Marinello Schools of Beauty

CEO

Good place to work

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Marinello Schools of Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of leads. Management was friendly.

Cons

Raises were hard to come buy

Needs help @ Provo campus

I have been working at Marinello Schools of Beauty for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a great program, offer continuing education, benefits etc.

Cons

Provo campus is falling apart. Employees aren't trained in teaching students, not following the curriculum. Students have no respect for the educators/staff. Director can't support the staff because he's not informed enough to do so. It needs a lot of work.

Train your new employees, set a schedule, don't let the school set their own because that's where the night program has completely fallen apart. They barely teach classes, and the curriculum isn't followed. The regional management is intimidating and make it uncomfortable to go to training classes.

A Hot Mess

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor

I worked at Marinello Schools of Beauty full-time

Pros

nice co-workers. decent pay.

Cons

Most unorganized company ever. A very unprofessional place to work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They care about the students

Current Employee - Career Service Coordinator  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Career Service Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

The staff, admin, teachers, etc. all care about the students success.

Cons

Teachers could use more training in mock board, and need to be given inspiration that would transfer to the students as well

Teachers are the core of the company and need to be given continuing education, encouragment and insparation.

Fun, Exciting and never a dull moment!

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Marinello Schools of Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training, camaraderie between other instructors and employees, Module system for teaching consistency. Good Pay and benefits.

Cons

Students can be out of line and since they are 'customers' you are powerless to do anything. Students come in from breaks high and no way to handle it unless you catch them in the act of getting high. Applied efforts are not closely monitored.

Instructors should be rotated through the freshman, Junior and senior classes to prevent job burnout.

Most dysfunctional company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Educator
    Former Employee - Educator

I worked at Marinello Schools of Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

A paycheck. But the pay isn't even that good.

The company makes it really hard to say anything positive about them.

Cons

The company isn't even owned by people in the beauty industry.

They only care about making money.

They talk EVERYONE into enrolling even if they aren't passionate about this industry so it makes educating and encouraging the students harder.

They make teachers teach two different classes at the same time. So they are stretched thin and aren't able to give students enough one on one time.

Their lesson plans and teaching materials have errors in them.

The pay isn't worth it.

It's a vicious circle. You are enrolling students who don't give a crap about their education or this industry then holding your staff accountable for teaching them and making sure they show up to school. Maybe if you actually had a process where they are having to interview like it's a job and they have to be accepted not just enrolled you would get students who are more committed and passionate about getting their education. Everything else would fall into place. You would have less drops, better state board passing rates, more students enrolling because they would see passion in your school then you would be able to have a larger education team. Your staff is tired. You expect them to do a million things but when they request help there's so many excuses as to why there isn't help and why there can't be help and that's when you lose great educators. Stop worrying so much about the money aspect and start being passionate about educating the future of the beauty industry, once you do that the money will follow.

You guys have nothing better to talk about??

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

Pros

I wouldn't say something unless I really felt it seemed fit!
    Pretty sad that we are trying to create an environment that is all about how great our industry really is.. but you ever stopped and took a second to think about it.. Our industry is all about caddy people trying to knock other people down to get their guest that walk in the door! This is a perfect example of what the salon is really like, all of you that need the need to talk about how horrible the company is and and terrible the pay is, need to think about the bigger picture! You are helping people! No just any people but you are Bring a light to someones world, these students probably 85% of the time have come from places you could never even fathom! Some students see Marinello as a safe place, or as I've been told the Best part of their day! You should be ashamed of yourselves! I understand that we have lives outside of the" MARINELLO " name tag, but one thing they have taught be is to see the good inside everything and not to always pick out the negative. Im very sorry if you campus hasn't provided enough for you, But you should probably look within you to find your true dissatisfaction!

Cons

It is really hard to get your ideas to the higher up!

Treat your employees like gold.. because we truly are the ones that keep your school going!

Investors have changed the culture for the worse

Former Employee - Management  in  Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Whittier, CA

I worked at Marinello Schools of Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Assist students achieve dream of having a beauty industry career

Cons

Employees in management/Director positions lack leadership and skills

Realize that selling your company to the devil (investors) has changed the culture....a Marinello "family" where the employees matter, no longer exists

Fair

Former Employee - Student/Secretary  in  Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Student/Secretary in Concord, CA

I worked at Marinello Schools of Beauty as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The experience in customer service, handling money, and how to work the cashier

Cons

Sometimes it gets very hectic and can be very stressful

n/a

dream job quickly turned upside down…very desperate school

I have been working at Marinello Schools of Beauty part-time

Pros

- teaching those eager to learn
    - love my students
    - perks of receiving free services
    - helping students reach their goals

Cons

When I first started working for this company it was amazing. My tasks were always done and turned in early, and in order. Students were passing state board, my students attendance was the highest, and I woke up excited for work. Within the next couple months it turned sour. They brought me and another instructor in the room and said, we need one of you to decide right now who wants to keep their position. we both looked at each other, because it's not really fair to give us such a huge decision to make in that minute. They said one of us can sub at another campus an hour away due to low enrollment it at the school. So i decided i would, and It was an awful.

this school also used to have an entry test for students wanting to enroll, which filters out those who might be incapable of passing our tests, and the state board tests. This company is now so desperate for money they did away with any tests for enrolling, so we have students who can't pass ANY tests. Some of them can't even read right. in a staff meeting I brought up the fact that we are bringing these students in, and they aren't capable of passing the tests, therefore will fail state board. they won't have a job, and they'll be 22,000 in debt. they just told me it was our job to help them. which made our jobs even more difficult.

This school also will rarely drop a student. even if they aren't showing up, and will not do anything. no matter what rules the students will break, they keep them around, because of the $$.

The school then, upon returning to our campus and teaching the freshman cosmetology students, held another staff meeting. They let us know they do yearly reviews and that's when you send a request for any raise. They said nobody will be getting a raise this year so don't ask. they said they will also be calling us in one by one because we are letting some of you go and combining positions (without a pay raise)

The financial aid rep and the registrar had to compete for a combined position and made them basically reapply. They gave them two extremely hard positions, that are generally salary, and high paying positions- without a pay raise. They let go the registrar because she made more money. And since her job is so much to handle now, they have the instructors enter in all the students tests in the financial aid/registrar binder.

They combined the nail program in the evening with the cosmetology freshman class. making the teacher do double the programs, double the paperwork, double the students, double the stress, double the tests, double the mods, while keeping them separate but together, without a pay raise

The front desk receptionist is no longer there, having students work the front desk, which they don't pay, the students pay to be there but have to work somebodies position? weird. and when a student isn't doing it, the night time instructor on the floor has to check people in and out while being the only instructor on the floor- and as busy as he/she is with students and clients - has to play receptionist all at the same time- without a pay raise

The massage instructor is treated unfairly. nothing applies to her, when she needs something she's always last to receive help or solve any issues with the program she teaches. they don't offer her any material to teach off of, which makes her job extremely hard. the 4+ years she's been there, has only received less than a .25 cent raise!

While i love the director i work for, this is by far the worst and most unstable company i've worked for. they want so many students to enroll, with top not instructors but refuse to pay them more than what they started at.

your techniques do not work. don't expect the amazing instructors you do have, to stick around.

Worked for Marinello Schools of Beauty? Contribute to the Community!