Maritz Research Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.6

Michael Brereton

Pros
  • What I liked best about Maritz is its flexible hours (in 9 reviews)

• Might be able to work from home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is pretty low and depending on who your project manager is, they may be demanding of your time (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management really out of touch with industry and the workforce (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A Runaway Train That Is On Fire with No Brakes & Bodies Scattered Everywhere...

Current Employee - Senior Project Director  in  Maumee, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Project Director in Maumee, OH

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are paid on time
    Fellow employees are nice - not skilled but nice

Cons

The miscommunication here is maddening. You have to wait for this guy who works either from his office in Maumee or Florida or St. Louis to show up and speak. Then when he does you know it is a bunch of lies and everyone goes on to complain, quit or works less. It also appears that they are letting all the talent go here. I asked my new boss about this trend and was told "upper management is crazy. If you are good and make a decent salary, sooner or later they will let you go." What!?! Our star programmer on my team was just let go without warning, a replacement or plan to backfill. Why was he let go? I was told to save money. No one is available to program for my project that requires a full-time programmer. I now have a very upset client and management just turns their back. Other cons - no raises, poor healthcare benefits and constant threat of layoffs

Steve Maritz needs to clean house

Got In and Quickly Got Out - Company is Imploding

Former Employee - Project Director  in  Maumee, OH
    Former Employee - Project Director in Maumee, OH

I worked at Maritz Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company closes for year end holidays

Cons

Senior management very out of touch with the state of this business. So much emphasis is placed on cutting cost that projects suffer, people suffer and clients suffer. Technology is not a focus at this company and people are definitely not a focus. Good luck getting a raise, promotion, or training. To boost morale the best you can expect is... a jeans day.

Sell the company... hopefully someone who cares will buy it and replace the poor decision makers there today

easy job to do and fun

Former Employee - Call Center Interviewer  in  Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Call Center Interviewer in Toledo, OH

I worked at Maritz Research part-time for less than a year

Pros

You choose your own schedule

Cons

You will be stock to a PC all the time your there

make it easier for employees to take a 2 minute bathroom breaks :)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company Lacks Leadership, Direction, Comminication, Strategy,...

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst  in  Maumee, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Maumee, OH

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coworkers are very nice people... Unfortunately they are all looking to leave the company.

Cons

- zero communication, if any is provided, it is propaganda and/or misdirection
    - pay is low, healthcare benefits are weak and high healthcare costs
    - any talent has been asked to leave or they are looking for other jobs outside of company
    - constant reorganizing - most do not know who their boss is or have an understanding of org structure. So getting a raise or promotion is almost impossible
    - very behind in technology which causes many clients to look to other suppliers
    - executives who are setting failed strategy after failed strategy are never asked to leave

Replace the greed mentality and bring a culture of people, trust and integrity back to the company. Invest in your people and technology. Maybe bring in a few executives who have an MBA and understand business instead of maintaing executives who create great business cases for what not to do.

Going in the direction of a sweatshop

Current Employee - Senior Project Director  in  Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Director in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is well-respected, the clients are solid mostly Fortune 500 (which matters because we'll always get paid), and there's a lot of diversity in people and jobs across the company so there are many places to move to and develop your career, and Maritz looks realy good on a resume. There's a strong team culture and you know your team has your back and you have theirs. The work-life balance is pretty good, manager are good about flexible hours so long as you don't abuse them, and this is something the younger employees really have to watch because the worst thing you can do in your first year is work from home three days a week. You have to expect some late nights and occasional weekends. We do a lot of long-term projects so you may travel once or twice a year for your project.

Cons

The pay is everyone's top complaint - we pay low for our industry, and we're in a low-paying industry. The company has been dumping more and more of the health care costs on us and the pay increases, when we get them, don't keep up. People leave for more pay going to the "client side" and sometimes come back because they want a less crazy schedule. Who replaces them are often a lot younger, right out of college, and they don't know squat. It slows the whole team down and limits what we can do.

Communication is really poor. Last year there were recently a lot of changes and management did a really awful job of communicating them. You'd come in on Monday and see that an office is empty, and a lot of people left because they just didn't feel safe. That made it much harder than it had to be.

Our technology always seems behind. The grades we get from clients on our end of year feedback is always low for technology. I think we just can't keep the IT people, which is strange because we were one of teh best places to work in IT like 10 years ago.

Do you want to keep more of us? Talk to us honestly and pay us more! For a long time the annual meetings had a goal of "we're aiming for double-digit revenue growth!" and that's just not realistic. It's not even a good goal. Give us better tools and set up some standard training. I hate hate hate training recent college grads in things like powerpoint, word and excel. That's not my job!

Senior Leaders out of touch

I worked at Maritz Research full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. Flexible workplace, not a clock watching company.

Cons

Senior management really out of touch with industry and the workforce.

Pay people what they are worth and they will stay. Stop setting unrealistic goals, and then using that as an excuse for layoffs and no raises.

Poor Leadership Pushing this Company to the Brink...

Current Employee - Developer Analyst  in  Maumee, OH
    Current Employee - Developer Analyst in Maumee, OH

I have been working at Maritz Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Frontline employees care about their work and clients

Cons

1. Very poor communication from the top
    2. Pay is below market and there seems to always be an excuse for no pay raises
    3. Much of the talent has been asked to leave or is too busy creating their resumes so they can leave
    4. Company does not value technology
    5. Workers are treated as a disposable commodity
    6. Company sells motivation solutions and ironically employee morale here is horrible
    7. It would be nice to talk to the decision makers here but I have been told they "work from their vacation homes in Florida and rarely come into the office"
    8. Consistently employees are told "no more layoffs" yet they are never ending
    9. Junior level employees are now expected to perform Sr. level duties without any training or compensation
    10. Raises and promotions are unheard of here - instead you get excuse after excuse after excuse

Steve Maritz needs to get engaged and replace the executives driving this company into the ground. If not, I give this company less than a year to survive. Speak the truth and stop the propaganda - even the most junior person no longer trusts the CEO or COO. How about get rid of the decision makers and not the doers?

Unless you work upstairs you feel unappreciated and invisible.

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk  in  Maumee, OH
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Maumee, OH

I worked at Maritz Research part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You can set your own schedule.

Cons

Unless you work upstairs, raises are very small. No perks. Not valued at all. After working there for a long time you are still considered a flexible part time person even though you work full time. Hours however were cut to 28 after the new healthcare law.

Treat your employees equal.

Quick interview process

Former Employee - Telephone Surveyor  in  Kirksville, MO
    Former Employee - Telephone Surveyor in Kirksville, MO

I worked at Maritz Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

Need easy money. Perfect for students who need to the work the evening and weekend shifts. Allow you to get a pay raise if you consistently meet the quota. Tey also give employees a raise if they never take a day off during their work schedule.

Cons

It gets tiring to keep saying the same things agin and again. And there can be a lot of mean and unnecessary responses. If you are not a customer friendly person, do not take this job. You hae to be a people person to thrive here.

As a call center interviewer is a job to get you by until you can find something better.

Former Employee - Call Center Interviewer  in  Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Call Center Interviewer in Toledo, OH

I worked at Maritz Research part-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation starts off at $8 an hour; however, if you adhere to the call per hour rate then you will qualify to get a 25 cent raise, every 3 months and can make up to $10. Easy going job, individual oriented, and casual attire is prohibited. Great as a second job to bring in extra income.

Cons

No benefits, second shift job (hours of 4pm-12am), sometimes the dialer doesn't always last until 12 am so it's hard to make it a full-time job as far as income goes.

Worked for Maritz Research? Contribute to the Community!