Marina Maher Communications

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
3.2

Marina Maher

Good place to start your career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employee development system is very structured. You'll usually have a review once a year, including opportunities for raises and promotions. They're very good about helping you move forward in your career path and offer up a mentorship program between junior and senior staffers.

Cons

Really hit or miss depending on what team you're on. The dynamics very a lot and some teams can be a bit catty/political. I was lucky enough to be on a great team. Also, compensation for junior staffers is ridiculously low - but that's pretty much across the board in NYC agency life.

They do things the way they've always done things

I worked at Marina Maher Communications as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There are some very smart people that work there.

Cons

Not the most innovative. They stick with doing things the way they've always done.

Be more open to innovation.

They Shunned Me As I Wasn't Pretty

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a sorority with all the players - the main one being the oldest one in the room with her new still scratched onto the door

Cons

You work with all women - they look you up and down everyday - I am overweight but have a real specialty in health so they hired me - but everyday I hear comments about my weight even from the president

If you want all Barbie Dolls working for you fine - but hire them and stop hiring real people liked with curves

A great place to grow

Current Employee - Management Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have found MMC to be a warm, supportive environment where my managers truly want me to succeed. I have never felt competitive with any other staffers at my level and my success does not mean the failure of anyone else.

There is a good client roster and each account team is fairly autonomous. Senior management is very accessible and I would feel comfortable speaking openly with any senior leaders in my practice group.

Like most agencies, you get out of MMC what you put in. If you are an active member of the agency, try to interact with people beyond your account teams, participate in practice meetings, and help out with agency projects, you will do well.

Being proactive, speaking your mind, and being a team player are the keys to success.

Cons

There is definitely a distinct culture at MMC, but I happen to love it. Being a polished, detail-oriented professional is very important here.

The practice groups are a bit siloed. I'd love to see more cross-practice collaboration.

This place may as well be a sorotity

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Impressive client portfolio, award winning work, great resume builder

Cons

Some people love this place, some people hate it. It really depends on your personality. The dominantly female staff runs the agency like a sorority and places a huge emphasis on participating in internal committees and task forces much like the good old days of being on the sorority e-board. The people at MMC are extremely motivated and passionate, however only those who possess a 'live to work' attitude will succeed here. The hours are long, the pay is low, and work/life balance is constantly an issue.

To elaborate more on the sorority vibe that MMC gives off, they only recruit people who possess a specific 'MMC' look, the staff meetings literally feel like a chapter meeting and they hold bake sales to impress the lawyers in the building. They even support their own philanthropy. All of these things create extra work, are expected to be performed by employees in order to be promoted, and take time away from client projects....but that's no problem for the staffers at MMC who are completely fine with staying at the office well passed 8pm every night.

In summary, if you are a former sorority president who just isn't quite over her bake sale glory days, you're going to love this place. If not, you will definitely not fit in so you should probably skip the interview.

You definitely run a tight ship over there, my hats off to you but you need to start listening to your employees work/life balance concerns, everyone is on the verge of burning out.

great learning experience

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Marina Maher Communications

Pros

I interned at MMC for one summer. I would say the positives are that i learned a lot, nice people, great culture, fun work environment.

Cons

The program was a great experience. However some of the negatives were that there was not a lot of pay and long hours

Some advice i would have is to allow the interns to learn more in the other departments, rather than just the department that they are assigned to.

Great Place to Build A Career

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

MMC offers a great opportunity for learning and development. There are many talented people working on some of the largest women's Healthcare and Consumer brands. They also offer education at all levels to foster growth and take feedback from their employees seriously. Holmes Report voted MMC "best place to work" in 2010.

Cons

As with working in any high paced environment, tensions can flair, people may not always get along and work may not always go the way you want. But overall, this mostly female staff comes together to create groundbreaking work. Everyone is very passionate about their careers and clients.

none