Marie Stopes International

Reset
3.2
Marie Stopes International CEO Simon Cooke
Simon Cooke

Worked for MSS Pakistan - learnt a lot!

Pros

The project I was working on required interacting with very skilled qualified people from MSS London. I loved the capacity building.

Cons

Some managers do not have the qualifications to do their job well. Some are so insecure about their jobs they suppress talent in their own departments.

Advice to Management

Hire people with the right degrees who believe in investing and building talent, and not threatened by it.

2. Impressive mission and passion, lacking systems and rigorous evaluation of effectiveness

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Marie Stopes International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

MSI has a very specific niche in the reproductive health field. Their track record in terms of the provision of services is unparalleled. The geographic scope (where they work) is amazing and the staff are generally deeply committed to the organizational mission. Oversight to ensure that the quality of the services provided are up to standard is excellent

Cons

MSI London still has a lot of work to do in terms of orchestrating activities in the field. Each field office as a great deal of autonomy, which is good. Although managing the finances and personnel continues to be a serious challenge. The organization also attempts to take on too many new programmatic activities, accepting funding for areas that are outside of their field of expertise.

Advice to Management

Stick to the areas of strength (delivery of clinical sexual and reproductive health services). Tighten up financial controls and management systems to make sure that the quality standards are meet in all of the country programs.

quiet pleasant but little pay

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly environment and cultural sensitive

Cons

hostile working environment in South Sudan

5. Great opportunities for young development professionals, who also want broader business skills

Former Employee - Various in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Various in London, England (UK)

I worked at Marie Stopes International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to develop in any direction you want if you work hard and are committed to the mission. Working in approx 40 countries worldwide with plenty of opportunity to travel. Leader in its field that will leave you recognised as an expert.

Cons

Has faced many rounds of reorganisation lately and staff turnover can be rapid.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

6. Brilliant Ethos

Pros

MSI has a great ethos and everyone that I had contact with really tries to go the extra mile to achieve the best for the client. Well paid for charitable organisation.

Cons

Idealistic senior management seems to negate the efforts of the majority. Restructure is good if it is managed correctly and has a purpose.

Advice to Management

Better recognition of the effort made by staff would not go amiss.

7. If you can work somewhere else, better do that.

Current Employee - Counsellor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Counsellor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Marie Stopes International part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most nurses and doctors are really nice. If you work as bank staff, you can make decent money

Cons

Everything. Salary awful. Management terrible. Disorganised. no loyalty to staff

Advice to Management

Wouldn't know where to start

8. Communications Intern

Former Employee - Communications Intern in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

Great culture, positive people, professional managers, interesting tasks

Cons

I wish I could stay there after completing my internship

Advice to Management

Would be great if you gave an opportuniity to international students to join the conpany

9. Its an organization focused on delivery of reproductive health services to those that need them most yet can't afford.

Current Employee - Senior Project Accountant in Kampala (Uganda)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Accountant in Kampala (Uganda)

Pros

Its part of an International Organization hence one gets a lot of exposure to best practice especially in the fields of project service delivery and management.

Cons

As a not for profit organization, the reliance on funding from partners may sometimes have an effect on service delivery and also personal career progress.

Advice to Management

Management should keep up on reiteration of the organization's vision and goals to achieve more

10. Wonderful in the field

Current Employee - Director - Country Office
    Current Employee - Director - Country Office

I have been working at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MSI is an incredibly passionate place to work, and the two country programs I've worked for have been among the best and most effective NGOs in their fields. Both have great office cultures, with dedicated staff and lots of development opportunities for both local and expatriate employees. Both have been a lot of fun, with very flat management and dynamic working environments. Lots of excessive hours, but also lots of opportunity to grow and sink your teeth into the work. Very little bureaucracy at the field level - easy to get things done and innovate. Provides the opportunity to be on the cutting edge of public health work. Pay decent but not extravagant, which is as it should be. Lots of autonomy at country office level, which is good. Both programs have nurtured truly fantastic local talent. I've had the benefit of three incredible bosses in a row, who have been amazing for my development and for the programs they've led. I have had several roles here and I can say that they have each, successively, been the best jobs I've ever had, with the best boss I've ever had and working within the best team I've ever worked with.

Cons

Poor finance and monitoring systems at global level have let everyone down and have persisted for years. the organization is now several years into a constant restructure at support office, which is confusing and depressing for all involved. Changing roles internally is a nightmare due to a persistently useless London HR team. I love my job but every interaction with them makes me want to quit. Poor diversity policies, especially at support office. Lots of middle class, white male leadership and little appetite for change, or acknowledgment of privilege. A lot of "group think" on what being a social enterprise means.

Advice to Management

Nurture the passion in the field and make it easier for people to move between programs. Take local talent much more seriously, and push for it when needed. Address diversity, fix the People and Development team and take responsibility for the back office systems that should really be fixed by now.

11. Fast-growing organisation with big ambitions

I have been working at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's an exciting place to work, with big ambitions and plans for the future. The pay is pretty good for the sector and on the whole the people are a good, fun bunch. As there's plenty of growth, there's also plenty of opportunity for career progression and to broaden out skills. There's also great opportunity to work across different countries and regions, which has been a big plus for me. There's a big focus on delivering results and value for money, which I've found very inspiring, along with a collectively strong focus on the mission.

Cons

The organisation has grown rapidly over the last few years and some of the systems and processes haven't always kept pace with the growth, which can lead to frustrations - the IT system in particular needs some investment but that seems to be happening now.

Advice to Management

Invest in systems!

RSS Feed </> Embed