MarkWest Energy Partners

MarkWest Energy Partners Reviews

Updated Mar 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

MarkWest Energy Partners President , CEO, and Director, MarkWest Energy GP, L.L.C (General Partner) Frank M. Semple

Frank M. Semple

Great Leadership and Environment

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat Leadership from Managers up to the executive team. They are extremely patient and willing to teach you and bring you up to speed on all areas of the company and current projects.
    Open Communication. The executive team does a great job of communicating with the company and letting everyone know the purpose behind every press release if it isn't apparent.
    Great Compensation and bonus structure. I really get the feeling the Executive team has the employees interests in mind.
    Great Work/Life Balance.

ConsThere aren't really any cons as long as you get your work done. If you need help, Managers and executives have no problem getting there hands dirty when the times are busy. The company believes and demonstrates that they are a team. The company is 100% invested in their employees.

Great, fast growing, high opportunity company.

Operations Accountant (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat pay, bennefits, & opportunity for advancement

ConsNot much to say here, maybe the software programs used in accounting but overall not unbarable.

Horrible management but good benefits

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsBenefits are decent, though health insurance "plan" is high-deductible and cost me a lot of money.

ConsTerrible, horrible managers. I think this was exclusive of my department, I wouldn't write this company off completely. However, upper management is clueless and shouldn't be. People are weird too, will walk by without even making eye contact on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow who you hire and how they treat your employees. I've never had a worse experience with a manager.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Markwest energy

Process Operator (Current Employee)
    Houston, PA

ProsOne of the best companies I have worked for

ConsHiring of new employees is a long process

Good Company, good environment - lots of pressure

Director (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe company seems to be preforming well in its industry and market. They have won several customer service awards. They have a very good benefits package and several activities each year to promote fun and charity within the company. Salaries are higher than average and the company hits bonus targets most years. Directors and senior managers are eligible for a stock vesting plan

ConsThe company is an MLP meaning the sole focus is on quarterly distributions to stockholders and cash flow. Depending on the price of natural gas (and, to some degree, oil), the company rides of roller coaster of good times and lean times when it comes to hiring enough people to do the increasing amount of work . There is a constant, unrelenting and ever-increasing workload as the company expands without understanding the impact the additional work has on everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood news in the form of press releases announcing new plants, partnerships or acquisitions is met with mixed reaction. It's great the company is doing but is the amount of additional work and the people needed to do it fully accounted for? It seems usually the answer is no.

They take great care of their accounting staff.

Staff Accountant (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

Prosbenefits, people, positive work environment.

ConsLack of organization and poor IT support.

Health Benefits are the Only Benefit at MarkWest

Manager (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe benefits package was excellent and cost effective to the employee. The company is attentive to employee birthdays and giving at appropriate holidays. As a whole the people at the non-mgmt level are giving/caring individuals who support one another.

ConsThe environment is extremely dynamic requiring quite a bit of flexibility. When one is given direction (often without detail) the course frequently changes making it difficult for any capable person to keep up with what's going on. In my particular case I worked for a micro-manager who set me up for failure on many levels. He would give me an assignment and before I had the opportunity to do the work he would complete it for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general the company can be a great place to work. Only certain individuals need to address their managment style; giving direction with detail and then allowing the person a reasonable amount of time to complete their task. They need to realize that not all people can be as flexible without proper direction/guidence.

Best Job Ever

ProsThis is one of the most relaxed, open work environments ever. I am never afraid to ask a question, and since I started everyone has been extremely helpful. Working from home occasionally is an option, which is fantastic. I actually enjoy going to work every day!

ConsThe training is non-existent. It's one of those "throw you in the pool to teach you how to swim" kind of places. The only training you really get is training on the company policies, not on your actual job duties. Many of the employees are new and so everyone is still learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up a real training program.

Worked for MarkWest Energy Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MarkWest Energy Partners reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MarkWest Energy Partners CEO Frank M. Semple. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by MarkWest Energy Partners employees.