Market America Reviews

Updated April 28, 2015
78 reviews filtered by
James (JR) Ridinger

Pros
  • Pay is at or above market and the benefits are great (in 4 reviews)

• Really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited job security bases on the whims of upper management (in 6 reviews)

• No marketing plan or proven business model (in 3 reviews)

1. Unique mid-sized company; lots of potential (for you)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High energy, fair pay, good benefits, lots of room to grow. There is a health services clinic in the building which is a great benefit.

Cons

Many in positions of leadership can at times be a little too aggressive and react more emotionally than you might find elsewhere. Provided you're not an incredibly over-sensitive person and you do your job as directed - no worries.

Advice to Management

Treat your people professionally and you will garner more respect from them.

2. Great company to work for! Everyone is helpful!

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Market America as an intern

Pros

I worked in the Product Development department and did a lot of marketing and writing. It was my first experience in this realm or work during my stint in college and I loved it!

Cons

There was no real direction or training as to what the job would entail, you would just kind of learn as you went along.

Management is everything opposite to professional.

Current Employee - MIS in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - MIS in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America

Pros

Great colleagues to work with.

Cons

Poor pay, below the average.

Advice to Management

For your own good, hire someone professional, and let him or her do the job.

Waste !

I worked at Market America

Pros

Flexible, nice people,

Cons

Transfer to buy, no support, investment is too much

Very mixed climate here - Be mindful of where you will be working, and for whom you will be working.

Current Employee - Programmer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Programmer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning opportunities - we are given time to learn new technologies, either out managers ignorance, or benevolence. It's hard to tell.

Reasonable equipment. Most of the IT staff have Macbook Pros.

Occasional opportunities to see/meet famous people at our twice yearly conventions.

Pay is sufficient for the area and cost of living, however this is relative to your manager, your ability to negotiate, and how marketable your skills are elsewhere.

Cons

There are few strong leaders here and the loudest voices are outdated and ignorant - often wrong.

Internal processes here are very poorly structured. HR, data entry and ordering runs like it is the early 90's.

Overall productivity is low, unless its convention time - then we are stuck with more work than we can possible finish with impossible deadlines.

General job satisfaction is low - most employees in IT are actively looking for other jobs, but Coldfusion is notoriously hard to find a job in.

Employee turnover is high. The main working area for IT is eerily empty. Long tables where some people are crammed together, and others are given an entire table to themselves. Sometimes it works out ok for you, sometimes not.

Different groups in IT fight against each other, often eliminating progress.

Everyone is very entrenched in their roles - upper management are all family or friends of family. There is no room for growth here.

Convention time brings extremely long hours with a slap in the face as a reward - donuts or pizza.

Advice to Management

Stop spending your days in meetings with only directors and architects. There is a reason why democracies function better than monarchies or oligarchies

Spend more money on equipment and employee perks - Nobody wants to work where the coffee sucks, the bathrooms smell and they cant even get new equipment without asking the CEO of the company.

Embrace technology changes, and new ideas.

Hire younger people. Us older people know better when we are being treated poorly.

Enforce nepotism rules - It's rampant here, and has to stop.

7. Mobile Development - it's own ecosystem

Current Employee - Mobile Developer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Mobile Developer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-work with many talented people - the mobile team is full of talent that works cohesively and is eager to create the best products possible, and we always deliver. Most in the department are exceptionally good in at least one area and do our best to cross train the others on whatever we can. There are MANY awesome people at market america to work with outside of just the mobile department-- definitely a friendly environment.

-diversity - Market America has an incredibly diverse staff. Because they do a lot of business in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, UK, Spain, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and more, they have many of those country's natives on staff. It makes for a very unique and enjoyable work environment (assuming you enjoy diversity).

-highly competent management - i won't speak for other departments (there are plenty of reviews for them already for better or worse), but at least the mobile department is run by very competent management that does a fantastic job of keeping morale high regardless of the situation. They have built a lot of trust with developers and work very hard to keep all of us in the loop on as much as possible. They listen to our input and adjust whatever needs adjusting accordingly, from timelines to presenting new ideas to other departments that we may have come up with to improve processes and everything in between. This, in turn has made for very loyal employees that work their butts off to keep them looking good. Cannot say enough good things about the management in this particular department.

-use new technologies - we get our hands on many new technologies (both tangible and non-tangible). Want to play with a new wearable, or get your hands on that shiny new phone? definitely things that happen here. Think it would be a good idea to learn angular.js? Have an idea that could use noSQL? try it!

-encouraged to experiment with new ways of doing things to improve processes - We have freedom to work with above mentioned new technologies as time allows (and the managers try hard to allow some time). This has typically resulted in us coming up with very efficient ways to do our jobs better, as would be expected, so everyone wins. Plus, it scratches that itch most programmers have to create.

-tons of challenging work - market america has some very complex business logic, and they have many different products and platforms on which they do business, which makes for a never ending barrage of new things to learn and problems to solve. I have been at the company for years and never once felt like I had "learned all i could"

-fun - mobile department has fun. yes, we work hard, but we play hard as well. Management takes the team out every quarter or so for some fun thing outside of work, a gesture most appreciated and goes a long way towards team bonding. And yes, maybe there is a nerf gun target in the office...

-great salary/benefits - the salary is good for this area, and there are many benefits, including GREAT health insurance, vision, dental, 401K, etc. (all the normal things). Added benefits that most companies do not have include the ability to purchase market america branded products at an employee discount - and they have a LOT of great products, as well as an on-site nurse. I have found the on-site nurse extremely beneficial. if i ever feel sick, she is able to do a quick analysis and even a strep test on site in minutes, and instead of having to make a trip to the dr to get blood drawn, she can do it in house and save a ton of time.

-the COO- he is heavily engaged in everything at the company, I think most every employee respects him greatly as a leader and a manager. it would be difficult to have a better person in that position.

Cons

-there are two conventions every year, which are always hard deadlines for projects. Sometimes that means working around the clock to meet a deadline for a project and it cannot be helped.

-the process for code deployment is frustrating because it was conceived before version control was "a thing", and there is a lot of tedium involved in positioning code so that it can be deployed. i hear it's being worked on

-not every department works the way the mobile department does, which can be frustrating

Advice to Management

Think up a really, truly terrible idea to implement. Pitch it to some key players. See which ones say "yes" and which ones pitch a fit. Ditch the yes-men ASAP

8. Computer Support

I have been working at Market America

Pros

Friendly environment. Great company. Lots of room for advancement.

Cons

Management is this department is not the best.

Advice to Management

Managers need training on proper ways to manage employees.

I love the work I do. The environment is tense much of the time.

I have been working at Market America

Pros

There are some really super people who work there.

Cons

The turnover is unbelievable. A lot of good people leave.

WAIT, Don't do it. Even if you are desperate

Former Employee - ColdFusion Web Developer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - ColdFusion Web Developer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the technical people are friendly. Sort of like being in prison and your cellmate treats you nice.

Cons

The only people that seem happy there are people that are 1) Distributor in remote cities and not in Greensboro, which is the home of Satan and 2) College grads who have nothing to compare it too.

I was there 3 months before I got a work assignment. Same as the guy who started with me. We were not allowed to surf, use our own devices, or read a technical book. We were told to sit on our hands basically.

Everyone seems scared that if they put you to work and you don't do well then it will reflect poorly on them. The turnover in Greensboro is high.

Code reviews were a joke. You could code for a week to meet a deadline and a code review would reject it. You did the changes requested and submitted for a review and you would get a different guy who rejected it for something else. Third time in you would get the original guy and he would reject his own suggestions.

I had been unemployed for a few months so I took this job. Worst mistake of my life. I got physically sick from it, and the 11-1/2 months I spent there put me back a year as far as keeping up with popular operating systems and languages.

Even if this is your first job, you owe it to yourself, your spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc... to not work there.

Read through all of these reviews. So many people cannot make this stuff up.

Even the owners hardly visited the corporate office, too good to get down to the farm and talk with the cattle. At the Christmas party, upper management would leave right after announcements, just in time to hit NY or Florida.

No one makes money with their pyramid scheme, except the early distributors..... those days are gone. If you want to be a distributor, you are crazy or have money to just dump on a hobby. One day this company will get shut down.

Advice to Management

Clear the upper management, get the owner away from controlling the talent. Get real managers in, not some idiot, but real managers that know how to keep people from quitting. Quit firing people just out of temper or a hangover.

Would not recommend working here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America

Pros

strong entrepreneurial spirit. Still operates like a start up. lots of opportunity.

Cons

Yelling, excessive profanity, and disrespectful behaviors by executives.

Advice to Management

Respect employees