Maricopa County (Arizona)

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.9

CEO

Pros
  • Co-workers are dedicated public health employees, great benefits including tuition stipend (in 7 reviews)

• job security, great training and interesting work in the courts (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • MICRO MANAGEMENT, POLITICAL HACKS, NO CAREER ADVANCEMENT, LOUSY PAY, LITTLE TRAINING, - NO ONE LISTENS (in 3 reviews)

• It's low pay compared to other law enforcement officers, and it's very dangerous (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Snapshot

I worked at Maricopa County (Arizona)

Pros

Insurance, flex time, benefits

Cons

Cronyism, dislikes change, high turn over

Management needs to pay attention to the talent they have and stop playing favorites.

Former Employee - Trainer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County (Arizona) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and salary is comparable for the work.

Cons

Favoritism and inexperienced management play huge part of why a lot of people choose to leave.

Please pay attention to why people choose to leave....management in certain departments are not qualified to manage staff (education or experience).

it was very experiencing and lots of job duties, but overall the office and other co workers were good to work with

Current Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa County (Arizona) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

working lots of overtime and meeting new people.

Cons

downfalls were when people started to gossip and talk about non job related stuff and how some got into your personal business.

need to hire more people who are on base with everyone on the floor whether it be polling site or in the office and more communication about job duties.

Limited opportunity

Former Employee - Deputy Public Defender in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Deputy Public Defender in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County (Arizona)

Pros

Stable pay decent insurance free parking No other pros. Really closed minded management. Hire new grads, burn them and turn them.

Cons

Crappy policies for promotion. Unresponsive management. Hiring experience sucked. Turn, churn and burn mentality

Quit and improve the office

Misleading Job Duties

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County (Arizona) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As with most public governments good retirement (although expensive), insurance and benefits.

Cons

Advancement of Supervisory staff that have not business or skills in managing staff.

Think of hiring managers that have the capabilites to manage don't base decision on years of service.

It was both challenging and disheartening at the same time

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County (Arizona) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, senior management has a strong vision and commitment to attaining that vision, strong commitment to staying up to date with technology.

Cons

Double standards, dishonest middle management, unrealistic and unclear expectations, excessive forced retirement account deductions, work-life balance is promoted but not actually followed.

Before terminating an employee, please ensure that you have looked at the whole picture before making a final determination, i.e., an employee who for 7 years previously had excellent work performance and who also dedicated himself to learning a new technology and also put in extremely long hours to ensure the success and stability of said new technology, suddenly has all responsibilities taken away and according to middle management, has performance issues?? Something doesn't seem quite right with this picture.

Government offered benefits

Current Employee - Assessor Clerk in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assessor Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa County (Arizona) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job stability and sufficient insurance benefits

Cons

Little growth opportunity. Difficult work environment.

Initiate stronger HR policies and enforce procedures in dealing with employee conflict in order to avoid poor employee performance and high turnover

Unappreciative and unrewarding work environment in Public Health Department

Current Employee - Health Educator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Health Educator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa County (Arizona) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful, caring staff who truly wish to make a difference. Benefit package is attractive.

Cons

Raises are far and few between. The last raise came after 5 plus years and it was abysmal. Therefore the Maricopa County Department of Public Health is incapable of retaining stellar performers because they are not rewarded for performance, only length of employment. Instead the politicos who have been employed there for twenty years or more continue to maintain an atmosphere of mediocrity and ineffectiveness, leading to the status quo of protecting the red tape and not the public. I began my position with no training, and as an exempt employee was expected to attend meetings at 6:30 a.m., and work over 50 hours a week. Administration is out of touch with the mission of this organization, and it's employees. Many folks accept a position here thinking that it is going to be an opportunity for growth and contribution. Administration does not support this concept. Be advised there are a few bad actors at the administrative level, and negligible leadership at the top to monitor administrative direction.

Consider examining what will make the public health department a meaningful employer who rewards its staff for performance and innovation. Take a closer look at administration and high turnover, consider why employees are resigning, make changes to recruit and retain an excellent workforce and a culture of self worth.

Great experience with great benefits

Current Employee - Help Desk Coordinator Senior in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Help Desk Coordinator Senior in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa County (Arizona) (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low key. Willing to teach you on the job. My boss is really nice and takes us out to lunch for our birthday and pays for our lunch other times.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company, They are willing to pay for your school but only if it is in the job that you are doing. I have my BS and work in Help Desk. I'm trying to move into a network administration but they won't let me take any classes that involve with networking. Only Help Desk classes. I don't want to be in Help Desk for the rest of my life.

Career stopper

Current Employee - Air Quality Inspector
    Current Employee - Air Quality Inspector

I have been working at Maricopa County (Arizona) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits - time off - job security

Retire already!