MarkWest Energy Partners

MarkWest Energy Partners Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
3.5

MarkWest Energy Partners President , CEO, and Director, MarkWest Energy GP, L.L.C (General Partner) Frank M. Semple
Frank M. Semple

Friendly People, Good Benefits and Pay

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most everyone within the company is pretty nice, lots of opportunities for advancement, and schedule works pretty good with family life depending on position.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company really

Running Lean

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees and contractors accomplish a lot considering the lack of adequate staffing and support. Perennial winner of industry customer service awards. Casual, flexible work environment. Lots of opportunity to take initiative and grow professionally. Good salary & benefits. Generally friendly, hard-working, competent co-workers.

Cons

Fundamental problems are often unseen (or ignored) by management due to ground-level employees & contractors absorbing the extra workload. Management would rather run lean and let the lower-ranking people pick up the slack. This can infringe on work-life balance and lead to a frustrating environment that seems as if management does not care about the common employee (or, even worse, contractor). Poor communication & formal training.

Do not ignore the needs for the areas of the company that are stretched too thin.

Worst experience of my career. Damaging and abusive out of control management.

Current Employee - Land in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Land in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

paycheck on time; your boss will never fire you for moral issues

Cons

Culture is mafiaesque. Managers feign experience and knowledge of their departments, depending wholly on contractors who end up having more power and value than the managers themselves. Try joining into this scenario as someone who actually knows his job. Drug and alcohol abuse is rampant and there are sexual relationships between all levels, not hidden at all. If you have any self respect it will be hell. Senior management is aware but refuses to do anything.

clean house

Great Leadership and Environment

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Denver, CO

I worked at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Leadership from Managers up to the executive team. They are extremely patient and willing to teach you and bring you up to speed on all areas of the company and current projects.
    Open Communication. The executive team does a great job of communicating with the company and letting everyone know the purpose behind every press release if it isn't apparent.
    Great Compensation and bonus structure. I really get the feeling the Executive team has the employees interests in mind.
    Great Work/Life Balance.

Cons

There aren't really any cons as long as you get your work done. If you need help, Managers and executives have no problem getting there hands dirty when the times are busy. The company believes and demonstrates that they are a team. The company is 100% invested in their employees.

Great, fast growing, high opportunity company.

Current Employee - Operations Accountant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Accountant in Denver, CO

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, bennefits, & opportunity for advancement

Cons

Not much to say here, maybe the software programs used in accounting but overall not unbarable.

Horrible management but good benefits

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are decent, though health insurance "plan" is high-deductible and cost me a lot of money.

Cons

Terrible, horrible managers. I think this was exclusive of my department, I wouldn't write this company off completely. However, upper management is clueless and shouldn't be. People are weird too, will walk by without even making eye contact on a regular basis.

Know who you hire and how they treat your employees. I've never had a worse experience with a manager.

Markwest energy

Current Employee - Process Operator in Houston, PA
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Houston, PA

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best companies I have worked for

Cons

Hiring of new employees is a long process

Good Company, good environment - lots of pressure

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company seems to be preforming well in its industry and market. They have won several customer service awards. They have a very good benefits package and several activities each year to promote fun and charity within the company. Salaries are higher than average and the company hits bonus targets most years. Directors and senior managers are eligible for a stock vesting plan

Cons

The company is an MLP meaning the sole focus is on quarterly distributions to stockholders and cash flow. Depending on the price of natural gas (and, to some degree, oil), the company rides of roller coaster of good times and lean times when it comes to hiring enough people to do the increasing amount of work . There is a constant, unrelenting and ever-increasing workload as the company expands without understanding the impact the additional work has on everyone.

Good news in the form of press releases announcing new plants, partnerships or acquisitions is met with mixed reaction. It's great the company is doing but is the amount of additional work and the people needed to do it fully accounted for? It seems usually the answer is no.

They take great care of their accounting staff.

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Denver, CO

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

benefits, people, positive work environment.

Cons

Lack of organization and poor IT support.

Health Benefits are the Only Benefit at MarkWest

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at MarkWest Energy Partners

Pros

The benefits package was excellent and cost effective to the employee. The company is attentive to employee birthdays and giving at appropriate holidays. As a whole the people at the non-mgmt level are giving/caring individuals who support one another.

Cons

The environment is extremely dynamic requiring quite a bit of flexibility. When one is given direction (often without detail) the course frequently changes making it difficult for any capable person to keep up with what's going on. In my particular case I worked for a micro-manager who set me up for failure on many levels. He would give me an assignment and before I had the opportunity to do the work he would complete it for me.

In general the company can be a great place to work. Only certain individuals need to address their managment style; giving direction with detail and then allowing the person a reasonable amount of time to complete their task. They need to realize that not all people can be as flexible without proper direction/guidence.