Marianos Fresh Market

Updated July 27, 2014
Updated July 27, 2014

2.5

CEO

Pros
  • Great co workers, great food, good environment, everyone always looks happy, customers are easy to interact with, every customer leaves satisfied (in 4 reviews)

• Better starting pay than most retail stores (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No real benefits for part-time employees (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is awful and is clueless to what goes on in store (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience at Mariano's is busy, challenging, and sometimes, fun!

Current Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part of working at Mariano's is the involvement within a unified group. My lead continuously challenges me by example. Chris is quick, efficient, and genuine. I feel comfortable going to her with any questions I have about my job. I was trained by Art, Ashley, and Dakota my first day. Art taught me how to open a meat and a cheese log out of their wrappers; how they should be placed on the slicers. Ashley I watched make a steakhouse potato salad with 4 big swoops of the arms. I am grateful of my fellow co-workers patience in learning the job.

Cons

Seeing I have only been at the company 5 weeks, I haven't earned the right to complain. My only personal con is that there isn't a Mariano's closer to Woodstock, Illinois (where I live), ha ha ha!

Great as a stepping stone

Current Employee - Deli Crew  in  Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Deli Crew in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment. Ability to have fun at work while striving for customer satisfaction.

Cons

Scheduling issues, training to move up, failed promises.

If you know a department is busy you should be able to compensate with the amount of workers you have, especially at night. At night, there are fewest employees, in the busiest department (Deli), and customers begin to get agitated at waiting.

Bad

Current Employee - Night Stocker  in  Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Night Stocker in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nonthing nothing at all bro

Cons

GREEDY ONWER CUTS HOURS SO HE DOESN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR HEAlthcare
    How we going to make a living with hours cut

Fire ur chairman

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

if you have the energy...come on over!

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

always busy..great customers..great co-workers..mutual respect for each other..fun, exciting place to work/shop and be a part of the experience.

Cons

now that there are more stores, the training isn't long enough for proper methods..as a result, the employee isn't becoming integrated into the dept. union isn't very active with members.

say thanks..it goes a long way. respect the fact that we will do the best we can, under the circumstances. i like the help mgmt gives us...and i like the help we can do for customers. assign leads to every shift for every dept.

Don't believe that wonderful story the tell you in the beginning!

Current Employee - Grade Level IV  in  Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Grade Level IV in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a job, co-workers and thats it!

Cons

Breaks when could get them! Union that does nothing and takes your money. Upper Management.

I was a full time employee at the Palatine store, what started out as a wonderful place to be in turned into a disaster in two months. Upper management that relies on threats, and or loss of your job only shows how dysfunctional they are at being a successful company. A company that has so much turnover in jobs because of the way they treat employees tells a person the full story. The fact that in some cases you are told to go to other stores or else your job is no longer available is yet another example of how this company treats employees. Do yourself a favor and avoid this company!

Dead End

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market

Pros

My coworkers, Flexible scheduling, and did I mention my coworkers.

Cons

I have been working at Mariano’s for a while now, and I have come to the conclusion that this is a dead end job. Management is intolerable, patronizing, and inconstant in what they want from their employees. I must be honest, my fellow coworkers and I have zero to no respect for management. Roundy’s is only focused on two things and two things only… to build more Mariano’s and to make sure 90% of all their employees stay under 30 hours a week. Getting promoted at Mariano’s is extremely difficult, despite what they tell you when you are first hired. The union is a nothing more than a joke. UFCW is only worried about collecting union dues and not rocking the boat with management. UFCW is no longer the strong union it once was. In fact, it’s a dying union struggling to maintain its membership. The turnover rate is high and my store’s morale has been low for a long time. Many of my coworkers see that there is no future with Mariano’s and are only there because of the economy. My coworkers are honest, loyal, and some of the hardest working people I have ever seen, and to see them so defeated and discouraged breaks my heart. Shame on you Mariano’s!

Stop being jerks! Be constant and stop changing everything around. Become more organized and STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF. Everyday is like the end of the world with you people, all you do is panic and put more pressure on your workers.

extremely stressful, discouraging, disappointing, and exhausting job..wish the lies told at hire were true...

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful store with wide variety of products
    Fellow employees are very friendly

Cons

Upper management is extremely inattentive, overly harsh
    Pay for job expectations
    Over-worked -- too little staff
    Lack of appreciation for ANY work done
    Lack of training

The upper management (store manager, asm, co-manager, and higher corporate) need to take a good hard look at the people who pay their salaries. As the everyday employees who take care of the customers who put money on our bottom line, there is a severe lack of appreciation for what we do and how hard we work. Too many empty promises are made and too many great employees have quit for better opportunities where they can be appreciated for their work. While promises are made about how easy it is to move up, the process by which to do so is complicated and unrealistic, yet seems to be easily skirted around for the "right" people. Some of the department managers are really great, yet I've seem them talked down to by higher management as well so why would we want to move up into their positions. I think that there was a sense of potential and opportunity when our store first opened -- like the sky was the limit, but slowly over the year we have been open that opportunity has turned to disappointment. I have some great ideas for new products but get the run around whenever I suggest possible ideas. Overall, I just feel like I am over-worked and run down working for this company.

Easily the most stressful job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Food Service Worker  in  Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Paid weekly.
    -Job security*
    -Co-workers are friendly on a personal level.
    -Union job.
    -Store offers a nice variety of product choices and is very customer-oriented.

*If you follow the guidelines and rules of the store, and work past "probation" (30 days) then the Union will protect your job as long as you are employed from the store. Mamie Pratt works as the store's union rep and will happily address any problem one might have.

Cons

-Full time employees get good benefits.
    -Part time employees do not get benefits for first year.
    -Management are very unprofessional, insensitive, and will do whatever it takes to satisfy a customer at any employee's expense.
    -The "level system" employed by the store is unfair, and creates an imbalance between pay grade and employee responsibilities.
    -Employees get no kind of discount, or rewards from the store.
    -Advancing in the company is very difficult, if at all possible.
    -They often expect you to work longer/outside of your hours of availability.
    -No excuses/No tolerance attitude.
    -Workload is often far more than what you were under the impression of training for.

The management have a phenomenal way of instilling fear amongst the employees through vague threats, condescending tones, and the work done is never really up to their standards. Employees should receive more respect for their hard work, along with a little more sensitivity to the needs of the people you depend on.

Worked for Marianos Fresh Market? Contribute to the Community!