Market America

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
2.9

James (JR) Ridinger

Pros
  • Pay is at or above market and the benefits are great (in 4 reviews)

• Really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited job security bases on the whims of upper management (in 6 reviews)

• No marketing plan or proven business model (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Mobile Development - it's own ecosystem

Current Employee - Mobile Developer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Mobile Developer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-work with many talented people - the mobile team is full of talent that works cohesively and is eager to create the best products possible, and we always deliver. Most in the department are exceptionally good in at least one area and do our best to cross train the others on whatever we can. There are MANY awesome people at market america to work with outside of just the mobile department-- definitely a friendly environment.

-diversity - Market America has an incredibly diverse staff. Because they do a lot of business in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, UK, Spain, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and more, they have many of those country's natives on staff. It makes for a very unique and enjoyable work environment (assuming you enjoy diversity).

-highly competent management - i won't speak for other departments (there are plenty of reviews for them already for better or worse), but at least the mobile department is run by very competent management that does a fantastic job of keeping morale high regardless of the situation. They have built a lot of trust with developers and work very hard to keep all of us in the loop on as much as possible. They listen to our input and adjust whatever needs adjusting accordingly, from timelines to presenting new ideas to other departments that we may have come up with to improve processes and everything in between. This, in turn has made for very loyal employees that work their butts off to keep them looking good. Cannot say enough good things about the management in this particular department.

-use new technologies - we get our hands on many new technologies (both tangible and non-tangible). Want to play with a new wearable, or get your hands on that shiny new phone? definitely things that happen here. Think it would be a good idea to learn angular.js? Have an idea that could use noSQL? try it!

-encouraged to experiment with new ways of doing things to improve processes - We have freedom to work with above mentioned new technologies as time allows (and the managers try hard to allow some time). This has typically resulted in us coming up with very efficient ways to do our jobs better, as would be expected, so everyone wins. Plus, it scratches that itch most programmers have to create.

-tons of challenging work - market america has some very complex business logic, and they have many different products and platforms on which they do business, which makes for a never ending barrage of new things to learn and problems to solve. I have been at the company for years and never once felt like I had "learned all i could"

-fun - mobile department has fun. yes, we work hard, but we play hard as well. Management takes the team out every quarter or so for some fun thing outside of work, a gesture most appreciated and goes a long way towards team bonding. And yes, maybe there is a nerf gun target in the office...

-great salary/benefits - the salary is good for this area, and there are many benefits, including GREAT health insurance, vision, dental, 401K, etc. (all the normal things). Added benefits that most companies do not have include the ability to purchase market america branded products at an employee discount - and they have a LOT of great products, as well as an on-site nurse. I have found the on-site nurse extremely beneficial. if i ever feel sick, she is able to do a quick analysis and even a strep test on site in minutes, and instead of having to make a trip to the dr to get blood drawn, she can do it in house and save a ton of time.

-the COO- he is heavily engaged in everything at the company, I think most every employee respects him greatly as a leader and a manager. it would be difficult to have a better person in that position.

Cons

-there are two conventions every year, which are always hard deadlines for projects. Sometimes that means working around the clock to meet a deadline for a project and it cannot be helped.

-the process for code deployment is frustrating because it was conceived before version control was "a thing", and there is a lot of tedium involved in positioning code so that it can be deployed. i hear it's being worked on

-not every department works the way the mobile department does, which can be frustrating

Think up a really, truly terrible idea to implement. Pitch it to some key players. See which ones say "yes" and which ones pitch a fit. Ditch the yes-men ASAP

Computer Support

I have been working at Market America

Pros

Friendly environment. Great company. Lots of room for advancement.

Cons

Management is this department is not the best.

Managers need training on proper ways to manage employees.

I love the work I do. The environment is tense much of the time.

I have been working at Market America

Pros

There are some really super people who work there.

Cons

The turnover is unbelievable. A lot of good people leave.

WAIT, Don't do it. Even if you are desperate

Former Employee - ColdFusion Web Developer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - ColdFusion Web Developer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many of the technical people are friendly. Sort of like being in prison and your cellmate treats you nice.

Cons

The only people that seem happy there are people that are 1) Distributor in remote cities and not in Greensboro, which is the home of Satan and 2) College grads who have nothing to compare it too.

I was there 3 months before I got a work assignment. Same as the guy who started with me. We were not allowed to surf, use our own devices, or read a technical book. We were told to sit on our hands basically.

Everyone seems scared that if they put you to work and you don't do well then it will reflect poorly on them. The turnover in Greensboro is high.

Code reviews were a joke. You could code for a week to meet a deadline and a code review would reject it. You did the changes requested and submitted for a review and you would get a different guy who rejected it for something else. Third time in you would get the original guy and he would reject his own suggestions.

I had been unemployed for a few months so I took this job. Worst mistake of my life. I got physically sick from it, and the 11-1/2 months I spent there put me back a year as far as keeping up with popular operating systems and languages.

Even if this is your first job, you owe it to yourself, your spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc... to not work there.

Read through all of these reviews. So many people cannot make this stuff up.

Even the owners hardly visited the corporate office, too good to get down to the farm and talk with the cattle. At the Christmas party, upper management would leave right after announcements, just in time to hit NY or Florida.

No one makes money with their pyramid scheme, except the early distributors..... those days are gone. If you want to be a distributor, you are crazy or have money to just dump on a hobby. One day this company will get shut down.

Clear the upper management, get the owner away from controlling the talent. Get real managers in, not some idiot, but real managers that know how to keep people from quitting. Quit firing people just out of temper or a hangover.

Would not recommend working here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America

Pros

strong entrepreneurial spirit. Still operates like a start up. lots of opportunity.

Cons

Yelling, excessive profanity, and disrespectful behaviors by executives.

Respect employees

A positive and upbeat place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to interact with all aspects of online application development

Cons

Not publicly traded which allows for secretive actions on the part of management

More communication amongst upper management would lessen the overwhelming burden felt by workers in the trenches to meet un-realistic deadlines.

Interesting, fast-paced work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of talented people who work hard to meet and exceed the challenges and deadlines they are given. You get access to benefits right from the start, on-site wellness clinic and nurse practitioner, employee discounts, PTO, and a good number of vacation days throughout the year. Better than some companies I've worked at, not as many as others, but a good middle of the road. Also, pay is good for the area at all tiers in the company.

On a separate note, I did find it interesting in some of the other reviews, there were complaints about the fast pace and willingness to let people go who don't measure up. In my opinion and experience, it tends to create an environment here at Market America which fosters a best-of-the-best talent pool. Those who can't produce, or can't deal with a fast paced environment, tend to leave, and those who continue to disappoint and under-perform are let go.

What I really like about working here is that there is always something interesting to tackle, also that it's relatively easy for anyone to promote an idea or a concept to improve things. All the upper management seems to have an open door policy, including the CEO. There is always some new challenge to grapple with every day, to keep your mind sharp and your problem-solving skills honed.

Cons

As some other folks mentioned, there are a couple weeks in July and a couple weeks at the end of Jan where vacation is restricted because of upcoming trade show events and all the prep work going into them. Some teams tend to suffer from internal politics more than others, which can be frustrating sometimes. And it's a family run business, which comes with a lot of strengths, but some downsides as well.

Being more transparent with the "why" at all levels can be really beneficial. If different teams don't understand why a project has a certain tight timeline, they can get less motivated. Giving the larger vision and the benefit, helps to motivate and engage on all levels. I think we could do that more across the board.

The Worst Place in the Whole World ***BE CAREFUL***

I worked at Market America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

THERE IS NOT A POSITIVE THING ABOUT THIS PLACE

Cons

EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF

Don' be fooled by the positive reviews here, they might be posted by the recruiting team, or Distributors that DO NOT WORK IN THE CORPORATE OFFICES, this place is horrible is the worst mistake I have ever made, and If you are from out of state, please BE AWARE!!

Management does not even have an idea of what they want, they change their minds in the middle of a project. Screaming and yelling is the normal, no respect. It is the WORST back stabbing place and you always have to work to Cover your Rear End. No team work, only finger pointing and blaming for the smallest mistake with an easy solution, but instead of trying to solve an issue, they rather scream and yell and then think about how to find a solution. They are always hiring, but because is the highest rotation I have ever seen I was there a month and that was enough, I just walked away I was not going to take it I have self respect. If you love yourself then don't even think about this place.

Dissorganized

Current Employee - Coldfusion Developer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Coldfusion Developer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, and in a great location

Cons

While the company has a ton of architectural resources, Business analysts, and other key team members, Management goes over their heads constantly and demands projects in grossly unrealistic time lines, and refuses to listen to develolpment. They say they care about our input on the development cycle, but when we give input, it is flat out ignored.

Listen to your developers. We want to enjoy our job. Some of us have been here for a long time, and have invested in you, but this will be a trend that won't continue if some of the comments on this board are not taken seriously.

Life Changing

Current Employee - Unfranchise Owner in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Unfranchise Owner in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Independence, Team work, Loyalty, Energy/Fun, Dedication, Gives you back your time, Amazing products, Wonderful Trainings, Market America is a 'family' and welcomes you with opens arms and is there every step of the way with training.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons with this company.

Keep doing what you're doing! What an amazing company, thank you!