Maritz Research Reviews

Updated March 15, 2015
110 reviews filtered by
2.1
Michael Brereton

Pros
  • The people are some of the best you'll find anywhere; flexible hours; a good company for people with families (in 12 reviews)

• Easy work, might let you work from home, casual dress code (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not appear to listen to the voices of those in the trenches every day (in 7 reviews)

• Poor senior management making decisions based solely on the bottom line (in 6 reviews)

You get out what you put in.

Current Employee - Call Center Interviewer in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Call Center Interviewer in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Maritz Research part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule.
    Come in for overtime whenever.

Cons

Very mentally challenging to just sit and say the same script over and over.
    Break time is limited.

Worst part time home based job that I ever had.

Former Employee - Work From Home Phone Interviewer
    Former Employee - Work From Home Phone Interviewer

I worked at Maritz Research

Pros

Working from home. It was nice working from the comfort of home.

Cons

You had to be glued to your seat on the phone at all times. You could not get up and go to the bathroom or drink water after finishing a survey. The management is very strict about following the script. The dialer did not work properly half of the time. The supervisors over schedule on some surveys and under schedule on others. They also wait until the last half hour to email the schedules. You also get very nasty customers or respondents who will curse at you for no reason. I had to call on a lot of customers in the south and they get really nasty and irate if you call past 8 pm. I guess people down south go to bed really early. I also thought that the training was poor. When I first started, they told me that I did not need to purchase a headset phone, they would send one to me. Well, they send out the headsets late. The 1st day that I took calls, I had to use my regular land line phone, which is a trim-line style. I had to hold the receiver in my hands and type at the same time. They should have sent me a phone a week before I actually started, since I told them that I did not have a headset style phone. The management at this company is very inept and incompetent. During the training, they try to cram everything in one long 8 hour session. I think the training should have been broken up into two 4 hour sessions.

Get better management, fix the dialer system, and be more organized when it comes to scheduling callers. They need to revamp the training and allow home based callers to work 15 hours minimum instead of 20 hours.

Terrible company to work for. Bad management.

I worked at Maritz Research part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working from home part time, evening hours. Able to make your own schedule so long as you work the 20 hour minimum, with 4 hours on Saturday.

Cons

Terrible management, awful training, phone dialer doesn't work most of the time. I worked for maritz as a home based phone interviewer. The phone dialer would slow down and stop working. It is very hard to get any time off unless you beg for it. The management team sucks. They would over schedule on some surveys and under schedule on others. At the end of the month when the call volume was low, you had to wait until the last minute to know if you were still scheduled to call or scheduled off. The supervisors email the schedules out at the last minute. You had to follow the survey script exactly or you would get penalized for going off script. You could not even say anything positive to the customer, like "that's great", etc. I got written up several times for saying something positive to the customer while doing a survey. You also get a lot of very nasty respondents, some of them will cuss you out and say vulgar things to you. I will never work at such a company again.

Get better quality superviosrs and have better training for the phone interviewers. Allow the work from home interviewers to schedule 15 hours instead of 20 hours. Many people have other jobs. Training should be spread out over a 2 day period and not crammed into one 8 hour session. Give better incentives for good interviewers instead of those lame gift cards.

IT people are not a priority

I worked at Maritz Research

Pros

They attempt to keep up with the latest security & technology.

Cons

They have farmed out much of their IT overseas in a vain attempt to save money. IT always plays second fiddle to the Marketers - - who walk on water.

Hire some good architects or consultants to design your product.

Not a good company to work for

I worked at Maritz Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers (peers) are usually nice people willing to take the extra step to make the clients happy.
    If you become sick to the point of hospitalization, you might get flowers.

Cons

Terrible compensation and benefits package.
    Terrible senior managers and vps. They pretend to listen, but lie to employees. Employees that are brave enough to speak up are brutalized and humiliated in meetings.
    Layoffs are a constant feature there. If you are a 15/50 (15 years there, 50 years old), expect to be a victim during the next round. If you are also female, it's worse.
    Terrible in house development team. They built an expensive software package using biztalk that is slow, crashes constantly, and can't be fixed by anyone except certain special people. When crashes do occur, instead of blaming the poor package design and set up, the end developers are blamed and made into the scapegoats.
    Lots of hard working IT people were let go in 2014 so offshore (cheap) resources could be used. Their work is substandard and now there are very few people left to repair the damage.

Nobody believes a thing that comes out of your mouths. Nobody. You should get outside consultants in house to help with morale and damage repair.

To the new company (Alliance) - you might consider getting rid of the remaining senior managers. The name change is a nice way to distance yourself from the mess, but in reality you are just putting paint on a rusted car. Might want to remove the rust first and fix the holes in the body.

Last Resort

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Maritz Research full-time

Pros

Maritz offered two paid weeks of vacation and the time from Christmas through New Year day off. Depending on the manager, flex-time was offered. Working on other teams was pleasant and gave me the opportunity to learn and grow on the program.

Cons

Maritz needs to work on professionalism, respect, honesty, office culture and executive/managment leadership.
    During my time at Maritz, it was acceptable and encouraged to sacrafice a co-worker for the sake of selfish reasons to move up in the company. The way people were treated by co-workers such as verbal harrassement and being disrespectful during meetings was overlooked by management. People were not willing to speak-up rather not say anything in fear of lossing their job. It was a stressful environment, and the projects would require more than 50 hours a week for those in non-leadership roles and little pay.

Executives need to understand the true culture that has been created and working on creating a better work environment. Understand what the employee like and dislike about working at Maritz by talking to everyone.

Dissaster

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Getting the week between Christmas and New Years Off

Cons

Management take employees and clients for granted.

Long hours, no money

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people are great and the hours are flexible for part time people. The vending machine has a pretty good selection.

Cons

This used to be a fun place to work, but morale has been decreasing for years. They cut part-timer's hours to avoid having to offer insurance while increasing the workload dramatically. Management knew more work was coming in but did nothing to prepare for it, now people are being blamed for not being able to do three times the work with half the hours. They refuse to pay a decent starting wage so the few people who do interview are not qualified or they don't stay. Long hours are expected and taking any time off is frowned on. There is no positive reinforcement from management; achievement of the difficult only results in demands to do more.

Maritz Research recently merged with another company who seem like they have a good culture. I would suggest that the new CEO take a very close look at what is really happening behind the dog and pony show that is put on for visitors. Ethics violations are common, but are only tolerated for the favorites. If the manager likes you (or is too scared of you to deal with you) you can write your own ticket. Otherwise, you need to watch your back.

Researcher

I worked at Maritz Research

Pros

Flexibility to make up your own schedule.

Cons

getting called off an hour before or right before your start time

stop with all the excessive criticism

We have lost sight of what matters most!

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Maumee, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Maumee, OH

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A few others have mentioned it but it is very true. The holiday shutdown at the end of the year, if you are a lucky one who can take the time off, it gives a well needed break from the pressures of this environment.

Cons

Owner finally acts and gets rid of some horrendous executives but then keeps all the past executives' lieutenants. So in the end nothing has changed for the better. Company plans to relocate everything to Utah, yet we are told our office will not move. Right! So much for open and honest communication. Company's use of junior level employees and offshore staff has really set us back. When I sit in on a client call (that included a competitor I might add) and he asks "how late and how many attempts will it take for you to get it right?", I know it is only a matter of time before this gig is up. And I came to this conclusion before the competitor stepped in to define a correlation and explain the automotive sales process on our behalf. I would go share someone my concerns but I am not sure anyone cares. Plus, this is not a place to be forthright with your ideas or concerns.

Stop patting yourself on the back for the merger. If you care about this business Dennis & Steve, maybe you should spend some time visiting and listening to our customers and what they are saying about us before it is too late. We are not fooling them with a 1980's consulting business model.

Maritz Research Photos