MarineMax Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.3
MarineMax Chairman, President, and CEO William H. McGill Jr.
William H. McGill Jr.

Get Onboard!

Current Employee - Headquarters in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Headquarters in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would disregard the most recent complaint, I didn't get hired through any connections. I've worked all over the country and and since I transitioned my career with MarineMax two years ago, I couldn't be happier. It's true that boating success depends on the economy but MarineMax survived one of the most devestating recessions in history with flying colors. Don't believe me? Look at their quarter results. They just opened two more stores. But i'll break it down: Culture: The company culture is great here, especially if you truly love boating. HR is always putting on events to bring people together. My department managers organize happy hours for us. Wages: I've seen MarineMax offer a very competitive wage to talented people and truth is I'm making almost double vs. my previous employer in practically the same position. No complaints. Work-life Balance: Vacation time offered is average but the company is very flexible. I have had numerous issues pop up and they have allowed me to work from home or take half days without any objections. Vision: The owner's son is one of the most caring and genuine people I have worked with. He dishes out praise and takes the time to meet with other departments to see how employees are doing. I have always felt like a part of the team. Benefits: Standard healthcare but not terrible. I've had some great plans in the past where I've had to pay $0 but those plans are nonexistent these days. So far I've had no trouble getting the doctors I want. The employee stock option plan is a great incentive and their 401k plan is matches much better than I previously had.

Cons

Only con I would have is the holiday calendar. We get very little national holidays off but I can't really complain when they often let us out early on Fridays.

Advice to Management

The company is doing well, keep up the great work into next quarter!

This boat is in rough waters and sinking

Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Individual Contributor in Clearwater, FL

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay you market rate but health benefits are bad.

Cons

This is from headquarters: - People come and go. The turnover rate is high and people are fired on a whim. Those admins that were cool and friendly...all of the sudden poof and they're no longer with the company. Nobody talks about what happened. Employees that have been there for 5, 10, or even 20 years were suddenly let go. Sometimes they're replaced with a friend of the family (CEO) or someone with no clue and earning a lot less. - Seems like they're cutting every corner to save a penny. Christmas bonuses are nearly non-existent for regular employees and parties/events are the same. Executives on the other hand go on cruises and get rewarded very well. - Boating industry is very dependent on the economy. When things are bad, things are really bad. When things are good, things get slightly better. - They will constantly give you more work and ask you to work more hours if you are salary but raises are non-existent. - They have the worst health plan in the city and blame Obama for the rising costs that are shared with the employee. Doesn't make much sense.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your brother, son, cousin, friend, and instead hire some smart people with proven track record of success. Diversity is good.

Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at MarineMax (More than a year)

Pros

Great travel for work and team atmosphere.

Cons

Poor hiring of upper management.

It depends on your location

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits- a little expensive, but good coverage People- Co workers are great, locally and at the home office Hours- Variable schedule depending on weather Ability to be on the water, access to boats Great Customers....most are great peolpe

Cons

Fiefdoms on a regional basis..... napoleonic tendencies, with fascist overtones Refusal to make changes when needed....old relationships are more important than business decisions

Advice to Management

Rely on advice from location managers. Nothing changes until things change

6. Great place to work

Former Employee - Clean in North Atwood, KS
    Former Employee - Clean in North Atwood, KS

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good at scheduling and laid back management

Cons

Having to bottom clean a boat

Advice to Management

You guys are great

Multifaceted view of the retail side of the power boat industry

I worked at MarineMax full-time

Pros

Well paid, passionate team members, retains a mom and pop culture even though a very large business

Cons

short term goal oriented, not clear on strategy

Great company... focused on its people.

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Orange Beach, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Orange Beach, AL

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay Relocation Opportunities Large Dealer Network Strong Training Programs Great Brand Portfolio

Cons

The biggest struggle I faced was the competing agendas among top management (C-Level), regional presidents, and general managers in relation to my career development. The lack of communication between each level and myself is what led me to pursue other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Open up the dialog a little more with your employees who wish to take on additional responsibilities.

Overworked/Underpaid

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job. Good people who work hard.

Cons

Company does not repay loyalty, dedication, seniority. Hire people with no boating knowledge in at more money than current employees. One store may have 4 separate employees doing 4 separate jobs - -one store may only have 1 person doing all of those jobs.

Advice to Management

Treat loyalty with respect and reward dedication if you don't want a lot of turnover. Employees will stay if they are paid what they are worth.

10. Great Company with a Family Atmosphere

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Technician in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - IT Service Desk Technician in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at MarineMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who really care about what they do.

Cons

There are no issues in my opinion.

11. paid the bills, heavy turnover

I worked at MarineMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

chance to be on the water

Cons

turnover, you're just a cog in the machine

RSS Feed </> Embed