Marinette Marine Reviews

Charles Goddard

1. Learning curve that helped me evolve to a higher professional

Former Employee - Former Employee in Marinette, WI
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Marinette, WI

I worked at Marinette Marine (More than 3 years)

Pros

autonomy of tasks, having a voice at the table, high degree of business plan involvement

Cons

Union was extremely difficult to work with; manufacturing managers were as well.

2. Thank You Italy

Former Employee - Quality in Marinette, WI
    Former Employee - Quality in Marinette, WI

I worked at Marinette Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mid to Lower management trying to make a difference in a very unstable environment.
    The Marinette people do care and do take pride in the product.

Cons

Lets try to sum this up:
    No financial stability - Fincantieri (Italy) is funding the pay roll for 3 years; Has not posted a profit in the last 6 years.
    You have an Italian goverment that owns Marinette Marine trying to teach the locals how things are done in Italy (Not good practice).
    The US Navy contract is owned by Lockheed Martin that has never produced a profitable ship yard but has closed many.
    The Supship personel that over see everthing are from Bath MA. with a true Goverment big bother attitude.
    Gibbs & Cox that just are stuck in the 80's as far as designing ships for the US goverment.
    I saw Subcontractor producing from designs that have not been updated for years.

Now you take all these individuals of experts in building ships and try to come up with an agreement with a New COO from Ford motor company of how to produce a US Navy Vessel.
    It's also the only Place were local subcontractors were threatened with thier lives if they didn't deliver on time; Why because that's the way the do it in Italy.
    Not a formual for sucess.

Advice to Management

Quit fooling yourselves and step down. Your egos are going to cause you to lose the contract to your competitor.
    Clear house with Upper management, save some money with replacements, run it like a business and employ people that know good manufacturing practices.

3. Dust in the wind

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marinette, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marinette, WI

I have been working at Marinette Marine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this place of employment.

Cons

- You VS US mentality
    - Unbalanced, Unfair, Wages
    - Complete lack of training
    - Constant in yard fighting
    - Lazy, unethical, racist workforce
    - Complete lack of respect for workforce

In all the years I have been working, I have never worked with worse co-workers then I have at MMC. If they aren't destroying equipment or stealing it, they are spitting on floors, welding razor blades to stair railings or cutting gas lines as "jokes". Falling asleep in the bathroom, or eating lunch in the bathroom is a common thing.

The training program there is a complete joke, they have a weld school no one takes advantage of, but then wonder why so many of their employees are incompetent. They hire on "helps" that are supposed to be trained for other jobs in the ship yard, but are usually seen just sweeping the floor.

The wages in the yard are a joke, you have self entitled people who have been working there 30 years making close to $30.00 an hour, who don't do anything and hogs all of the over time, while new people in the yard, who actually do their jobs are making less then $10.00 an hour and can't seem to make a break. What's even more wasteful is we have senior employees who are on "permanent" light job duty, being paid insanely high wages that just sit in a single, air conditioned room all day, while lesser paid, better trained, harder working employees are out in the yard sweating their butts off.

While I feel the new CEO has good intentions she has a "keep it in the family" mentality I don't agree with, we are strongly encouraged never to vocalize negative opinions or information to anyone and simply stay quite, much like an abusive relationship.

While the yard struggles to make a profit, HR and the CEO are more worried about printing off fliers and magazines patting themselves on the back then actually doing something to improve workshop morale. It's amazing to think the yard has lot millions of dollars a year for the last five consecutive years, but it's really important that the entire yard is equipped with yard wide wifi and every lunchroom has a flat panel 1080p television running propaganda on it 24/7.

The reality of the situation is that unless major changes are made, both with the workforce, training, management and HR, this ship yard won't be open in the next couple of years, crippling the economy of our area.

Advice to Management

Constant in house fighting with the union is uncalled for and frankly until you fix union relations, you aren't going to get anything done properly. How about you start treating us like people instead of slaves?

5. welder

I worked at Marinette Marine

Pros

passing weld test and x-ray test at NWTC in Marrinette.

Cons

Once you pass your test your sent out in the yard where they don't train you. Good Ole Boy system. Hardest job I ever worked at. All welds have to be perfect no flaws what so ever. Hard to do when no one is showing you what they want or show you the wrong way. Very high turn over.

Advice to Management

stop production and build from the ground up on everything.

Worst company I ever worked for.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Marinette, WI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Marinette, WI

I have been working at Marinette Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None worthy of public mention.

Cons

Horrible management. I've alway excelled in every company I've worked for except for here. They beat down their workforce continuously. MMC is in huge financial trouble. Fincantieri is paying payroll out of pocket because they can't sustain themselves. Not a bright future here.

Advice to Management

Change your poor culture and stop being part of the problem. Listen to the guys building the boats. They know their jobs better than you do.

7. Best recreation of a Siberian slave labor camp ever.

Former Employee - Not Saying in Marinette, WI
    Former Employee - Not Saying in Marinette, WI

I worked at Marinette Marine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't any. If you have to live in the area, then it's a possible place to work.

Cons

Terrible pay.
    Next to non-existent raises: 2% raise in 4 years of hard labor.
    Arduous review process that measures nothing. And it doesn't affect your pay so who cares.
    Little to no possibility for advancement.
    Spirit crushing workload and working environment.
    Constant policy/procedure changes assures no one knows what to do or what the status of anything is.
    Constant policy/procedure changes means your work scope changes every day, usually getting larger.
    Lack of skilled labor. (My apologies to the few guys that know what they're doing.)
    High number of contractors with little accountability.
    Friction between all departments. I'm not exaggerating.
    Myopic management with little accountability for their decisions.

Advice to Management

I don't consider management worthy of my advice much less the positions they hold and the salaries they earn.

8. Unprofessional management

I worked at Marinette Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to home
    very nice receptionist

Cons

to get IT to assist with anything was like pulling teeth...
    alot of swearing from managers
    a lot of the managers didn't get along with each other...back stabbing
    hostile work environment
    did not work as a team

Advice to Management

Teach your managers how to act and how to treat each other with respect. A manager should not be allowed to sit in his office and scream out the "F" bomb serval times a day.

9. engineer marine

I worked at Marinette Marine

Pros

good folks good work and interesting work

Cons

cold climate in wisconsin for most of the year

10. Disappointing

Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Marinette, WI
    Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Marinette, WI

I worked at Marinette Marine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent health benefits with onsite medical, chiropractor and physical therapy. Excellent vision and dental benefits. Promising industry. Ample vacation/personal days.

Cons

Unprofessional attitudes from those in leadership roles. Too much conflict of interest between leaders. Inability to properly handle harassment and bullying. Most employees look at their days to see what is in it for them and will stop at nothing to further themselves regardless if it is best for the company or not. Far too many double standards.

Advice to Management

Conduct proper investigations. Review all accusations of misconduct and ensure there is specific proof. Enforce a warning system for issues of misconduct in which all parties are made aware and sign off. All leaders must notify HR immediately of any reports of harassment or bullying. Keep leaders in check and ensure their interests are best for the company. Enforce penalties for conflicts of interest and double standards.

11. living in hell

I worked at Marinette Marine full-time

Pros

Good Health Benefits, saying I quit

Cons

If you are salary you are screwed. Management will work you 12 hour days whether there is work or not because they can. The ones that work the 12 hour days and know what they are doing get no appreciation. The ones that work 8 hours and know nothing well continue to know nothing and work 8 hours. Management is so unorganized and treat their employees like rags. No incentives for work done well. It is a sweat shop and if you are smart you will stay far away from this company. Right now it is the Italians who own the company putting their twist on it which gets no good results and the Union Contractors fighting with the non union contractors. There is no team playing and as said before no training. You get no training but if you make a mistake they will march you up to HR and say you are not a good learner. Worst Company I ever worked for. However also as said before the best CON was calling up and saying I am not coming back. They will kill you, step over you and work the rest of the crew that much harder.

Advice to Management

Smarting up. Your employees is what makes the Company work. Treat them better.

RSS Feed </> Embed