MarkMonitor Reviews

Mark Frost

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MarkMonitor (Less than a year)

Pros

innovate and Fast Growing with good, experienced leadership

Cons

There are none at this time

Advice to Management

Create a path to advance the careers on non management personnel into in management.

Do not waste your time with this organisation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at MarkMonitor

Pros

None; was a complete waste of 5 years.

Cons

Everything. Poorly organised and badly run.

Advice to Management

Sort it out.

Outdated Tech & Team Culture / Terminates for Convenience

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MarkMonitor full-time

Pros

This place can be totally great if you’re in the right clique. There are plenty of young entry-level people here learning what it’s like to work for a big company that are totally happy, especially in Marketing and Sales. A lot of the old Checkpoint clan watches out for each other and does pretty well. I liked a lot of people here and didn't really have any problems with my co-workers.

Cons

This place is terrible for engineers and technical people from the security, brand protection, and fraud industry. The company makes an art of bringing people in, using their knowledge to train the existing team and spitting them out. They have an auto-immune disease to smart people. Both the new and the old management team have always had a very top-down, ego-driven, superficial approach to managing people. As a result, the company is way behind the times in terms of technology. The tech stack is totally ancient, and we had to spend a lot of time doing crap work because management is so short-term focused that they can never see any business justification in upgrading it. The company is two years behind on almost every major trend in the space. Search, Social, Mobile, you name it. The main focus of the company these days is on their domain business because that is what Thomson Reuters bought them for. Almost every other business area is just being milked. The place is like stuck in 2008 from a recruiting perspective. Think they can hire talented people, put them under less experienced people who can’t develop them and that nobody will care because everyone is so desperate for a job. Inexperienced managers can’t coach or guide anyone on how to do their job, so every year at 360 review time they just ask people why nobody did enough for them lately and put people in a circular firing squad to blame each other. My experience was this. It was one-way street for recruits in engineering. The company hired me for a very special expertise. Then they asked me to totally give my knowledge away so they could train younger, cheaper people from inside my manager’s posse. I didn’t even get credit for half the work I did. I am not a whiner. I sat down with my boss and spoke about my ambitions and how I wanted to learn more and advance my career. I told him I was committed to the company but I wanted to be recognized for my contributions so I could have a career there, that I wanted to advance. That’s when the mean streak kicked in. Without notice, I was assigned to a totally different area outside my expertise. My manager made his displeasure known to my team so I would get slammed at review time. Without warning, after a year of solid work teaching my team how to do what I do, I got terminated. It was humiliating. This is not going to be everybody's experience, but I’ve talked around now, and I know of at least maybe 10 other people in engineering and other technical roles who had similar experiences. Some of them have gone on to do great things, which makes me think the company needs to do some thinking. They seem to be really insecure about ambitious people. Maybe it's because the industry isn't growing enough to reward them, so it's part of their HR strategy to work them out. I don't know. I went on to my next job, and it has been like any job I’ve ever had. I work hard, people like my work, we share knowledge with each other, we advance the company, and we advance each other.

Advice to Management

Not sure what advice to give to MarkMonitor. New CEO seems nice, but not sure what the deal is because I hardly ever spoke with him because I was not in Domains or Brand. If you look on LinkedIn, lots of senior leadership is leaving. Not just the old team, but the new CEO’s new hires as well. Before you go work there, talk to someone who has worked there recently and make sure it’s right for you. For management, I think you need to re-think how you recruit, develop, and advance technical people. You need to get to the root of all this turnover. Maybe start meeting with people down a few levels and outside the big cliques the company has.

Easy and organized work

Current Employee - Senior QA Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior QA Software Engineer

I have been working at MarkMonitor

Pros

Flexible hours and nice people to work with. love the product.

Cons

Not much hikes and no bonus

Advice to Management

Better planing

Meaningful work in a cutting-edge industry.

Current Employee - Brand Analyst in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Brand Analyst in Boise, ID

I have been working at MarkMonitor

Pros

Flexible workplace, excellent team environment though work is primarily done solo, open office with access to management,

Cons

Can sometimes feel isolated depending on what team you're on, software platforms/engineering sometimes slow to respond to needs

Advice to Management

Continue developing better environment of exchange between the different offices.

Run for the hills don't waste your time with this place! (Boise, Idaho location)

Former Employee - CcTLD Specialist in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - CcTLD Specialist in Boise, ID

I worked at MarkMonitor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with. company benefits as in vacation & insurance are very good for Idaho. The Boise HR person is wonderful as well. MarkMonitor being bought out by Thomson Reuters might be their saving grace.

Cons

Management treats employees very poorly, the supervisors try to do their best but sadly their hands are tied when it comes to anything that really matters for the employee. There is apparent favoritism from management (those that have been there for 10+ years) this has created an environment where slackers and brown nosers are rewarded. The pay is horrific for the amount of work that you are forced to do...slave labor...you are expected to work 45+ hours a week. Even though you get a lot of vacation time, there is a double standard when you use it, you have to put up with a lot of snarky remarks from management. Management states that they have an open door policy but if you dare to ask for assistance or imply that you have no bandwidth (and you are not a favorite) all of a sudden you get put on the black list and are told that you don't know how to manage your time and it goes all down hill from there. If you are unfortunate to work there keep your head down and do what you are told (be a yes man) and brown nose like your life depends on it...and you will be fine. The worst management experience that I have ever had the misfortune to live through. I have been in the Idaho workforce for 20+ years. I quit because my health started to suffer. Life is too short!

Advice to Management

None. I am not sure how you sleep at night!

Small company values with big company benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MarkMonitor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since being acquired by Thomson Reuters this small (400+ person) company is now part of a global organization. There's lots of upside still to be explored as a result of this, both in terms of product synergies and career paths for individuals.

Cons

Navigating the resources and systems that Thomson Reuters has in place can be a time-sink. While MarkMonitor is doing a good job of preserving a distinctive culture there's a risk of big-company systems becoming a burden.

Advice to Management

Preserve the distinctive MarkMonitor culture and keep Thomson Reuters from "squashing" us.

Growing Pains

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Boise, ID

I worked at MarkMonitor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is in a growth sector and was recently purchased by multi-national mega-corp Thomson-Reuters. The business model is set up for growth depending on the online counterfeiting market, which shows no sign of slowing down. Software development & QA are working on high end technology. Lots of chances to play with high end systems.

Cons

There are constant 3 way power struggles between QA, Product Development, and the business S.a.a.S group that uses the products. Due to manager personality conflicts, progress is frequently crippled.

Advice to Management

Work out the power struggles and personality conflicts if you want higher retention. Have a sit down with QA and tell them to get over themselves and play nice with the Business Users group, the biggest users of the product.

was a great company.....

I worked at MarkMonitor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

dynamic, pioneering, growing, financially healthy and fun

Cons

product road map execution...so so!!

Advice to Management

drink your own cool aid!!

Great group of people to work with, difficult to get ahead.

Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Boise, ID

I worked at MarkMonitor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very cooperative environment with a fun culture. You acquire an incredible amount of knowledge about brand protection and domain name issues.

Cons

Pay is low for the amount of responsibility and knowledge required. Benefits were also fairly minimal.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to recognize the level of expertise their employees maintain and how long it takes to train and replace a seasoned employee and compensate their people accordingly.

RSS Feed </> Embed