Marie Stopes International

14 reviews filtered by
3.1
Marie Stopes International CEO Simon Cooke
Simon Cooke

Worked for MSS Pakistan - learnt a lot!

I worked at Marie Stopes International

Pros

The project I was working on required interacting with very skilled qualified people from MSS London. I loved the capacity building.

Cons

Some managers do not have the qualifications to do their job well. Some are so insecure about their jobs they suppress talent in their own departments.

Advice to Management

Hire people with the right degrees who believe in investing and building talent, and not threatened by it.

2. Impressive mission and passion, lacking systems and rigorous evaluation of effectiveness

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Marie Stopes International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

MSI has a very specific niche in the reproductive health field. Their track record in terms of the provision of services is unparalleled. The geographic scope (where they work) is amazing and the staff are generally deeply committed to the organizational mission. Oversight to ensure that the quality of the services provided are up to standard is excellent

Cons

MSI London still has a lot of work to do in terms of orchestrating activities in the field. Each field office as a great deal of autonomy, which is good. Although managing the finances and personnel continues to be a serious challenge. The organization also attempts to take on too many new programmatic activities, accepting funding for areas that are outside of their field of expertise.

Advice to Management

Stick to the areas of strength (delivery of clinical sexual and reproductive health services). Tighten up financial controls and management systems to make sure that the quality standards are meet in all of the country programs.

quiet pleasant but little pay

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly environment and cultural sensitive

Cons

hostile working environment in South Sudan

5. Brilliant Ethos

I worked at Marie Stopes International

Pros

MSI has a great ethos and everyone that I had contact with really tries to go the extra mile to achieve the best for the client. Well paid for charitable organisation.

Cons

Idealistic senior management seems to negate the efforts of the majority. Restructure is good if it is managed correctly and has a purpose.

Advice to Management

Better recognition of the effort made by staff would not go amiss.

6. If you can work somewhere else, better do that.

Current Employee - Counsellor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Counsellor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Marie Stopes International part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most nurses and doctors are really nice.
    If you work as bank staff, you can make decent money

Cons

Everything.
    Salary awful.
    Management terrible.
    Disorganised.
    no loyalty to staff

Advice to Management

Wouldn't know where to start

7. Communications Intern

Former Employee - Communications Intern in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Marie Stopes International

Pros

Great culture, positive people, professional managers, interesting tasks

Cons

I wish I could stay there after completing my internship

Advice to Management

Would be great if you gave an opportuniity to international students to join the conpany

8. Its an organization focused on delivery of reproductive health services to those that need them most yet can't afford.

Current Employee - Senior Project Accountant in Kampala (Uganda)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Accountant in Kampala (Uganda)

I have been working at Marie Stopes International

Pros

Its part of an International Organization hence one gets a lot of exposure to best practice especially in the fields of project service delivery and management.

Cons

As a not for profit organization, the reliance on funding from partners may sometimes have an effect on service delivery and also personal career progress.

Advice to Management

Management should keep up on reiteration of the organization's vision and goals to achieve more

9. Wonderful in the field

Current Employee - Director - Country Office
    Current Employee - Director - Country Office

I have been working at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MSI is an incredibly passionate place to work, and the two country programs I've worked for have been among the best and most effective NGOs in their fields. Both have great office cultures, with dedicated staff and lots of development opportunities for both local and expatriate employees. Both have been a lot of fun, with very flat management and dynamic working environments. Lots of excessive hours, but also lots of opportunity to grow and sink your teeth into the work.

Very little bureaucracy at the field level - easy to get things done and innovate. Provides the opportunity to be on the cutting edge of public health work.

Pay decent but not extravagant, which is as it should be. Lots of autonomy at country office level, which is good. Both programs have nurtured truly fantastic local talent.

I've had the benefit of three incredible bosses in a row, who have been amazing for my development and for the programs they've led.

I have had several roles here and I can say that they have each, successively, been the best jobs I've ever had, with the best boss I've ever had and working within the best team I've ever worked with.

Cons

Poor finance and monitoring systems at global level have let everyone down and have persisted for years. the organization is now several years into a constant restructure at support office, which is confusing and depressing for all involved.

Changing roles internally is a nightmare due to a persistently useless London HR team. I love my job but every interaction with them makes me want to quit.

Poor diversity policies, especially at support office. Lots of middle class, white male leadership and little appetite for change, or acknowledgment of privilege. A lot of "group think" on what being a social enterprise means.

Advice to Management

Nurture the passion in the field and make it easier for people to move between programs. Take local talent much more seriously, and push for it when needed.

Address diversity, fix the People and Development team and take responsibility for the back office systems that should really be fixed by now.

10. Fast-growing organisation with big ambitions

I have been working at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's an exciting place to work, with big ambitions and plans for the future. The pay is pretty good for the sector and on the whole the people are a good, fun bunch.

As there's plenty of growth, there's also plenty of opportunity for career progression and to broaden out skills. There's also great opportunity to work across different countries and regions, which has been a big plus for me.

There's a big focus on delivering results and value for money, which I've found very inspiring, along with a collectively strong focus on the mission.

Cons

The organisation has grown rapidly over the last few years and some of the systems and processes haven't always kept pace with the growth, which can lead to frustrations - the IT system in particular needs some investment but that seems to be happening now.

Advice to Management

Invest in systems!

11. London MSI - Shambolic, over funded and wasteful - will turn you off the charity sector for good

I worked at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few good things at MSI London;

- Afford themselves very nice offices in SoHo..not bad for a "charity"
    - As per other reviews they have developed themselves within a niche but global market which means your work remains interesting in geopolitical terms
    - There is also therefore plenty of chances to travel (in fact MSI staff fly around the world all the time - whether it is necessary or not, I witnessed director regularly meeting in Dubai to discuss spreadsheets?!?!)
    - Career progression - MSI are very good at projecting an image of professionalism despite the chaos inside the organisation. People are promoted often, there are lots of opportunities to move around the organisation. They have an almost unparalleled staff turn over - this is in part because MSI will give you lots of skills on paper at least making it easier to move on after
    - They pay almost private sector rates

Cons

- Shambolic and useless leadership - This is a huge problem because there wasn't a hierarchy for decision making (I cannot count the amount of meetings I attended where progress wasn't made because the executive team won't be accountable
    - The organisation has an odd business model... they need to sell higher priced commodities to sustain themselves, though they also need to provide clients with the cheapest and best medical commodities. This isn't their fault obviously but as I have drawn on... they do receive a lot of funding...
    - As touched upon already - this organisation is heavily funded both through its commercial enterprise but mostly from large anonymous donors. The spending of the funds is not very transparent and goes largely unchecked resulting in it paying the many directors massive salaries - Some were on salaries as much as 150,000 - 200,000. Upon seeing the waste and lavishness of MSI I lost faith in the charity sector
    - Most organisations consider what they want to achieve and then conceive of the approach they want to take and employ resource as needed. MSI seemingly do this the other way round. Furthermore they are very good at using corporate speak to describe tasks and activities but pushed for details and they can't... There were too many staff really not doing much that was important
    - Top heavy organisational structure... it often seemed everyone was a director of something there...
    - Very corporate environment - like other corporations this is seemingly to give the impression they are in control but ultimately can be reduced to meaningless processes and buzz words - either way it has the effect of making the staff very inward looking
    - There is no sense of achievement in the London support office - in the time I was there I never really saw them achieve anything note worthy - though they emotionally celebrate things like their office being refurbished.... Lots of similarly titled teams working alongside each other (often on the same pieces of work - they wouldn't know) working on data that when scrutinised was often invalid. (I sat through presentations regarding market share and service projections yet when numbers were questioned nobody was ever sure of their validity)
    - The MSI staff have been brainwashed and so they over subscribe to an importance in their work without every questioning the real output and effectiveness of what they do. It was a very clique environment and despite meeting some amazing people there I found that there was too much bitchiness between the overwhelmingly female workforce to enjoy their company - everyone is trying to climb on each other there too.

Advice to Management

Resign.