Maricopa County Community College District
www.maricopa.edu Phoenix, AZ 50 to 149 Employees

Maricopa County Community College District Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
Maricopa County Community College District – Tempe – “Chancellor Dr. Glasper and an employee at our…”

Good place to work

Senior Human Resources Analyst (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa County Community College District full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMCCCD is very consistent. The size of the organization allows for a good amount of internal training and there are limited opportunities for educational support even outside of the district. There is now a push for more quality on-boarding and development for managers and, if done well, that will greatly increase employee satisfaction. There is currently a lot of churning in MCCCD as a significant number of employees are choosing to retire.

ConsThe downsides are normal to most large organizations. We are parsed into employee groups and there is a tendency for managers to treat individual contributors as subordinates rather than equals who are simply serving in different roles. This results in ineffective performance management as any criticism is more likely to taken as an attack rather than assistance. Along these same lines, I see an inappropriate amount of talking about people rather than talking to them. While it is appropriate for individuals to seek guidance in dealing with sensitive situations, it is inappropriate for them to seek guidance in such a way that it harms someones reputation. At some point, an individual should generally be afforded an opportunity to have their voice heard after being supplied with sufficient detail so that they can respond sensibly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the managers that report to you suck as managers, it is because they are following your example.

Faculty

Faculty (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County Community College District full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe students are motivated and are a pleasure to teach.

ConsThe Administration is controlling and will take out issues on faculty., The faculty ass. is gutless.

District Office is running IT into the ground - and we think it's on purpose

IT Staff -saying More Wouldn't Make IT Anonymous (Current Employee)
Tempe, AZ

ProsGood vacation benefits, decent healthcare benefits, more days off than typical.

ConsAbsolutely idiotic management (goes all the way to the top). They refuse to supply the resources required to support their infrastructure, tell IT NO when we need to upgrade hardware and software, and then blame IT when we're hacked. Instead they keep coming up with new initiatives that are not even half thought out with a deadline and resources that make their goals unattainable. They don't even fill positions when people quit or retire. It is literally the insane running the asylum.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so short sighted, listen to people that really understand the details, and stop punishing people that are trying to help you.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mostly a good place to work

Manager (Current Employee)
Glendale, AZ

ProsMaricopa Community Colleges have a large network of colleges and skill centers, so there is variety and ability to move around. The benefits are good, paid time off, professional development, state retirement among others

ConsThe organization as a whole is top heavy and also bows to faculty desires which isn't always best for business. It is a large organization so you need to learn the politics and procedures to initiate change. Also, each campus has a totally different working structure based upon the college president's personality, that isn't good for a cohesive system there are too many variables.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize the value in the workforce in addition to the value of faculty - systems don't run themselves you need people

Top heavy organization; too many managers who keep adding to employees' workloads without benefiting the organization.

Faculty (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

ProsProfessional growth opportunities and tuition waivers for classes

ConsTop heavy administration at most campus and District headquarters and bureaucratic processes that make it incredibly difficult to do anything creative in education.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop adding vice presidents, senior deans, deans, associate deans, etc. We have budget problems, and you keep adding more. What do all these people do? Are the *really* necessary to the organization?

Great Place

Tempe, AZ

ProsGood benefits, compensation, paid time off, and an evolving Employee Wellness program. Plenty of opportunities for advancement as I have moved up from an Intern, to part-time, to an admin, and now at the management level.

ConsOld school mentality with a large amount of baby boomers in the workforce.

Sadly in horrible Decline

Full Time (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa County Community College District full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood student programs and service. Currently good people who would like to see things get better!

ConsNo pay increases for faculty, managers and staff for YEARS. Work contracts are changing so fast it will make your head spin. Horrible politics fueled by extremely low morale of employees. All employees are doing far more and making much less in compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe District needs to wake up before a mass exodus hits. Maybe they don't mind losing a large number of employees now that the real estate has improved. I really have no advice, as I've never seen a place fall apart so quickly on such a large scale. It's an awful shame.

It's a part time student job

Student Ambassador (Former Employee)

I worked at Maricopa County Community College District part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a great small college in a nice neighborhood, the part time work is good for students that need money and experience.

ConsThere was nothing really bad about the job but there weren't many hours. The job did not last very long either, only about 1 semester.

Employee

I have been working at Maricopa County Community College District full-time

ProsWe like the stability this job offers. It is paid decently. I have very hard time finding something positive to say.

ConsThe politics are absolutely unbearable. You will not find ANY employee advocates in this organization. Longstanding complaints do not get resolved or addressed. If the economic situation was not so dire, I would never dedicate this many years to this organization. If one does not "click", her or her performance does not matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany MCCC managers should receive training on employee harassment. Many MCCC managers should further their education in the area they manage.

The Maricopa Community College District is a large educational system with multiple layers

Division Director (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

ProsWorking at one of the Maricopa Community Colleges has fantastic opportunity to interact with and guide adult students ready to make change in their lives. Each day is a new beginning for someone.

ConsThe Maricopa Community College District is very large and at times individual colleges or the district office can looses sight of the volume and time tasks need working on a campus with students. Students come first not our administrative processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery voice is valuable.

Worked for Maricopa County Community College District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Maricopa County Community College District reviews and ratings. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Maricopa County Community College District employees.