Mardel Christian Bookstore Reviews

Reset
3.4
Mart Green

1. CSR

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore (Less than a year)

Pros

LOVED everything about it

Cons

it was only part time .

2. Decent PT pos.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work pace is exciting, it is retail after all so there is always something to do!

Cons

The employees that say they are "Christian" but live otherwise. "Christian Atheists"

Advice to Management

N/A

3. Speaking solely to the store in Webster, TX

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time

Pros

Decent employee discount, store hours are college student friendly, Sundays off to be with family.

Cons

Very high turnover, some departments are not organized in a logical manner, some employees shown special treatment.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites with employees; stop being so controlling and allow department heads allowable degree of creative freedom to organize their merchandise.

5. Very stressful job

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore full-time

Pros

Many co-workers became like family. We had devotionals every morning where we had a chance to share prayer concerns and pray with one another.

Cons

Extremely labor intensive, with no consideration given to older employees. Started out to be a decent job despite all the heavy lifting and too much work for the staff we had, but they adopted high pressure suggestive selling and forced us to become hustlers, while wearing a smile and giving customers the impression we cared about them.

Advice to Management

Please get rid of the GUEST paradigm and the Force Ranking system. It hasn't worked for other companies and you are destroying your staff, all for a few $5 items.

6. Amazing job!

Current Employee - Guest Service in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Guest Service in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time

Pros

I love how I can come and feel comfortable at work. If I have any issues, I can go have a private conversation with my manager anytime. If a guest gets aggressive or out of line, coworkers are always there. Everyone helps each other and the people who order for each department like doing it and it's a perfect fit for them. You get to help people smile and coworkers are always ready to help. The pay is great! Im thankful for what it is. They let you set your goals for that day (not commissioned) but how many people are helped!

Cons

I have spent more money there because I see things I like.

7. Not bad for a college job

Former Employee - Music Lead in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Music Lead in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I worked here, the store offered an employee discount of 15%. They also allowed us to check out books for free and borrow music products (CDs, DVDs, etc.) for about a week. As long as you don't mind listening to customers talk about God (crazy stuff sometimes even for Christians), then they shouldn't cause you too many problems.

Cons

A lot of the challenges that you may face depend on your store manager and their leadership style. At my store, I replaced a department head that was let go, so there was some animosity that was directed towards me in the form of rumors, snide comments, and disobedience. My manager also rarely worked anyone more than 35 hours a week which was done to avoid providing benefits like sick time, vacation, etc. Their training could have been better, there was no formalized training compared to other retailers like Walmart and target. Finally, as would be expected for a Christian business, the employees are typically fundamental Christian, so if that's not your cup of tea, you may not enjoy yourself here.

Advice to Management

Introduce a more formalized training and add team building exercises that will allow employees to better socialize with each other from the beginning.

8. Good environment as far as retail goes, don't love all their policies

Current Employee - Cashier in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As far as retail goes, working at Mardel isn't terrible. It's pretty boring, but the work environment is generally pretty pleasant, and I've found the customers to be a bit more reasonable than other places.

Cons

Projects are pretty monotonous, and they are of course a part of the Hobby Lobby corporation, so if you have concerns about some of that company's ethics, you may be uncomfortable working here.

9. Decent job for a teen but not much more than that

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Webster, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Webster, TX

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a christian myself, I loved the atmosphere and the people. The devotionals we would do every morning were a great way to start off the day and the customers were as friendly as ever. The coworkers I had pretty much made it worth while to work there. They are VERY flexible with your schedule and they also give you as many hours as you ask for, for the most part anyways.

Cons

The pay is very low and definitely not something you could realistically live on let alone raise a family on. As someone stated previously the work is very monotonous and you will grow tired of ordering your entire department in two days EVERY WEEK. Also, there is ZERO room for advancement despite what they may tell you when they first interview you.

Advice to Management

I can only speak for myself so I know for me though the work was monotonous I would've been willing to keep doing it if y'all would increase the pay substantially and have at least some chance for advancement. I view this as a good job for a teen who lives at home and doesn't really need the money they just need some spending money. If you want to stop the high turnover rate and the view of this as a teen job then start paying people enough to be able to live on.

10. Fantastic Place to Work!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I worked at Mardel Christian Bookstore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Christian atmosphere and company who cares about their employees

Cons

The pay was not great

11. Christian atmosphere

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Mardel Christian Bookstore part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Christian atmosphere and friendly colleagues

Cons

No chance for going full time.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who who work hard and are not rewarded with a full time position.

RSS Feed </> Embed