Maritz Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
2.7

Maritz Chairman and CEO Steve Maritz
Steve Maritz

Pros
  • Family friendly environment with a good work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• I worked with some nice people, I think that is the most positive thing I can say (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Total lack of communication/direction from Upper management on where the company is going (in 5 reviews)

• Company seemed to be in constant turmoil; non-stop reorganizations; periodic lay-offs (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place for an entry level job.

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst  in  Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Southfield, MI

I worked at Maritz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I absolutely love the people here, it's been over 10 years since I worked here, and I still keep in contact with many of them. I thought Maritz paid well, but I came in making more since my prior job paid more. I got a lot of hands on training (SAS) which helped me in future jobs.

Cons

Leadership was on the weak side, people tended get promoted based on seniority and their desire to move up the ranks, even if they were awful managers. The maternity benefits were so-so, as were medical/dental. I worked late sometimes, but iti was not a regular practice.

Get to know your managers, they are fostering the culture of the work place, they can make it a great place to work or an awful place to work.

Too many chiefs and not enough indians

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fenton, MO

I worked at Maritz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, low pay. Worked there for 7 years until I got caught up in one of the many waves of layoffs. Good opportunities if you know people.

Cons

Terrible management and an outdated business model.

Steve Maritz should sell the company and retire.

Company is on a downhill ride

Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist  in  Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Fenton, MO

I worked at Maritz full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They tend to promote from within. There are a lot of good people that work there. They have a flexible workforce with good remote access options that allows people to get their jobs done when and where they are most productive.

Cons

I worked for Maritz for more than a decade. During that time, I saw the company change from a fun, growing, energetic, fast moving company into a crumbling bureaucracy, handcuffed by too many layers of management playing too much CYA. Frequent layoffs, low pay, limited advancement opportunity, overwork and dwindling perks have turned Maritz into a company with low morale where everyone is busy watching their backs instead of looking for ways to improve the business

Stop making your people afraid to fail. Listen to your people and stop laying off the people who criticize you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Facilitator

Former Employee - Facilitator  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Facilitator in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Maritz as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

autonomy, good culture of teamwork among employees, very organized

Cons

would tend to cater to the client too much at times without discussing possible alternative options that would be better serving

Learn how to say no to the client. Use your expertise to bring forward the issues - even if it is uncomfortable.

Enjoyed working in Internal Business Systems Group

I worked at Maritz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent flex time policies. Fun people and fun corporate team building. Management in Internal Business Systems was very good.

Cons

Company overall seemed to be having some stability issues - layoffs, etc.

One of the best places I've ever worked at.

Current Employee - Finance Employee  in  Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Finance Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is great, pay is good for salaried folks, and there is lots of career opportunity. Maritz is a behavioral science company at it's core, so it has a vested interest in treating its employees well. For the most part, they come through and management is very supportive of personal and professional development. The vacation is excellent as well and their are lots of little perks that add up to a great overall package. You will get to know many levels of management and interactions with them are very collegial.

Cons

Industry margins are getting lower and more product innovation is needed. Many of the departments are mired with work because of inefficient processes, which need to be corrected. Health plan is in transition and is not as good as it could be. Our business model is very sensitive to the broader economy, so hard times for the US means hard times for Maritz. Add it up and it's clear we're playing defense, which is not a good strategy. All of this represents significant risk to the profitability of the firm, but management is aware and looking to remedy much of this.

We need to root out any sources of waste and rework we're doing to keep ourselves more profitable. Some of the non-salaried employees need a pay bump as well. Overall though, the company is definitely moving in the right direction from what I've seen.

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Sales  in  Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Sales in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice colleagues, decent work-life balance

Cons

Bad leadership (don't understand how some of these people get promoted), no benefits, low morale, losing clients left and right

Wipe out most of the leadership team and start new, invest in your products and your people

Amazing place to work!

Former Employee - Software Architect  in  Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Fenton, MO

I worked at Maritz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Maritz Learning had a small company atmosphere with big company ambition. The employees were more like family members and friends and made going in each day enjoyable. We had great projects to work on and there was plenty of creativity to go around. The benefits package were pretty standard.

Cons

Unfortunately, the Maritz Learning unit was dissolved in the winter of 2010.

N/A

Desperately needs a management refresh

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Maritz is a good place to start your career. You get to travel and work with big-name clients.

Cons

In general, the pay is low. This is across the board. HR openly acknowledges they are not a top-paying employer. They try to make up for it by being extremely family-friendly though. The flexibility is nice, but it's hard to get things done when nobody on your team is held accountable by management.

Nearly everyone in management has been at Maritz for 15+ years. This is a problem because they are not interested in holding each other accountable. They are all BFFs from back in the day. Most of management is also very old and as a result, short-sighted. They are focused only on keeping their bonuses for the next 3-5 years rather than on long-term year-over-year growth.

Threat of layoffs was a constant worry and very distracting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I worked at Maritz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers were great, campus was nice but dated, I enjoyed the natural surroundings and wildlife.
    Cafe was nice. Fitness center on campus.

Cons

IT in a state of turmoil / budget woes
    Layoffs and budget issues have made employees with long tenure not care about the company anymore.
    Most employees are not in it for the long haul, just staying until something better comes along.

At least act like you appreciate the people that work for you instead of promoting your buddies and figuring out how much your next bonus will be.

Worked for Maritz? Contribute to the Community!