Maricopa County, Arizona

Maricopa County, Arizona Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

I have learned a lot about public health.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsMy coworkers are all mostly very nice, caring, hard working individuals. Family-type environment. The benefits are great. Tuition reimbursement is nice. They are in the process of accreditation. Many employees have been there for a long time. Great director of Public Health. Great job experience and fulfilling serving the community needs.

ConsThe pay was low for many years. More recently there was a pay raise which brought me back up to what I made a few yrs ago, but who knows when the next one will be. Sometimes upper management can be set in their ways and not involved in taking care of problem behaviors unless you are the type of employee that calls directly to upper management each time there is a minor problem, and you have known them for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved in growing for the better when there is a need to grow. Do to be too set in your ways. Build more policy and procedure and spend time on orienting your employees using evidence-based practice. Audit your long time employees occasionally to make sure they are providing updated quality care. Make sure you can support your employees financially for retention.

Great benefits, not so great pay

Court Operations Specialist (Current Employee)
    East Mesa, AZ

Prosjob security, great training and interesting work in the courts.

Consthe pay isn't so great.

No Room for Growth, No Appreciation for level of Expertise, Education or Experience

Manager (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsI worked for the Public Health Department as a manager. Co-workers are dedicated public health employees, great benefits including tuition stipend.

ConsSeems to be no opportunity for growth, had not been raises for a long time, but recently the Board of Supervisors did approve raises. Still, with raises, hourly wage below norm. The tuition stipend went dry, we were informed by administration that it had been suspended. Promotions are internal, and based on favoritism not real expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper administration should sit down with employees and get their input.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work...

ProsEndless possibilities for jobs, you can move as much as you want, tuition reimbursement is easy to access now, probation period is not so bad (6mos) but benefits start very quickly (BIG plus!).

ConsIt all depends on where you move to. Sometimes management is great, sometimes they're busy playing "the game" with others. It's a little harder to move without a degree of sorts (AA or BA/BS), but it can still be done. Sometimes it is "who you know" and sometimes you have to watch your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake time to shadow your subordinates (unless you've moved up from their job, of course) so you know what they're going through and may be able to offer better help if they need it.

Good place to start out, but...

Materials Lab Tech (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Pros(Benefits) if you need them.
    (Pension) which is not as good as it used to be.
    (Stability) Once past probation, very hard to be fired unless you really screw up.

ConsImpossible to advance, because most of the supervisors in all the departments are hiring their buddies or their subordinates friends. This is the case County wide based on some of the other reviews, which is no surprise. Higher ranking managers have been fired before for all types of abuses like harassment, taking bribes, and not handling projects in accordance with federal regulations, and then its all doublespeak from the departments, they say stuff like oh so and so is retiring, but in reality he just got canned. No leadership here, our supervisor in our department has fake credentials and barely knows how to run our department, complaints taken to his supervisor (Engineer) are met with comments like, he needs more time to learn, learning time has passed along time ago. LOW PAY AND A COUPLE VERY SMALL RAISES IN 7 years. Raises are somewhere in the 2% range, hah, that doesnt even keep up with inflation, the benefit premium increases year after year, pension increases year after year. I'm making less money than when I first started after adjusting for inflation and increases in premiums!@!! New punch timecard system is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice whatsoever, you guys hold surveys all the time with the staff and the same topics come up year after year, with no corrections, what are the surveys for exactly?

It's alright...

ProsGreat benefits, different types of opportunities.

ConsThought there would be more room for growth, but so far not so good. The pay is okay, but after taxes, and arizona state retirement (you don't get to choose the amount, they take out a chunk for you) you are left with a very small amount of money. Don't get me wrong, the state retirement will be my money, but it would be great to be able to choose how much will be with drawn from each check.

I enjoyed working with a very diverse group of people.

Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsOne of the benefits for working at Maricopa County is there medical and retirement plan.

ConsOne of the challenges I faced while working for Maricopa County is there lack of training.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey really need to see to it that County employees receive pay raises more frequently.

EHS

EHS (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsDiversity in action going well

ConsTurn over needs pro consultation

Advice to Senior Managementless turn over

Consider your options...

Probation Officer (Current Employee)

Prosbenefit package comparable to other government organizations. Can be a good starting point for work experience. Flexibility is good, but is become less relevant as a perk.

ConsWhere do I start....This organization overlooks good employees. Those that have been hired, generally realize that the department will not foster you (Opinions from other departments as well) and leave. There is still a very large "good ole boy" system in place which will hamper quality employees from being heard. Many first-line supervisors overlook gross misconduct or behaviors in favor of keeping a peaceful work environment.

Veterans, be aware that this organization will not foster your opinions of leadership. There is a civilian ideology of rank and file, but no one is held accountable unless punishment needs to be implemented. I have spoke to countless veterans and the consensus seems to be the same, don't attempt to be a self-thinker or take initiative, you will only become disappointed.

There are some good managers that continue their drive towards exceptional ethics, but are kept at bay by the leadership pool. Since starting, I have noticed expanded micro-managing of subordinates. If you have a particular life skill (which can contribute to the department), it will usually be overlooked in favor of a less experienced employee that is friends with management. It is not unusual for subordinates to have exceptionally close (not during work hours) relationships with supervisors and managers. I feel there is a true disconnect of roles within the department, which I have not experienced in other large organizations I have worked for.

Job market is still dicey, but I am looking forward to moving away from this position to a more promising future.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that the "Cons section" is a good starting place....

Good, but leaves a lot to be desired

Appraiser (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsHas excellent benefits (if single/unmarried, for instance, I pay about $50 per pay period for health, dental, vision, pharmacy, etc.)...tuition reimbursement at $5,250 per year, various other small benefits. Great job security..basically have to screw up big time to get fired and there have been no lay offs in some time. Flex schedule available, free bus pass. After gaining the trust from your superiors you do have the ability to request time off pretty easily.

ConsThere weren't pay increases for 6+ years until recently - hopefully it happens every year. There are people who wind up doing very little work and others who do too much so its unequal. There is a clock in system that wasn't implemented correctly so its a mess. Rules aren't enforced as some people are on facebook all day which is in violation of the internet policy. Policies from management tend to be confusing and can change daily. The pay is very little compared to private companies (but that's exchanged for the job security, etc). There is very little incentive to seek a promotion if one keeps getting turned down over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain pay increases by merit so those who do the work get what they're due. Recognize your employees for what they do.

Worked for Maricopa County, Arizona? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Maricopa County, Arizona reviews and ratings. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Maricopa County, Arizona employees.