Maritz

Be The First To
Add Photos

Maritz Chairman and CEO Steve Maritz

Steve Maritz

Pros
  • Family friendly environment with a good work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

• I worked with some nice people, I think that is the most positive thing I can say(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Total lack of communication/direction from Upper management on where the company is going(in 5 reviews)

• Company seemed to be in constant turmoil; non-stop reorganizations; periodic lay-offs(in 3 reviews)

Great place for an entry level job.

Market Research Analyst (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsI absolutely love the people here, it's been over 10 years since I worked here, and I still keep in contact with many of them. I thought Maritz paid well, but I came in making more since my prior job paid more. I got a lot of hands on training (SAS) which helped me in future jobs.

ConsLeadership was on the weak side, people tended get promoted based on seniority and their desire to move up the ranks, even if they were awful managers. The maternity benefits were so-so, as were medical/dental. I worked late sometimes, but iti was not a regular practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your managers, they are fostering the culture of the work place, they can make it a great place to work or an awful place to work.

Facilitator

Facilitator (Former Employee) North Chicago, IL

Prosautonomy, good culture of teamwork among employees, very organized

Conswould tend to cater to the client too much at times without discussing possible alternative options that would be better serving

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to say no to the client. Use your expertise to bring forward the issues - even if it is uncomfortable.

One of the best places I've ever worked at.

Finance Employee (Current Employee) Fenton, MO

ProsWork/life balance is great, pay is good for salaried folks, and there is lots of career opportunity. Maritz is a behavioral science company at it's core, so it has a vested interest in treating its employees well. For the most part, they come through and management is very supportive of personal and professional development. The vacation is excellent as well and their are lots of little perks that add up to a great overall package. You will get to know many levels of management and interactions with them are very collegial.

ConsIndustry margins are getting lower and more product innovation is needed. Many of the departments are mired with work because of inefficient processes, which need to be corrected. Health plan is in transition and is not as good as it could be. Our business model is very sensitive to the broader economy, so hard times for the US means hard times for Maritz. Add it up and it's clear we're playing defense, which is not a good strategy. All of this represents significant risk to the profitability of the firm, but management is aware and looking to remedy much of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to root out any sources of waste and rework we're doing to keep ourselves more profitable. Some of the non-salaried employees need a pay bump as well. Overall though, the company is definitely moving in the right direction from what I've seen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed working in Internal Business Systems Group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent flex time policies. Fun people and fun corporate team building. Management in Internal Business Systems was very good.

ConsCompany overall seemed to be having some stability issues - layoffs, etc.

Sinking ship

Sales (Current Employee) Fenton, MO

ProsNice colleagues, decent work-life balance

ConsBad leadership (don't understand how some of these people get promoted), no benefits, low morale, losing clients left and right

Advice to Senior ManagementWipe out most of the leadership team and start new, invest in your products and your people

Amazing place to work!

Software Architect (Former Employee) Fenton, MO

ProsMaritz Learning had a small company atmosphere with big company ambition. The employees were more like family members and friends and made going in each day enjoyable. We had great projects to work on and there was plenty of creativity to go around. The benefits package were pretty standard.

ConsUnfortunately, the Maritz Learning unit was dissolved in the winter of 2010.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Desperately needs a management refresh

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fenton, MO

ProsMaritz is a good place to start your career. You get to travel and work with big-name clients.

ConsIn general, the pay is low. This is across the board. HR openly acknowledges they are not a top-paying employer. They try to make up for it by being extremely family-friendly though. The flexibility is nice, but it's hard to get things done when nobody on your team is held accountable by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNearly everyone in management has been at Maritz for 15+ years. This is a problem because they are not interested in holding each other accountable. They are all BFFs from back in the day. Most of management is also very old and as a result, short-sighted. They are focused only on keeping their bonuses for the next 3-5 years rather than on long-term year-over-year growth.

Threat of layoffs was a constant worry and very distracting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fenton, MO

ProsCoworkers were great, campus was nice but dated, I enjoyed the natural surroundings and wildlife.
    Cafe was nice. Fitness center on campus.

ConsIT in a state of turmoil / budget woes
    Layoffs and budget issues have made employees with long tenure not care about the company anymore.
    Most employees are not in it for the long haul, just staying until something better comes along.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least act like you appreciate the people that work for you instead of promoting your buddies and figuring out how much your next bonus will be.

Company is Rapidly Crumbling

Account Manager (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsCoworkers are very nice people

ConsExecutive management is more concerned with short term goals aimed at making their bonus than long term growth. Also very behind in technology that customers no longer want. Executive management has a pencil and paper mindset as opposed to be current with technology. Pay is below market and increases in pay are rare. Healthcare benefits are also below market. Career advancement is very political and not dependent on performance which leads to short tenure of many talented individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest for growth, embrace technology and examine how top executives are compensated to make certain they are motivated for the right reasons. Stop the reorganizations - it is clear you are shooting in the dark and do not have a handle on the business.

Worst company I ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed my work and had good relationships with co-workers. No room to advance but this was a contract position.,

ConsNepotism is rampant. I was one of a handful who didn't get in because they knew someone and as a result, was given a less desirable job then I applied for so they could hire a less qualified, friend of an employee. Although the economy has been tough for everyone, expenses were nit picked to an extreme and often not reimbursed in full. In this particular division, there was no company credit card in the first year so I had to lay out money for travel and no health benefits. The travel allowance was not enough to stay in a decent, safe, and clean hotel at times. My paycheck read "part time, temporary, 50 hours." Our employee appreciation gift each year was a single cookie in the mail. This from a company specializing in employee appreciation gifts! There was zero support from management and constant accusing and assuming the worst without ever asking for an explanation or caring when a valid one was offered. Leadership was non-existent. The clients were left holding the bag even when mistakes were ours. In the end, I was let go for no reason to bring in friends, as were several others. I guess the cookie was an accurate show of appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect, reward for performance, and assume you hired good people and you will get more out of them.

Worked for Maritz? Contribute to the Community!