www.maritzresearch.com

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
2.3

Michael Brereton

Pros
  • flexible work hours; remote access (work from home when needed); company shutdown between Christmas and New Years (in 7 reviews)

• The people are some of the best you'll find anywhere; flexible hours; a good company for people with families (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management making decisions based solely on the bottom line (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management does not appear to listen to the voices of those in the trenches every day (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company Getting Its Groove Back...

Current Employee - Director in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best colleagues in the industry!
    Flexible schedules.
    Smart, dedicated people!
    I get to work with some of the largest companies in the world.
    Great vacation policy, including holiday shutdown.
    Company supports local charities and activities.
    Onsite cafeteria, gym, doctor's office.
    Great team building/fun events.

Cons

Like many others here, most of my career with Maritz Research has been during very high-growth periods. During that time, new projects, promotions, and raises were plentiful. Then customers reduced budgets. Like all businesses, Maritz Research has certainly had its ups-and-downs, and I think we are finally coming out of the down period. The last 3 years have been very frustrating as the company adjusts the strategy to return to growth. This has meant experimenting with some things that definitely did not work!!

This has certainly taken longer to happen than I would have liked. However, with a recent (much needed) leadership change, a focus on the future with new ideas, and a return to focusing on our clients, I feel Maritz is going to grow again.

Come work with us! We need the help!

It took you long enough! Now follow-through with fresh leadership, a new culture, and investments in your people.

The grass is always greener

Current Employee - Developer Analyst in Maumee, AR
    Current Employee - Developer Analyst in Maumee, AR

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work on a team with some of the smartest people I've ever met. They push me to be better, to learn, to step out of my comfort zone. I'm able to work from home whenever I want and my boss is proactive about asking me what types of technologies I would like to explore and what types of development I want to do. I don't always get my first pick, but hey, we have clients and the work has to be done. Sooner or later it works out because he works with me to make sure it does.

Cons

The economy required the company to make cuts starting a few years ago and the mood there has never been the same. I truly believe that we have cut as far as we're going to, but many of my co-workers do not so people are leaving and many who are still there are miserable.

Get serious about investing in your people so they know you are serious. People are afraid and trust has eroded but not all of us have given up.

Good for Beginner's Job or someone in need of work asap

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer/Transcriber in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer/Transcriber in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Maritz Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The reason's to work here is because they hire all the time. They hire entry level positions at $8 to $9 a hour. Raises are not substantial (.10cents - 50cents increments every year). This is a beginner's job, and a job for someone needing work, especially through college. They are extremely flexible with hours. I heard now you can work from home.

Cons

No substantial raises ($1.50 increase in four years span). You are just a number. I don't remember having benefits, and I worked there for 4 years.

Not Bad, But Could Be Better...

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Maumee, OH
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Maumee, OH

I worked at Maritz Research part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are able to change your schedule weekly, you get paid weekly, Direct Deposit, and the training was quick and somewhat simple. Also, some of the supervisors were empathetic and helpful.

Cons

The dialer had a lot of problems and the days I was suppose to work were interrupted because of it. Some of the supervisors that reviewed the calls were real sticklers about quality of calls. The people we had to call could be very rude and disrespectful. The job got boring and old fast. Weekends were a requirement.

Don't be such sticklers on call reviewing process especially since the pay for this position was not up to par.

I feel bad for my coworkers...

Former Employee - Project Director in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Project Director in Fenton, MO

I worked at Maritz Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to come and go as you please, without reason. "Work" from home. No clock watchers. An extremely relaxed culture, almost to the point of play hard, work when you're done playing. Virtually no websites are blocked, which makes killing time while waiting on deliverables tolerable.

Cons

Ahh where to begin? The department has been in a swift decline for the last few years and continues to gain speed with the decisions senior management is making. Wow they're bad with communication too. You can ask the same question to 5 different Sr. Leaders and get 5 totally different answers. Quite amazing actually. Oh and the President just "retired" at oh so convenient of times (of turmoil). Just throw a couple elephants and acrobats into the ring and you've got yourself a circus.

Here's my attempt to explain the layoffs and replacements - Project Coordinators/Directors/Sr. PD's are the work horses of the department. They're also the ones with the least amount of experience and least amount of training (understandable when little formal training is offered). Direct correlation: they're paid the least and work the most, resulting in high turnover at that level. 75% of them leave within 2 years of hire date. Managers/Sr. Managers are next in line up the chain. Half are excellent employees (5+ years ago when promotions existed, these are the tenured Maritz employees that worked their way up to a manager level), the other half (hired externally) are absolutely atrocious and know nothing about the research industry. Now the tenured managers are leaving in droves because they're figuring out that grass is much greener on the other side (side note - I had 3 different managers in 2 years of employment). Promotions are slowly getting worked into the system now that re-org #3 in 5 years is in place. I didn't hear of a promotion in the entire department for about 18 months at one point. I was actually told my promotion paperwork was being processed...7 months before I left (no promotion issued). Combine all of that with a 1.5% raise every 18-24 months, you've got a lot of unhappy folks.

Compensation is well-below industry comparables, and that's not going to change regardless of how thin the department gets with offshoring IT and not replacing employees that leave. Healthcare benefit has to be one of the highest costs I've heard of, and that coming from a non-smoker. Smokers probably have 15-20% of their paycheck go to healthcare. The rest of benefits are pretty well in line with what you'd get elsewhere.

Leaving my coworkers was the hardest part about leaving the company; they are some awesome people stuck in a toxic environment.

Transparency and Communication, start with those since that's a pretty easy task to grasp. Then after learning how to walk, invest in your employees in every way that you can find when you Google "Employee Engagement".

Doesn't Realize the Potential in it's own Employees

Current Employee - Developer Analyst in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Developer Analyst in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Very Flexible with work schedule, remote working, etc
    - Gives an Employee lots of opportunity to learn on their own
    - Good benefits and time-off policies
    - Pays senior-level staff well
    - Lots of "Feel Good" Events

Cons

- Leadership is only interested in reporting up good news
    - In survival mode and shifting to offshore support model to save money
    - Doesn't learn from failures
    - Pay increases barely meet inflation (You better hire-in well)

Bring in new management from the outside to reinvigorate the company.

My experience with Martiz has been very educating.

Current Employee - Researcher in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Researcher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Maritz Research part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work for Martiz would be the ability to gain extra income as well as use the online Entry debrief to maintain your computer skills.

Cons

The cons for working for Martiz is that if you come across a problem the company has a terrific Customer Service team to assist with any issues or concerns.

Decent Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Director, Research Services in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Director, Research Services in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Maritz offers great work-life flexibility to employees and the people you get to work with are generally pleasant and easy to get along with.

Cons

You won't find many dynamic people driven to deliver the next great thing or innovate. Those that are of this mold are generally discouraged from rocking the boat too much.
    Also, you never want to find yourself in a position where you're indispensable to your client at Maritz, because then upper management will resent you because they're unable to fire you and get someone else to do your work for 1/2 the cost.
    If you work your butt off and create awesome, you'll surely be on the short list to be shown the door here. See, people like that are rare and they are given all the work. They get burned out and demand the raises that they deserve. And you must demand a raise here as they are rarely voluntarily given to anyone, especially someone with talent. Management sees talented people demanding what they deserve as "stealing" and those people are soon shown the door or marginalized or they quit out of frustration, demoralized and baffled.

Your employees are not cogs. Offshoring IT solutions has demoralized your "Onshore" talent causing them to leave in droves. The Offshore individuals you've hired never deliver as promised and are destroying your quality, your reputation , employee satisfaction and productivity and most importantly client satisfaction.

Identify your top talent like GE did, promote them and pay them what they deserve and get out of their way.

Also, job training programs and encouraging people to adopt new skills and develop existing skills must be made a priority if we're to innovate here.

Generally Fulfilling

Current Employee - Information Technology Analyst in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Information Technology Analyst in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are what brought me back day after day. Most everyone below upper management really tends to stick together.

Cons

Upper management does not appear to listen to the voices of those in the trenches every day. Training budget could be improved.

Listen to the opinions/thoughts of employees and consider their ideas/feedback.

Poor communication and constant threat of layoffs causing a lot of anxiety

Current Employee - Research Manager in Maumee, OH
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Maumee, OH

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* a little flexibility in your schedule should u need it
    * time off policy is pretty good
    * quiet and clean workplace

Cons

* no clear strategy
    * a lot of talk about pay raises and promotions but it never happens
    * strong buddy system really prevents fresh ideas from being heard
    * too many good people are leaving us
    * all tech is being done offshore
    * poor communication
    * no trust in management
    * part of building is about to be sold
    * have to depend on junior talent to execute complex projects

Look at the core of the business and focus on it. Need fresh ideas and people we can trust not a group of buddies who think alike and support one another. Focus and reward those who are carrying out the bulk of the work.

Maritz Research Photos