Market America

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014
2.8

James (JR) Ridinger

Pros
  • Pay is at or above market and the benefits are great (in 4 reviews)

• Really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited job security bases on the whims of upper management (in 6 reviews)

• No marketing plan or proven business model (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A rapidly growing - family owned and operated company; take a look.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Market America has much to offer people at an entry level as well as those who are seasoned professionals. The benefits are generous and depending on the position, compensation ranges from fair to good. The environment is casual, but at times can be very charged and energetic. Bottom line, I've been here more than 5 years and I am satisfied.

Cons

As I mentioned, Market America can at times be very charged and energetic - for the faint at heart, or thin skinned; this can be a challenge. The bottom line is that this company is in business to make money, not to make you, or me absolutely love our positions and love working here - that part is up to us. You make of it what you want. At MA, we sometimes fly by the seat of our pants and that basically falls under the philosophy of - GET THE JOB DONE and above all else, make our distributors happy - because they are the reason we are here.

Hang on to the good directors and managers you currently have working for you; you need to build a more solid core. Need much improvement in the area of retention; consider hiring a retention recruiter.

Extremely toxic work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was close to home, so I had a very short commute.

They have an on premise health clinic for your basic healthcare needs. The clinic was very handy for flu shots, basic colds, allergies, etc.

Compensation was ok.

Cons

Very poor work/life balance. Employees are given very little paid time off, and there are lots of black out dates when time off can not be used. Vacation time can not be carried over to the next year. Employees earn so little time off, that they are forced to come into work when sick and then transmit their illness on to their employees. If there is a stomach bug, cold, or flu going around, you can guarantee you will get it.

Yelling is the most common form of communication at the Corporate Office. It is also normal to experience people crying at their desks.

There is an extremely high turnover rate. It may look like they are always hiring because they are growing. In reality they are constantly hiring because everyone that works there starts looking for a new job almost immediately after starting there. They also lay off employees quite frequently. Management could just be having a bad day and lay you off. They also like to do a lot of these lay offs right before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It is the first place I have worked where I was genuinely worried someone might get trampled on the way out of the door in the evening. As soon as the clock strikes 4 there is a mass exodus. Everyone can't seem to run to their cars fast enough when it is time for lunch and at the end of the day. Everyone also looks like zombies at work.

To say the morale is at rock bottom would be an understatement.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Stop operating as though you are still a small home based business. You have grown to large for your current management structure. Stop hiring management based on family ties or family friendships. Choose people based on their ability to do the job. Work on your benefits package. Yelling at people as a way of daily communication is not professional, or effective.

Hostile, threatening, dysfunctional business with no management morals

I have been working at Market America

Pros

Almost anyone can get hired here. Some funny people

Cons

Hostile, threatening environment. Employees run scared for their jobs every day. Management and HR do not comply with most basic federal employment laws. Exceedingly high turnover. Positions go unfilled for long periods due to new hires quitting within weeks of being hired. Employees harassed verbally and electronically by managers . Retaliation by HR for asking questions regarding procedures, Personal invasion of employees and their families privacy during off work hours

Shore up HR and management to stop non adherence to the law before nobody will work there, there are government fines or lawsuits. The infrastructure is already severely crumbling.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Market America

Current Employee - Distributor Services Representative  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Distributor Services Representative in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time for more than a year

Pros

PTO on all major holidays

Cons

All departments have conflicting answers,
    Horrible management and policies

Everyone needs to have a consistent and concise answer for the same issue, there can't be conflicting answers for the same issue.

Not a bad place to spend a couple of transitional years

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Accountant in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time for more than a year

Pros

High camaraderie among teammates, great place to gain some skills, and to make new friends and business contacts.

Cons

Low pay, practically non-existent 401k. Company is privately owned -- owners are very hands-on and successful, but frequently overreact to bad news and tend to "kill the messenger", leading to a general sense of fear around the office when they are in town. Most salaried employees are required to attend two conferences and perform menial tasks unrelated to their current positions with the company, such as assigning marketing professionals to a week of ticket sales.

Get out while you are still able to control your landing spot.

No Beef, yet....

I have been working at Market America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dynamic, growing company with a great potential

Cons

NO ERP/inventory control Master system in place- WAY too much manual processing of large $ of inventory

Invest in a major system to control/manage inventory on a real time basis

It has been the best career move of mine yet.

I have been working at Market America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Each day brings a new challenge. I love that it is fast paced and my team is really great. So many great people working at MA. We are a big a family. I really love working here. I really hate some of the reviews I read, as I have not find any one them to be true for me.

Cons

The only challenge I have had is my computer. I have one screen, and could use two.

Great place to work

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for growth with a stable growing company. No mass layoffs like many companies in this economy.
    You get to work for a private company which the owner is invested in it's growth unlike many public companies with the CEO and other C-Level employees looking for a golden parachute.

Cons

Continue to improve company benefits.

Continue to ask for employee opinions on ways to improve.

Toxic Place to Work. Think twice before accepting a job here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was decent for the job I did. The actual job itself was fun and I learned a lot while being there. Majority of the people I worked with were professional and friendly.

Cons

Management doesn't know how to treat employees. Many times I've sat in meeting where we were treated like children and yelled at. Cussed at. Our jobs were threatened regularly. If employees were treated better the turnover rate wouldn't be half as bad and all the excellent people they hired would probably have stayed.

Treat employees better and don't cuss them out, ask crazy things of them or make them feel like they are going to be replaced at any moment. Take your own advice, build relationships with the people working for you. Make your employees feel valued and appreciated. You have great people working for you that you hired to do a job so let them do it. Don't micromanage everything. Trust the people you hire. They are good and can do the job better then you might think if you gave them space to do it.

Shop.com and Market America- a great place to work!

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

I work with an awesome group of people, work-life balance/flexibility is important to me and the company, good benefits and other perks, cutting edge technology used to develop our websites and systems, the company values and pays for employee development.

Cons

Remote employees can sometimes feel disconnected, but we are working on solving this challenge.

Keep providing a fun, flexible place to work!

Worked for Market America? Contribute to the Community!