Marin Software

Updated February 6, 2015
3.5

Marin Software Chief Executive Officer David A. Yovanno
David A. Yovanno

Pros
  • For a medium-sized company in the Bay Area, I would say their work-life balance is fairly decent (in 8 reviews)

• 75 per diem while traveling on business, stocked kitchens, and great benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains as workforce increases (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management is not in tune with the organization as it continues to grow (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Going through a lot of change, adopting several new technologies.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Marin Software as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

If you have the initiative and are fortunate to be on the right teams, there is a good opportunity for learning new technologies and concepts
    Culture is laid back and comfortable
    Kitchen is nicely stocked

Cons

Process and management is not very stable, hard to determine best practices for design and implementation
    Legacy coders are long gone so developing on the old framework is very tedious
    Office space is open but crowded

Need more technical project managers, not product managers.

Feb 6, 2015Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for all that you did for our company! We hope you enjoyed your internship experience with us.
    As you may be aware, we are in the process of improving and updating our technology. While

Marin Software Austin

Current Employee - Lead Gen in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Gen in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

start up culture in an established company, things change for the market needs and keep me on my toes. Management very open to new ideas and gives honest feedback. Fun and smart colleagues to work with, extremely comfortable culture and office activities. I love coming to work, feels like working with friends or family. Onsight kitchen with plenty to eat for breakfast and lunch, office manager takes suggestions / input for new food ideas. I feel very motivated and supported by on site leadership, very open door policy. managers even give us their offices for calls or meetings when needed. no micromanagement, great opportunity for advancement to other roles and training.

Cons

i really wish we had 401k match, but heard its in discussion. departments need to share experience and collaborate more.

Feb 6, 2015Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for all that you do for our company! We’re so glad that you enjoy coming to work every day.
    As for cross-department collaboration, this is definitely in the works! One of the winning ideas
    ... More

Misogynistic promotion strategies and insanely high turnover

I worked at Marin Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

WFH is not a problem if you need the flexibility. Personal growth opportunities are pretty much non-existent. perks = kitchens with espresso machines, snacks, salads and sandwiches. In office happy hour once a month. Excellent views from SF office, great location, close to Bart. Commuter reimbursement up to 50%.

Cons

Very few women in management yet there are women who are clearly strong and highly skilled. They recently converted their PTO policy to unlimited/flex time then forced everyone to use their accrued vacation hours so they didn't have to pay them out. People were extremely upset for having their saved vacation time taken away. The onboarding process is terrible - i.e. all new hires are welcomed by a sticky note on their desks. The hiring manager, the hiring recruiter are non existent on someones first day at work. Recruiting/IT/HR are totally not in sync. Turnover is crazy high with key people as well as newbies. Sometimes people leave as early as 2 to 3 months.

Promotions: give more to women who deserve the role
    Compensation: award bonuses and raises when most other companies do
    Leadership: offer praise when you see someone leading another

Feb 6, 2015Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are disappointed to read that you did not feel that there were enough women in leadership here. We have several female directors and VPs ... More

turning complexity into disunity

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Coworkers are a genuine pleasure to be around; almost everyone gets along on a personal level. Free snacks and drinks. Good office locations, and a best in industry product offering.

Cons

Upper and middle management do not communicate across departments and teams. KPIs, processes, and metrics are constantly changing so it is impossible to perform accordingly. Management will commit to compensation and incentives that are never followed through with; consistency and follow through from middle management leaves much to be desired. Comp and incentives have been cut for sales teams except for upper management, and there is rampant turnover. Sales positions are luck of the draw and territories are not fairly allocated; reps that get only inbound leads have the same performance goals as those who source all of their own opportunities. Front line territories and kpis designed by middle mgmt, who does not understand the day to day of their teams, need to be seriously reviewed and revised by upper level management. Current processes are a quagmire, people are confused, frustrated, and moral is suffering.

Upper management, please make sure middle management's policies, that dictate the performance of front of the line are clearly communicated and in line with organization wide goals. Take into consideration the amount of work required in inbound vs. outbound roles and structure comp/performance goals accordingly. Don't make promises that you can't keep; follow through will go along way to build loyalty and trust with your teams. Please, for the love of god give us a little stability before the next process/operational overhaul.

Jan 29, 2015Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your experience here. Thank you for all that you do for our company!
    One of the objectives this year is to make sure that each individual, team, and
    ... More

Needs better management and proper direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Marin Software

Pros

The company is a leader in their specific vertical and you can use a number of resources from the US head office. Teams in the US are always willing to help global teams with any and all problems. The pay is decent and so are benefits.

Cons

Very poor regional management, work life balance is ok but there is absolutely no room for career progression/advancement or even proper training. People across all kinds of roles are just thrown into the deep end and expected to keep up to date and start performing for day 1. There is a considerable lack of internal processes and senior management keeps on talking about a singular vision that they have in mind and ignore every other problem within the company because the declining stock price takes precedence over every other issue.

Make more effort to retain employees. Provide more training and give them more reason to stay other than the standard pay check, because at the moment that is the only thing being provided at the moment.

Jan 29, 2015Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your experience here. We are very disappointed to hear that you did not find room for career progression with us. An HR initiative that we are actively working ... More

Fast decisions - super people - going places

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really competitive salary for a now-public company. Super nice and unpretentious people, I've never worked with so many ego-less and selfless people. Great culture without being cult-like. Open conversations, little or no moaning, people get on with it.

Cons

No matching 401K is the only thing that others offer and Marin don't

Stay lean and don't get too top-heavy. Feels just right as it is.

Jan 29, 2015Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your experience here. Glad that everything is working out! =)

Technical Specialist

I have been working at Marin Software full-time

Pros

People and attitudes they bring to work. Location. Flexibility

Cons

Communication (company wide) but especially between teams/departments

The interacting teams should really be aware of how each others' workflow. Sometimes there is a ping pong game with client communication. Some teams have knowledge the other doesn't that would be beneficial for both sides to be aware of.

Jan 29, 2015Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your experience here. We will bring your feedback regarding company-wide and cross-departmental communication to our VP of Human Resources. Thank you for all ... More

Growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is in an extended the growth phase, gives you options.

Cons

feels a little adhoc. Can get frastrating

Focus on figuring out what marin does an why

Dec 4, 2014Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your patience during this time of change! We appreciate your hard work. As the field of search marketing has been evolving from targeting key words to targeting audiences, Marin is ... More

Political atmosphere, high turnover with sudden departures, engineers keep their heads down.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marin Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong benefits, smart coworkers, great office location, execs can have title changes frequently if they complain enough,

Cons

Senior Management in ego fights with each other, lots of back-stabbing and they're invisible to engineering unless there's blame to cover up their own shortcomings. Customer Support is half the company - where's the investment to keep engineering talent?

Stabilize the company or you won't have anyone strong to build and sell the product. What steps are you taking to retain employees?

Dec 4, 2014Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Hello! As with many companies in a similar phase of development as Marin, we are experiencing a lot of change, including change in senior management. These changes have been very positive, especially ... More

Good Software, Nice People

Former Employee - Customer Success Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marin Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company office locations are great, the pay is competitive, and there are lot of young/smart people to collaborate with.

Cons

The company has seen a lot of turnover as of late which is a little worrisome. Seeing more stick around would help improve confidence.

Change is a natural evolution but more consistency would help improve morale and focus.

Nov 14, 2014Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback!
    And thank you for understanding that all companies must experience change. All of our changes are in an effort to lay a strong foundation for the future. We know