Maricopa Integrated Health System

Steve Purves

Experience at MIHS

Current Employee - Pharmacy in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Environment. I love my coworkers. Good place to start your career. Amazing benefits.

Cons

Lots of turnover among management.

Have a more standardized training plan for new employees within the department they are assign to work at.

It aint for WIMPS!

Former Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

MIHS has everything. If you don't like where you're at, you can usually move around within the organization.

Its NEVER boring. Things are constantly changing. Sometimes you hit a rough patch, but it usually evens out.

GREAT for building your career and gaining experience, or even staying for a long term career, or leaving and then returning (which plenty of folks have done).

Being on the front lines here is unparalleled; one of the best places to work in a hands-on patient care role, especially if you have a good team.

A strong sense of community and diversity and on the whole, people are very friendly.

The patient population is unlike anywhere else; the mission of the hospital is to serve the community. There is a very strong sense of purpose also.

If you're in your 50s, the retirement plan may be worth it for you alone.

Although sometimes they overdo it, leadership development is really pretty good here.

My health insurance was awesome here. I used the MIHS facilities whenever I could and I never even saw a bill.

Cons

Definitely a bureaucracy; power within the organization seriously needs to be rebalanced. Way too many managers

Much has changed very drastically in recent years. The organization is still grappling to embrace all of the new technology it has implemented (which has affected patient care in both negative and positive ways).

Instead of feeling like a medical center with an IT department inside of it, it sometimes feels like the place is an IT department with a medical center inside of it.

H.R., Employee Education, and parts of Administration are too large and made up of folks who, to put it very kindly, are clueless about patient care. And unfortunately, a lot of these folks will never leave, because they will never command their existing salary elsewhere.

This is a place where people hang on to the past; it is not uncommon to find people who have been at the organization for over 3 decades who are kinda tough to work with, and really, rightly so, because this place makes you tough!

Working in management here is extremely difficult (but it can also be extremely rewarding).

The retirement is worth it in the long run, but when you start its HARD. Especially right now. There's no way out of it; its mandatory and you cannot adjust your contribution.

It takes a lot to keep MIHS running on a daily basis. You deserve credit for even showing up!

Always remember that front-line staff (as well as patients) make up the heart of MIHS. Remember employee perks and incentives whenever you can.

And please do something about that Godawful parking situation. If Basha's can put up canvas carports, so can you.

Patients are interesting and appreciative. Clinical staff is knowledgeable and caring. Way too top heavy on management

I have been working at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The patients, salaries are good.

Cons

Many in management have been there for years and have little to no experience outside of MIHS. Poor medical leadership that hasn't kept up with current hospital trends. The new CEO is doing what he has done previously- get it ready to privatize. I predict that MIHS will go the way of most other safety net facilities- privately owned and operated.

Start looking- you'll never make it in the competitive hospital business environment. when you buy a computer system without the reporting package, you can't measure hospital performance or length of stays (hint- most places measure down to the hour)

Lack of leadership

I have been working at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Health System has gone totally electronic with the medical record.

Cons

IT leadership from the CIO down to the team manager, lack experience in managing people, and policies. The employee suffers greatly due to managements inability to make a decision. Until they get major overhaul of the leadership, they will just be another "County Hospital".

You have a CIO without healthcare experience. Directors and managers without experience. You are putting your patients safety at risk.

Great Place to work.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved the patient population. Fellow staff like family. Salary and benefits very fair. Lots of opportunities to be involved in community events.

Cons

For the most part, the management and leadership of patient care areas very staff oriented and caring. Business office management cares only about dollar signs and not the staff they oversee.

Be more aware of staff needs, treating them more as assets to the system.

Flexible and opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Administrative in North East Valley (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Administrative in North East Valley (New Zealand)

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and everyone you meet will be like family

Cons

There is so much opportunity for growth, but you have to know someone to get somewhere. I saw so many people who even went to school to get their education where not even considered for certain positions.

I think it is important to understand that if an individual dedicates so much time to an organization and loves going to work each day enough to go back to school they deserve the an opportunity to be a candidate for a promotion even if another manager does not think so because sometimes it may be it is a personality issue with the manager and not the individual. This organizations has so many dedicated employees who don't miss a day of work even when their sick, but I don't think they are appreciated enough.

certified nursing assistant

Current Employee - CNA in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - CNA in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

positive environment, people friendly environment

Cons

hard to get noticed once you have obtained more education unless it is in nursing.

Rn

Current Employee - RN II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - RN II in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great level 1 trauma center for adult and children . Wonderful Burn Center. A great teaching center. The best part of my job is caring for our patient population.

Cons

Having to work, but if I didn't need the money I would still go there to take care of patients.

To heavy on management.

A great health system that feels like family

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Benefits are good, ASRS retirement is vested after 5 years. People are GREAT! They work here because they care about people and helping those who need it most in our community. Everyone is treated with respect. The teaching aspect of the hospital pervades the environment and everyone is helpful and willing to take time out to educate, train and teach.

Cons

ASRS contribution is more than most 401/403k contributions. If you are counting every penny in your paycheck this can come as a big surprise.

Don't let good people go because of one bad apple. It was difficult to feel bullied by a Director who was an interim director and not feel like I had any safe recourse for action. HR is really about minimizing the risk to the company and lawsuits, not for the benefit of employees. As a Director there was no one else to go up the chain to without looking or feeling like I was immature. The new policy of making every RN have a Bachelors and Masters for certain positions is going to mean you lose valuable experience and nursing expertise for a superficial reason. This will ultimately hurt the morale, patient safety and employee satisfaction scores. Management is very short-sighted on this new policy.

Not a good place to work

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Arizona State Retirement is a good program, but they do take > 11% of your pay. This is the only good thing I can say.

Cons

NO training. NO orientation. Told there is no job description, there never will. Here's your job, figure it out, make it up as you go along. No teamwork. No support system. Unsafe. Someone made the comment "If you don't fit in here when you first get here, you never will." And they will let you know it. I, for one, truly wish I would have heeded those words.

Get a handle on what is going on the clinic. Put guidelines in place. Train your people.