Marine Credit Union

Mix of pros and cons.

Former Employee - Msr in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Msr in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union

Pros

*Met a lot of nice, caring people. I enjoyed most of the members and employees.
    *Dedicated HR team.
    *Good training programs.
    *Room for advancement.
    *I saw the climate (from upper management down to entry level employees) make some strides toward positive (versus negative) reinforcement while I was there.

Cons

*High tolerance for less than professional/ethical behavior.
    *Profit for the company and scorecard ratings for the employee (which are subjective) are the bottom line...at any cost.
    *Lack of candor and transparency, even though it is a supposed value of the company.
    *The people making major decisions are often not in touch with the very issues they are making decisions about.

Listen to the people on the front lines when you develop "best practice" policies.

Unethical Mess of a place to work

Current Employee - Member Service Representative I in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative I in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Cheap Benefits
    - You become close with your co-workers
    - Hired with little-no experience
    - Summer grill-outs/Noah's Ark Trips

Cons

- Sales, Sales, Sales- Everything is about the scorecard at this place. It doesn't matter if you rocked your sales the previous month, if you are not meeting the goals this month you better watch out.
    - Competitive (and not in a good way). The pressure to sell at Marine Credit Union is so intense that it causes employee's to turn on one another. It becomes a very "watch your back" environment, especially during slower months.
    - Unethical. The pressure to sell also causes unethical behavior. I kid you not, I saw a co-coworker trying to sell a checking account to a woman who was crying in the lobby because her husband had passed away. "Oh you need somewhere to put all that money you'll get for your dead husband? Well let me tell you my sale's pitch!". It was disgusting to watch.
    - Cold calls. When I was first hired there was no mention of doing any cold calling, but apparently we weren't selling enough so we started cold-calling our own members. Members do not appreciate this service. They were confused on why I was calling, there were upset that I was calling, and they were simply not interested in the product I was offering. In the last 8 months I was there doing cold calls, I had maybe 1 or 2 sales come out of it.
    - False promises and hope. The big wigs like to make the employees feel important by inviting them to sit down meetings with the CEO where we can discuss all of our beef with the company. Sounds great right? You leave the meeting feeling all hopeful and empowered until a few months later when you realize not a single thing has changed. None of the improvements that were offered by the front line employees were even considered being implemented.
    - Low pay. No bonuses or commission for tellers who are constantly being pushed to make sales. Basically, make the sale or be fired. Not much of an incentive.
    - Terrible rates. The rates on loans are astronomical, how anyone can afford them is beyond me. I felt like a dirty thief trying to up sell these products to people who can't even afford the loans they currently have. Savings accounts rates were also horrible. No incentive for people to bring their money to use.

Take what your employees are telling you and put it into action. You have a lot of hard working employees who truly care about the company and the members- listen to them, and treat them like the family you claim they are. Sorry for the pun but put your $$ where your mouth is.

Tons of lip service with nothing to back it up.

Former Employee - Msr
    Former Employee - Msr

I worked at Marine Credit Union part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got along really well with my coworkers and the members, and it was easy to get noticed by management if you did well.

Cons

Many.
    First and foremost, you have the service culture philosophy rammed down your throat during your week-long training session in La Crosse. (Is your family/job in Green Bay? Tough beans. You're still going to La Crosse for a week.) Once you get to your branch, you start learning that the service culture that you were told was so important is virtually nonexistent. The branch opens at 8, but do you want to come in and cash your paycheck? Tough. You have to wait until noon when the teller line opens and then pray you can make it before the doors lock again at 5. Want to see someone about a loan for a new car? Sure, but you have to make an appointment if it's before noon, because the doors are locked even though the branch is open, and you can forget about getting anything lower than a 5% rate. Good luck if you become a CLO and have to sell that to someone.
    Training is horrible. You learn the system during your week in La Crosse, then throw you in the deep end. Everything you learn about the products and services is all on the fly. I was a teller and didn't even know what a custodial account was until I left and started my new job.
    Everything is based on the scorecard. The scorecard tracks your sales. It's a very,very high pressure sales environment, and if you don't hit your numbers, you don't go anywhere in the company.
    If you are a part-time teller, get ready to make collection calls and cold calls for sales that you aren't going to receive incentives for. Yay!
    Lastly, if you DO stick it out and DO get to move up, get ready to move your whole life. The branches are SO spread out, it was not uncommon to see someone get promoted and have to move from Minnesota to Fondy or from Iowa to Suamico.

The whole company needs a total overhaul. It's not fair to expect miracles from the branch staff in order to cover the shortfalls of upper management at Monitor Street. You could drop your CEO (whom everyone reveres as a saint), close your eyes and spin your finger over an open phonebook, hire the first person your finger lands on as his replacement, and see monumentally better results.

Work hard and you'll go places... Maybe.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, great co workers, good pay, work hard and you may get noticed by senior management and move up.

Cons

Senior mgt needs to understand the field more, get a lot of lip service from senior mgt, lack of transparency and communication in mgt.

Communicate more, set clear expectations

Great Opportunities for Those Who Work Hard

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Excellent Benefits
    Family Picnic in Noah's Ark
    Holiday Party
    Free Lunches to show appreciation
    Company keeps growing year after year
    Lots of room for advancement - most branch managers started as loan officers.
    Job focused training and leadership training programs are great

Cons

The scorecard is challenging for some, but they have great training and mentoring programs to help new people.
    They could provide more time off to employees and sick time too.

Review work-life balance opportunities within the branches. Sometimes people don't feel they can take time off because it will impact their monthly scorecard numbers even if they are high performers. The branches have so much extra work (reports, solicit calls, etc) that are not directly customer focused which can make it difficult to be successful and also puts a lot of stress on the supervisors and managers.

Good place to work and lots of room for advancement

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company for advancement if you work hard. Upper management working hard to resolve organizational problems.

Cons

There are lapses in communication, much like other organizations. Management is working to resolve.

Reward employees for their hard work, do not pile more work on them. Control communication to the organization and some senior management needs to deflate their egos.

WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED IN 20+ YEARS!

Former Employee - Management in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people on the front lines who are trying to make a difference for the customers each day while working in horrible conditions. I would rather work trying to cure Ebola Virus patients than work at Marine.

Cons

The constant employee turnover ( about 40% EACH YEAR ) and the higher ups in the company want short term employees who they can get as much out of as possible and 'burn out' as quickly as possible. Interest rates on customers loans are normally really high ....like 15% -20%. Upper Management has no care for the employees.

It's hard to give advise to people who will not listen and don't care what the 'customer facing staff' have to say. One time I suggested about a possible improvement for the customers and the company and was told to basically 'shut up and keep my stupid ideas to myself'. If you are looking for a job where they value your input this is not the company for you.

Great resume builder, but they really don't care about their employees

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start without experience, you can move up quickly if you produce because positions always open up due to the high turnover. Most people who work here are great to work with. You develop sales skills FAST here because you are selling a far inferior product (very high rates). Good pay compared to industry.

Cons

Where to start? As many other reviewers have said they preach member service but they do not back that up with strategies they put in place. They give you no tools to help you succeed, all of your success is on you (which can be a pro as you learn to be independent quickly). VERY DEMANDING hours. At one point we were told a MINIMUM of 50 hours per week, and if you have a commute that give you no work/life balance at all. You can tell by the way you see employees treated here that upper management does not care about anything besides the bottom line. Training is a joke, which actually is not the fault of the trainers, they are expected to do too much in too little time.

Stop treating employees like they are disposible. It may be worth keeping your good employees with more work/life balance. This is supposed to be a credit union where the income comes back to its members, so take your insane profits and give it back to the members with lower rates AND BE OPEN ON SATURDAYS AND BEFORE 11 ON WEDNESDAYS!!!! Marine Credit Union is not supposed to be a finance company!!!!

Worst. Job. Ever.

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Willing to hire people with no finanical background. Easy to work your way up with little experience. Pay is okay. Benefits are okay.

Cons

Management is very shady and if you are not their friend outside of work, don't bother going for a promotion. They don't care about the members, they only care about making money. Monthly scorecards are impossible to meet. The training method used is "sink or swim". Very unproffessional compared to most banks!

The grass is not greener here ! Stay away. Unhealthy place to work.

Former Employee - Management in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can learn a lot before you get fired, but then try explaining that when you have to interview for your next job.

Cons

Per previous employees, 6% recommend this company to a friend. Turnover is ridiculous, stress is high. They set goals so 10% of the employees hit them, and the rest (90%) end up failing. I haven't read anywhere in any books where this philosophy works, but they keep trying, year, after year, after year.

The CEO runs this like a finance company, not a credit union. He often brags that one of his goals about 15 years ago was to be the head of a company where people were lined up at the doors to work here. Well, he got half of that right. They're lined up all right, TO GET OUT. The number of bad loans on the books here is staggering.......all because the DM's were trying to hit their scorecard goals to get bonuses.

Marine Credit Union Photos