Market America
www.marketamerica.com Greensboro, NC 500 to 999 Employees

Market America Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

James (JR) Ridinger

Pros:
  • "Company benefits and pay is high, but possibly to make up for the high turnover that would happen if not for the overcompensation"
    in 2 reviews
  • "There is opportunity to learn as long as you have the right manager"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited job security bases on the whims of upper management"
    in 6 reviews
  • "No marketing plan or proven business model"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No Beef, yet....

ProsDynamic, growing company with a great potential

ConsNO ERP/inventory control Master system in place- WAY too much manual processing of large $ of inventory

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a major system to control/manage inventory on a real time basis

It has been the best career move of mine yet.

ProsEach day brings a new challenge. I love that it is fast paced and my team is really great. So many great people working at MA. We are a big a family. I really love working here. I really hate some of the reviews I read, as I have not find any one them to be true for me.

ConsThe only challenge I have had is my computer. I have one screen, and could use two.

Great place to work

ProsGreat opportunity for growth with a stable growing company. No mass layoffs like many companies in this economy.
    You get to work for a private company which the owner is invested in it's growth unlike many public companies with the CEO and other C-Level employees looking for a golden parachute.

ConsContinue to improve company benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to ask for employee opinions on ways to improve.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Market America

Distributor Services Representative (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsPTO on all major holidays

ConsAll departments have conflicting answers,
    Horrible management and policies

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone needs to have a consistent and concise answer for the same issue, there can't be conflicting answers for the same issue.

Not a bad place to spend a couple of transitional years

Accountant (Former Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsHigh camaraderie among teammates, great place to gain some skills, and to make new friends and business contacts.

ConsLow pay, practically non-existent 401k. Company is privately owned -- owners are very hands-on and successful, but frequently overreact to bad news and tend to "kill the messenger", leading to a general sense of fear around the office when they are in town. Most salaried employees are required to attend two conferences and perform menial tasks unrelated to their current positions with the company, such as assigning marketing professionals to a week of ticket sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out while you are still able to control your landing spot.

Toxic Place to Work. Think twice before accepting a job here.

(Former Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsPay was decent for the job I did. The actual job itself was fun and I learned a lot while being there. Majority of the people I worked with were professional and friendly.

ConsManagement doesn't know how to treat employees. Many times I've sat in meeting where we were treated like children and yelled at. Cussed at. Our jobs were threatened regularly. If employees were treated better the turnover rate wouldn't be half as bad and all the excellent people they hired would probably have stayed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better and don't cuss them out, ask crazy things of them or make them feel like they are going to be replaced at any moment. Take your own advice, build relationships with the people working for you. Make your employees feel valued and appreciated. You have great people working for you that you hired to do a job so let them do it. Don't micromanage everything. Trust the people you hire. They are good and can do the job better then you might think if you gave them space to do it.

There aren't enough bad things to say about the management at Market America...

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsThis company has some good products and concepts...great coworkers...decent pay...and an on-staff nurse that is great when you need her.

ConsNone of the management has had any training or experience with managing people. They have no concept of cultivating the talent they have right in front of them. No effort is made to build teams or loyalty. It's a volatile environment everywhere you look. They only know how to micromanage and demean their employees...Perhaps it's to make themselves feel better or more powerful?...they all seem so weak and fragile in character...thus they express very low opinions of everyone...even though they chose to hire you. Do not expect to be allowed to do the 'job' you are hired for. If at all possible...avoid this company at all costs. Your career, reputation and well-being will thank you for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake management courses. Stop being so arbitrary about everything! Learn how to give positive, corrective criticism so that your employees will WANT to work harder and do more for you. You have some wonderfully talented people working for you...appreciate them, and their unique skills. Allow them to do the job you've hired them to do. This could be a good place to work...if only management would learn how to manage people...

Shop.com and Market America- a great place to work!

ProsI work with an awesome group of people, work-life balance/flexibility is important to me and the company, good benefits and other perks, cutting edge technology used to develop our websites and systems, the company values and pays for employee development.

ConsRemote employees can sometimes feel disconnected, but we are working on solving this challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep providing a fun, flexible place to work!

Unique, stable and growing organization

ProsThe company is extremely innovative and utilizes the most current technology. The people there make it a great environment. The continued growth and profitability allow opportunities for advancement. Pay is at or above market and the benefits are great.

ConsThe expense approval process can be lengthy at times. However, expenses are managed carefully to ensure profitability and growth.

Good place to work except for no job security. They walk people out the door all the time without warning.

Fixer Upper (Former Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsGreat employees to work with as long as they're not executives.
    Nice working conditions
    Good salary and vacations.

ConsThe executives often fire people without any warning or explanation. There is no job security at this company at all. Best approach to working here is to consider yourself as a self employed contract worker, working a series of one day contracts. Just because you have a job today, doesn't mean you'll have one tomorrow. You can have a job here... you cannot have a carrer.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on your greed and give a little thought to the people who work for you. You care more about the dogs in your lobby than about your employees. Put a written warning plan in place to give employees a chance instead of firing them instantly.

Worked for Market America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Market America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Market America CEO James (JR) Ridinger. All 59 reviews posted anonymously by Market America employees.