Marine Biological Laboratory

Marine Biological Laboratory Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHR people are very helpful. Generally, everyone is very available.

ConsThe location is not very appealing for young scientists.

Awesome place to do science

ProsPeople here manage to be very dedicated to their work, while also laid-back, sane, and with a good sense of humor. Informal environment, even the brilliant senior PI's go on a first-name basis with students and dept. staff. The ocean is right outside our door.

ConsWoods Hole is not a lovely place to be in the winter -- freezing, damp and deserted.

Nice seaside location, scary lab safety standards

(Former Employee)

ProsGreat lab facilities, beautiful location on the seafront, good work/life balance

ConsThe safety standards in the labs were appalling -- gloves on all the door handles and computers, chemicals in the passenger elevators, summer people using food microwaves for toxic chemicals. YUCK. Also, parking is a pain, especially in the summer when most employees have to park off-site and take a shuttle (or walk a mile) to the campus. Woods Hole is seasonal, so there is not much going on in the surrounding area for most of the year, and it can be expensive to live there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get some better safety training and protocols in place! The standards at MBL are not up to par with a typical university. OSHA would have a field day at MBL.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you can keep the funding it's great

Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) Woods Hole, MA

ProsLocation is beautiful, nice close-knit community

ConsExpensive to live nearby, most is soft money

Advice to Senior ManagementMore options of solid funding

MBL

Senior Research Assistant (Current Employee) Woods Hole, MA

ProsLocation, Good Work Environment, Great People. There are many people here that are great to work with and when collaborations develop it helps all involved.

ConsExpensive area to live. Soft money institutions sometimes can be difficult for both lower and upper level scientists to succeed.

It was fine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Woods Hole, MA

ProsBenefits, salary, location, flex work hours

ConsNo on site parking in summer

Worked for Marine Biological Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!