Marinello Schools of Beauty

www.marinello.com

Marinello Schools of Beauty Reviews

Updated May 31, 2014

They care about the students

Career Service Coordinator (Current Employee) San Bernardino, CA

ProsThe staff, admin, teachers, etc. all care about the students success.

ConsTeachers could use more training in mock board, and need to be given inspiration that would transfer to the students as well

Advice to Senior ManagementTeachers are the core of the company and need to be given continuing education, encouragment and insparation.

Fun, Exciting and never a dull moment!

Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsTraining, camaraderie between other instructors and employees, Module system for teaching consistency. Good Pay and benefits.

ConsStudents can be out of line and since they are 'customers' you are powerless to do anything. Students come in from breaks high and no way to handle it unless you catch them in the act of getting high. Applied efforts are not closely monitored.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstructors should be rotated through the freshman, Junior and senior classes to prevent job burnout.

Most dysfunctional company I've ever worked for

Educator (Former Employee)

ProsA paycheck. But the pay isn't even that good.

The company makes it really hard to say anything positive about them.

ConsThe company isn't even owned by people in the beauty industry.

They only care about making money.

They talk EVERYONE into enrolling even if they aren't passionate about this industry so it makes educating and encouraging the students harder.

They make teachers teach two different classes at the same time. So they are stretched thin and aren't able to give students enough one on one time.

Their lesson plans and teaching materials have errors in them.

The pay isn't worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a vicious circle. You are enrolling students who don't give a crap about their education or this industry then holding your staff accountable for teaching them and making sure they show up to school. Maybe if you actually had a process where they are having to interview like it's a job and they have to be accepted not just enrolled you would get students who are more committed and passionate about getting their education. Everything else would fall into place. You would have less drops, better state board passing rates, more students enrolling because they would see passion in your school then you would be able to have a larger education team. Your staff is tired. You expect them to do a million things but when they request help there's so many excuses as to why there isn't help and why there can't be help and that's when you lose great educators. Stop worrying so much about the money aspect and start being passionate about educating the future of the beauty industry, once you do that the money will follow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You guys have nothing better to talk about??

Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsI wouldn't say something unless I really felt it seemed fit!
    Pretty sad that we are trying to create an environment that is all about how great our industry really is.. but you ever stopped and took a second to think about it.. Our industry is all about caddy people trying to knock other people down to get their guest that walk in the door! This is a perfect example of what the salon is really like, all of you that need the need to talk about how horrible the company is and and terrible the pay is, need to think about the bigger picture! You are helping people! No just any people but you are Bring a light to someones world, these students probably 85% of the time have come from places you could never even fathom! Some students see Marinello as a safe place, or as I've been told the Best part of their day! You should be ashamed of yourselves! I understand that we have lives outside of the" MARINELLO " name tag, but one thing they have taught be is to see the good inside everything and not to always pick out the negative. Im very sorry if you campus hasn't provided enough for you, But you should probably look within you to find your true dissatisfaction!

ConsIt is really hard to get your ideas to the higher up!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like gold.. because we truly are the ones that keep your school going!

Investors have changed the culture for the worse

Management (Former Employee) Whittier, CA

ProsAssist students achieve dream of having a beauty industry career

ConsEmployees in management/Director positions lack leadership and skills

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that selling your company to the devil (investors) has changed the culture....a Marinello "family" where the employees matter, no longer exists

Fair

Student/Secretary (Former Employee) Concord, CA

ProsThe experience in customer service, handling money, and how to work the cashier

ConsSometimes it gets very hectic and can be very stressful

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

dream job quickly turned upside down…very desperate school

Pros- teaching those eager to learn
    - love my students
    - perks of receiving free services
    - helping students reach their goals

ConsWhen I first started working for this company it was amazing. My tasks were always done and turned in early, and in order. Students were passing state board, my students attendance was the highest, and I woke up excited for work. Within the next couple months it turned sour. They brought me and another instructor in the room and said, we need one of you to decide right now who wants to keep their position. we both looked at each other, because it's not really fair to give us such a huge decision to make in that minute. They said one of us can sub at another campus an hour away due to low enrollment it at the school. So i decided i would, and It was an awful.

this school also used to have an entry test for students wanting to enroll, which filters out those who might be incapable of passing our tests, and the state board tests. This company is now so desperate for money they did away with any tests for enrolling, so we have students who can't pass ANY tests. Some of them can't even read right. in a staff meeting I brought up the fact that we are bringing these students in, and they aren't capable of passing the tests, therefore will fail state board. they won't have a job, and they'll be 22,000 in debt. they just told me it was our job to help them. which made our jobs even more difficult.

This school also will rarely drop a student. even if they aren't showing up, and will not do anything. no matter what rules the students will break, they keep them around, because of the $$.

The school then, upon returning to our campus and teaching the freshman cosmetology students, held another staff meeting. They let us know they do yearly reviews and that's when you send a request for any raise. They said nobody will be getting a raise this year so don't ask. they said they will also be calling us in one by one because we are letting some of you go and combining positions (without a pay raise)

The financial aid rep and the registrar had to compete for a combined position and made them basically reapply. They gave them two extremely hard positions, that are generally salary, and high paying positions- without a pay raise. They let go the registrar because she made more money. And since her job is so much to handle now, they have the instructors enter in all the students tests in the financial aid/registrar binder.

They combined the nail program in the evening with the cosmetology freshman class. making the teacher do double the programs, double the paperwork, double the students, double the stress, double the tests, double the mods, while keeping them separate but together, without a pay raise

The front desk receptionist is no longer there, having students work the front desk, which they don't pay, the students pay to be there but have to work somebodies position? weird. and when a student isn't doing it, the night time instructor on the floor has to check people in and out while being the only instructor on the floor- and as busy as he/she is with students and clients - has to play receptionist all at the same time- without a pay raise

The massage instructor is treated unfairly. nothing applies to her, when she needs something she's always last to receive help or solve any issues with the program she teaches. they don't offer her any material to teach off of, which makes her job extremely hard. the 4+ years she's been there, has only received less than a .25 cent raise!

While i love the director i work for, this is by far the worst and most unstable company i've worked for. they want so many students to enroll, with top not instructors but refuse to pay them more than what they started at.

Advice to Senior Managementyour techniques do not work. don't expect the amazing instructors you do have, to stick around.

This job is good for those who don't mind being treated like a robot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people you work with are nice...that's all there is.

ConsBad pay, some employees expected to work on their lunch breaks, use of personal cell phone without reimbursment at all hours of day, dirty building and filthy restrooms. Supervisors are only after pleasing their higher ups, even if that means crushing their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. They don't listen.

It's like running on a treadmill while someone holds a cookie in front of you, that you'll never get to enjoy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chico, CA

Pros- free services by students
    -was fortunate enough to work under a good director (besides, all of the crap she had to deal with and tell us to do was from corporate)
    -liked my coworkers

Cons- i won't be surprised if the company starts closing down schools at the rate they're cutting employees
    - very inconsistent- never knowing if I will have a job the next day
    -complete lack of structure, consistency and guidance
    -no repercussions for staff or students
    -favoritism
    -no raises given
    -unfair salary/wage distribution within company
    -low morale
    -no room for growth
    - will keep an instructor working no matter how terrible
    - what you do is never enough. you will never be rewarded for an amazing job, instead when you get the hang of your job, the second you feel content they will add more jobs to your task
    - company keeps cutting jobs and making employees do more than two jobs without a raise.
    - the company keeps cutting everything, but trying to gain students. in their eyes, students are just cash cows.
    -company does not care about you as an employee. they want top notch instructors but will not give you any incentive (except after 3 years of working for them you get a "cool" marinello writing pen)
    -very corporate oriented business. it's not about the hair industry at all, its about them getting money in their pockets, and its obvious to even the students.
    - as an instructor i felt like a huge hypocrite telling students they were getting an education worth their money but it's not. 22,000 for a school who doesn't even have a proper working educational system, is not worth it. I can't lie to students anymore. honestly, this school is awful.
    - they change their system on how and what we're supposed to teach, so often it gets confusing
    - adding two programs in a class that is already part time does not work
    - school owners never worked in the salon industry so they have no clue what works and what doesn't

Advice to Senior Managementstop being greedy. compensate your instructors generously for what they have to put up with. stop cutting so much so you can have even more- having one instructor for two different programs does not work, and you aren't giving students their paid education for having to share an instructor when they're already part time students. it's not fair. this is by far the worst company i have ever worked for. it's sad really.

Poor leadership moving in the wrong direction

Instructor (Former Employee) El Cajon, CA

ProsI loved the students and see them grow and learn. It was/is rewarding to hear from my students who have passed the board. Patrina Calmese (sp?)was amazing to work with. She is a woman that knows her stuff and is willing to flex when necessary! She really understood this isn't a black and white world. Buzz wolf also knows what the hell he is talking about but he is the HR director so I only know about that from speaking to him about the directors rude calls to my phone after leaving the organization and his ability to backpay me for hours that were illegally adjusted by the director of the campus.

ConsThe students are just cah cows. The school over promises and under delivers and when you try to teach out and help as an instructor you get reprimanded. Too many students in a classroom with teachers that have very little or very poor real world salon experience. When you speak your mind you are shut up and punished.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the idea that those who can't do, teach. The students leave there with poor salon experience and they aren't learning what is going to push them to the front of the industry. Remove the direct link to the school director for the students. Students should be able to go to their instructors to remedy issues they are having without burdening the directors schedule with meetings. I spoke to my director maybe once in passing.

Worked for Marinello Schools of Beauty? Contribute to the Community!