Marin Software Reviews

59 reviews filtered by

1. Growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is in an extended the growth phase, gives you options.

Cons

feels a little adhoc. Can get frastrating

Advice to Management

Focus on figuring out what marin does an why

Dec 4, 2014Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your patience during this time of change! We appreciate your hard work. As the field of search marketing has been evolving from targeting key words to targeting audiences, Marin is ... More

Good Software, Nice People

Former Employee - Customer Success Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company office locations are great, the pay is competitive, and there are lot of young/smart people to collaborate with.

Cons

The company has seen a lot of turnover as of late which is a little worrisome. Seeing more stick around would help improve confidence.

Advice to Management

Change is a natural evolution but more consistency would help improve morale and focus.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
    And thank you for understanding that all companies must experience change. All of our changes are in an effort to lay a strong foundation for the future. We know
    ... More

Poor leadership, low employee morale, high turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once a fantastic company that valued its employees, where there was collaboration and mentorship, where people believed in the vision, the mission and the leadership.

Cons

With a few key hires put into executive level positions who had no business being there, the company unraveled and there has been significant loss of talent and an overall malaise amongst those remaining at SF headquarters and in satellite offices, Chicago and New York.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately the horse has left the barn and the toxic environment that was created by leadership late last year has decimated many of the departments and has left them devoid of confidence in company management and outlook on the future

Dec 4, 2014Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback. Companies must experience change--especially in the immediate years after going public. All of our changes are in an effort to lay a strong foundation for the ... More

Political atmosphere, high turnover with sudden departures, engineers keep their heads down.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong benefits, smart coworkers, great office location, execs can have title changes frequently if they complain enough,

Cons

Senior Management in ego fights with each other, lots of back-stabbing and they're invisible to engineering unless there's blame to cover up their own shortcomings. Customer Support is half the company - where's the investment to keep engineering talent?

Advice to Management

Stabilize the company or you won't have anyone strong to build and sell the product. What steps are you taking to retain employees?

Dec 4, 2014Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Hello! As with many companies in a similar phase of development as Marin, we are experiencing a lot of change, including change in senior management. These changes have been very positive, especially ... More

You can find a better job, keep looking

I worked at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great SF location, plenty of smart and friendly coworkers, decent (but not great) benefits

Cons

My manager was an absolute nightmare and several people quit or moved out of his department to get away from him. Exec leadership knew he was a very poor leader yet did absolutely nothing about it.

Some departments are better than mine was, and deserving of 3 or maybe even 4 stars.

The product is considered best-in-class, but it's a very boring product and there is no innovation to really improve upon what the ad platforms build. You will never be passionate about working at Marin.

Advice to Management

Marin management never listened to advice, so no point putting any here.

Dec 4, 2014Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to give your opinion on this site. The number one reason why people leave a position is due to a bad experience with a manager. Our company is in a very hot space in ... More

Lots of turnover, boring product, but decent work-life balance

I worked at Marin Software full-time

Pros

Work-life balance. For a medium-sized company in the Bay Area, I would say their work-life balance is fairly decent. Usually I don't have an issue working just the expected 8 hours per day.

Unlimited sick leave + 15 days of PTO

Decent salary, decent kitchen/stocked fridge

Depending on your luck, you could have an awesome manager, tech lead and interesting projects.

QA get all the window seats

Not much in the ways of crazy politics, backstabbing colleagues, etc. In fact, I found quite a few friends here.

Cons

Almost no one works remotely and this is only done if you're sick. This is somewhat of an issue - although there is unlimited sick leave, there's often the expectation that we work from home while we are sick.

No 401k matching.

High turnover. A lot of the senior employees are leaving, leaving fewer people to mentor the new hires. This is made worse by the fact that Marin likes to hire new college grads who often need training, but lack the right mentors (since so many are leaving).

Not particularly Agile at all. There is often bureaucracy that stops Agile in its tracks, despite this not being a big company.

The micromanaging tendencies of a few have quite possibly led to more than one employee choosing to leave.

Certain teams are understaffed and overworked and Marin does not seem to be trying very hard to recruit in those areas. This should certainly take priority over hiring more new grads.

Advice to Management

Actively recruit some senior engineers who understand the tech stack well to replace those who are leaving.
    Get rid of people who simply micromanage and do not contribute to the product.

To address your concerns:
    We do allow people to work remotely if it is prearranged with their manager. It is the preference to work on-site as in-person collaboration is often more effective.
    As

8. One of the better companies in the bay area

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Significant number of opportunities for career cultivation. Most promotions come from within and transferring departments or roles is common.
    Great healthcare.
    Benefits are strong, I'm sure they'll get even better once we hit profitability.
    Convenient offices worldwide. All of them seem to be in great locations.
    Market leading product and improving.

Cons

The biggest challenge is the march towards profitability and how lean we have to be in client facing roles. It's not uncommon to handle 25-30 accounts, some people manage as many as 40. This really hurts our ability to deliver best in class service. As an employee, it's unfair at times because your clients don't see how under water you are and your reputation is on the line.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
    We're so glad to hear that you have enjoyed working with us thus far. All of our offices actually have a walkability score falling between 96-100 (with 100 being
    ... More

Growing company and a lot of opportunities

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Global company - 14 office across the world. Certain employees get to fly out to San Francisco for new hire training. They invest in their office spaces and employees - which means offices with great views in prime locations. Lots of cool perks like $75 per diem while traveling on business, stocked kitchens, and great benefits. Really cool offices and have a laid back atmosphere. Great training program and room to grow. Good work life balance. Rewarded for working hard. Fun events like sand volleyball leagues.

Cons

Competitive, they are known to fire people for underperforming (but that comes with any job). They do not match 401Ks. Parking can be expensive (but they pay for half of commuting and parking costs).

Thank you so much for your feedback!
    We're so glad to hear that you have enjoyed working with us thus far. Austin is definitely a very fun office to be part of.

Pretty Alright overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marin Software full-time

Pros

In my position, my boss is super nice and flexible, making for a very enjoyable work environment. The company also tries to do a lot of team building and fun activities.

Cons

In the multiple years I have been there I have not been given a raise of any kind, not even cost of living. I would have to move positions to get a pay increase and none of the other positions are nearly as flex. (And mgmt in osome positions can come off as a bit shady and are people I would not want to work for)

Oct 7, 2014Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback!
    Over the past year we have been implementing performance reviews which should lead to raises and promotions for those that merit them. Please reach out to HR if
    ... More

Growing company but lacks in many ways

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always very flexible, small perks, great location, strong product in the current market

Cons

Boring, dull workspace, not as good benefits as other startups in the area, not much of a culture in its community

Aug 11, 2014Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback!
    Your comment about not having much of a culture in its community is an interesting point and we would love to hear your suggestions about how we can improve it