MarkLogic

MarkLogic President & CEO Gary Bloom
Gary Bloom

Growing company, huge opportunity in NoSQL and Big Data

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MarkLogic

Pros

Skill set is ideal for career growth. Big Data, NoSQL, document databases, JavaScript, JSON, XML.
    Opportunity to work in DC for a Silicon Valley product company, rather than a systems integrator.

Cons

You need to cut your own path at MarkLogic. Butts in seats is not the business model, so to be successful you need to be responsible for customer relationship and success.

Allocate internal resources to some of the successes in the field, to productize them and create repeatable solutions.

Dec 22, 2014CMO

Hi -- I'm so glad to see more feedback coming from outside HQ! Your idea about productizing field-built solutions is a good one, and I'll be sure to pass it along to the Product Management team. In ... More

Great technology, great people

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

(1) Great technology - it works, it works well and it solves customer problems that were previously unsolvable

(2) Focus on positive customer outcomes - from top to bottom, the corporate culture is all about positive customer outcomes

(3) The vacation policy! No set "allocation" of vacation days shifts the mindset from bean counting those hours off to planning vacation based on what you need to stay fresh and focused on success.

Cons

Fighting open source groupies. Winning the hearts and minds of developers who gravitate to open source can be hard. To quote another MarkLogician, "Open Source is free like a free puppy" - no cost upfront but plenty of maintenance tail ...

Marklogic is growing quickly. Be mindful of how to maintain or mature the culture as the company grows and many new people come on board in a short period of time.

Dec 22, 2014CMO

I know that many of us are looking forward to the next release of MarkLogic -- it will help shine a bright light on our NoSQL platform. Compared to the open source technologies, developers will be ... More

It's great working for the leader

Current Employee - Director, Engineering in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Engineering in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong Leadership and Strong Product
    Customer focused culture
    Competitive Pay
    Great opportunities for learning, leadership

Cons

Very hard to keep up with the growth - not enough time to learn all the new sw capabilities or meet the new people.
    Perks not at Facebook/Google level

Start campus recruiting, open more entry level positions to drive growth rather than only adding experienced folks.

Dec 22, 2014CMO

Thank you for your feedback -- I love the idea of starting up a campus recruiting program. Want to help with some planning and brainstorming? Now is the time to get it going to help us keep up with ... More

Great Opportunity for those who look to travel off the beaten path

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic people
    Mature Product that's still growing and innovating
    Motivated Senior Management Team willing to take risks for success
    Culture of promoting the best ideas and supporting creativity
    Fast paced like a start-up, but big enough to have basic structural advantages in place
    Good compensation with excellent benefits

Cons

Market place awareness is the biggest challenge
    Training the field quickly on the technology and large enterprise environments we sell into

Stay the course...and add just a bit of rocket fuel to blast this thing off.

Nov 26, 2014CMO

Thanks so much for the feedback. We're gearing up now for lots of new training, which really has to be a consistent part of the culture. Things change so fast, that we have be sure everyone is on ... More

Small company with a mature product that has momentum behind it

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The technology is complex and amazing. Once you understand the product and how it's being used by (paying) customers in the marketplace you will feel energized. Established customer base gives the company some confidence but the changing marketplace means there is no time to rest on its laurels.

Laid back culture and is small enough that you can make what you can out of your own role. Still a lot of opportunities for growth and change.

Great people - experienced, mostly older professionals (30s+). Hiring in all areas of the company to get new blood and for general growth. I think the culture will change a lot in the next 1-2 years.

Many people in HQ have families so the environment seems conducive to having a life.

Some social opportunities - in person meetings for Technical people, Sales people, Customer events, etc. Active people in the office who run/do yoga/eat lunch together etc.

Cons

Because people are older and have lives outside of work (especially families), can feel a bit quiet in the afternoon/evenings. It's definitely not a start-up vibe, more like a small company.

Not yet a brand name, though hopefully efforts in Marketing and in the product will improve name recognition.

Nov 26, 2014CMO

You make great observations, and I can't disagree. As we bring new people on board, I hope that we can continue to attract people who have as much passion for MarkLogic as they do for their lives ... More

Great product, great people - incredible turnaround from 3 years ago

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Product really is as good as the sales/marketing people say
    - Enthusiastic team members
    - Experienced and talented executive management team

Cons

- Multiple offices = challenges in communication, sometimes things get missed or it just takes longer to get things done
    - Company is still recovering to some degree from the 'dark ages' of the pre-Gary Bloom period - and trying to bring on tons of new employees. Experienced team members wind up having to pick up the slack for a long time while training the newbies.

A better 401(k) match would be nice.

Nov 26, 2014CMO

Thank you for your insight. It is hard to tell the market how incredible the product is without sounding insincere or too hyped. I think it is better than we say in marketing materials.
    I'm
    ... More

Not a startup....boring

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at MarkLogic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches were ok, would have been nice to have them more often as location of office was not ideal. Snacks provided were nice when you wanted a quick bite. Beer bashes are a snooze as it's never more than 10-15 people standing around waiting for the clock to strike 5. Receptionist was always helpful, too bad other support staff weren't. They do have some good, smart people but have gotten "comfortable" there and new, fresh ideas are starting to dry out. Benefits were standard, unlimited PTO was nice.

Cons

Saw many changes mainly in management and Exec team. Each change brought a different way of doing business and values, which often contradicted what was done before and lost some good people as a result (mainly in Engineering). Exec team seems to be very inconsistent in their message they give to employees. No transparency whatsoever, we're adults we can take the good and the bad news. HR has no idea what is going on...that is if you ever saw them around, had good people before that left and the ones that remain are clueless and not visible at all. Office is too big but no one is around to make it feel welcoming, or if they are they are all heads down in their cubicle (accounting). Doesn't feel warm or inviting. No room for growth or different opportunity within company, very limited. Have to move on to get paid what you're really worth.

Be consistent with your message. Employees are not dumb and can read writings on the wall. Value your people and take care of them for you would be nothing without them.

Nov 26, 2014CMO

We appreciate your comments—and will work to address some the concerns that have been shared.

Revolving Door

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at MarkLogic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good technology with loyal media and government customer base. SCs very knowledgeable and helpful to non-techies. Fair compensation package and work/life balance.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for new industry markets. Most Sales Reps hired do not have industry knowledge which is compounded by lack of training. The combination leads to high Sales turnover. Non-HQ offices do not enjoy the same perks as HQ - not even close.

Hire people who know the industry they represent, train them, and offer ongoing training. Better definition of value proposition. Adding some of the HQ perks to all offices would improve morale.

Nov 26, 2014CMO

Thank you for your feedback. Training is one of our focus areas for improvement, and I believe we're making great improvements there. But, having just been to our offices in London, NY and Virginia ... More

Very Good Company Poised for Greatness

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a strong entrepreneurial spirit complemented by a seasoned management team with a track record of successes. Strong growth is in our present and in our future as demonstrated by our huge uptick in customer wins, continued customer pipeline and the pace of quality hiring. The company had a very strong foundation and was ahead of its time with its technology and the market has come to us. We are well positioned as THE leader in our space with a multi-year technology lead over our nearest competitors.

Cons

The company was historically a well-kept secret and it has been an uphill battle to win mindshare in the marketplace. This has improved dramatically in the past few years. As with many accelerating growth companies, resources get stretched thin but our recent hiring has helped to rectify this.

Don't be afraid to highlight successes, both internally and externally.

Sep 30, 2014CMO

Thank you for your feedback. As the NoSQL market starts to be more accepted in the enterprise, we think we're in a great spot to continue the lead. Recent analyst reports like the Forrester Wave put ... More

Great Company / Tough Competition

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

Culture and work / life balance

Cons

Branding and company identity needs improvement.