Margaritaville Hospitality

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Dan Leonard

1. Hard work but a blast!

Former Employee - General Merchandise Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - General Merchandise Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Margaritaville Hospitality (More than 3 years)

Pros

They encouraged us to think outside the box.

Cons

Long hours with the restaurant side.

2. Company Changed

I worked at Margaritaville Hospitality full-time

Pros

Escapism Lifestyle Brand based on the life and songs of Jimmy Buffett.

Cons

Inconsistent, lack of communication and some upper level management treats people awful.

Advice to Management

Go back and find the roots/ origins of the company and all that it stood for.

3. Hostess

Former Employee - Hostess in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Hostess in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Margaritaville Hospitality part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Atmosphere to work in with co-workers. LOTS of FUN! Good discounts on food and merchandise available to all employees Flexible hours that work around other jobs and school schedule

Cons

Bad Management Relations- I worked there for a year and the GM never once said a word to me or other employees who had been there for multiple years. Compensation- No pay increases are ever given out, even after being employed for years.

Advice to Management

Some managers chose to micromanage and not allow us to complete work in a more efficient way than what they wanted.

5. Accountant

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at Margaritaville Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in an ascetically pleasing environment

Cons

Everything is fragmented, and way too much red tape.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to continually validate your position. This makes tasks needlessly harder for everyone involved.

6. Former Employee

Pros

Fun guests, different lifestyle, 100% match on 401k, paid holidays. Different merchandise, very good employee discount. Ability to be creative with merchandising.

Cons

Health insurance is very expensive. Not ran very well. Little support from the corporate office. To reliant on Jimmy Buffett's name. Food isn't very good, almost nothing is made in the venues.

Advice to Management

Advertise! Just because you use Jimmy Buffett's name doesn't mean everyone knows who you are.

7. Great for college students

Pros

Great flexibility with schedule for college students. Downtown in the French quarters

Cons

Point system sucks. Management is usually disgruntled. High turn over rate.

8. Security

Former Employee - Security Officer in Bossier City, LA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Bossier City, LA

I worked at Margaritaville Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun dealing with happy guests

Cons

Management has no regard for employees

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees

9. Dissatisfied doesn't even cover it..

Former Employee - Bartender in Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Destin, FL

I worked at Margaritaville Hospitality part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I observed while working at Margaritaville in Destin, Fl was the overall attitude of the customers. Your customers' attitudes can really make or break your night in the service industry, and for the most part, the bar guests at Margaritaville were happy to be there enjoying the view and overpaying for a sugary margarita.

Cons

The cons behind the bar stem from management. The first problem are the several managers on staff as well as the "bar trainers and bar supervisors." Of these people placed in upper management, I only encountered one who had any experience working behind a bar outside of Margaritaville. Therefore, the bartenders are messy, inefficient, and excruciatingly slow. They simply don't have the experience to properly work volume.

Advice to Management

Promoting from within is great for a company. However, I would advise Margaritaville to be more selective of their management (including "bar trainers") and prevent the inflated ego of your managers from driving off staff. I personally really enjoyed the customers and the location of the bar/restaurant, but you won't find many experienced bartenders (or employees in general) who are willing to be physically grabbed, berated, and snapped at like an animal.

10. Really fun company to work for (when you get to go in).

Current Employee - Server in Pigeon Forge, TN
    Current Employee - Server in Pigeon Forge, TN

I have been working at Margaritaville Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere inside the restaurant is fun and the music is definitely a plus! The managers are nice and when it is busy, servers have the potential to make amazing money! And they use online scheduling which can be text directly to your cell when posted.

Cons

They only hire part-time to begin with and then move you up into full time employment. This seems a little odd for just a serving job. There is favoritism (as there is in any restaurant). When it is slow... it is so so slow because of the location.

Advice to Management

I love my job but I think the sections should be rotated more fairly. Being upstairs all the time and told not to come in at all or being first cut all the time is unreasonable to ask anyone to do financially.

Restaurant Manager

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager

Pros

They say it's a fun place to work and the benefits are great!

Cons

They promise you the world and then you read the fine print. This is a dying company and management has no idea how to turn it around. Case and point. It took them 10 years to revamp their outdated menu and when they did, they missed what their core customers were looking for...i.e.Good Food with a Great Value. Instead they raised prices and produced and inferior product that our competitors are putting out.

Advice to Management

Fire your regional managers who are producing! You guys run off any manager that cares about the place and tries to make a difference.

RSS Feed </> Embed