Marianos Fresh Market

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
2.4

CEO

Pros
  • Great co workers, friendly environment, beautiful store (in 5 reviews)

• Better starting pay than most retail stores (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for part time workers and the union fees really are a pain in the rear (in 11 reviews)

• Store management is under enormous negative pressure from upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy job, if you have previous retail experience, management will expect you to complete notes with unrealistic goal times

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market

Pros

Pay, ease of position, breaks, hours

Cons

Promotion Ability, incompetent management, no organization in the backroom, lazy employees

Focus on assessing your team members abilities and coach when needed,engage with your team and lead not manage

Front End Lead Cash Handler

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market

Pros

Meeting and working with new people in a grocery retail environment is fun and stimulating

Cons

Staffing challenges with regards to a very young team can be very stressful

Loosen up slightly on the labor budget so that better service can be provided and the quality and presentation of product may be improved

Just a temporary job until something better comes along

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Wheaton, IL
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the interacting with customers and product knowledge received. It was fairly easy to get days off from my supervisor and the work wasn't too bad at times.

Cons

Staffed full of high school and college kids, so be prepared for drama, childish behavior, and constant back biting. People always whining and complaining about someone not pulling their own weight or doing something wrong, but nobody wants to step up to the plate to help or educate. Very clickish atmosphere as well: if you don't get along with certain people, they will go out of their way to make your life a nightmare.

The career advancement is a joke. It will take at least 9 months to a year before you can become a full time employee because they demand you take all their online computer courses and complete their work training. The kicker is you can only do them while you are working and if you supervisor gives you permission to do them. Since most employees are all part time working 25 hours a week and normally can't get any time off during their shift to do their training, there is no way you can get it done. Really, it is just a way to keep you an indentured servant rather than giving you a real possibility to advance in the company.

Constantly working or putting in the extra effort and nobody giving a damn really. I remember helping out other departments at closing time, staying over, and other stuff, but my work didn't mean one bit. I was always treated like a criminal or thief by the upper management. If anything, my fellow employees didn't like the fact I was showing all the work they could be doing either.

No much I can say to management because their whole business model is based on part time workers constantly entering and leaving their workforce. I thought it was funny how the store was still hiring six months after they had opened. In fact, the HR manager told me they can't keep up with the people who quit or get fired (sometimes for the most stupidest reasons).

Incompetent Management

Current Employee - Lot Captain in Wheaton, IL
    Current Employee - Lot Captain in Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good first Job
    Base pay is reasonable
    Co workers are generaly fun to work with
    If you have a good manager it can make all the difference

Cons

Cant move in the company, if you want to train for a different position you have to pester management every shift
    Management is inconsiderate of employees
    Employees are treated like they do not know how to do their jobs,

Treat your employees well and they will be dedicated to the store. I am tired of nagging management to get promoted, I am tired of being sceduled outside of my avalibility, I am tired of not being respected.

Make a good first impression or else.

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, Good benefits, A great vision of what a grocery store should be. Some great, helpful, employees who go out of their way to assist their own and other departments.

Cons

Awful hours for salaried employees ( especially now that the hours are being cut down ), trial-by-fire training methods, high expectations at all times no matter the situation, limited positions available for promotion. Your morale depends on how good your management team is. Get results or else!

Employees with good morale are better employees. Treat your employees as people with respect. say hello to them, don't talk down to them ( especially in front of customers or other employees ), understand employees are people, some are older who can't run around like they could 30 years earlier, some are going to school and can't work every hour every day. Don't look at your phone or walk away from them when they approach you about an issue.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team members were always ready to help each other. Customers were friendly and appreciative of the store and staff. Frontline supervisors were very responsive and up-beat doing a very difficult job. Clean, beautiful store.

Cons

Store management is under enormous negative pressure from upper management. When upper management visited the store, store managers and supervisors were visibly stressed out. Team members witnessed managers being yelled at by upper management. As time went by during my employment, the atmosphere became more tense and more illogical rules were applied. It was fun at first but the stress was not worth 9.00 per hour.

It seems like the store is doing well. But I wonder about the outlook for the future if employees continue to be demoralized. In my visits to locations in the last year, I see a definite decline in service compared to how it was when I started working there about 1.5 years ago. You've got some great talent working at the supervisory level but you are zapping their energy.

It has become a real stressful place to be, at first it wasn't that bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The co workers are some great down to Earth people. I've connected with people around my age and even older very easily. Co-workers tend to recognize you hard work more than management it seems at time (and this feels genuine). I've also get along with co-workers in different departments. They can make a day go by with ease. Can not stress how appreciative they can be (especially the older ones).

If you are a college student whether you go to a big time university or a local community one it's a fairly decent job to have. You can get your hours adjusted to fit your schedule that you chose (so long as you take the proper steps to change your availability which is a simple task to get done).

There are a good amount of customers that are a joy to have or at least appreciate your hard work. I've seen customers tip employees for going the extra mile. It's happened to me before as well for helping out a customer who didn't have strong English skills. I'd say it depends on the day.

The pay is alright, it's a good job for someone who needs to gain work experience and looking for a entry level job.

I have to say meeting Bob Mariano was rather legit. He is a really nice guy and it's awesome to see him come to the stores. When I first met him I didn't know who he was or what he even looked like I was told once that he was in the store and I couldn't find him so I continued on with my task I was doing. He came up and introduced himself as just Bob he didn't say his last name I don't know why but for some reason I found that cool. How often do CEO's bother to actually go down to their stores to see how things are going? Short lived experience but I like the guy he is cool.

Cons

Management at times can appear to be on the employees side but if they don't like you they won't put up with you and put you on thin ice. I get the feeling the minute you do something wrong or what they deem so they'll turn their back on you.

Scheduling can get annoying at times. Some people don't get the hours they need. If you are a student attending school you'll at times find yourself scheduled to work when you are suppose to be in class (even if you change your availability I've seen co-workers express the fact that they have been scheduled when they have class).

The store is filthy and at times maintenance is too heavily relied upon to keep the store in clean. These stores are fairly decent in size. The amount of filth in that store is ridiculous. The Front End will have garbage on the floor, pieces of produce, and all sorts of general trash. Aside from the fact that customers are generally nice, they are pigs. Carts are often left with a wide assortment of trash, I have even found a piece of deli meat and a half ate banana in it's peel. There general is a two people on maintenance earlier in the day but after 4 o clock one lucky person is stuck on maintenance alone.

Now the customers who are rude, mean, and just generally unpleasant can be a real stress. I'm often times am lucky not to interact with one but I have seen rude customers and generally tends to be people who are suppose to be mature and be able to have patience. Both former and current co-workers say that customers have basically been rude for zero reasons. I've seen people flip over the /SMALLEST/ and I do /SMALLEST/ reason. Turning a ant hill situation into a mountain. You've really got to watch some customers they are a PRO and a CON all in one. The more "negative" customers tend to ruin's people mood really well. I've seen customers who've made a big deal simply out of the fact because someone ruined their bread. I mean really? You still are in the store, give us the damaged item and we will simply get you another one or you can get yourself do you really have to throw a tantrum like a child? Check yourself please, you are wrecking yourself.

No benefits for part time workers and the union fees really are a pain in the rear.

Training is poorly executed. My training was done by pointless computer training. If you are in the front end you get someone who has already been there for a longer period time to train you and not everyone I STRESS THIS NOT EVERYONE CAN TRAIN SOMEONE EFFECTIVELY AS THEY NEED TO BE. A new system needs to be implemented for training, it's ridiculous how hard people struggle their first few days.

Figure out a system where people can actually benefit from the training given to them. Try to not take up the customer's side. Employees tend to be in the right. Treat them like a human being, not a child don't try to speak down on a employee for making a mistake. Stop being so worried about your horrible image as a company. Be a little more genuine and not fake, people can see that you don't really care. Don't make promises you can not keep.

Puts customers over employees

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Wheaton, IL
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Wheaton, IL

I have been working at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, good products, good first job, decent starting pay, lots of different places to work around store, scheduling and requesting off is online, shifts can go by really quickly, flexible with availability,

Cons

No real perks for working (no discounts), training is at a minimum, promotions don't really happen, lower level supervisors can be hit or miss, union fees increase after 60 day period, understaffed, lots of young people who don't want to work, breaks can be either way too early or way too late, can't control when your break is (at least in front end), favoritism plays a big role in the workplace, part time can't work past 25 hours (working more in the summer would be nice), expect too much from lower level employees, customers feel like they can treat employees like crap, constant firing/hiring

Make union optional, watch lower level supervisors, promote more, respect the employees, reward good work

All Depends on store director

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Usually flexible scheduling, time off,

Cons

compensation, management, under staffing,

Stop changing around management so much. The fact that a new store director comes in almost every season is ridiculous. Also promote people for what they are doing.

Nice to customers...not so nice to employees

Former Employee - Worked Everywhere in Frankfort, IL
    Former Employee - Worked Everywhere in Frankfort, IL

I worked at Marianos Fresh Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Opportunity to work in different parts of the store
    Great customers
    Pay is ok for someone who has some bills...above minimum wage

Cons

Managers hassle employees while on break
    Morale is brought down because of all the turnover
    Pressure from higher management trickles down the line and causes problems
    Trust between employee and managers needs to be mutual
    Told that full-time hours can be achieved...never happened

Turnover problems need to be addressed. You are losing some good people because of bad management decisions. Trust your lower employees to do their job.

Marianos Fresh Market Photos