundays off, early closing time (9pm), late open (10 am). Smaller company so easy access to management. Customers are not as crazy as other retail establishments.

Cons

Low pay. Monotonous labor. You will be required to order everything in your department by recording what is there, and ordering what is missing. Most departments have over 10,000 items. This process takes at least two days.

There is zero opportunity for advancement. There are only 34 stores, and most have managers that will be there until they die. In the event of openings, they usually hire from outside the company. The corporate office is rich with nepotism, as mostly family members are hired.

The corporate office makes ghastly mistakes, often forgetting to send required materials needed to do the job.

You are often chastised for trying innovative ideas or considered out of line when building a display that was not sanctioned by corporate. Often times managers will show proof of an idea making money, only to be told to take the display down because it wasn't ordered by an "action memo."

HR complaints are handled poorly. In fact, the company doesn't have an HR department. Managers who do their job poorly are left in place for years, and if enough complaints are filed with the District Manager, the manager in question will simply be transferred to another store, rather than disciplined.

Hire someone with extensive business training and experience.