Marist College

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis J. Murray

Wonderful place to get an education and some part time jobs available

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsI worked as a part time employee since I was a student, and they were very accommodating to my schedule each semester. When I was in a position that I didn't particularly enjoy, they worked with me to find something better. Everyone is a pleasure to work with because everyone loves marist and their jobs.

ConsThere really are no cons, Marist is the best.

Beautiful Campus. Great to work there as a stepping stone. But as a career you'd need to be a professor or coach.

IT Department (Former Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsIncredibly gorgeous campus. High level of tech competence and availability. Most classrooms are wired for lots of multimedia. Students tend to come from affluent areas. Campus is rarely site of parties or crime, so the main campus is kept usually clean and pristine.

The school seems to spend a considerable amount of its annual operating budget on creating new facilities or updating new facilities. Even constructing new buildings quite often. It is obvious that the money coming into the school is spent on productive endeavors and not often wasted.

ConsImmediate surrounding areas are crime havens. Expect to commute if you are an employee as living in close proximity to the campus is a severe risk. The inner city of Poughkeepsie is a horrible area to live in or near.

Parking is horrible. Especially during the winter. Unless you have a reserved parking spot expect to be competing with students for parking near where you need to be.

A model of mediocrity.

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsPretty campus, lots of money is spent grooming the campus daily. Many new buildings, recent stonework and gates at the entrances, new cafeteria, new facades on older buildings make the campus look like older, more established institutions.

ConsAppearances are important to this institution. While the college has an appearance of high standards, it is run as a business model that is akin to the for-profit institutions a la University of Phoenix or Capella, rather than an academic model.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are issues of leadership that emanates from your Board of Directors. Stop hiring graduates as instructors that only perpetuate the issues at hand, particularly the low academic standards alluded to above. Hire from outside, not from within. Raise academic standards, not executive pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsGood place to work. Good environment where people work hard at their jobs. The work-life balance is good.

ConsCompensation is not great and there has been little room for pay raises. You are aware of this going into the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more receptive to your employees or at least seem like you are. Not everything has to be done at the last minute.

Great!

Tutor (Former Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsMarist provides a wonderful working community and room for growth.

ConsThe pay and the disorganization was sometimes an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and listening

Great college, great experience

Help Desk Level II (Current Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsGreat supervisors, someone is always there to help.

ConsNo raises in work study.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

A constant reminder of why I chose this school.

Admissions Office Assistant (Current Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsThe people are a team, and everyone is friendly. There are so many opportunities to try something new. The college runs on the hard work of us students.

ConsThere is very little room for raises in pay. I understand that other costs take preference, but there is some disparity in what students in certain positions are paid.

Wonderful place to work!

Admissions Office Assistant (Former Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsWorking at Marist proved to be the most beneficial thing I could have done in my career! The people (in all departments across campus) are great. It really feels communal. Big pro, there are always career advancement opportunities and they look within to promote.

ConsI can't say I have a con as far as having an office job at Marist. I will say at times communication between departments can get a bit "hazy" but what do you expect from a college. And although I didn't work as a teacher I know some people who were unhappy with the teaching department.

Good but not great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to take classes for free, very laid back work environment, nice people, helpful, great community and campus.

ConsSlow processing, many departments have many hiccups and errors in paystubs, registration, etc. Low salary, low recognition for good work.

Terrible pay, but nice location and great students.

Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsSmart students
    Pretty and safe campus
    Moderately well-equipped clasrooms

Cons"Entitled" students (my dog ate my homework but you'll take it right?)
    Very low pay per class - quite a bit lower than all local community colleges

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your adjuncts more money. The students are paying an arm and a leg in tuition... compensate your instructors accordingly.

Worked for Marist College? Contribute to the Community!