Mardel Christian Bookstore

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mart Green

Good environment as far as retail goes, don't love all their policies

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Edmond, OK

ProsAs far as retail goes, working at Mardel isn't terrible. It's pretty boring, but the work environment is generally pretty pleasant, and I've found the customers to be a bit more reasonable than other places.

ConsProjects are pretty monotonous, and they are of course a part of the Hobby Lobby corporation, so if you have concerns about some of that company's ethics, you may be uncomfortable working here.

This is a very difficult place to work.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsOne of the few positives about working here is the access to thousands of books that can be borrowed for a week, which cuts costs for an avid reader.

ConsIt has never been an easy place to work, but in the past few months it has gotten much worse. It is extremely physically demanding, with far too many projects and far too few staff to complete them. There isn't good communication between departments on the corporate level, which leads to even more work when conflicting instructions concerning many of the tasks are handed down. And despite the name of the company, it really isn't a Christian company any more. The policies that are starting to be implemented are far from being Christian, including the Forced Ranking system.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed 21st century technology and good old-fashioned customer service techniques, not the other way around.

Decent job for a teen but not much more than that

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Webster, TX

ProsAs a christian myself, I loved the atmosphere and the people. The devotionals we would do every morning were a great way to start off the day and the customers were as friendly as ever. The coworkers I had pretty much made it worth while to work there. They are VERY flexible with your schedule and they also give you as many hours as you ask for, for the most part anyways.

ConsThe pay is very low and definitely not something you could realistically live on let alone raise a family on. As someone stated previously the work is very monotonous and you will grow tired of ordering your entire department in two days EVERY WEEK. Also, there is ZERO room for advancement despite what they may tell you when they first interview you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can only speak for myself so I know for me though the work was monotonous I would've been willing to keep doing it if y'all would increase the pay substantially and have at least some chance for advancement. I view this as a good job for a teen who lives at home and doesn't really need the money they just need some spending money. If you want to stop the high turnover rate and the view of this as a teen job then start paying people enough to be able to live on.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic Place to Work!!!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Arlington, TX

ProsChristian atmosphere and company who cares about their employees

ConsThe pay was not great

Christian atmosphere

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsChristian atmosphere and friendly colleagues

ConsNo chance for going full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to those who who work hard and are not rewarded with a full time position.

Mardel has a friendly atmosphere and lots of opportunities to interact with customers.

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsFriendly atmosphere, flexibility in schedule, great relationship with co-workers, opportunity to gain experience in different departments and work your way up

ConsDifficult getting an increase in pay if working part-time, not easy to retain hours even when requested, sometimes hires under-qualified staff

Not too bad

Key Holder (Current Employee)
    Garland, TX

ProsFlexible scheduling, good atmosphere, company values family.

ConsMediocre pay, monotonous job responsibilities, lack of opportunity for significant advancement, undervalues employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the store level, some of the managers leave employees feeling that they care more about the payroll budget and sales than about people. You need to work on the culture a little bit and focus on excellence in merchandising and customer service. Stop your managers from managing people as purely resources and treat them as people.

Long time employee

Assistant Manager/Department Lead (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, Sundays off, early closing time (9pm), late open (10 am). Smaller company so easy access to management. Customers are not as crazy as other retail establishments.

ConsLow pay. Monotonous labor. You will be required to order everything in your department by recording what is there, and ordering what is missing. Most departments have over 10,000 items. This process takes at least two days.

There is zero opportunity for advancement. There are only 34 stores, and most have managers that will be there until they die. In the event of openings, they usually hire from outside the company. The corporate office is rich with nepotism, as mostly family members are hired.

The corporate office makes ghastly mistakes, often forgetting to send required materials needed to do the job.

You are often chastised for trying innovative ideas or considered out of line when building a display that was not sanctioned by corporate. Often times managers will show proof of an idea making money, only to be told to take the display down because it wasn't ordered by an "action memo."

HR complaints are handled poorly. In fact, the company doesn't have an HR department. Managers who do their job poorly are left in place for years, and if enough complaints are filed with the District Manager, the manager in question will simply be transferred to another store, rather than disciplined.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone with extensive business training and experience.

Great People in a good company

ProsGreat People, Excellent and Positive working environment, Most people really care about what they're doing. Usually employees will go the extra mile to make the customer happy.

ConsIt's a smaller company so ability to fully staff is sometimes lacking creating an overlap in responsibilities.

Little stress, but much expected for inadequate pay.

ProsVery good work environment. Good comradery among co-workers. Very flexible with work schedule.
    Closed on Sundays...rare in the retail industry.

ConsLittle to no feedback on performance...I have never had a formal performance review.
    No real career advancement if you are employed at the store level.
    Wages I believe are lower than average for retail sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a Christian-based company, Mardel should be setting the retail industry standard for the rest to step up to. An example is Chick-Fi-Lay.

Worked for Mardel Christian Bookstore? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mardel Christian Bookstore reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mardel Christian Bookstore CEO Mart Green. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Mardel Christian Bookstore employees.