Marianos Fresh Market

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
2.4

CEO

Pros
  • Great co workers, friendly environment, beautiful store (in 5 reviews)

• Better starting pay than most retail stores (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for part time workers and the union fees really are a pain in the rear (in 11 reviews)

• Store management is under enormous negative pressure from upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

General Team Member

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working for Mariano's, I came in as a bagger and cart attender and within two weeks I became a cashier, Everyone is very friendly and open for conversations and questions. No questions is a stupid question. Mariano's food is AMAZING I've only been employed for a month now but I have a generous amount of food since working there and I loved everything so far

Cons

There's absolutely nothing I don't like about being in mariano's

Keep up the great work I give you all 5stars

overnight team member

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market

Pros

Got to listen to music as long as you are being productive. Got to order pizza at least once a week. Management was understanding if you were unable to show up to work and almost always arranged the schedule to suite everybody on the team.

Cons

Once management noticed that we can get the work done they would want us to do more. We would end up having to do other departments work with no rewards. Management call the shots of who gets promoted, but the problem is that their not there to see who works and who does not because they all leave after 10pm. Management favors some employees more than other.

Treat all employees the same.

I enjoyed working here

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk -Level I in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk -Level I in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The salary here is great, Flexible hours, friendly people, and they host a lot of employee events as well.

Cons

Late hours, Sometimes the managers are hard to work with, and the job can be stressful.

director

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Oak Lawn, IL
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (more than a year)

Pros

easy access from home o work

Cons

too many employees reporting to me

be more accessible to employees

deli member

Current Employee - Chicago in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Chicago in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-pays every week
    -paid extra for every holiday, if you worked or not.

Cons

-hard to move up within company.
    80% of the jobs are part time.
    A person has you have 5+ years of experience in order to become partime

Treat you employees with more respect. You can not expect a person to give it 100% if your only giving them 50% of the hours a person needs to manage.

The upper management sucks, and you'll never get a raise unless you know someone.

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is slightly elevated than other jobs would be.

Cons

The management sucks. You have to be cool with the CSRs and the SOMs and the store director to go anywhere.

Stop creeping on young girls and be fare to everyone.

Good Company to work for.

Current Employee - Front End in Frankfort, IL
    Current Employee - Front End in Frankfort, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market

Pros

I like working with the other cashiers and interacting with the customers.

Cons

Schedules need to be more consistent: morning hours, number of hours, days off, etc. Schedules seem to be all over the place.

Pay more attention to the employees and acknowledge a job well done. Granted, profit is wonderful, but don't forget if it weren't for the good work of the employees, there would be no customers.

Amazing people to work with, managers cause the turmoil

Former Employee - Front End Lead
    Former Employee - Front End Lead

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market

Pros

Great pay for a cashier position, it's always busy so time flies, great people, insane growth allows for promotions within the company, employee empowerment, cross-training is always available, flexibility, 9 out of 10 customer interactions aren't bad

Cons

Can be stressful, management cuts hours frequently causing shortages of employee resources to save money, management does not recognize your value to the company and the great things you have already done yet doesn't hesitate to scold you for a minor slip up, because of the insane growth opportunities within the company the managers work their butts off to impress regional managers (which is bad for you level one's)

Many don't get it, but I do. You want to go far because Mariano's is expanding so much and you're stressed all the time. If you see ANYONE in the store do anything, or see someone maybe doing something out of their job description - RECOGNIZE IT. A meaningful good job can give tremendous benefit to the employee.

Because of the poor job market, they get a lot of experience for very little pay.

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many new stores are opening.

Cons

As employees leave the company, they are not replaced. Working for union with no yearly reviews or goals, makes you not care to do a better job.

Starts out great and then expect disappointment

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers: They employee a lot of great, friendly individuals.
    The portrayal of the company's culture is fantastic and one you would love to be a part of until you are about a month in with the company.

Cons

They talk big about training and development but in reality they will push off your training and development because they have their "favorites" that they would prefer offering increased pay to. They have a lot of "bosses" rather than leaders. None of the management team knows what they are doing yet they expect you to know without proper training. Lack of communication- once you are hired consider yourself another body in the workforce. They do not care about your personal/work life balance. Lack of organization and structure.

Stick to your word. Train employees rather than throwing them into the workforce and expecting them to "learn as they go". Implement strategic plans and stick to them. Raise your own management teams morale- how can one be motivated to work when their own managers have low morale?.

Marianos Fresh Market Photos