www.marinettemarine.com Marinette, WI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles Goddard

Marinette Marine

ProsCoworkers and work opportunities that were provided

ConsStressful work enviroment and pay

Marinette Marine

Ship Fitter (Current Employee)
    Marinette, WI

ProsGood Place to work need to change production culture

ConsLazy Work Force union employees have advanced and can not do the job much in part due to the union ,union members feel they can do as they please .Most will do what they can do to slow the job down . Most of management just lets things happen so they have no conflict . Creating an even bigger problem .Most of manage will not exert any force due to the low wages they earn and the ones that do try and do their job have a constant battle with trying to keep employees on the job .If the Union wants to help cultivate a different culture and help the company improve then they need to sit down and discuss the problems and start changing

Advice to Senior ManagementStart taking care of your front line supervisors and pay them what they are worth .

good

Welder (Former Employee)
    Marinette, WI

Prosregular work, steady work welding

Consthere are no cons for this job

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A shipyard that may be sinking fast.

Pros+ Union Based Shop
    + Good Wages Depending on Trade
    + Good Benefits and Health Care

If you are already a highly skilled tradesmen, this can be a great place to work, they offer halfway decent wages and offer good benefits for union members. They offer things such as on site health care and free chiropractic sessions off site.

Cons- US VS "You" Mentality
    - Complete Lack of Training
    - Unprofessional Employees
    - Complete Lack of Accountability
    - Constant Fighting in Union and with Company
    - Constant Change within company and employee structure

There is constant in house fighting, either within the union or with the contractors or with the company itself (IE Human Resources). It seems like the only time the company corrects a problem or issue is when they are served a grievance from the union.

They hire new people or bring in contractors with very little or no work experience and expect them to adsorb work experience as if you were some sort of parasite or amoeba.

If you are coming in new or with very little work experience, don't expect to get a lot of training. The older employees don't want to share information with new people and the company doesn't want to pay for training.

Although it's supposed to be a union shop, currently sub-contractors out number actual union shop employees. Many of these sub-contractors know less then the actual employees.

Most if not all of the employees are very unprofessional. There is a lot of work tool theft, graffiti and racism floating around the work place in the shipyard itself. It's not unusual for someone to steal your tools, or your lunch or anything else that isn't nailed down.

The company is constantly changing the way everything is handled, they are always trying to find things that "work" instead of trying to fix the things that are broken.

There is a complete lack of accountability within the shipyard, employees can damage $80,000.00 worth of equipment, but no one is caught or disciplined over it.

As of 9/27/2013 there has been several instances of employees within the yard directly endangering their fellow co-workers by something that can only be described as sabotage. Luckily no one has been hurt or killed, but no one has been caught yet either.

The company would like everyone to believe that they are doing great and are a viable company, all while dumping millions of dollars into the company without turning a profit. As of right now MMC is still "figuring out" the process. I am concerned that our jobs will still be here within the next 3 to 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating the union like criminals, stop forcing them to file a grievance every time they need something to get done. The union would work more with the company with the company would stop alienating the union for a few seconds.

Provide training for your employees. HR wonders why stuff gets broken or damage or because there is sub-par work in the ship yard, the reason is simple, because you don't train your employees and you don't properly test people coming into the yard.

Terrible Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Marinette, WI

ProsAs the area's largest employer, the company provides income for skilled and unskilled employees who are willing to tolerate the abuse for the reward of living in an otherwise pleasant community and region.

ConsVery bad culture of abusing employees. Very unprofessional at multiple levels within the organization and a cover-your-butt mentality paralyzes all decision-making activities. Certainly worth investigating whether this company's treatment of employees is a contributing factor in some recent suicides & murder.

Advice to Senior ManagementCongratulations -- you have done a fine job of running many of the competent employees out of the organization. With a little more effort and a committed focus on a single shipbuilding market, you will soon be able to run the company into the ground in much the same way that you have guided some recent vessels into the ground.

Poorest of Leadership accross the board I've ever been associated with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Marinette, WI

ProsI got to leave on my own terms. The best thing I can say about Marintte Marine Company is I got to see it in my review mirror as I drove away.

ConsIf you like being demoralized, humiliated, put down in front of you peers and talked to like a toddler then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the President/CEO of the company and VP of Manufacturing. Stop the yelling and belittling of mid managemnt in front of their peers and let the people go home on Saturdays to be with their families.

A very chaotic, dysfunctional, and harsh company environment that is set by a lack of leadership.

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Marinette, WI

ProsPeople are proud to work there in the sense that they are a part of such a large project and that they are connected to our armed forces and like industries.

Cons0 communication.
    0 leadership.
    0 planning.
    A company where morale is very low, frustration is high, and where company achievements and contributions are not appreciated.

challenges are commmon, pay does not represent a natioal market

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Marinette, WI

ProsPride in the product we build

Consthe HR department doen not respon to the individuals that live in the area.

Advice to Senior Managementhr must come in line with the national hiring proctices. we must grow and hr is not helping in that process.

Worked for Marinette Marine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marinette Marine reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marinette Marine CEO Charles Goddard. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Marinette Marine employees.