www.maritzresearch.com

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.3

Michael Brereton

Pros
  • The people are some of the best you'll find anywhere; flexible hours; a good company for people with families (in 12 reviews)

• Easy work, might let you work from home, casual dress code (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not appear to listen to the voices of those in the trenches every day (in 7 reviews)

• Poor senior management making decisions based solely on the bottom line (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I feel bad for my coworkers...

Former Employee - Project Director in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Project Director in Fenton, MO

I worked at Maritz Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to come and go as you please, without reason. "Work" from home. No clock watchers. An extremely relaxed culture, almost to the point of play hard, work when you're done playing. Virtually no websites are blocked, which makes killing time while waiting on deliverables tolerable.

Cons

Ahh where to begin? The department has been in a swift decline for the last few years and continues to gain speed with the decisions senior management is making. Wow they're bad with communication too. You can ask the same question to 5 different Sr. Leaders and get 5 totally different answers. Quite amazing actually. Oh and the President just "retired" at oh so convenient of times (of turmoil). Just throw a couple elephants and acrobats into the ring and you've got yourself a circus.

Here's my attempt to explain the layoffs and replacements - Project Coordinators/Directors/Sr. PD's are the work horses of the department. They're also the ones with the least amount of experience and least amount of training (understandable when little formal training is offered). Direct correlation: they're paid the least and work the most, resulting in high turnover at that level. 75% of them leave within 2 years of hire date. Managers/Sr. Managers are next in line up the chain. Half are excellent employees (5+ years ago when promotions existed, these are the tenured Maritz employees that worked their way up to a manager level), the other half (hired externally) are absolutely atrocious and know nothing about the research industry. Now the tenured managers are leaving in droves because they're figuring out that grass is much greener on the other side (side note - I had 3 different managers in 2 years of employment). Promotions are slowly getting worked into the system now that re-org #3 in 5 years is in place. I didn't hear of a promotion in the entire department for about 18 months at one point. I was actually told my promotion paperwork was being processed...7 months before I left (no promotion issued). Combine all of that with a 1.5% raise every 18-24 months, you've got a lot of unhappy folks.

Compensation is well-below industry comparables, and that's not going to change regardless of how thin the department gets with offshoring IT and not replacing employees that leave. Healthcare benefit has to be one of the highest costs I've heard of, and that coming from a non-smoker. Smokers probably have 15-20% of their paycheck go to healthcare. The rest of benefits are pretty well in line with what you'd get elsewhere.

Leaving my coworkers was the hardest part about leaving the company; they are some awesome people stuck in a toxic environment.

Transparency and Communication, start with those since that's a pretty easy task to grasp. Then after learning how to walk, invest in your employees in every way that you can find when you Google "Employee Engagement".

Doesn't Realize the Potential in it's own Employees

Current Employee - Developer Analyst in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Developer Analyst in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Very Flexible with work schedule, remote working, etc
    - Gives an Employee lots of opportunity to learn on their own
    - Good benefits and time-off policies
    - Pays senior-level staff well
    - Lots of "Feel Good" Events

Cons

- Leadership is only interested in reporting up good news
    - In survival mode and shifting to offshore support model to save money
    - Doesn't learn from failures
    - Pay increases barely meet inflation (You better hire-in well)

Bring in new management from the outside to reinvigorate the company.

The grass is always greener

Current Employee - Developer Analyst in Maumee, AR
    Current Employee - Developer Analyst in Maumee, AR

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work on a team with some of the smartest people I've ever met. They push me to be better, to learn, to step out of my comfort zone. I'm able to work from home whenever I want and my boss is proactive about asking me what types of technologies I would like to explore and what types of development I want to do. I don't always get my first pick, but hey, we have clients and the work has to be done. Sooner or later it works out because he works with me to make sure it does.

Cons

The economy required the company to make cuts starting a few years ago and the mood there has never been the same. I truly believe that we have cut as far as we're going to, but many of my co-workers do not so people are leaving and many who are still there are miserable.

Get serious about investing in your people so they know you are serious. People are afraid and trust has eroded but not all of us have given up.

My experience with Martiz has been very educating.

Current Employee - Researcher in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Researcher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Maritz Research part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work for Martiz would be the ability to gain extra income as well as use the online Entry debrief to maintain your computer skills.

Cons

The cons for working for Martiz is that if you come across a problem the company has a terrific Customer Service team to assist with any issues or concerns.

Decent Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Director, Research Services in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Director, Research Services in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Maritz offers great work-life flexibility to employees and the people you get to work with are generally pleasant and easy to get along with.

Cons

You won't find many dynamic people driven to deliver the next great thing or innovate. Those that are of this mold are generally discouraged from rocking the boat too much.
    Also, you never want to find yourself in a position where you're indispensable to your client at Maritz, because then upper management will resent you because they're unable to fire you and get someone else to do your work for 1/2 the cost.
    If you work your butt off and create awesome, you'll surely be on the short list to be shown the door here. See, people like that are rare and they are given all the work. They get burned out and demand the raises that they deserve. And you must demand a raise here as they are rarely voluntarily given to anyone, especially someone with talent. Management sees talented people demanding what they deserve as "stealing" and those people are soon shown the door or marginalized or they quit out of frustration, demoralized and baffled.

Your employees are not cogs. Offshoring IT solutions has demoralized your "Onshore" talent causing them to leave in droves. The Offshore individuals you've hired never deliver as promised and are destroying your quality, your reputation , employee satisfaction and productivity and most importantly client satisfaction.

Identify your top talent like GE did, promote them and pay them what they deserve and get out of their way.

Also, job training programs and encouraging people to adopt new skills and develop existing skills must be made a priority if we're to innovate here.

Poor communication and constant threat of layoffs causing a lot of anxiety

Current Employee - Research Manager in Maumee, OH
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Maumee, OH

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* a little flexibility in your schedule should u need it
    * time off policy is pretty good
    * quiet and clean workplace

Cons

* no clear strategy
    * a lot of talk about pay raises and promotions but it never happens
    * strong buddy system really prevents fresh ideas from being heard
    * too many good people are leaving us
    * all tech is being done offshore
    * poor communication
    * no trust in management
    * part of building is about to be sold
    * have to depend on junior talent to execute complex projects

Look at the core of the business and focus on it. Need fresh ideas and people we can trust not a group of buddies who think alike and support one another. Focus and reward those who are carrying out the bulk of the work.

Too Slow to React

Current Employee - Director in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Year end shutdown and our campus setting - very nice setting with plenty of wildlife. Nice to walk at lunch in the summer and the fall

Cons

Stop focusing only on profit margins! We continue to lose business and all we do is focus on profit margins. Very poor communication along with a disastrously planned and executed reorg has destroyed morale. With a hiring freeze and no promotions, we are forced to work long hours while the company refuses to provide any salary increases. A one or two percent raise every 18 or 24 months is a joke and offensive - especially when you are told you are a top performer. Performance bonus plans are so unrealistic and communicated so late in the year that they are worthless.

Like another worker posted, most programming has been pushed to India which has created many issues that our clients are pointing out - not good!. So not only does the company put you down so does your upset clients. CEO was just forced out of the company (yes, we know he did not suddenly retire, Steve - another insult to us all) but all his people are still in place. So it is the proverbial "old guard" story.

Stop holding on to the past. I have provided you feedback on so many employee surveys, town hall meetings and to my manager and nothing ever changes. How about treat us like we know something about the business and our clients and stop telling us lies. "We are now going to be upfront and transparent" - really? What were you before? And please please keep the Maumee weirdoes in Maumee.

Generally Fulfilling

Current Employee - Information Technology Analyst in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Information Technology Analyst in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are what brought me back day after day. Most everyone below upper management really tends to stick together.

Cons

Upper management does not appear to listen to the voices of those in the trenches every day. Training budget could be improved.

Listen to the opinions/thoughts of employees and consider their ideas/feedback.

Low salary, decent job

Former Employee - Project Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Maritz Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-people
    -good atmosphere
    -rewards system is a good system

Cons

-low pay
    -poor advancement
    -management jumps around
    -long working hours

consistency

Something is Seriously Wrong

Current Employee - Project Accountant in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Project Accountant in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If it works out, you can get the last week of the year off. Great for spending time with family for Christmas and New Year's.

Cons

Company culture is broken. The people were once the heart of the company and when we were treated like we mattered the company outperformed. Years ago there was a significant shift away from this philosophy. Today we are treated like numbers with little to no respect.
    We are given vacation and holidays but we are so understaffed we cannot take the time off.
    Morale is poor

invest in your people - the right people. Stop adding more vice presidents. We need front line people who actually work instead of adding vice presidents to send us happy birthday and anniversary wishes. Seriously!

Maritz Research Photos