Market America Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
James (JR) Ridinger

Pros
  • Pay is at or above market and the benefits are great (in 4 reviews)

• Really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited job security bases on the whims of upper management (in 6 reviews)

• No marketing plan or proven business model (in 3 reviews)

1. MA is my jam!

Current Employee - Market America Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Market America Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

Lots of friendly people! Lots.

Cons

Weekends off is the only con I think of. :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great woek!

2. It's the place to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great place to work.

Cons

I really cannot think of any!

3. Paralegal

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America (More than a year)

Pros

People - it is a good place for some people and not so good for most people.

Cons

Management and lack of true HR or ethics

do not work here unless you are desperate

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it's a nice building and they offer good pay and benefits and you will probably have good computers, etc.

Cons

it is cut throat and there is a revolving door for employees who somehow, for whatever reason, displease anyone with any power. also, you will be overworked for the pay. also, you only get 10 days a year for vacation, sick, personal, everything. not enough time off.

Advice to Management

be grateful for the employees who are qualified, try to do the work well and want a job.

Unless you're related, you can forget it

Former Employee - Field Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America (More than a year)

Pros

They have benefits. Not very good ones. But they have them. But if they randomly terminate you, as they tend to do, they will immediately terminate all your benefits with no grace period, and try to keep all your PTO

Cons

You will never move up in the company unless your last name is Ashley, or Ridinger. They terminate their employees on a whim, no notice, no reason. They do not care if you have a family. If they can find someone without a citizenship, who will do your job cheaper, then see ya! The execs talk to their employees like dogs, yell, scream cuss, name call. They are stingy with raises, and will look for any reason to not give you one. Though I worked full-time, was always punctual, always worked even when sick, bc our PTO was so limited, and even revamped our entire system on how we functioned, because my boss was incompetent and we weren't as efficient as we could be, they let me go and kept the girl i trained, and the only explanation i got was. "we're terminating your position". A little honesty, like, the girl you trained speaks spanish, and we pay her less, would have probably been less hurtful, though she doesn't own a home and doesn't have kids, and I do, and we will soon be homeless. Thanks Market America. Glad I could make your department more efficient so you could replace me for a person on a work Visa. By the way, I didn't teach her how to do weekly reports, and she doesn't know how to do our numbers, and neither does the manager because he's a bumbling fool, you should push into retirement. Enjoy!

Advice to Management

Realize that the people who work for you, ARE PEOPLE. they have homes, and families, and bills, and children with special needs, and you treat them like replaceable cattle.

Culture of Fear

Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On-site health clinic and the little convenience store they added onto the breakroom were nice. The area, Greensboro, is lovely.

Cons

Worked there for four years, and saw more than my fair share of employees screamed at, sworn at, etc. by upper management. I saw everything from people having their jobs threatened in front of co-workers, profanity laced screaming matches in the hallways, people crying in their cubicles, you name it. If you worked there you were either brand new, or desperately trying to find a new job.

Advice to Management

Stop with the childish antics. You'll get more done with happy employees.

Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well let me think. There isn't many Pros. Probably Salary Compensation. Nice Co-workers.

Cons

Where do I start. Well, many of the true reviews listed here about this company are very accurate. It's mostly about how Management treats their employees. They are spoiled brats that do not know how to treat employees or any human being with respect. IF you don't mind being yelled at, cussed at, and treated like you are stupid then this is the place for you. Only way I would recommend someone to work there would be if there was absolutely no way you could in contact with Management and if you had a great Manager. But truthfully, All the Management staff below Upper Management are so scared of standing up to them that they will not take up for you. I worked there 7 years and have never been treated at a work place like they treated me. I wasn't the only one. obviously. I would recommend this company only as a last resort and then I would be looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

What goes around comes around. Karma is a funny thing. Hope you all wake up before it's too late. You have the possibility of being one of the Top Companies to work for. But unless you treat people better you will never see that come to fruition.

buyer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gibsonville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gibsonville, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

challenging, sometimes unpredictable

Cons

emotional management, high turnover rate

Continuous growth

Current Employee - Director of Mobile Development in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Director of Mobile Development in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

Market America, always has new projects to work on and is continuously working on new technologies. Working in a growing area such as mobile we have a great growth opportunity that lets you learn from great people who are also passionate about what they do and are focused on doing new things and growing their career. We have mobile web developers, work with responsive design, native iOS , Android, and hybrid application development. We work with new technologies, API's in retail, health and nutrition, music, video streaming and large databases. We have a lot of fun and want to continue to do so with people who want to learn and grow.

Cons

Lots of work to do and not enough time.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow, let employees make decision and bring good ideas to the table.

There are a lot of incredibly talented and friendly people here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Each day is different and as someone who believes in continual education I can honestly say I learn something new every day. After my initial “probation period” where I was still learning the ropes my manager began empowering me to make decisions within my department and role giving me the go ahead to try new things. Some things worked and others didn’t but we’ve always set time to review what happened discuss and move forward. The most important thing for me at any job is trust and respect. I have continued to feel both during my time with Market America which includes my dealings with upper management. There are a lot of great, incredibly talented and friendly people here. The pay is about average and the benefits are quite good.

Cons

Market America started as a small family business (which is why most of the upper management is either family, or friends of family), with now over 500 employees it’s still run like a small business. While that’s not necessarily a bad thing, it sometimes bottlenecks progress and can cause people to get loud when they don’t feel like things are moving the way they should. I try not to take that personally, because if I poured 20+ years of my life into something I know I would be passionate about it as well. There are some managers who aren’t the best communicators which doesn’t help when there are tight deadlines.

Advice to Management

Require department managers to have some form of communication training so they can continually get better at their positions. Maybe implement an anonymous manager review system so the people under them can tell you where they feel things are lacking so you can help them become more effective leaders.

RSS Feed </> Embed