Maritz Travel Reviews

David Peckinpaugh

1. Travel Director

Former Employee - Travel Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Travel Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Maritz Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, for the most part, surrounding and supporting you. A truly great way to travel and get paid to do so! Progressive company culture.

Cons

This is not a con per se: I simply outgrew my job as I started a family and was ready for a change. I really enjoyed my time there,

Advice to Management

Keep the employees happy, as you already do by traditional, as well as less conventional methods, and you'll continue to see the positive results!

2. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Maritz Travel full-time

Pros

Company does a good job with understanding the balance between work and family. After one year of work, salaried, exempt employees get a full three weeks of vacation AND they get the week between Christmas and New Years off (all paid). That's four weeks after one year.

Cons

While the company is trying to address the problem, clear career paths/opportunities aren't available for some of the departments. It's also difficult to break into the company unless you know someone who is already working there.

Advice to Management

I would just suggest they continue to find ways to help people develop their careers within the company. I'm honestly quite happy with my position and my management, so I would just suggest they continue doing much of what they're doing.

3. Needs help

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitman, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitman, MA

I have been working at Maritz Travel (More than a year)

Pros

Office people are very nice

Cons

Bad management, outdated systems, bad management

5. R&D

I have been working at Maritz Travel full-time

Pros

good benefits. great people. good life/work balance

Cons

tenure too long without fresh POV. old fashion hiearchial/parental management style. good news focused. not comforable with honest conversation or dissent.

6. Sourcing Manager

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company

7. Fantastic. Some of the most incredible people you will ever meet.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Maritz Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel. Travel. Travel. With people that become your family.

Cons

Long hours, very little control over your schedule. A lot of corporate "policy" that you have to deal with.

8. Great company & great people, lower salaries than other event companies in the Bay Area.

Former Employee - Event/Project Planner in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Event/Project Planner in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Excellent team of people at all levels, large company with tons of resources and good processes in place, well recognized in the events industry, great training and opportunities for growth, lots of interesting travel opportunities, great clients.

Cons

Low salaries (at least for the Bay Area), work-life balance can be iffy especially if your job requires a lot of travel.

9. Very good experience

Pros

I had a wonderful experience working here. They really are organized and care about their employees. Good training.

Cons

Too much free food. If you consider that a con.

Project Manager, Edward Jones Summer Regional

Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Maritz Travel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training was quick, but thorough. Management was very involved and was very helpful if you had any questions/concerns. The company places high value on teamwork.

Cons

I found it hard to move up to full time. There were many positions available, but the experience desired is out of reach for part time employees who just graduated college. The interview process was a little disconcerting to me due to the fact that I got one automated rejection email for ALL of the positions I applied for. I figured the interviewer would call/email me to say I did not get the position, but HR sent one and only one email to tell me that I didn't get any of the positions. I felt that was a little unprofessional.

11. Front-line employees are treated as objects to be removed from, and placed on a shelf at the employer's whim.

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Fenton, MO

I worked at Maritz Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. I see reviews stating employees have been at Maritz for 10+ years. Many of those employees are upper management, products of nepotism, or both.

Cons

Training is inadequate. Lots of useless information given during training while very little instruction provided on use of systems used to perform daily job duties. Chain of command from front-line to supervisory level is unorganized based on scheduled hours. Supervisors available during employee's shift are lazy and rude. Employees are treated as low-value property. Mandatory over-time is schedule on a more often than not basis, and can be scheduled before, after, or both your regularly scheduled shift (there are 8 rotating shifts -- all employees, except 3-11 shift, rotate). Employees are expected to call-in to verify if they are actually needed for their mandatory over-time. If not, they are not allowed to clock-in. Punishment is administered for not meeting mandatory over-time requirements.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with a little respect, understand Maritz is NOT the only thing in their live's. Create and implement an effective training program. Evaluate current supervisory staff (some are worth keeping), and either provide training on management skills or relieve poor performers of their duties.

RSS Feed </> Embed