Market America

Market America Reviews

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014

James (JR) Ridinger

Pros
  • Pay is at or above market and the benefits are great (in 4 reviews)

• Really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited job security bases on the whims of upper management (in 6 reviews)

• No marketing plan or proven business model (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A positive and upbeat place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to interact with all aspects of online application development

Cons

Not publicly traded which allows for secretive actions on the part of management

More communication amongst upper management would lessen the overwhelming burden felt by workers in the trenches to meet un-realistic deadlines.

Interesting, fast-paced work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of talented people who work hard to meet and exceed the challenges and deadlines they are given. You get access to benefits right from the start, on-site wellness clinic and nurse practitioner, employee discounts, PTO, and a good number of vacation days throughout the year. Better than some companies I've worked at, not as many as others, but a good middle of the road. Also, pay is good for the area at all tiers in the company.

On a separate note, I did find it interesting in some of the other reviews, there were complaints about the fast pace and willingness to let people go who don't measure up. In my opinion and experience, it tends to create an environment here at Market America which fosters a best-of-the-best talent pool. Those who can't produce, or can't deal with a fast paced environment, tend to leave, and those who continue to disappoint and under-perform are let go.

What I really like about working here is that there is always something interesting to tackle, also that it's relatively easy for anyone to promote an idea or a concept to improve things. All the upper management seems to have an open door policy, including the CEO. There is always some new challenge to grapple with every day, to keep your mind sharp and your problem-solving skills honed.

Cons

As some other folks mentioned, there are a couple weeks in July and a couple weeks at the end of Jan where vacation is restricted because of upcoming trade show events and all the prep work going into them. Some teams tend to suffer from internal politics more than others, which can be frustrating sometimes. And it's a family run business, which comes with a lot of strengths, but some downsides as well.

Being more transparent with the "why" at all levels can be really beneficial. If different teams don't understand why a project has a certain tight timeline, they can get less motivated. Giving the larger vision and the benefit, helps to motivate and engage on all levels. I think we could do that more across the board.

Would not recommend working here.

I worked at Market America

Pros

strong entrepreneurial spirit. Still operates like a start up. lots of opportunity.

Cons

Yelling, excessive profanity, and disrespectful behaviors by executives.

Respect employees

WAIT, Don't do it. Even if you are desperate

Former Employee - ColdFusion Web Developer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - ColdFusion Web Developer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many of the technical people are friendly. Sort of like being in prison and your cellmate treats you nice.

Cons

The only people that seem happy there are people that are 1) Distributor in remote cities and not in Greensboro, which is the home of Satan and 2) College grads who have nothing to compare it too.

I was there 3 months before I got a work assignment. Same as the guy who started with me. We were not allowed to surf, use our own devices, or read a technical book. We were told to sit on our hands basically.

Everyone seems scared that if they put you to work and you don't do well then it will reflect poorly on them. The turnover in Greensboro is high.

Code reviews were a joke. You could code for a week to meet a deadline and a code review would reject it. You did the changes requested and submitted for a review and you would get a different guy who rejected it for something else. Third time in you would get the original guy and he would reject his own suggestions.

I had been unemployed for a few months so I took this job. Worst mistake of my life. I got physically sick from it, and the 11-1/2 months I spent there put me back a year as far as keeping up with popular operating systems and languages.

Even if this is your first job, you owe it to yourself, your spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc... to not work there.

Read through all of these reviews. So many people cannot make this stuff up.

Even the owners hardly visited the corporate office, too good to get down to the farm and talk with the cattle. At the Christmas party, upper management would leave right after announcements, just in time to hit NY or Florida.

No one makes money with their pyramid scheme, except the early distributors..... those days are gone. If you want to be a distributor, you are crazy or have money to just dump on a hobby. One day this company will get shut down.

Clear the upper management, get the owner away from controlling the talent. Get real managers in, not some idiot, but real managers that know how to keep people from quitting. Quit firing people just out of temper or a hangover.

The Worst Place in the Whole World ***BE CAREFUL***

I worked at Market America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

THERE IS NOT A POSITIVE THING ABOUT THIS PLACE

Cons

EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF

Don' be fooled by the positive reviews here, they might be posted by the recruiting team, or Distributors that DO NOT WORK IN THE CORPORATE OFFICES, this place is horrible is the worst mistake I have ever made, and If you are from out of state, please BE AWARE!!

Management does not even have an idea of what they want, they change their minds in the middle of a project. Screaming and yelling is the normal, no respect. It is the WORST back stabbing place and you always have to work to Cover your Rear End. No team work, only finger pointing and blaming for the smallest mistake with an easy solution, but instead of trying to solve an issue, they rather scream and yell and then think about how to find a solution. They are always hiring, but because is the highest rotation I have ever seen I was there a month and that was enough, I just walked away I was not going to take it I have self respect. If you love yourself then don't even think about this place.

Life Changing

Current Employee - Unfranchise Owner in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Unfranchise Owner in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Independence, Team work, Loyalty, Energy/Fun, Dedication, Gives you back your time, Amazing products, Wonderful Trainings, Market America is a 'family' and welcomes you with opens arms and is there every step of the way with training.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons with this company.

Keep doing what you're doing! What an amazing company, thank you!

rapid pace evnironment

Current Employee - Anonymous in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is opportunity to grow within the company whether it is in your original department or around in other departments in the company. Another perk is the onsite health clinic that helps a lot with allergies, colds and other basic health needs. The compensation is fair, the benefits are very good and the people you work with are simply amazing. It's a rapid pace environment that is constantly evolving and the management team is very passionate about the success of the business and its distributors.

Cons

When you start you don't get a lot of PTO. However, after you've been there for one year it does get a bit more reasonable.

Keep building with the productive and positive directors and managers you have. Institute more criteria for those positions so that you get better qualified people in those positions and are able to build a stronger core for the departmental management.

Dissorganized

Current Employee - Coldfusion Developer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Coldfusion Developer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, and in a great location

Cons

While the company has a ton of architectural resources, Business analysts, and other key team members, Management goes over their heads constantly and demands projects in grossly unrealistic time lines, and refuses to listen to develolpment. They say they care about our input on the development cycle, but when we give input, it is flat out ignored.

Listen to your developers. We want to enjoy our job. Some of us have been here for a long time, and have invested in you, but this will be a trend that won't continue if some of the comments on this board are not taken seriously.

A rapidly growing - family owned and operated company; take a look.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Market America has much to offer people at an entry level as well as those who are seasoned professionals. The benefits are generous and depending on the position, compensation ranges from fair to good. The environment is casual, but at times can be very charged and energetic. Bottom line, I've been here more than 5 years and I am satisfied.

Cons

As I mentioned, Market America can at times be very charged and energetic - for the faint at heart, or thin skinned; this can be a challenge. The bottom line is that this company is in business to make money, not to make you, or me absolutely love our positions and love working here - that part is up to us. You make of it what you want. At MA, we sometimes fly by the seat of our pants and that basically falls under the philosophy of - GET THE JOB DONE and above all else, make our distributors happy - because they are the reason we are here.

Hang on to the good directors and managers you currently have working for you; you need to build a more solid core. Need much improvement in the area of retention; consider hiring a retention recruiter.

Extremely toxic work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was close to home, so I had a very short commute.

They have an on premise health clinic for your basic healthcare needs. The clinic was very handy for flu shots, basic colds, allergies, etc.

Compensation was ok.

Cons

Very poor work/life balance. Employees are given very little paid time off, and there are lots of black out dates when time off can not be used. Vacation time can not be carried over to the next year. Employees earn so little time off, that they are forced to come into work when sick and then transmit their illness on to their employees. If there is a stomach bug, cold, or flu going around, you can guarantee you will get it.

Yelling is the most common form of communication at the Corporate Office. It is also normal to experience people crying at their desks.

There is an extremely high turnover rate. It may look like they are always hiring because they are growing. In reality they are constantly hiring because everyone that works there starts looking for a new job almost immediately after starting there. They also lay off employees quite frequently. Management could just be having a bad day and lay you off. They also like to do a lot of these lay offs right before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It is the first place I have worked where I was genuinely worried someone might get trampled on the way out of the door in the evening. As soon as the clock strikes 4 there is a mass exodus. Everyone can't seem to run to their cars fast enough when it is time for lunch and at the end of the day. Everyone also looks like zombies at work.

To say the morale is at rock bottom would be an understatement.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Stop operating as though you are still a small home based business. You have grown to large for your current management structure. Stop hiring management based on family ties or family friendships. Choose people based on their ability to do the job. Work on your benefits package. Yelling at people as a way of daily communication is not professional, or effective.